Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

Something is different this year. Seems most years that while they may come in with a lot of emotion, if OU beat Texas they would move on. They seem like as a program they are reveling in it more this year. Not sure what is driving that or what it means but just an observation.
Getting absolutely obliterated 49-0 the year before tends to do that sort of thing, or at least it should.

That stutsman mother fucker says some real poignant shit at the 2:30 mark. oklahoma only fears God, Texas fears oklahoma. That shit is absolutely true until it ain’t, we need Sark to go on a 5 year run of smooth butt fucking venables/Oklahoma until their souls are taken from them. If we are lucky maybe Ewers gets a rematch and then arch rattles off 4 wins a row. It would be glorious. 
I think Arch is going to be surprisingly mobile out of the backfield if things are covered. I know saying he's more athletic than his Superbowl winning uncles isn't a high bar, but the kid showed some decent wheels and toughness in high school at least.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

That stutsman mother fucker says some real poignant shit at the 2:30 mark. oklahoma only fears God, Texas fears oklahoma. That shit is absolutely true until it ain’t, we need Sark to go on a 5 year run of smooth butt fucking venables/Oklahoma until their souls are taken from them. If we are lucky maybe Ewers gets a rematch and then arch rattles off 4 wins a row. It would be glorious. 

Pure fantasy right there, Arch will be long gone before he can win 4 in a row. 

On 10/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, Longboard Horn said:

T'Vondre Sweat had a decent day. Look at how he manhandles those linemen.

That deflected pass that still goes right to the OU receiver but Texas has a deflected pass and it gets intercepted.   I know footballs bounce in funny ways but Texas has some of the shittiest luck when it comes to stuff like that.  The KU fumble right to the running back for a TD.  And I cant even count how many times opposing QBs just junk the ball up under pressure and it perfectly makes it to their receiver.  Part of that is our DBs not making what should be an easy play but also it uncanny the luck factor for opposing teams over the last 5 years.  That being said it seems to be at least evening out now.   Maybe my memory is shit but for the life me I can’t remember one time in the last 5 years where a Texas QB junked it up under pressure and the ball magically made it perfectly to the receiver.  These things usually even out over time so there’s that I guess.  

10 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Something is different this year. Seems most years that while they may come in with a lot of emotion, if OU beat Texas they would move on. They seem like as a program they are reveling in it more this year. Not sure what is driving that or what it means but just an observation.

OU was doing a ton of taunting on the field after the game.  I'm not sure how much of it made tv.  #12 came right up to Vasek and got in his face, with Vasek giving a half shove/half punch to get the guy out of his face.  A few guys were trying to start something with DJ Campbell, and OU staffer was in the middle of a group instigating.  For a while I wasn't sure if all hell was going to break loose (especially with Campbell), but thankfully nothing sparked.  The players will remember that the next time they play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

OU was doing a ton of taunting on the field after the game.  I'm not sure how much of it made tv.  #12 came right up to Vasek and got in his face, with Vasek giving a half shove/half punch to get the guy out of his face.  A few guys were trying to start something with DJ Campbell, and OU staffer was in the middle of a group instigating.  For a while I wasn't sure if all hell was going to break loose (especially with Campbell), but thankfully nothing sparked.  The players will remember that the next time they play.
Did Vasek get some snaps last Saturday? If so I missed it, still haven't watched the broadcast of the game or even highlights.

Just now, ousux said:
6 minutes ago, someguy said:

Did Vasek get some snaps last Saturday? If so I missed it, still haven't watched the broadcast of the game or even highlights.

no, Vasek didn't see any game action, which is why it was odd the OU guy came running up on him as soon as the final whistle blew.  I'm guessing lingering hurt feelings over the decommit?  I have no idea.

• Rage+1 1

no, Vasek didn't see any game action, which is why it was odd the OU guy came running up on him as soon as the final whistle blew.  I'm guessing lingering hurt feelings over the decommit?  I have no idea.

Probably due to the recruiting aspect.

There’s often quite a bit of shit talking Sooners after the game. Some dude was over walking by the band. I can’t imagine he was thanking them.

During the Covid year Rattler and some other dude ran down to the Texas side to talk shit post game.

