Maybe we need an Argentina thread too

C-Man

28 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they can throw bodies with ak’s into the grinder. not sure they cave enough boats to get them there 

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-symbol-of-argentinas-decaying-navy-sinks-in-port-2013jan23-story.html

^It's been a while, but I can't imagine their Navy has improved much since then.  Also recall this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_ARA_San_Juan

And saying taking the Falklands back polls high in Argentina is like saying "Nailing Penelope Cruz polls high among Chad Fuck's dream dates."

I mean, your "pro" rate on that is going to be approaching 100%, but the likelihood of it happening is pretty slim.  Sad Chad.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 2

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

And saying taking the Falklands back polls high in Argentina is like saying "Nailing Penelope Cruz polls high among Chad Fuck's dream dates."

I mean, your "pro" rate on that is going to be approaching 100%, but the likelihood of it happening is pretty slim.  Sad Chad.  

"If you will it, it is no dream"

- Theodor Hertzl

- Walter Sobchak

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s just rattling the saber on a high polling topic 

Once he gets that Chinese money flowing in, maybe they send along some Chinese military hardware too

YPF is going bring in a very shiny penny

I have a friend working on a joint Shell/YPF project right now.  He says everyone is puckered pretty tight waiting to see what will happen.  But ultimately all this crazy man's ideas have to get filtered through the Congress and from what I understand, there are not a lot of people on board with the new president's brand of crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I have a friend working on a joint Shell/YPF project right now.  He says everyone is puckered pretty tight waiting to see what will happen.  But ultimately all this crazy man's ideas have to get filtered through the Congress and from what I understand, there are not a lot of people on board with the new president's brand of crazy. 

I think selling off YPF has a shot. The grifting will be massive and benefiting both sides 

Argentina has the potential to be an energy giant 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Interesting Cliff Claven factoid. NATO didn't respond to Argentina attacking a NATO country (UK-Falklands Islands) because the NATO treaty only covers attacks north of the tropic of cancer (line that cuts Cuba and Mexico.) I was unaware of that clause. We could be on our own if someone attacked Puerto Rico.

On 11/20/2023 at 3:00 AM, Dnaguy said:

Or maybe we don’t throw stones in our glass house.

Brexit foretold of a rightward populism that resulted in Trump being elected here.

God help us if this foretells Trumps reflection. 

Counterpoint (hopefully), before the 2020 Election we had both Brazil elect Bolsonaro in 2018 and the Conservative Party absolutely crush the Labour Party in the UK December 2019 general election.  Biden still won.

This could just be Argentina's version of 2016.  They are pissed off and are willing to give the nutjob a chance because "how could it get worse" or "he'll tone it down once he's in office."  The U.S. voters already saw how that worked out first-hand.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

always, but I have a hard time seeing uk Gen z getting fired about this issue 

The Brits have more than 1,000 troops permanently stationed in the Falklands now as opposed to 68 Royal Marines when the first war started. I looked up the Argentine Navy and it reads like a scrap metal guy's dream. Assuming the operable ships managed some sort of complete surprise landing, I am not sure if they could transport more troops than the Brits have in the area. Never mind what sort of unstoppable fighting spirit the Argentine infantry must have developed in the past 40 years of whatever they have been doing.

More likely their navy would face a worse fate than what the Russian Navy is getting in the Black Sea and the land battle would be moot.

But yeah, "Malvinas!" probably gets the same kind of whoopin and hollerin in Argentina as "SEC CHAMPS!" does in College Station.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

When my parents lived in BA, their apartment looked the Plaza San Martin (you can actually see their apartment building on the right side of this pic):

monumento-a-los-ca%C3%A3dos-en-malvinas-

In the center of the plaza is the memorial to the dead from the Malvinas war.  It's a sad damn thing -- buncha dead Argentines for no good fucking reason.

But, MORE importantly....on any sunny day, that park was filled with sunbathing Argentine women.  My parents kept some cheap extra binoculars in their wet bar area for guests to borrow to, ummm, check out the architecture.

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When my parents lived in BA, their apartment looked the Plaza San Martin (you can actually see their apartment building on the right side of this pic):

In the center of the plaza is the memorial to the dead from the Malvinas war.  It's a sad damn thing -- buncha dead Argentines for no good fucking reason.

