Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

21 minutes ago, troph said:

Saban does not coach to emotion he coaches to focus and execution and his approach actually down plays and tries to remove excess emotion. If you can’t see that you haven’t really paid attention. That’s sark’s way too. Like it or not, you aren’t going to get sark going rah rah for Texas OU. It’s not going to happen. But let’s see what happens the rest of the way out and in Arlington if that happens before we judge. 

Saban has had so much talent advantage over the years that he didn't have to. It's been that way for Kirby the last couple of years too. Now that other teams are narrowing the talent gap, you don't see the same Bama dominance anymore.

Edit: Saban also keeps his players on short leashes. He benched a QB who won a national championship! He finds ways to keep his players playing with high intensity in every game. You can't just emulate one aspect of his coaching and ignore others and expect to be as successful as he has been.

Edited by UTEE97

41 minutes ago, Constant said:

Which was the difference between winning and losing. No one saw that coming.

I had a good feeling about OU dline hanging tough, but I thought the oline was in for a long day. I was pleasantly surprised. 

This was biggest surprise for me as well.  And pretty sure we discussed this as why I slightly leaned Texas cover coming into game (in the thread with all the massive overconfidence on this site that OU couldn't compete which went about like I thought).

I don't think D or PK adjusted well during game. And obviously want that last drive back.  But our DL's inability to control the LOS absolutely was biggest surprise and difference in game.  That and absolute shit tackling which we have not seen at all this season to date.   If our DL plays like that against Bama, and we tackle like that against Bama, we lose that game by 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sure, the personnel has changed somewhat from the mindfucked teams of the past, but a lot of that change involves people who've never played this game before and quite a few whose only experience was last year's dooky stomp together with some fairly inexplicable losses.

This. 

The blame for the loss is widespread. Some of it is on players not doing their jobs, some of it is on the coaches not doing theirs.

We lost in the exact same way we lost to Bama last year: we kicked a FG for a narrow lead with time running out, and turned the game over to the D... and they couldn't do it. 

I still think the ultimate problem is that the HC game management is hamstrung by his concentration on being the OC and not having focus on the whole game. As OC, he did his job and had the game all but won, after 58 1/2 minutes... the DC was not able to hold on. Sure, the OC coulda put more points up, but the HC shoulda had the ability to help the DC do something other than bending, bending... and breaking.

I don't think we're going to reach that juggernaut place we thought we were headed for until the HC starts running the whole team. I still don't think he can wear two hats and not let us fall on our ass when we run into a team with equal or nearly equal players and coaches. I don't know whether Lavell Edwards was his own Coordinator, but I do know Saban isn't... thought Sarkisian had learned that, but maybe not. 

All that said, Bama didn't win every game they played in all their championship seasons... just the last few. We're still in that window, and we can get through it and hoist that NC trophy. 

Hook'em.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Saban has had so much talent advantage over the years that he didn't have to. It's been that way for Kirby the last couple of years too. Now that other teams are narrowing the talent gap, you don't see the same Bama dominance anymore.

You want a dynasty you want consistent winning emotion is not your ally. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

You want a dynasty you want consistent winning emotion is not your ally. 

I edited my earlier post to add that Saban has had other ways of keeping his players engaged. You can't just copy one of his coaching traits and expect to be as successful as him.

This team has 3 turnovers and was 1-3 in the red zone.  These dudes couldn’t get 1 yard on 4 attempts.  It didn’t matter what you called, our butts got whooped and we still had a chance to win it.  That’s on the players.  Quinn fumbling the balls and throwing a bad interception on the first series and JT sanders dropping a sure TD are on the players.  It’s on the players like Gbenda and Jerrin Thompson to communicate and a game winning drive and not WRs run free into the end zone.  ou came in with a masterful game plan.  We got beat and that’s okay.  I wasn’t expecting an undefeated season this year and this team is likely waxes ou if they play even remotely decently.  Let’s clean up the penalties, get healthy, and work on limiting turnovers and no reason we should be looking at a rematch with those sooner fucks.  Gabriel isn’t going to have a career day running the ball again.  They know it too. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

So... angry people don't win football games?

Determined and focused, prepared and consistent. I think that’s what most people think of when they say emotion or angry. But they look for the evidence in displays of emotion. That’s not the same thing.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

I edited my earlier post to add that Saban has had other ways of keeping his players engaged. You can't just copy one of his coaching traits and expect to be as successful as him.

Sark’s doing a lot more than copying one trait of saban’s. He’s in year three and one play away from 6-0 with the best resume in college football todate. As it stands we win out and beat OU and we are the top 1 loss team. Saban won several championships that way. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Saban's way is he has two or three badasses ready to play one position and whoever the starter is has been told "I put you here, I can take you out and I won't care, I have another one just like you". When they are all aspiring to the NFL the threat that they could lose their spot under Saban and what that might say about them to the league is a strong motivator.   NIL/portal etc may be changing some of that but ultimately players know their spot is on the line every day in practice and every Saturday in games.

