Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

Ok so I stopped following the blow by blow, just saw on cnn at work that Israeli Defense Minister says they'll “see Gaza from the inside soon”. 

What would be the stated goal of an incursion into Gaza? I ask because I fear this will be extremely bloody and I’m curious what specifically they intend to achieve?

2 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Ok so I stopped following the blow by blow, just saw on cnn at work that Israeli Defense Minister says they'll “see Gaza from the inside soon”. 

What would be the stated goal of an incursion into Gaza? I ask because I fear this will be extremely bloody and I’m curious what specifically they intend to achieve?

1) There are a whole lot of hostages that Hamas is holding in Gaza

2) There are a lot of Hamas who need to be eliminated

3) There are a whole lot of weapons that need to be removed

4) There are a whole lot of tunnels that need to be backfilled

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

1) There are a whole lot of hostages that Hamas is holding in Gaza

I'm really concerned we're about to see a bunch of human shields tied to buildings/etc while Hamas shoots from behind them forcing the IDF to make some really horrible decisions.  I hope I'm wrong, but if there's an organization in-humane enough to do this, Hamas is one of 'em.

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think Israel just picked a side in the Ukraine/Russia war

Yeah, the Russian government praising Hamas and the Palestinians and Putin saying that it's "unacceptable" if Israel kills any Palestinian civilians, that pissed off a whole shitload of Israelis.  Dumbest fucking thing for Putin to do.

When you watch the Russian state media's evening TV shows, some of those hosts are so angry about Ukraine and Zelenskyy, there's been times you could tell they wanted to say "and that Jew Zelenskyy, who does he think he is?"  It was on the tip of their tongues, they were just foaming at the mouth, and some of them can't stop bringing up that he's Jewish, and they love their Jewish conspiracies on those shows.

The fallout from the Hamas attack is going to have some really long-term repercussions that a lot of us didn't expect - putting Israel firmly in the Ukrainian camp, and not just the Likud party, but a lot of Israelis are going to see Hamas trying to kill as many Jews as possible aligning with Russia trying to kill as many Ukrainians as possible.

Oh, and the US is shooting down cruise missiles and drones headed for Israel.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, MagicSoccerSpray said:

Credible and excellent news to build trust and viewership and then bullshit when it comes to topics that are core interests for the state that finances it. I am trying to put my finger on how I might describe an outlet with that description. 

Strong “other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play” vibes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I can't disagree with that.  I follow AJ for lots of stuff.  Coverage of the ME ain't among that stuff.

The key thing is to remember that disseminating targeted ME-related propaganda is the mission of Al-Jazeera and the solid news they produce everywhere else is just the shaping operation. 

Zeihan is a smart person and smart people have a hard time realizing they’re marks. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On the college campuses, I don’t know that it’s motivated by anti-semitism as much as by training to have a default affinity for marginalized peoples. 

Gazans are poor, and have restricted mobility out, either to Israel or Egypt. Israel takes the lead in restricting and monitoring supplies into Gaza. That is one part of the equation. 

Deadly missiles are regularly launched, from Gaza, into Israel, aimed at nothing in particular (but they hope to kill some Israelis). Israel has an Iron Dome, but it doesn’t stop all, and intersected missiles still have to fall somewhere. Missiles, and the materials needed to fab them, come from somewhere and get in somehow, so Israel is very careful to try to restrict such shipments. October 7 shows why they are careful about border control. This is the other side of the question. 

Are the Gazans oppressed and marginalized because of the cruelty of Israel? 

Or, are they in such a shitty situation because they have a really shitty leadership (like North Koreans)?

I think that where you fall on this decision guides how you view the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Viper said:

In CNNs defense, if they had to filter out all the interviewees that praised hitler and the torture and rape of jews, they might not have but a few people left to bring on

LOL, I saw her interview. I would love to see Anderson Cooper show the interview again and then show her tweets. That isn't who CNN and Anderson Cooper are, though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just before the latest brew-ha-ha started in middle east, I had started reading this book, which suddenly became intensely topical.

It is mainly about two things, Israel's covert actions against Iran's nuclear program in the last 15 years and the behind the scenes diplomacy between Israel-US-Saudi-UAE that led to the Abraham accords. All this is documented with the authors seemingly having access to highest levels of Israeli and sometimes US decision-makers. 

Even though it is told from an Israeli perspective, it sets up the scene regarding where we were when this fit hit the shan. The covert operations bits make it an exciting read to boot.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/101021745-target-tehran

100730827.thumb.jpg.281c774f2a1b427c71e0114d5dc96482.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Just before the latest brew-ha-ha started in middle east, I had started reading this book, which suddenly became intensely topical.

It is mainly about two things, Israel's covert actions against Iran's nuclear program in the last 15 years and the behind the scenes diplomacy between Israel-US-Saudi-UAE that led to the Abraham accords. All this is documented with the authors seemingly having access to highest levels of Israeli and sometimes US decision-makers. 

Even though it is told from an Israeli perspective, it sets up the scene regarding where we were when this fit hit the shan. The covert operations bits make it an exciting read to boot.

So the Jews DID do this.

Bitcoin Eth GIF by FullMag

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Israel has decided that, existentially, they cannot let Iran have nukes. And I really mean “existentially” (at least, for this iteration of Iran). There is a fascinating history of the lengths they will go to to forestall that happening - murder, sabotage. 

Great premise for a dark comedy- a uniquely brilliant young Iranian is encouraged to study physics, and upon graduating, comes into the Mossad’s radar, and then has to try to elude their assassination attempts while deciding what to do as he learns about the regime’s plans for his work. 

• Hook 'Em 2