But, MORE importantly....on any sunny day, that park was filled with sunbathing Argentine women.  My parents kept some cheap extra binoculars in their wet bar area for guests to borrow to, ummm, check out the architecture.

That concrete thing on the left reminds me of Amiens' Tour Perret.

A friend of mine said the American Study Abroad kids would walk out of the train station, stand in the rain, stare at the Tour Perret, and cry.

I have taken their best-day-in-summer Chamber of Commerce pic and adjusted it for 9/10s of the days in Picardy. Couldn't add the drizzle so for realism, just rub an ice cube on the back of your neck.

Amiens_-_Tour_Perret_(24407010979).jpeg

Amiens_-_Tour_Perret_(24407010979) copy.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have eaten a damn good choripan under those trees on the right side of that part. Beautiful city. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What does Turkey have to do with the Atlantic part?

4 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Do you even geography bro? 

Should have chosen the Czech Republic or some other landlocked country for your comeback.

Turkey is on the Mediterranean, which is a sub-part of the Atlantic Ocean.

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Interesting Cliff Claven factoid. NATO didn't respond to Argentina attacking a NATO country (UK-Falklands Islands) because the NATO treaty only covers attacks north of the tropic of cancer (line that cuts Cuba and Mexico.) I was unaware of that clause. We could be on our own if someone attacked Puerto Rico.

Surly Horns.  Dick jokes and social studies!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

driving around BA on a nice sunny day = lot of women laying out sun bathing 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2023 at 11:39 PM, tx 3 putt said:

The vp …

Girl GIF

She's pure evil, 100000 times worse than Milei. Milei is just an Argentinian Ron Paul. She, on the other hand, is a sympathizer for the military junta dictatorship that kidnapped and killed thousands of Argentinians during the Dirty War. Her father was a military officer who was part of this junta and she has spent her entire career starting an disinformation campaign insinuating that most of the victims never existed and the ones that have been proven to exist were terrorists.

https://english.elpais.com/international/2023-09-25/victoria-villarruel-javier-mileis-running-mate-who-vindicates-the-dictatorship-and-opposes-abortion-and-gay-marriage.html

Villarruel is seeking the support of the conservative base for her favorite culture war: dynamiting the consensus on crimes against humanity perpetrated by the most-recent dictatorship (1976-1983) and changing the story about the political violence that took place in the 1970s. This fight is centered on language. In her speeches, she rejects “the dictatorship of a single way of thinking” and “the dictatorship of minorities” – and she avoids applying the term to the regime that governed Argentina from March of 1976 until December of 1983. Instead, she refers to it as a de-facto government. “What happened in Argentina was an internal armed conflict, a low-intensity war,” the candidate said at the beginning of 2021, in a discussion about the 1970s that she uploaded to social media. For the legislator, the story told in schools and universities is “partial and distorted,” because it silences the violence carried out by guerrilla organizations, such as the ERP and Montoneros, which were aligned with former president and military strongman Juan Domingo Perón. She also considers the figure of 30,000 missing adults and children – calculated by human rights organizations such as the Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo – to be “a myth.”

Villarruel often attacks these organizations and their leaders, who are symbols of the fight for human rights in Argentina. Last week, she verbally attacked the president of the Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo, Estela de Carlotto: “The truth is that Carlotto has been a quite sinister character for our country, because – with her kind, granny-like appearance – the reality is that she has justified terrorism.”

Estela Carlotto’s daughter, Laura, was a member of the Peronist University Youth when she was kidnapped in November of 1977. She was three months pregnant at the time. The military detained her in a clandestine detention center, until she went into labor on June 28, 1978. She gave birth while handcuffed on a stretcher at the Military Hospital. The newborn was taken from her and given up for adoption. Laura was murdered two months later and her son grew up in a family that raised him as their own. He did not learn about his true identity until 2014.

“Of course you may feel pain for the death of her daughter… but [Carlotto] doesn’t mention that her daughter was a Montoneros combatant. You could say that everything about Carlotto is an example of the great hypocrisy of the left,” Villarruel sniffed.

• Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I have a massive boner for Buenos Aires.  I seriously considered buying a place there when it was cheap cheap.  Painful to see how that country is run.

