Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

29 minutes ago, Helobious said:

2nd cousin is pretty weird. However once you get to the level of 3rd cousin and beyond you’re so genetically dissimilar it’s not really inbreeding. 

This is good news.  Because I'm third-cousins with Abby Elliott (from SNL & "The Bear") on my father's side.  And she's totally down to clown.  

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

How many terrorists/fighters/support personnel  does Hamas have in Gaza? With a population of 2.3 million, if one out of every 23 people were a member, that would be 100k. I would imagine it is more than that. 1 out of 10 would be 230k. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

22 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

How many terrorists/fighters/support personnel  does Hamas have in Gaza? With a population of 2.3 million, if one out of every 23 people were a member, that would be 100k. I would imagine it is more than that. 1 out of 10 would be 230k. 

CHIEF

Depends on what you consider a terrorist I surmise. Depends on who you ask as well.

58 minutes ago, MisterP said:

Depends on what you consider a terrorist I surmise. Depends on who you ask as well.

Anyone that would actively participate in the planned Jihad called for this coming Friday. Ones willing to rush the barriers in Gaza and either take one for the team or give one.

CHIEF

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Anyone that would actively participate in the planned Jihad called for this coming Friday. Ones willing to rush the barriers in Gaza and either take one for the team or give one.

CHIEF

There must have been a muslim memo sent out about a shortage of virgins available, because these mother fuckers are rushing to die.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Viper said:

Not sure why I'm surprised but this whole massacre is becoming a conspiracy theory

That dude's pinned tweet is a 2022 interview with tucker carlson that he's SUPER proud of. Doesn't seem like the sort of person I would trust to be responsible with information and their platform

• Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

🤔

lol. yeah, i bet there is work in progress on those runways

seen people say that the flight that was diverted actually had quds leadership and a bunch of military equipment on board. the foreign minister evidently landed in iraq to have discussions with their leadership

this seems useful re: supply chain

• Hook 'Em 3

a lot more misinformation on twitter now, including a ton of videos from Syria.

belingcat: Hamas Attacks, Israel Bombs Gaza and Misinformation Surges Online --> https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/10/11/hamas-attacks-israel-bombs-gaza-and-misinformation-surges-online/

we've got attacks that did happen but weren't of what folks said they were, recycled footage from Guatemala, Egypt, Algeria and Syria, older attacks that did happen in Gaza but in 2021 and was shared as if it was new.

Some of the examples above received thousands of views and continue to circulate online. Several of them have been shared by the accounts of NGOs and news organisations on social media, as well as by prominent individuals with verified accounts on the same platforms.

Importantly, these cases did not require sophisticated image manipulation techniques to convince users that the imagery was credible enough to be amplified. They were simply miscontextualised and misrepresented, knowingly or unknowingly, by those who initially posted them.

In an already incredibly volatile media environment, this heightens the need for caution when amplifying inflammatory claims about a fast-moving situation. Bellingcat continues to monitor the latest war in Israel-Palestine, including the IDF’s bombing of the Gaza Strip, with the aim of documenting civilian harm.

it's only going to get worse over the next week on this front.

Guardian: How Israel-Hamas war disinformation is being spread online --> https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/oct/11/how-israel-hamas-war-disinformation-is-being-spread-online

The video shows a young boy in a black T-shirt apparently lying in a pool of blood on the ground. Above him is a camera, with a man shouting directions near him. Two men in kippahs, the Jewish skull caps, and men in green military fatigues similar to Israel Defence Forces (IDF) uniforms are gathered around him.

The clip has been viewed about 2m times on X, formerly known as Twitter. It was shared by a verified user with the caption: “Video showing Israel attempting to create fake footage of deaths.”

In fact, the clip is a behind-the-scenes shot from a Palestinian short film, Empty Place, which focuses on the vacuum left by Palestinians who fled due to the Israeli occupation. It seems to have originated on TikTok before finding its way to X – but while the original TikTok post now appears to be unavailable, on X it has continued to circulate and gain traction.

The user behind the X post that attracted 2m views later acknowledged the clip may have been used out of context.

Russia can't help themselves w/r/t Bellingcat, ever.

