Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

I find it interesting that Cleveland is interviewing Craig Counsell, I didn't know he would be an option, but I think he would be an excellent hire for the Astros. He's a smart guy, runs the team with a more modern analytics type approach, and has had success with one of the cheapest clubs in the MLB. He could probably do a lot more with a team willing to spend. He also hit that game 7 walkoff single as a rookie in 1997 against Cleveland, so fuck him for that... but he would make a good option over a lot of the other names thrown out. Vogt has been interviewed twice by Cleveland, but hasn't been offered the job, so it appears he's on ice while they continue interviews.

Counsell's former boss David Stearns left Milwaukee for the Mets this offseason, so there is speculation he may wind up there, but he hasn't interviewed with the Mets yet (despite them getting clearance to do so). Stearns was also considered for the Astro's POBO position, which hopefully tells us a bit about what direction the plan to go with management in the near future. 

I haven't seen any confirmed interviews for Joe Espada yet. I know several teams have been suggested as being interested in him, but no confirmations yet. Anyone see any news on him?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I haven't seen any confirmed interviews for Joe Espada yet. I know several teams have been suggested as being interested in him, but no confirmations yet. Anyone see any news on him?

I wonder about Espada. He’s been the bench coach since 2018 yet has barely gotten a sniff from other teams. He was supposedly a candidate for the Astros job in 2020 but was probably too connected to Hinch to be seriously considered. I think he’s only had 2 other interviews for a managerial position, the Rangers in 2018 and the Cubs in 2019. 

Edited by TonyTexas

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

I wonder about Espada. He’s been the bench coach since 2018 yet has barely gotten a sniff from other teams. He was supposedly a candidate in 2020 but was probably too connected to Hinch to be seriously considered. I think he’s only had 2 other interviews for a managerial position, the Rangers in 2018 and the Cubs in 2019. 

He interviewed with Miami and CWS last year 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I find it interesting that Cleveland is interviewing Craig Counsell, I didn't know he would be an option, but I think he would be an excellent hire for the Astros. He's a smart guy, runs the team with a more modern analytics type approach, and has had success with one of the cheapest clubs in the MLB. He could probably do a lot more with a team willing to spend. He also hit that game 7 walkoff single as a rookie in 1997 against Cleveland, so fuck him for that... but he would make a good option over a lot of the other names thrown out. Vogt has been interviewed twice by Cleveland, but hasn't been offered the job, so it appears he's on ice while they continue interviews.

Counsell's former boss David Stearns left Milwaukee for the Mets this offseason, so there is speculation he may wind up there, but he hasn't interviewed with the Mets yet (despite them getting clearance to do so). Stearns was also considered for the Astro's POBO position, which hopefully tells us a bit about what direction the plan to go with management in the near future. 

Also, Craig Counsell as manager with Bagwell as hitting coach would give us the best batting stance managerial staff ever.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I wonder about Espada. He’s been the bench coach since 2018 yet has barely gotten a sniff from other teams. He was supposedly a candidate for the Astros job in 2020 but was probably too connected to Hinch to be seriously considered. I think he’s only had 2 other interviews for a managerial position, the Rangers in 2018 and the Cubs in 2019. 

You a man that isn’t right. If anything he went into multiple interviews as the betting favorite to be the guy and didn’t get the gig. If anything that sort of makes me believe that he’s probably not the guy lots of Astros fans think he is. It’s impossible for me to know without being in the room, obviously, but I’d start from a position of moderate skepticism if he was the hire. 
Counsel would be great. 
Francona would be an absolute HR. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

he told teams the truth and not what they want to hear ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Fuck no on Ron.  For crisakes retire, motherfucker.

Ron is maybe the greatest fielding coach in MLB history.  The guy is an absolute legend.  I thought he was a lot of fun with the Rangers.  I mean none of that stops what you said from being any less true.

Another manager worth checking on would be Kevin Cash of the Rays. He makes 2 million a year with them, which is very cheap for a successful manager. If nothing else, offering him 5 million a year and forcing the Rays to renegotiate his contract means they have less money to spend on their team.  

I can't believe how cheap some of these managers are in the MLB, when every other major sport seems to start at 5m+ for a head coach. I can see a team like the A's or Royals spending very little, but the Rays have been a contender for several years now and they are about to build a new stadium. We should make them tie up some money if possible, or steal their manager in the process :D

21 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's because coaches don't have systems in baseball and you either have the players or you don't.  The best managers are the ones who have good players and don't fuck it up.

Managing 26 personalities from March until October is a full time job. Then you have 162 games to worry about 

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

It's because coaches don't have systems in baseball and you either have the players or you don't.  The best managers are the ones who have good players and don't fuck it up.

Right.  Really- the only thing a manager can do is fuck up a team.  Dusty was really good at that by who he chose to play. Some other managers are good at that by alienating the team.  But the math is known and not at all hard to figure out. It's the easiest job in the 4 major professional sports, managing a MLB baseball team.  I mean- of the jobs that matter like players, GM's, managers/coaches.  

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Right.  Really- the only thing a manager can do is fuck up a team.  Dusty was really good at that by who he chose to play. Some other managers are good at that by alienating the team.  But the math is known and not at all hard to figure out. It's the easiest job in the 4 major professional sports, managing a MLB baseball team.  I mean- of the jobs that matter like players, GM's, managers/coaches.  

You know, I've never liked the idea of robo-umps (I prefer the chaos of human fallibility) but I would prefer a robo manager, at least until they began to be broadly adopted and all the decision making begins to be the same. 

That's one reason why I want the GM to do the hiring; I want there to be clear accountability. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

You know, I've never liked the idea of robo-umps (I prefer the chaos of human fallibility) but I would prefer a robo manager, at least until they began to be broadly adopted and all the decision making begins to be the same. 

That's one reason why I want the GM to do the hiring; I want there to be clear accountability. 

hard no on robo umps 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

My co-host on pod, Andrew, disagrees with me and wants a full time robo manager basically that always does the mathematically correct thing. I wouldn't hate that, but I have zero problem with a manager making sub optimal decisions to make the clubhouse happy when they are very very close (like a couple percent outcome changes). Sometimes it is just not worth having a fight because your way is microscopically better.  I'm thinking of things like pulling Yordan for a better defensive player up 2 in the 9th- stuff like that.  Why piss him off for something that might decide 3 games a decade?  But playing Maldonado 125 games at catcher?  That should get a person keelhauled.  I think it's almost impossible to fathom another sentient human being doing more to rip wins away from the team with brutally bad lineup decisions. Unless they hire 3 putt. 

• Haha 1