Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I found a good article yesterday (no idea if linked here, twitter, or where at this point) but it primarily discussed the intelligence failure and noted that a fake settlement had been built for training in Gaza (and no doubt Israel had to have been aware of it) but they didn't see it as a real thread.  Just thought it was typical radical blustering/provocative nonsense.  Basically just how asleep at the wheel the entire intelligence community was (and basically the country itself, dealing with all its internal issues) and thinking the $$ and jobs were keeping things in check. 

I mean hopefully a wake up call at home with similar infighting the past 7+ years.

I am on an email chain with some dudes who know Intel. Most spent 30+ years in certain groups doing this. They hate the over reliance on tech and think Israel made the same mistake we made in the middle east.

You need someone in the room. A can go to B to get a shwarma and pass on information. No cell phone needed. And Hamas learned this from what I have read about readiness. Also, why did they not at least listen to Egypt if the reports of them sending intel is true? Could it be because it was Yom Kippur? 

Rise and Kill First is an interesting book about how Israel approached gathering intelligence. Long read, but for anyone interested worth it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Nivek said:

My father's own fear of failure has caused him to make his son the embodiment of all of his own deepest anxieties about himself, and hence his aggression transference onto me.

But I am not sure if that helps.

Praising John Goodman GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

e4092648-1028-4983-b6ac-183b9ebe033a_tex

and look man, I know dad has been using the internet for work since the late 1980s, and for personal stuff since the late 1990s, but I'm getting tired of holding his hand and telling him what's real and what's not real on the internet, especially over the last 4-5 years with things like Ukraine, etc.

Maybe you could pick up the slack and help out and keep him from going down stupid fucking rabbit holes?  Because he's confused about what he reads or sees because it all looks and sounds real to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Do they start at 50000ya? Because that's how far it goes. People have been fighting over that corner of dirt since we walked out of Africa about that long ago or maybe add 50k. 

It used to be pretty green. There used to be forests and lions and shit. 

We burned, dug, ate, and killed off everything right down to the bedrock. 

This problem started during the 20th century. This wasn't a conflict under the Ottoman nor Byzantine empires.

The idea that this is am ancient conflict is bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's also gross to see posters on this site sympathize with Hamas.  When you look at an attack with genocidal intent AND effect, and say "well, this is the victim's fault," that's fucking bullshit.

I say this as someone who has been plenty critical of Israel for a long-ass time.  It's exactly how I would react if someone had an ultra shitty neighbor, who was widely criticized for years -- and I join in that criticism.  Then the aggrieved party walks over there, shoots the neighbor in the head, rapes his wife, and kidnaps his kid.  Nope.  Not gonna respond with "well...he WAS a shitty neighbor."  Not gonna do it.  Line has been crossed.  It cannot be uncrossed.

Hamas has chosen the path.  Now, the belligerents will follow that path.  That's the way it goes.

War sucks.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

This problem started during the 20th century. This wasn't a conflict under the Ottoman nor Byzantine empires.

Just the last 4000 years has it really flared up.  Pretty chill before then.  Since Abraham, Isaac and Ishmael. 

Edited by CycleTex87
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

Well there were not Muslims there for a long time of the regions history. Ever read about the Persian and Roman Empires? Ever hear of Masada? 

And there was a lot of conflict, but we did not have X. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Texas Curl said:

Leadership…

Ehhh...that could be a lot of things, including meeting with various officials who were seen entering the WH this afternoon.

And that's actually getting lost in the shuffle - if we start seeing a lot more military/state department officials meeting at the WH, start seeing a lot of pizzas delivered late at night to various organizations/campuses around D.C....well, there's already nothing stopping Israel from hitting Iran after this weekend, but the degree of training/competency displayed by Hamas fighters should be concerning the hell out of everyone, and pointing a lot of fingers at Iran/Russia/Wagner.

And I would assume that Iran would be paying close attention to anybody showing up for meetings at the WH (or if WH officials are meeting elsewhere, such as the Pentagon).  We always seemed to make it a point for countries to see that these kinds of meetings were happening in the past, when we could have done it on the down-low through video conferencing, etc.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

This whole thing feels really weird, like was said up thread about somebody trying to get something kicked off on a much larger scale.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

Well there were not Muslims there for a long time of the regions history. Ever read about the Persian and Roman Empires? Ever hear of Masada? 

And there was a lot of conflict, but we did not have X. 

Dude, are you really trying to tie this to Roman occupation?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Ehhh...that could be a lot of things, including meeting with various officials who were seen entering the WH this afternoon.