Russia has been a longstanding culprit for spreading disinformation on X, and appears to have been capitalising on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. On Monday the former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev, the deputy chair of the Russian Security Council, tweeted: “Well, Nato buddies, you’ve really got it, haven’t you? The weapons handed to the Nazi regime in Ukraine are now being actively used against Israel.”

Another video, apparently showing Hamas thanking Ukraine for the sale of weapons it plans to use against Israel, was posted by an X account linked to the Russian mercenary group Wagner. It has since been viewed more than 300,000 times and amplified by far-right accounts from the US.

In February, the Pentagon’s inspector general reported that there was no evidence to date of weapons and aid to Ukraine being diverted to third parties, while Ukrainian intelligence this week accused Russia of placing “trophy” western weapons seized from battlefields in Ukraine with Hamas to undermine support for Kyiv.

Eliot Higgins, the founder of the investigative outlet Bellingcat, also flagged up a fake video purporting to be from the BBC that claimed to feature a Bellingcat investigation showing Ukraine smuggled weapons to Hamas. He said it was being pushed by Russian social media users but added it was unclear if this was a Russian government disinformation campaign or a grassroots effort.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

You actually believed the Friday thing? Thought it was thoroughly debunked already. And just using common sense when have they ever broadcasted plans to attack like that. 

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

a lot more misinformation on twitter now, including a ton of videos from Syria.

belingcat: Hamas Attacks, Israel Bombs Gaza and Misinformation Surges Online --> https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/10/11/hamas-attacks-israel-bombs-gaza-and-misinformation-surges-online/

we've got attacks that did happen but weren't of what folks said they were, recycled footage from Guatemala, Egypt, Algeria and Syria, older attacks that did happen in Gaza but in 2021 and was shared as if it was new.

it's only going to get worse over the next week on this front.

Guardian: How Israel-Hamas war disinformation is being spread online --> https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/oct/11/how-israel-hamas-war-disinformation-is-being-spread-online

Russia can't help themselves w/r/t Bellingcat, ever.

Concerning

• Rage+1 3

I listened to a podcast with Michael Oren. He said:

-the free world is behind Israel, for now. That WILL change. Hamas operates and bases in civilian centers. IDF activities will kill civilians, even if on accident (he referenced Qana in 1996, when stray Israeli munitions hit a refugee camp managed by UN) and international support will flip to resistance. 
-He said that Abbas was elected to a four year term 18 years ago. When he dies, Hamas will win the next election, if there is a Hamas. That will be 10 times bigger of a problem than Gaza. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Not sure why I'm surprised but this whole massacre is becoming a conspiracy theory

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

That dude's pinned tweet is a 2022 interview with tucker carlson that he's SUPER proud of. Doesn't seem like the sort of person I would trust to be responsible with information and their platform

Yep, the bots have been unleashed and now there's a ton of the Qanon idiots (who happen to overlap with the Putin/Russian apologists) pushing that there wasn't a massacre and that because there's not full videos of what happened at the music festival, that nobody was murdered there, and it was all a false flag for Israel to use to destroy Hamas.

Meanwhile, Hamas is on social media saying "fuck yeah we killed a shitload of Israelis!"

It's the exact same shit we saw with Ukraine, these idiots would say "Putin doesn't want the end of Ukraine" and meanwhile Putin is out writing op-eds and giving speeches about how Ukraine doesn't have the right to exist.  The useful idiots are being contradicted by the very people they support.

Report the shit out of them, especially if they post explicit material - the explicit material, not the misinformation itself, seems to be what's getting accounts pulled down.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

You actually believed the Friday thing? Thought it was thoroughly debunked already. And just using common sense when have they ever broadcasted plans to attack like that. 

debunked?

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/former-hamas-chief-calls-protests-neighbours-join-war-against-israel-2023-10-11/#:~:text=DOHA%2C Oct 11 (Reuters),join the fight against Israel

DOHA, Oct 11 (Reuters) - Former Hamas chief Khaled Meshaal called for protests across the Muslim world on Friday in support of the Palestinians and for the peoples of neighbouring countries to join the fight against Israel.

