THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]

texifornia

Playoff scenarios that would put Texas in the playoff 100%:

1) Florida State loses to either Florida/Louisville (ACC misses playoff) 

Scenarios where the committee will determine our fate:

2) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over a 1 loss Pac 12 Champ Oregon by virtue of a H2H road win against the SEC champ (PAC misses playoff)

3) Bama beats Georgia, Texas gets the nod over Bama by virtue of a H2H road win (assuming Washington wins out, SEC misses the playoff)

4) Georgia beats Bama, we win beauty contest with Oregon (PAC misses playoff)

Highly unlikely but technically still possible:

PAC misses playoff:

5) Washington loses to Wazzu, then beats Oregon in the PAC champ (Texas goes over 1 loss PAC champion Wash)

SEC misses playoff:

6) Georgia loses to Bama and Bama loses to Auburn prior to that result (SEC misses playoff)

Big 10 misses playoffs scenario:

7) Ohio St/Mich winner loses the Big 10 champ game to Iowa (lol) (Big 10 misses playoff)

Situations 1: 100% that Texas would get in. 

Situations 2, 3 and 4 I feel better than 50/50 about Texas's chances. I feel the least good about #4 

Situations 5, 6, and 7 are extreme longshots to occur but for the sake of completeness I included them.

Edited by The_Great_Hornsby
  • Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Basically said Texas’ win against Bama didn’t matter now because it was in September and that we want no part of them now. Made a huge ass out of himself to the point where Leinart was telling him to chill out.

What an assclown. Cant blame him for repping for his university but what a dumbass take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, hornbri said:

To be fair, if they beat Washington then they will have two wins against comparable teams. (i think we still have the argument based on overall SOS). 

It’s this. The thing that will matter will be who you play against/beat next week. If Oregon beats unbeaten Top 4 Washington (and avenges their only loss of the season) I don’t see how the committee leaves them out, given their bias towards recency.

I think it ends up being OSU/Mich, Georgia, Texas, Oregon at the end of the day.

If a one loss Bama gets in over a one loss Texas there's a long term risk no blue bloods will schedule quality OOC opponents turning September into a snoozefest of games.

It won’t really matter that much with a 12-team playoff. It will only effect seedlings at that point.

"Texas beat Alabama by 10 in their stadium".
"Yeah but that was in September."
I keep hearing a variation of that. How fucking nice for us, when that game/trip is all risk and no reward. So dumb.

Those same people are also saying you can’t leave a 1 loss Georgia team out because of shit that happened last god damned season. Ok. So in Texas’ case, September doesn’t matter, but in Georgia’s case September of last season still matters? Why? Fuck off with that nonsense.
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Herbstreit seemed pretty confident that if we win the Big XII championship, we’re in.

Everyone on GameDay except Desmond was pumping up Texas. No surprise that Fox is more acrimonious given they are losing the brand. This is all about tv and money (no shit, it’s college football), which is one key reason why Texas has a great chance to get in.

13 hours ago, oh_snap said:

There is no fucking way Oregon makes the CFP and Texas doesn’t if we win next weekend in Arlington.

No. fucking. way.

Actually it is probable Oregon would make it over Texas. How can you be SO sure of yourself here.  Lol. 

11 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

I don't know why so many people expect [bama to beat 'Georgia.

I see Georgia, us, Big 10 and Pac 12...Fla st. is left out...resume reason for fla st.

I don’t think many people expect it, and Kirby will use it. I think UGA wins convincingly. I do think Bama is in over us with a UGA win. And there is zero chance an undefeated FSU gets left out for a 1-loss Texas.

It’s like Dusty was telling Pasch last night—if you’re going to use that argument (Alabama is better now than in week 2) and not give Texas credit for going in to Tuscaloosa and beating then, then what is the point of playing those types of games?

I have to say, Dusty is really good at his job as an analyst. He’s a sooner, but is about as real and straight forward as it gets. He could easily bad mouth Texas (like Tillman) but he doesn’t. Props to him for being a pro.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, BigHornedLurker said:

I guess I didn't consider Louisville a threat but maybe that is naive 

They were a very outside threat were they to beat FSU and be an 11-1 ACC Champ. Now there's the chance both the B10 and ACC Champ have 2 losses. Unlikely, but good for Texas in the big picture. And tOSU now gets out of the way.

dominos-falling.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

We aren't passing a 1-loss Oregon team. They're already ahead of us, just beat Oregon St (vs Tech for us), and would have to beat UW (vs OK ST for us). Committee isn't going to jump them based on this week and next if both win.

I think our two realistic paths are 1) Bama beats UGA. Still very uncertain if we'd stay ahead of Bama even though we should, or 2) FSU loses to UF or Louisville. Highly likely we would jump them in that scenario.

There's also potential 1-loss conference losers in play - would we definitely be ahead of 1-loss UGA, Washington, or even tOSU? UW would have a case considering they beat Oregon earlier and hard to leave out double defending-champ UGA. It'd be messed up if any of these teams went ahead of us but you never know..

• Prepare your anus 1

The committee is going to have us jump Oregon on Tuesday. They have the datapoints they need to do it now and they aren’t braindead like the coaches poll where one team loses and everyone moves up one spot. They will reorder when needed.  This whole thing is run by the TV Illuminati, which bodes well for Texas in most cases. 

The obvious path to the cfp is an FSU loss, everyone knows that. But absent that, I actually think our next best path is Oregon beating UW in the pac12 champion game, especially if we pass them this Tuesday like I think we will. Oregon and the defunct pac12 will get fucked, not Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

We aren't passing a 1-loss Oregon team. They're already ahead of us, just beat Oregon St (vs Tech for us), and would have to beat UW (vs OK ST for us). Committee isn't going to jump them based on this week and next if both win.