Wow, bloU is far more aggy than I have them credit for.
Wow, bloU is far more aggy than I have them credit for.

11 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

OU is not typically an underdog coming off a 49-0 L the previous year and hearing they aren't going to be able to get it done vs Texas because they haven't played anyone.

1 hour ago, someguy said:

Well, let’s hope it’s in December in Dallas for something that matters a great deal.  

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

This is how they have treated the game since Stoops got to Norman. We fail to understand the anger they bring to the fight.

"Don't matter what they throw at us. Only angry people win football games." -- Darrell K. Royal

22 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

These fuckers are digging their own grave. I expect no less than a 63-7 win in Arlington this December.

Most of the last 30 years says we will just take it.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

24 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

It's fucking stupid and shows how their coke brain is mush.

THEY LOST FUCKING 49 to 0 ONE YEAR AGO !!!!!!!

What the fuck are we supposed to be afraid of? 

Sooners, take your 4 point win (we won by more than 10x that amount) and shove it up your sperm filled ass. 

So regarded 

What does a year ago have to do with this season? Always talking about the past is something Texas fans need to stop doing. 

IMG_3195.thumb.jpeg.237337c0c12fb43bef938a3211975420.jpegIMG_3196.thumb.jpeg.a39eeacff69bb6c800040896c7d257a4.jpeg

Edited by BurntOrange&White

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What does a year ago have to do with this season? Always talking about the past is something Texas fans need to stop doing. 

IMG_3195.thumb.jpeg.237337c0c12fb43bef938a3211975420.jpegIMG_3196.thumb.jpeg.a39eeacff69bb6c800040896c7d257a4.jpeg

I was referring the past score to show how stupid it is for a sooner to say Texas fears OU. You don't fear something you have ass kicked. 

I hate the overall record the last 20 years also, but Texas doesn't fucking fear the sooners. Being embarrassed by an outcome doesn't equate to fear homie...

5 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I was referring the past score to show how stupid it is for a sooner to say Texas fears OU. You don't fear something you have ass kicked. 

I hate the overall record the last 20 years also, but Texas doesn't fucking fear the sooners. Being embarrassed by an outcome doesn't equate to fear homie...

Did we kick it's ass in our most recent game? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

This is how they have treated the game since Stoops got to Norman. We fail to understand the anger they bring to the fight.

"Don't matter what they throw at us. Only angry people win football games." -- Darrell K. Royal

Royal nails it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

OL grades for OU via Dunlap on OB

Spoiler

Skill Player Snap Counts and Game-by-Game Percentages of Offensive Snaps (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.3afd9040072e152ce3cd79c6d247ee9d.png

***please note that exact snap-count numbers may differ from other sources at times, as the Deep Dig does not count plays as offensive player snaps that are blown dead due to penalty, punts, extra points, field goals, spiked balls, victory formations, kneel-downs, etc.***

Personnel-Grouping Frequency Overall and by Game (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.915f200e9c939e1a464ef3ab3ceff2cc.png

Tight End Total Snap Counts and Alignment Data (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.32b4eea319c6954aea3099ccdefc330a.png

Team Target Share By Week (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.af6d7f1ff89352aa34f6f8f2fb101b3c.png

Deep Dig OL Grading Scale (each snap by each player is graded as its own independent event)
image.thumb.png.131c27dbb2a49c1f99301f3d9d9944b3.png
OL Grades (OU)

LT Kelvin Banks - 77 snaps
No disruption allowed
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 79.25

LG Hayden Conner - 77 snaps
1 sack, 1 pressure, 1 run-stuff allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 75.13

C Jake Majors - 4 snaps
DEEP DIG GRADE: N/A

C Conner Robertson - 73 snaps
1 sack, 1 TFL, 1 run-stuff, 1 pressure allowed
1 illegal man downfield penalty
1 false-start penatly
DEEP DIG GRADE: 73.9

RG DJ Campbell - 77 snaps
1 pressure, 1 sack allowed
1 false-start penalty
1 knockdown
DEEP DIG GRADE: 76.56

RT Christian Jones - 77 snaps
1 TFL, 1 run-stuff allowed
2 knockdowns
DEEP DIG GRADE: 77.34