And that's actually getting lost in the shuffle - if we start seeing a lot more military/state department officials meeting at the WH, start seeing a lot of pizzas delivered late at night to various organizations/campuses around D.C....well, there's already nothing stopping Israel from hitting Iran after this weekend, but the degree of training/competency displayed by Hamas fighters should be concerning the hell out of everyone, and pointing a lot of fingers at Iran/Russia/Wagner.

And I would assume that Iran would be paying close attention to anybody showing up for meetings at the WH (or if WH officials are meeting elsewhere, such as the Pentagon).  We always seemed to make it a point for countries to see that these kinds of meetings were happening in the past, when we could have done it on the down-low through video conferencing, etc.

John Lewis Lol GIF by Waitrose & Partners

This whole thing feels really weird, like was said up thread about somebody trying to get something kicked off on a much larger scale.

The fact that the Israeli response is 100% predictable in this deal would lead one to believe that this could be some kind of intentional misdirection orchestrated at a higher level with a next move that is unpredictable.  Of course this is being war-gamed in the Pentagon, not just here on Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, CycleTex87 said:

The fact that the Israeli response is 100% predictable in this deal would lead one to believe that this could be some kind of intentional misdirection orchestrated at a higher level with a next move that is unpredictable.  Of course this is being war-gamed in the Pentagon, not just here on Surly. 

Like pre-snap motion of sorts. 

More evidence of the 5th column in action - scholars enriching the West. These are the Arabs’ best, brightest and the most Westernized, but according to some here, we should have the Israelis trust that the average Palestinian goatherder wouldn’t drive the Jews to the sea if they were given the opportunity to do so.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

As part of the Israel counterattack, I hope Israel takes overt steps to destabilize the Iranian regime so that it can be toppled. Rid the world of the Islamic cancer strangling Iran, you will improve the region 100 fold. The Iranian people do not consider Israelis to be their enemy. Being pro-Palestine has the same taint as being a regime supporter in Iran.
[/url]  
[/url]

Sounds like a piece of cake. Regime change in 4 letter countries starting with an I always goes swimmingly.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

The fact that the Israeli response is 100% predictable in this deal would lead one to believe that this could be some kind of intentional misdirection orchestrated at a higher level with a next move that is unpredictable.  

Three straight heavy package runs from the one-yard line coming up!

• Rage+1 5

47 minutes ago, Texas Curl said:

Leadership…

42 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

It……Depends

38 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

He’s a dope. 

The fuck this have to do with this topic?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Sounds like a piece of cake. Regime change in 4 letter countries starting with an I always goes swimmingly.

How about getting Starlink to help the people coordinate without regime interference and provide weapons so that the Iranians can kill the mullahs and basiji in the streets. Pretty simple and cheap for Israel to do and would be a game-changer. The only reason the Islamic regime is still in power is because the people aren’t armed and can’t fight back effectively. Starting killing mullahs indiscriminately and randomly and y’all start seeing those scumbags packing their shit and fleeing to any shithole that’ll have them. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yeah, in the millenia that slice of land has had peace it was enforced by iron and bronze. An enforced peace by Romans, Egyptians, Ottomans and can we count Cyrus?

Don't make a shit if you cut it off at a hundred years or a hundred thousand. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Yeah, in the millenia that slice of land has had peace it was enforced by iron and bronze. An enforced peace by Romans, Egyptians, Ottomans and can we count Cyrus?

Palestine being fought over by great empires over the millennia has nothing to do with the current situation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

No, just saying that region has seen a lot of fighting from lots of people. Just wondering if you were aware. Damn, I know it is late and MNF sucked, but relax. 

I'm calm, currently trying to woo a 32 year old single mom from Helotes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

lol The point was neither a Palestinian nor Jewish state existed until the British made it so. This conflict is a modern conflict not an ancient one.

Edited by F250
  • Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, F250 said:

lol The point was neither a Palestinian nor Jewish state existed until the British made it so. This conflict is a modern conflict not an ancient one.

Sure the latest mini series started in the ‘40’s.  But the big picture story arc goes back to Biblical times.  C’mon man, there’s a lot of history here. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

See, this is where we get into the Tom Clancy-level stuff.

Hamas stages a very competent and deadly invasion, on a scale they've never done before, and they are not only bold about it, but they are publicly declaring that Palestine as a whole is behind them. It's not a Hamas thing ultimately, it's a Palestinian thing is what they are saying (and they released videos showing civilian Palestinians hitting/kicking the corpses of Israelis and foreigners as they are paraded through various Palestinian areas).

Israel is mobilizing on a large scale, and already clearing out the areas that Hamas had briefly taken over, and Hamas as an entity will most likely not exist in the future.

Now what? Not to beat a cliche into the ground, but you aim at the king, you best not miss. 