• Hook 'Em 1

Coaching execution and player execution are the reasons to explain why Texas lost. That’s determination and focus not emotion. We’re texas and lack of desire didn’t lose this. Some of y’all post like you’ve never played a competitive sport. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

Saban's way is he has two or three badasses ready to play one position and whoever the starter is has been told "I put you here, I can take you out and I won't care, I have another one just like you". When they are all aspiring to the NFL the threat that they could lose their spot under Saban and what that might say about them to the league is a strong motivator.   NIL/portal etc may be changing some of that but ultimately players know their spot is on the line every day in practice and every Saturday in games.

Sark said the exact same thing about his RB room when asked if he was worried Baxter wasn’t getting enough chances or some stupid question like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Surly Bevo said:

I mean, we're getting off topic, but yeah, Saban will never have that advantage again in the NIL era.  That's why he's the ringleader for regulation.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Schulz2.0 said:

He was a big downgrade from Majors. Should be expected going from a 3 year starter to a third string redshirt freshman that's barely played prior to going in.

The interior OL was the glaring (and really only) weak link on the offensive roster and now we have 2 injuries.  Need those guys to get healthy but no doubt that hurt yesterday.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

All that said, Bama didn't win every game they played in all their championship seasons... just the last few. We're still in that window, and we can get through it and hoist that NC trophy. 

We still don't have any real difference makers at DE.  It's tough to win big when you don't.  The DC coaches as if we do.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean, we're getting off topic, but yeah, Saban will never have that advantage again in the NIL era.  That's why he's the ringleader for regulation.  

His methods at Texas in the NIL era could produce a 15 year run on par with DKR (pre scholly limits) and better than Mack. 

Edited by troph

This team has 3 turnovers and was 1-3 in the red zone.  These dudes couldn’t get 1 yard on 4 attempts.  It didn’t matter what you called, our butts got whooped and we still had a chance to win it.  That’s on the players.  Quinn fumbling the balls and throwing a bad interception on the first series and JT sanders dropping a sure TD are on the players.  It’s on the players like Gbenda and Jerrin Thompson to communicate and a game winning drive and not WRs run free into the end zone.  ou came in with a masterful game plan.  We got beat and that’s okay.  I wasn’t expecting an undefeated season this year and this team is likely waxes ou if they play even remotely decently.  Let’s clean up the penalties, get healthy, and work on limiting turnovers and no reason we should be looking at a rematch with those sooner fucks.  Gabriel isn’t going to have a career day running the ball again.  They know it too. 
Agree 99% except that blown coverage was on Gbenda. J. Thompson was pissed cause he told him who to take and Gbenda was lost as usual and it cost us.

JT peeled off his guy but it was too late.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On3 Class Rankings avg 2020-2023
Texas: 8
OU: 8.5

Venables made stupid calls yesterday. Their players fucked up yesterday. We just made more mistakes on the field than they did and lost a football game to a team 34-30 whose talent level isn't as below ours as we told ourselves.

We aren't a "Lost a 4/5-star to injury? Whatever, put the next 4/5 star out there!" team. We're building towards that, but we aren't that.

The idea that we lost because we don't shit enough hateblood is stupid. Not everyone needs to be full of rage to perform at a high level. In fact, that's a distraction to many. At least on offense. If we need a fire-breathing maniac, hire one at DC (I don't even dislike PK).

The hot start to the year got into a LOT Of people's heads. I was NOT thinking "playoffs bound!" before the year started. I only thought that because we whipped Bama pretty good at home. And after that I didn't let arguably bad games against much lesser opponents temper my optimism. That's not on Sark, that's on me.

The team was showing me what it was (really, really good), but I didn't want to believe that. I wanted to believe we were King Kong. That's on me.

We're a really, really good team. I actually like Sark and his style a lot. I think he can win a championship here. Maybe even with this team. A lot of shit has to go right, because on defense we do not have any killers who scare everyone. We need those.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We still don't have any real difference makers at DE.  It's tough to win big when you don't.  The DC coaches as if we do.  

Ant hill is going to mash. This program is still young. I’m bullish. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

A team built on emotion can't draw on that emotions for 13 games straight. See Colorado against Oregon.

True, but I didn't say it's needed every single game, and I don't see hellacious amounts of emotion in the first five games, so I'm not sure what your point is.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't really believe in the Sark tax, though.

The OL is periodically vulnerable, still, and was to some extent yesterday.  They are who they are and that's not a coaching issue anymore.  Ewers brain cramps and that's not a coaching issue.

Defense, though, seems to be another matter.  We got gameplanned there and our tendencies abused.  Is that Sark's fault?  Ultimately yes, proximately no.