OL Grades by Week (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.bf00d285833e8d12ce37785303b6fa2c.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.48137ffa921e1ac168d7bbab81aeea1b.png

OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed BY WEEK (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.a3d05291ba822d70bbb2e667b1860a07.png

2023 OL Snaps-per-Disruption Allowed Versus Historical Precedent (2023 Through Week 6)
image.thumb.png.82169644b4df40f3c1df0347ad25497f.png

QUICK FINAL THOUGHTS

- Hayden Conner is obviously playing hurt, and probably has been all season. Conner, as you can see on the charts above, has played below expectation this season, although, to his credit, has operated above-to-well-above baseline D1 competency for all but one game (Rice). It should be noted that everyone played relatively badly versus Rice, in fairness. However, it was the line's interior that was totally unacceptable.

One major problem has been something we've discussed at length, allowing penetration upfield through his play-side shoulder on outside-zone runs, particularly runs to the left. This has had a detrimental effect on the offense, because Kelvin Banks is typically a wise bet to run behind in the wide-zone game, but the offense isn't seeing all the fruits of that this season because Conner has been forcing early cutbacks from Texas runners and subsequent stuffs more frequently. To us, it's been obvious that he's been banged up to some degree ... and we'd venture to guess it is in his lower body on the left side based on his play alone. This week, in mentioning that Texas could use this bye week to get a lot of guys back to health, Sark mentioned (sort of off-hand) for the first time we could remember this season that Conner is not playing at 100%, so, mystery solved there, at least.

With Conner banged up, Kelvin Banks playing fine, and not looking bad at all, but he was wearing a compression boot at the OU pep rally, JT Sanders totally hobbled, Jake Majors up in the air and uncertain, Ryan Watts dealing with a bigger injury than was initially dubbed "day-to-day" by Sark, Jalen Catalon continuing to looking like a star on one play and the walking wounded on the next, Cole Hutson needed back as insurance for Majors as Conner Robertson is not ready and CJ Baxter still not really looking 100%, the bye week did come at quite an important time for the Horns. That's a lot of key pieces with varying levels of knicks and bruises that need as much healing and R&R as possible heading into this crucial, final six-game stretch.

- Kelvin Banks might be playing a tiny little banged up, but it could also be a Tiger Woods scenario. We mentioned above the fact that people were worried about the fact that Kelvin Banks was wearing a walking boot last week, and the fact that he hasn't really had one of his monster games this season where he peaks into the low-to-low-mid 80s on the Deep Dig scale.

First off, we always say that "spotting a guy in a boot" is hardly ever a big deal and compression boots are used all the time for little stuff that even happens from practice to practice. Sometimes for stuff as little as a simple rolled ankle that the training staff just doesn't want to see swell up before you go to bed that night.

Second, so you remember when Tiger Woods changed up his golf swing? He was really good before, but wanted to be better, so he changed up his swing, went through a transition period with things he had to work through, but the ultimate plan was to come out on the other side even better? Kyle Flood could be pushing Banks to do a few things differently, specifically with his kick and his pass set, that Banks doesn't find as natural as what he was doing last season while relying mostly on physical gifts that did truly culminate in what seemed like great polish and fundamentals.

We continue to say, don't worry about him. He's playing great and getting better each week in regard to his snaps-per-disruption-allowed efficiency.

- Let's call the Texas OU game from 2023 a Jake Majors Appreciation Day. Sometimes you don't know what you got til it's gone and that appears to be the case with Jake Majors, who has been playing well in 2023, in fact, he's in the Top 10 all-time (since 2013) in the snaps-per-disruption-allowed chart. Can we get frustrated with his occasional inability to move bigger bodies off the line of scrimmage in solo-base assignments? Of course. He's not a mauler like DJ Campbell. But, he doesn't make mistakes often at all anymore. Not in 2023. The same cannot be said about Conner Robertson. Robertson has some things to like, but as of now, that dropoff is substantial.

As we touched on above, the week(s) off for Majors should be beneficial down the stretch run, but with Cole Hutson's original return timeline projecting him back to full health right around this very week or so, that's another out that Texas will have at the center position should Majors have to miss any more time once the games kick back off.