"[We must] head to the squares and streets of the Arab and Islamic world on Friday," Meshaal, who currently heads Hamas's diaspora office, said in a recorded statement sent to Reuters.

Meshaal, who is based in Qatar, said the governments and peoples of Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Egypt have a bigger duty to support the Palestinians.

"Tribes of Jordan, sons of Jordan, brothers and sisters of Jordan... This is a moment of truth and the borders are close to you, you all know your responsibility," Meshaal said.

Jordan and Lebanon are home to the largest number of Palestinian refugees.

His rallying call came as Israel vowed to escalate its response to an attack by Hamas with a ground offensive, after Israeli fighter jets struck more than 200 targets in Gaza city overnight. Gaza's health ministry said at least 950 people have been killed and 5,000 injured in the crowded coastal enclave.

On Saturday, Hamas gunmen from the Gaza Strip rampaged through parts of southern Israel, in the deadliest Palestinian militant attack in Israel's history.

"To all scholars who teach jihad... to all who teach and learn, this is a moment for the application (of theories)," Meshaal said.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

I listened to a podcast with Michael Oren. He said:

-the free world is behind Israel, for now. That WILL change. Hamas operates and bases in civilian centers. IDF activities will kill civilians, even if on accident (he referenced Qana in 1996, when stray Israeli munitions hit a refugee camp managed by UN) and international support will flip to resistance. 
-He said that Abbas was elected to a four year term 18 years ago. When he dies, Hamas will win the next election, if there is a Hamas. That will be 10 times bigger of a problem than Gaza. 

I disagree with him. The beheading of children isn’t something you can come back from. Hamas is finished. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I disagree with him. The beheading of children isn’t something you can come back from. Hamas is finished. 

The movement towards the extreme (by both parties) will continue. That next new extremist organization may not be called Hamas, but it will be more violent. This is an intractable problem unless Palestinians lay down and give up, which I doubt they are going to do.

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, the bots have been unleashed and now there's a ton of the Qanon idiots (who happen to overlap with the Putin/Russian apologists) pushing that there wasn't a massacre and that because there's not full videos of what happened at the music festival, that nobody was murdered there, and it was all a false flag for Israel to use to destroy Hamas.

Meanwhile, Hamas is on social media saying "fuck yeah we killed a shitload of Israelis!"

It's the exact same shit we saw with Ukraine, these idiots would say "Putin doesn't want the end of Ukraine" and meanwhile Putin is out writing op-eds and giving speeches about how Ukraine doesn't have the right to exist.  The useful idiots are being contradicted by the very people they support.

Report the shit out of them, especially if they post explicit material - the explicit material, not the misinformation itself, seems to be what's getting accounts pulled down.

The QAnon/Putin Apologist were already well known to be idiots and people that will gleefully spread misinformation. Think the crazier thing is to see this pop up in industries that should be better. We really are seeing the horseshoe theory in action for this specific event. 

An example is below from a LA Times Journalist, and he definitely isn’t the only one. 

• Rage+1 3

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

If they are finished, it will be because Israel has the will to see it through. I agree with Oren- Hamas puts military assets in hospitals. Hospitals have maternity wards. When an IDF bomb kills Palestinian babies and infants, that will be trumpeted to the world, and opinion will move to “Israel is over-reacting”. 

I believe Israel knows this and this is impacting the scope and timing of their plans. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The useful idiots are being contradicted by the very people they support.

Those people have proven, over and over again, to be beyond reach of any hope. 

This morning on npr they were interviewing a woman who was against rabies vaccines for pets, despite scientific evidence that side effects are incredibly rare while rabies is always fatal.  

Her response was that she lives her life unconcerned about rare events like rabies, but once saw a dog ‘act strange’ after getting a rabies vaccine.  Literally contradicted herself, without irony, in a single sentence on national radio.  

8 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Her response was that she lives her life unconcerned about rare events like rabies, but once saw a dog ‘act strange’ after getting a rabies vaccine.  Literally contradicted herself, without irony, in a single sentence on national radio.  

Yeah, I've heard a few people say that, and I just mention that I've probably killed half-a-dozen animals with rabies in my life, and they were "acting strange".  Just a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1