NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

53 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I always used to want LeBron on the Spurs. But I will take the consolation prize of him being a sleeper agent that hamstrings the Lakers and fucks their chances at winning.

at this point i feel like the organization doesn’t even care about winning so long as LeBron is there and increasing the value of the franchise. i’m certain they would rather have five more years of lebron and zero titles than this year and next year with lebron where he wins them a title and then retires.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

at this point i feel like the organization doesn’t even care about winning so long as LeBron is there and increasing the value of the franchise. i’m certain they would rather have five more years of lebron and zero titles than this year and next year with lebron where he wins them a title and then retires.

I don't think Lebron cares all that much about titles anymore either - he undoubtedly sees what the rest of us can see - that the Lakers are not a title contender so might as well just get as much money as he can and live the good life in LA.

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I don't think Lebron cares all that much about titles anymore either - he undoubtedly sees what the rest of us can see - that the Lakers are not a title contender so might as well just get as much money as he can and live the good life in LA.

Yeah, I defended Kobe for taking the bag way past his prime too, even though Kobe was barely functional by the end of the contract. Like, what move are the Lakers going to pull off that would make them title contender if LeBron only asks for, say, $30M instead of $60M? With how the salary cap works, that doesn't mean that they would be able to go out and sign a $30M free agent.

I'm guessing Steph gets one more max deal too since their title days look over. Good for them after all they've done for their franchises and the league as a whole. I respect the hell out of dudes like Duncan and Brady who have always taken less, but I don't begrudge the ones who don't.

I can't believe Mobley didn't come up with that steal to ice the game. Luka somehow comes up with it and drives towards Allen in the paint, then passes the game winning shot to PJ for the layup. Not something I would expect Luka to do in that situation, but you gotta give him credit for making the best play for the team.  

image.png.be89e2596144355e54c0e5ae41233369.png

Strus was on another level last night, 7/12 from the field with 7/10 from 3, including that last heave. I know the chances of making that shot with 2.8 remaining on the clock is very low, but I'm pretty sure the Mavs had a foul to give if they wanted to mess with the Cavs play. This game was actually a very quiet from the officials, not too many fouls and free throws called. They surprisingly let them play a lot, and I know we complain about how soft the game has gotten, but watching that one felt like how it should be. 

With that crazy win, the Cavs are now 3-3 since the All-star break, and are not looking as hot as before. Garland really needs to work on his 3, if he could get to the upper 30s consistently, a lot of these games wouldn't be close. 

It’s amazing in the grand scheme of things, there was 2.6 seconds left which in basketball terms can be considered an eternity. Cleveland had no timeouts. Why on earth Strus the inbounder isn’t sending Mobley or whoever down the court to get a much higher percentage shot. Instead he passes it to the nearest guy who passes it back to him which takes a good 1.5 seconds

I’d think pro bball players would have some better awareness of the situation

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s amazing in the grand scheme of things, there was 2.6 seconds left which in basketball terms can be considered an eternity. Cleveland had no timeouts. Why on earth Strus the inbounder isn’t sending Mobley or whoever down the court to get a much higher percentage shot. Instead he passes it to the nearest guy who passes it back to him which takes a good 1.5 seconds

I’d think pro bball players would have some better awareness of the situation

he was aware... that he was en fuego.

57 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Unless they become uninterested or injured, I don't think anyone is beating the nuggets. They are so complimentary to each other and connected. They put on a clinic tonight against the Kings. 

100%. Nuggets have another gear and they showed it tonight after being down double digits early. Couple of shots I took from the game

IMG_3265.jpeg

IMG_3260.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

watch how poorly coordinated the Clippers are, if you hate basketball.  Very few screens for each other, simply rely on 1-on 1 skills to get buckets which works most of the time.  If they ever run a real pro offense with 3-5 screens, like the Nuggets, they'd win 65 games with the talent on board. Secondly, they really need some tall athletic black dudes. 

Unless they become uninterested or injured, I don't think anyone is beating the nuggets. They are so complimentary to each other and connected. They put on a clinic tonight against the Kings. 

To be fair…kings were missing their best player.

I’m sure denver wins anyways, score likely would’ve been closer

And wow…I went to bed well before clippers lakers finished…clippers blew a 19 pt lead going into the 4th??? Haha

Clippers fading from the top of the west, about to join the cluster fuck of the 4-8 mess

8 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

easy, SGA and tatum both. No contest. 

Very much a contest.  We’re talking about top 5 right now.  SGA is second in scoring in the league and is leading a team of 20 year olds to the 2nd best record in the west and is in the 1 of 3 considered to be legit MVP candidates.  Tatum has better stats in almost every category compared to Bron.  And his team has the best record in the league.  LA is barely in the playoff picture.  

Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, SGA, Tatum, Luka, KD, Steph are all takes over Bron currently.  Book and Ant Edwards are in the convo as well. Not saying Bron isn’t still good and that what he’s doing at 39 isn’t impressive, but he’s not got the choke hold on the league he's had. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I don't remember the last time I've seen a 68-21 run after being down 15. That was impressive.
100%. Nuggets have another gear and they showed it tonight after being down double digits early. Couple of shots I took from the game
IMG_3265.thumb.jpeg.ddd5989d3959ad1480decb79053d4356.jpeg
IMG_3260.thumb.jpeg.a4b1f24eab1f4e44ee0f69312f683325.jpeg
Nice seats

27 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

it's close, even inclusive. 

He has an argument for top 10 or 15. The gap between the A1 tier and LeBron is rather large. The Lakers are 2 GB for the 8th seed. His team isn't any less talented than KD's and Durant has the Suns 3 games better despite Beal and Booker missing 38 combined games. Kawhi has had just as good of a season, too.

He is 2nd on his own team in win-shares to AD. He is behind AD in NBA's PIE. He isn't in the top 20 in win shares league-wide. He's top 10 in some plus-minus metrics and he's stuffing the stat sheet this season but there are literally zero metrics to suggest he's a top 5 player. 

He's having a better season #s-wise than Curry but I'm not sure I'd take him over Curry. Jimmy Butler was better in the playoffs last year.

He's playing at a phenomenal level for a 39 y/o but there are at least 5 if not a couple more players right now that are just straight up better any way you slice it. That isn't an indictment of LeBron - that's just the reality.

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He has an argument for top 10 or 15. The gap between the A1 tier and LeBron is rather large. The Lakers are 2 GB for the 8th seed. His team isn't any less talented than KD's and Durant has the Suns 3 games better despite Beal and Booker missing 38 combined games. Kawhi has had just as good of a season, too.

He is 2nd on his own team in win-shares to AD. He is behind AD in NBA's PIE. He isn't in the top 20 in win shares league-wide. He's top 10 in some plus-minus metrics and he's stuffing the stat sheet this season but there are literally zero metrics to suggest he's a top 5 player. 

He's having a better season #s-wise than Curry but I'm not sure I'd take him over Curry. Jimmy Butler was better in the playoffs last year.

He's playing at a phenomenal level for a 39 y/o but there are at least 5 if not a couple more players right now that are just straight up better any way you slice it. That isn't an indictment of LeBron - that's just the reality.

team record isn't the primary factor. Lebron has always been better than KD, even now, same for AD.  You want to win a game, you pick AD or Lebron?  Lebron completely outplayed Kawhi last night.  He's solid top 5 right now.

35 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Lebron has always been better than KD, even now, same for AD.

michael jordan laughing GIF

Okay bro. AD was clearly their best player in the playoffs last season. He was arguably their best player in 2020. Durant was better in 2019 and has been better every year since 2020.

The Ringer has him 12th behind KD, AD and Booker. https://nbarankings.theringer.com/rankings

We're talking team record because you're labeling him as a top 5 player in the league. Durant and Luka both have their meh rosters 2-3 games ahead of the Lakers right now. Why would that not matter? Neither of them have gotten 56 games of AD, either. 

You watched him play one nice game and think that makes him a top 5 player. 

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

LeBron isn't a top 5 player but I'd still take him in a playoff series over most of those guys.

He hasn't won a playoff game past the 2nd round in 4 years. 

Did I just dream the Lakers in the WCF last year? Pretty impressive run from being a play in team.

Ohhh they got swept. So what. The Nuggets were beating everyone last year. When is the last time KD was in a conference finals, if that's the barometer?

Also....Jimmy Butler not being mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised to see them making a deep run again.

Edited by Pam Cummings

13 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Did I just dream the Lakers in the WCF last year? Pretty impressive run from being a play in team.

Ohhh they got swept. So what. The Nuggets were beating everyone last year. When is the last time KD was in a conference finals, if that's the barometer?

Durant and Booker took 2 games off of Denver with CP getting hurt and Ayton being his usual sack of shit self. Durant was playing heavy minutes on D at the 5 that entire series against the best player in the league. LeBron had a nice series against Denver but they couldn't manage one win. 

Not that it matters - I don't see anyone arguing that KD is still a top 5 player right now. There are 5 guys fairly unobjectively better than both of them. 

Also - LeBron should make the playoffs first before we rank who we'd rather have in a playoff series.