Onward to the bye week.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

QFTMFT. OU always has the edge on the intensity and desire to win in this game. We may get one or two here and there, but they dominate it. I thought 49-0 would have turned that around. It didn't. 

I’d push back on Conner displaying baseline competency, granted I’ve only been able to rewatch the first half so far. He was dogshit on the rewatch.

I can understand an injury degrading his play but if he is hurt he needs to sit. If Neto can’t get on the field in front of him in this state, he is going to transfer or is a complete bust.

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’d push back on Conner displaying baseline competency, granted I’ve only been able to rewatch the first half so far. He was dogshit on the rewatch.

I can understand an injury degrading his play but if he is hurt he needs to sit. If Neto can’t get on the field in front of him in this state, he is going to transfer or is a complete bust.

He was our worst last year as well if I recall. 

59 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I thought 49-0 would have turned that around. It didn't. 

When the coach is emphasizing having fun against our biggest rival, it ain't turning around.

I don't remember much about most of the pregame speeches my coaches gave me, but I had one particular meathead coach, probably not much different from Venables. That guy made us strap our helmets up in the lockerroom while he was giving his speech because we "were going to war." You could see every vein in his neck and face as he yelled, and he left no doubt that he was serious. He expected us to perform, and we did.

That would not work every week, and emotion doesn't last a whole game, but it can help a team get started and motivate through difficult parts of a game. There is no way I would want a team playing in the Cotton Bowl without a lot of emotion.

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

When the coach is emphasizing having fun against our biggest rival, it ain't turning around.

So we are still hung up on what a coach says during SID-coached pregame interviews and when he is knowingly mic'd up walking around during stretching lines with Matthew McConaughey? 

The same guy who mf'ed an ESPN intern at the field entrance before the bowl game last year and had Casey one-thumb Thompson throwing haymakers in the 2021 matchup? The guy who faked a punt on the second possession of the game when momentum was in the balance and went for it 3 times on 4th down in the first half alone. You think he was in the locker room behind closed doors before the game telling the players to have fun and do their best? 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

That deflected pass that still goes right to the OU receiver but Texas has a deflected pass and it gets intercepted.   I know footballs bounce in funny ways but Texas has some of the shittiest luck when it comes to stuff like that.  The KU fumble right to the running back for a TD.  And I cant even count how many times opposing QBs just junk the ball up under pressure and it perfectly makes it to their receiver.  Part of that is our DBs not making what should be an easy play but also it uncanny the luck factor for opposing teams over the last 5 years.  That being said it seems to be at least evening out now.   Maybe my memory is shit but for the life me I can’t remember one time in the last 5 years where a Texas QB junked it up under pressure and the ball magically made it perfectly to the receiver.  These things usually even out over time so there’s that I guess.  

Don't forget the bad snap that bounced right in the QBs' hands after chasing it down then throwing the ball out of bounds. 4th and 3 vs 4th and forever then running into punter giving them a first down. That ball takes a shitty bounce, we might recover it.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

Finished my rewatch, don’t want to beat belabored points to death but things I didn’t necessarily appreciate as much live as I do now:

The backwards pass on the opening KO was definitely there so I understand why Red fielded it now. Should have thrown it but even though he didn’t holy shit the facemask.

Absolute boneheaded pick by Ewers on the first turnover. Worthy on the inside slant goes 15 yards and maybe scores if he gets out of one tackle. Needs to slide to avoid fumbles like the one he had. Otherwise he was very good given the circumstances. Should have been given a chance to win the game.

Sweat and Hill had very strong games on defense. Ford and Gbenda, honeys what is you doing?

Robertson and Connor are a massive liability pores together. I hope we’re done with the bench Majors stuff now because interior OL issues are about to turn up to 11.

Brooks is a special back. I was wrong about him. He’s not Bijan but he’s going to go down as the next in line of stand out Texas RBs.

OU left 7 points and a couple of really important money down conversions that they had set up, but botched, on the field. Just as we feel like Texas could have won they are right to feel like they could have blown it open. That’s how these back and forth games go.