After watching the game again, the defense was playing good ball down the stretch. Before the go ahead scoring drive from OU, they went 3 and out, turnover on downs, missed FG, and 3 and out. I just don’t know what the fuck happened to our defense on that last drive and Sark has to be lost for words this morning watching the film. It’s like PK and the players lost all confidence to produce one last drive. 

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Yeah about that. It will happen again. Just have fun! Hes a perfect OC. HC, nah. We all get to hear about the goal line stand and the great Dillon gabriel for the rest of the season because our coach is a pussy.

And I'm sure he'll get to hold up that little bronze trophy as well thanks to that shit stain of a defensive performance yesterday. 

Already all over YouTube, Twitter:  "the Sooners sent college football a message" and "is Oklahoma the best team in college football right now" or "how Brent Venables is quietly the coach of the year"

All because we continue to breed finesse pussies that refuse to take souls and be great. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

Agree 99% except that blown coverage was on Gbenda. J. Thompson was pissed cause he told him who to take and Gbenda was lost as usual and it cost us.

JT peeled off his guy but it was too late.

Not enough emotion. 

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

And I'm sure he'll get to hold up that little bronze trophy as well thanks to that shit stain of a defensive performance yesterday. 

Already all over YouTube, Twitter:  "the Sooners sent college football a message" and "is Oklahoma the best team in college football right now" or "how Brent Venables is quietly the coach of the year"

All because we continue to breed finesse pussies that refuse to take souls and be great. 

And sark was the media darling two weeks ago. 

fuck this noise. This team battled hard and took the lead despite not playing great for stretches. 

fuck this they aren’t mad enough or don’t want it noise. It’s idiocy.

My 80 year old mom screams this crap at the TV. My mom wants to win more than anyone. It does us no good. 

shit Kirk herbstreet said it was the most physical game he’d seen all year. Our guys mashed. One play. That was the difference.

this team battled hard. One play, that was it, not some Indiana Jones temple of doom blood thirst. 

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

I think OU had the psychological advantage due to having an entire year of focus on getting revenge for 49-0. This is not making an excuse for Sark / Texas. Great coaches and teams would maintain the motivation to go out and beat them by 49 again. But we didn’t have that. It was obvious from the opening snap that they had more fire and were playing for revenge.

If we can take care of business and win out the rest of our B12 games - and there’s absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t - then we should have plenty of motivation in Arlington.

OU pretty much always comes in w that edge.  This century anyways.  UT has won 2 of the past 9 or so.  One was last year that was a joke.  Hell I posted 10k bet against OU pregame.  Other than that one win - fg game winner.  Yet OU manages to come in full of piss and vinegar year after year.  
You guys know any rich kids that did ok?  They’re always soft.  It’s not any of you that I know of but it’s a real thing and you know it when you see it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Outside of diagnosing individual plays (1st series pick) or series (1st and goal from the 1) the reason we lost the game was because our pass rush sucked donkey dick and our LBs were terrible.

Our inability to get home and get sacks on their stupid QB was maddening. It exemplifies why Colin Simmons is so essential to the 2024 class.

And Jaylan Ford was fucking terrible yesterday. He’s usually amazing but he looked lost. He didn’t help the team yesterday.

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ou played, in my opinion, a perfect game yesterday….it won’t happen again.

Their special teams were garbage.  I don't think we can count on winning that phase in a landslide again.  I still think we are better than them but we don't have some massive advantage.  They are a good team.

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Outside of diagnosing individual plays (1st series pick) or series (1st and goal from the 1) the reason we lost the game was because our pass rush sucked donkey dick and our LBs were terrible.

Our inability to get home and get sacks on their stupid QB was maddening. It exemplifies why Colin Simmons is so essential to the 2024 class.

And Jaylan Ford was fucking terrible yesterday. He’s usually amazing but he looked lost. He didn’t help the team yesterday.

If only he was angry. 

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Agreed with all of this. Might be the worst game we've seen Ford play.  Edge and Interior OL were clear roster/depth deficiencies identified pre-season and that really showed yesterday.

One intangible that *could* have been in play was over confidence. Now that might be something. That’s rat poison. A young talented team will always be better as the dog not the favorite. Texas just took the favorite seat and this program under sark has no experience with that. It’s why I like our chances at 11-1 in Arlington better than 12-0. 

I admit I lowkey wanted to see the playoffs. But after yesterday I don’t wanna get skullfucked on national tv as well.   Hopefully we can close out the big12 in its last year but a rematch with blowU isn’t gonna work in our favor this time  should be interesting to see how this team bounces back. Especially the defense 

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OU pretty much always comes in w that edge.  This century anyways.  UT has won 2 of the past 9 or so.  One was last year that was a joke.  Hell I posted 10k bet against OU pregame.  Other than that one win - fg game winner.  Yet OU manages to come in full of piss and vinegar year after year.  
You guys know any rich kids that did ok?  They’re always soft.  It’s not any of you that I know of but it’s a real thing and you know it when you see it.  