Hamas will cease to exist, at least in the state that it currently does, within the near future.  

All to kill a thousand Israelis?  20 years of taking over Palestine and trying to legitimize itself, complete with visits to Moscow and Tehran, and they want to piss it all away to kill a thousand Israels?  I get the hate, but that's pretty fucking pathetic if that's all Hamas wanted to do, because that was a lot of planning and training if their ultimate goal was something that would see their existence snuffed out.  They could have done it 10 or 20 years ago.

To start a war between Iran and Israel?  One that would be extremely difficult to wage, at least on the part of Iran. For better or for worse, we are partners with Iraq and have American air assets in Iraq (and Türkiye and the Saudis won't be keen to let Iran use their airspace).

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Sure the latest mini series started in the ‘40’s.  But the big picture story arc goes back to Biblical times.  C’mon man, there’s a lot of history here. 

That's bullshit, there was a Jewish diaspora under the Romans and two thousand years later the Brits decided to establish a Jewish state and migrate European Jews back to Palestine.

That would be like someone flooding Mexico city with Meso-Americans 1700 years from now and establishing a state for the Azetecs while pushing aside all the Mexicans. Then when the Mexicans in the year 3000 push back against the Aztec apartheid state calling it an ancient conflict.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, strangulation! said:

The Ukraine thread goes strong at almost 1500 pages - 95% news, facts and actual discussion. 

Best thread on the site. Would buy a beer for pretty much any poster in it.

47 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Iowa? Take that shit to the realignment thread.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

See, this is where we get into the Tom Clancy-level stuff.

Hamas stages a very competent and deadly invasion, on a scale they've never done before, and they are not only bold about it, but they are publicly declaring that Palestine as a whole is behind them. It's not a Hamas thing ultimately, it's a Palestinian thing is what they are saying (and they released videos showing civilian Palestinians hitting/kicking the corpses of Israelis and foreigners as they are paraded through various Palestinian areas).

Israel is mobilizing on a large scale, and already clearing out the areas that Hamas had briefly taken over, and Hamas as an entity will most likely not exist in the future.

Now what? Not to beat a cliche into the ground, but you aim at the king, you best not miss. 

Hamas will cease to exist, at least in the state that it currently does, within the near future.  

All to kill a thousand Israelis?  20 years of taking over Palestine and trying to legitimize itself, complete with visits to Moscow and Tehran, and they want to piss it all away to kill a thousand Israels?  I get the hate, but that's pretty fucking pathetic if that's all Hamas wanted to do, because that was a lot of planning and training if their ultimate goal was something that would see their existence snuffed out.  They could have done it 10 or 20 years ago.

To start a war between Iran and Israel?  One that would be extremely difficult to wage, at least on the part of Iran. For better or for worse, we are partners with Iraq and have American air assets in Iraq (and Türkiye and the Saudis won't be keen to let Iran use their airspace).

giphy-downsized.gif

Anybody ever read this? My buddy is getting a masters in international relations right now and his class was assigned reading this. Two political scientists. Seems to be super critical of Israel, why we have a relationship with Israel, etc., but I am not versed enough to really writing out explanations as to why I think it's bullshit. It almost seems like their solution or answer to the ME is for Israel is to not exist. 

Anyone, feel free to take a quick look and tell me your thoughts. Thanks.

The Israel Lobby.pdf

7 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Anybody ever read this? My buddy is getting a masters in international relations right now and his class was assigned reading this. Two political scientists. Seems to be super critical of Israel, why we have a relationship with Israel, etc., but I am not versed enough to really writing out explanations as to why I think it's bullshit. It almost seems like their solution or answer to the ME is for Israel is to not exist. 

The Israel Lobby.pdf 181.45 kB · 1 download

We charge for doing homework. This is not Jester where an ounce gets you a term paper in the 1990's. 

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

We charge for doing homework. This is not Jester where an ounce gets you a term paper in the 1990's. 

I know you are joking but it's obviously relevant and I wanted to get someone else's thoughts on it. 

He is pretty anti Israel (my buddy) and I am not. He sent me me this with a "fuck zionist Israel". 

Edited by MisterP

9 minutes ago, MisterP said:

The Israel Lobby.pdf 181.45 kB · 2 downloads

story of our times not reading that GIF by Trevor Moore

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, MisterP said:

I know you are joking but it's obviously relevant and I wanted to get someone else's thoughts on it. 

He is pretty anti Israel (my buddy) and I am not. He sent me me this with a "fuck zionist Israel". 

There are experts here, but I ain't downloading that shit. next thing I have Mossad at my door. Or Hamas. 

• Haha 3