Sark lost the game on the last drive. Should have slowed down as they got to midfield, certainly after the Bowman injury. But more importantly, Sark is a fucking loser for not going for it on that last fourth down. I kind of felt that way live but I didn’t quite appreciate how lucky the defense had been to get those stops leading up to that. The game was over as soon as that decision was made.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

I do not even want to begin imagining what the meltdown would have been like if he passed up that FG (from a similar distance Auburn had already made earlier in the game) to try to go for it and didn’t get it.

I’m cool questioning and second guessing everything before and after that 4th and 4 but the decision to kick the FG to take the lead in that moment was 100% correct. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Brooks is a special back. I was wrong about him. He’s not Bijan but he’s going to go down as the next in line of stand out Texas RBs.

He is a stud and Oklahomo had hell tackling him and only him. Seems no one else fro Texas could break a single tackle. Quite the opposite for them.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The game was over as soon as that decision was made.

The game was decided when we couldn't score on 4 tries at the one yard line.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

So we are still hung up on what a coach says during SID-coached pregame interviews and when he is knowingly mic'd up walking around during stretching lines with Matthew McConaughey? 

The same guy who mf'ed an ESPN intern at the field entrance before the bowl game last year and had Casey one-thumb Thompson throwing haymakers in the 2021 matchup? The guy who faked a punt on the second possession of the game when momentum was in the balance and went for it 3 times on 4th down in the first half alone. You think he was in the locker room behind closed doors before the game telling the players to have fun and do their best? 

I think he really does means it but it’s being taken way out of context for its intended purpose. He’s not wanting them to treat it as the little league world series style of “fun”. This was right before AD caught the td pass to go up 10. It’s more about the guys being loose and going out enjoying the game they love. It is fun as hell to go out there and legally knock the shit out of somebody. 

Edited by Levi
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

I do not even want to begin imagining what the meltdown would have been like if he passed up that FG (from a similar distance Auburn made earlier in the game) to try to go for it and didn’t get it.

I’m cool questioning and second guessing everything before and after that 4th and 4 but the decision to kick the FG to take the lead in that moment was 100% correct. 

Agree, defense needs to step up. Offense gave you the lead with barely over a minute left. Worst case scenario should have been overtime.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Levi said:

I think he really does means it but it’s being taken way out of context for its intended purpose. He’s not wanting them to treat it as the little league world’s series style of “fun”. This was right before AD caught the td pass to go up 10. It’s more about the guys being loose and going out enjoying the game they love. It is fun as hell to go out there and legally knock the shit out of somebody. 

Winning is fun, playing good as an individual is fun. Executing the way a play is designed is fun. This isn't rocket science. The people taking this out of context are doing so purposely because they don't like the guy and are pushing an agenda. Sark was telling them to win, win each play, win the game.

• Hook 'Em 4

I do not even want to begin imagining what the meltdown would have been like if he passed up that FG (from a similar distance Auburn had already made earlier in the game) to try to go for it and didn’t get it.

Nah. Auburn has struggled from that distance all year (props to him by the way). You were never going to get a better deal than four yards to win the game, or at least take a regulation loss off the table. Probability of losing skyrockets by lining up for the FG. Felt iffy in the moment and an 100% convinced now.

The game was decided when we couldn't score on 4 tries at the one yard line.

giphy.gif
I knew that in my gut when it happened, or at least that Texas deserved the L. Still, after everything it was all right there. Smh.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Levi said:

I think he really does means it but it’s being taken way out of context for its intended purpose. He’s not wanting them to treat it as the little league world series style of “fun”. This was right before AD caught the td pass to go up 10. It’s more about the guys being loose and going out enjoying the game they love. It is fun as hell to go out there and legally knock the shit out of somebody. 

From everything I’ve heard the guy has a fairly solid balance between intensity and being laid back. This isn’t 2018 Tom Herman walking into the locker room at Kansas State up 19-0 at half and screaming “don’t let up like you did against Tulsa a few weeks ago!”

The emotion of every game has ebbs and flows. Everybody comes out with their hair on fire but on a 2nd and 6 with 5:34 to go in the first quarter is the RG thinking about the pregame pep talk as he’s getting in his stance?

Of course emotion is a part of every game but we’ve now reached the point where one of the most overused cliches in sports is “the team that wants it more will win”.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1