This. Refusing to believe that emotion matters in this game is idiotic. This is like classical economics vs behavioral economics. Humans are not machines.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, troph said:

And sark was the media darling two weeks ago. 

fuck this noise. This team battled hard and took the lead despite not playing great for stretches. 

fuck this they aren’t mad enough or don’t want it noise. It’s idiocy.

My 80 year old mom screams this crap at the TV. My mom wants to win more than anyone. It does us no good. 

shit Kirk herbstreet said it was the most physical game he’d seen all year. Our guys mashed. One play. That was the difference.

this team battled hard. One play, that was it, not some Indiana Jones temple of doom blood thirst. 

Has nothing to do with anger. I'm not on the "we need to be pissed". I'm more the opposite, the reason Vince was so great was he was calm and loose and oozed confidence that bled into others and gave them confidence. 

You could see it clear as day and multiple times in the last 20 years, when Texas shows up to Dallas, very rarely do they have the focus and resolve to take care of business. 

Fuck all the noise, Texas is better on the OL/DL than Oklahoma. However, yesterday they let themselves get whipped. Fear crept in, they got rattled by an injury and let another man control their destiny. 

Texas is consistently the same, high level talented athletes that have to be "motivated" to perform. Very rarely can they handle being the hunted. I guess in fairness a lot can't handle that.... 

2005 is the only time we've seen it at Texas and unfortunately it took a once in a generation player to make it happen. He refused to lose. "Big time players, make big time plays, in big time games."

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't really believe in the Sark tax, though.

The OL is periodically vulnerable, still, and was to some extent yesterday.  They are who they are and that's not a coaching issue anymore.  Ewers brain cramps and that's not a coaching issue.

Defense, though, seems to be another matter.  We got gameplanned there and our tendencies abused.  Is that Sark's fault?  Ultimately yes, proximately no.

Hayden Conner fucking sucks at run blocking. Dude cannot get push at all. 

8 minutes ago, troph said:

One intangible that *could* have been in play was over confidence. Now that might be something. That’s rat poison. A young talented team will always be better as the dog not the favorite. Texas just took the favorite seat and this program under sark has no experience with that. It’s why I like our chances at 11-1 in Arlington better than 12-0. 

You’re a nice girl.  But you have burnt orange glasses.  Say what you will about me - and I know you will - but I have access to both programs.  I have given more to UT but could easily be OU’s top donor by a mile (not the same w UT).  

Hear me out - UT is the plush kid who’s daddy gifted them that gold AP and Lambo.  It’s ok.  Just know, that kid will always be soft and it takes someone/something special to break the mold - VY.  

You refuse to acknowledge this and it’s odd but I’m guessing just a blind spot.  Look at the entire millennium.  Post after post of next time…

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re a nice girl.  But you have burnt orange glasses.  Say what you will about me - and I know you will - but I have access to both programs.  I have given more to UT but could easily by OU’s top donor by a mile (not the same w UT).  

Hear me out - UT is the plush kid who’s daddy gifted them that gold AP and Lambo.  It’s ok.  Just know, that kid will always be soft and it takes someone/something special to break the mold - VY.  

You refuse to acknowledge this and it’s odd but I’m guessing just a blind spot.  Look at the entire millennium.  Post after post of next time…

I agree with this for the most part. I do think we are heading in the right direction to change this under the current administration. But it is still a few years away. I also find it crazy that this seems only to be an issue with the football program. 

13 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Has nothing to do with anger. I'm not on the "we need to be pissed". I'm more the opposite, the reason Vince was so great was he was calm and loose and oozed confidence that bled into others and gave them confidence. 

You could see it clear as day and multiple times in the last 20 years, when Texas shows up to Dallas, very rarely do they have the focus and resolve to take care of business. 

Fuck all the noise, Texas is better on the OL/DL than Oklahoma. However, yesterday they let themselves get whipped. Fear crept in, they got rattled by an injury and let another man control their destiny. 

Texas is consistently the same, high level talented athletes that have to be "motivated" to perform. Very rarely can they handle being the hunted. I guess in fairness a lot can't handle that.... 

2005 is the only time we've seen it at Texas and unfortunately it took a once in a generation player to make it happen. He refused to lose. "Big time players, make big time plays, in big time games."

Vince:

Confidence 100%
Determined 100%
Focused 100% 

you’re dead on he wasn’t just raw emotion.  Shit he won the game on 4th and 5 and stood there. 

look emotion is totally part of the game, it’s what you do with it. Anxious or afraid? channel to preparation. Angry or frustrated? Channel it to focus and execution.  But raw emotion not properly channeled is not your ally in competitive sports and anyone saying it is hasn’t kept up with how elite performance works.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1