They should be marketing the entire country to Americans as the place to retire to

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

driving around BA on a nice sunny day = lot of women laying out sun bathing 

So my from the hip observation of South American women, Argentina is the best European leaning genetic mix on the one hand, Colombia/Venezuela is the best native gene mix on the other end of the spectrum, with Brazil having the best of both worlds square in the middle.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I assure you my test methods are beyond reproach.  Anyhoo, all this talk about the Falklands got me thinking, this seems like a movie that would be supported here:

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

They should be marketing the entire country to Americans as the place to retire to

I went to dinner with my folks and their financial planner a long while back, just after I'd returned from a one year stint teaching in Argentina.  This guy was a medic in Vietnam, and whatever bad shit there was to see, he saw it.  He told me the best duty he ever had was treating guys with VD in the rear, towards the end of his tour.  So that kind of set the framework for what "bad" vs "good" was in that context. Anyhow, dinner is over, the folks go home and it's just he and I and an open bar.  He then proceeds to regale me with tales of all the whorehouses in the world, and that the best one he ever went to was in Buenos Aires.  I told him that was news I could've used about six months prior.  Basically, he said since facing death that often in Vietnam, every day was a freebee and he was spending it making money and banging whores.  Apparently he was very adept at both./csb

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I've been a couple times and will be spending a month or two there this spring. I've thought of getting a long-term place there, but their legal system and rule of law is FUBAR and I wouldn't trust any government not to mess with property rights, particularly those of foreigners. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Orale said:

I've been a couple times and will be spending a month or two there this spring. I've thought of getting a long-term place there, but their legal system and rule of law is FUBAR and I wouldn't trust any government not to mess with property rights, particularly those of foreigners. 

100%.  I still keep in touch with friends down there who have managed to make a decent lifestyle, mostly by converting pesos to dollars as fast as they can.  But this is the political problem throughout SA.  Very wide swings politically ever other decade or so.  When people complain about how slowly our system moves, I just point south and ask, "Is that what you want?"  in the same tone of voice as Archer talking about ants. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orale said:

That.  I wouldn't sink capital into that society.  But I WOULD spend a (relatively affordable) chunk of change to spend a couple of months of Argentine summer on the shores of lake Nahuel Huapi, maybe in Villa Langostura.  If it was good enough for nazis in hiding, it's good enough for me.

91c155f4-7e31-49ab-aa0e-cd4d93b2ce25.jpg

Hop over to some of the rivers flowing nearby for some glorious trout fishing.  Toss some great beef on the parilla.  Yeah, I could do that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hawaii is also an interesting problem for Article 5. 

44 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I went to dinner with my folks and their financial planner a long while back, just after I'd returned from a one year stint teaching in Argentina.  This guy was a medic in Vietnam, and whatever bad shit there was to see, he saw it.  He told me the best duty he ever had was treating guys with VD in the rear, towards the end of his tour.  So that kind of set the framework for what "bad" vs "good" was in that context. Anyhow, dinner is over, the folks go home and it's just he and I and an open bar.  He then proceeds to regale me with tales of all the whorehouses in the world, and that the best one he ever went to was in Buenos Aires.  I told him that was news I could've used about six months prior.  Basically, he said since facing death that often in Vietnam, every day was a freebee and he was spending it making money and banging whores.  Apparently he was very adept at both./csb

never been to a whorehouse, but we went to a men’s club in BA and they had about 100 ‘10’s’ in white g strings. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

never been to a whorehouse, but we went to a men’s club in BA and they had about 100 ‘10’s’ in white g strings. 

I can't say I've been to a true, dedicated whore house.  But I've been to some clubs that were definitely branching out in their business opportunities.  The Jet Set in Dallas in the mid 90s comes to mind.  

57 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

If you can’t find the “clubs” in BA after a whole year of teaching there then you weren’t looking very hard.  

On 11/21/2023 at 2:10 AM, tx 3 putt said:

All things being equal it beats Trump jerking off imaginary dudes. I laughed at at about halfway through that video when he was grinding away on whoever that person is, presumably not his wife.

image.png.f1f050c9f8dbae9db22a732702ae474c.png

The reaction here in the US would be something else. At least currently. We're probably heading that direction as the world spirals into global idiocracy. 

• Haha 1

I can't say I've been to a true, dedicated whore house.  But I've been to some clubs that were definitely branching out in their business opportunities.  The Jet Set in Dallas in the mid 90s comes to mind.  

That place was busted twice in the mid 90s. I figured cosmopolitan dudes like yourself went to Sans Souci.
  • Haha 1