Name the best OOC win for the PAC12. (6-6 Texas Tech or 6-5 currently losing Wisconsin)

The 3rd best team in the PAC12, Arizona, lost to a 5-7 Mississippi State.

Oregon’s best conference win is against an 8-4 Oregon State (ours was against a 8-3 maybe soon to be 9-3 K State).

Oregon’s best OOC win was a late come back against a 6-6 Texas Tech (EVERYONE in the country knows we beat Bama by double digits in Tuscaloosa where we ran out the clock with 7 minutes left in the 4th).

Even if they beat Washington, maybe they offsets our Bama win but then if we beat OU/OSU it also puts our resume over the top.

We also have a common opponent argument with Tech that significantly favors us as well as we beat the shit out of them and they required a late comeback to win.

I think you guys are rubbing your pussies too hard here.

11 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Name the best OOC win for the PAC12. (6-6 Texas Tech or 6-5 currently losing Wisconsin)

The 3rd best team in the PAC12, Arizona, lost to a 5-7 Mississippi State.

Oregon’s best conference win is against an 8-4 Oregon State (ours was against a 8-3 maybe soon to be 9-3 K State).

Oregon’s best OOC win was a late come back against a 6-6 Texas Tech (EVERYONE in the country knows we beat Bama by double digits in Tuscaloosa where we ran out the clock with 7 minutes left in the 4th).

Even if they beat Washington, maybe they offsets our Bama win but then if we beat OU/OSU it also puts our resume over the top.

We also have a common opponent argument with Tech that significantly favors us as well as we beat the shit out of them and they required a late comeback to win.

I think you guys are rubbing your pussies too hard here.

Can’t it be said you’re rubbing your pussy too hard here as well? No one is denying what you wrote above rather people are just questioning why Oregon has continued to be ahead of Texas in spite of all of the above. If both Oregon and Texas win their CCG and Oregon is already above Texas, it’s a valid question to ask why would the committee all of a sudden move Texas ahead of Oregon with the same record and same result after having beat a higher ranked team in their CCG? That isn’t denying what we’ve accomplished rather it’s just a valid question to be asked—that’s all. There’s nothing wrong with that yet people are getting upset about asking the question and accounting for probability/possibility. You’re 100% correct at the above, though.

And if the committee does move Texas above Oregon and we both have Conference Championships, then it makes me question the credibility of the committee yet again because why didn’t you move Texas ahead of them weeks ago if you’re justification is one or more of the accomplishments posted above?

That’s really it. It’s not that big of a deal.

They were a very outside threat were they to beat FSU and be an 11-1 ACC Champ. Now there's the chance both the B10 and ACC Champ have 2 losses. Unlikely, but good for Texas in the big picture. And tOSU now gets out of the way.
dominos-falling.gif

The only way a B10 champ has two losses is if Iowa (lol) beats (lol) Michigan.

When we win the Big12 championship game its going to come down to simply does a 1 loss Big 12 champ trump an undefeated ACC champ for the 4th spot. Washington losing and then beating Oregon, Alabama losing then beating Georgia will throw everything into chaos however

Edited by Michael Knight

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

When we win the Big12 championship game its going to come down to simply does a 1 loss Big 12 champ trump an undefeated ACC champ for the 4th spot. Washington losing and then beating Oregon, Alabama losing then beating Georgia will throw everything into chaos however

No. FSU is in if they win the ACC. We would need help like the other champs also have 1 loss. We get in, assuming we win, because we had the earliest lost and won out. 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Can’t it be said you’re rubbing your pussy too hard here as well? No one is denying what you wrote above rather people are just questioning why Oregon has continued to be ahead of Texas in spite of all of the above. If both Oregon and Texas win their CCG and Oregon is already above Texas, it’s a valid question to ask why would the committee all of a sudden move Texas ahead of Oregon with the same record and same result after having beat a higher ranked team in their CCG? That isn’t denying what we’ve accomplished rather it’s just a valid question to be asked—that’s all. There’s nothing wrong with that yet people are getting upset about asking the question and accounting for probability/possibility. You’re 100% correct at the above, though.

And if the committee does move Texas above Oregon and we both have Conference Championships, then it makes me question the credibility of the committee yet again because why didn’t you move Texas ahead of them weeks ago if you’re justification is one or more of the accomplishments posted above?

That’s really it. It’s not that big of a deal.

The committee absolutely will adjust as needed especially when there are shakeups in the rankings.

New data points this week:

Texas secures it’s spot in the Big 12 CCG

Texas destroys Tech and team that shares a common opponent with Oregon

Ohio State loses/Michigan wins

Regular season will be complete and they can accurately compare conference strength 

They’ve stated that the margins between the one loss teams was very slim, I think they have a better argument now versus next week to move teams around.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

The committee absolutely will adjust as needed especially when there are shakeups in the rankings.

New data points this week:

Texas secures it’s spot in the Big 12 CCG

Texas destroys Tech and team that shares a common opponent with Oregon

Ohio State loses/Michigan wins

Regular season will be complete and they can accurately compare conference strength 

They’ve stated that the margins between the one loss teams was very slim, I think they have a better argument now versus next week to move teams around.

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything. My post was stating that I don't see why people get upset at others on this website who question possibility and probability when looking at this. It's like they are being treated as outcasts because they are accounting for possiblities that (gasp) may not favor Texas. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything. My post was stating that I don't see why people get upset at others on this website who question possibility and probability when looking at this. It's like they are being treated as outcasts because they are accounting for possiblities that (gasp) may not favor Texas. 

Fair, I think there are a few posters on here absolutely assuming the worst case. I think if you can review the facts most reasonable people would realize it will be difficult to keep Texas out (not impossible, but improbable).

The Bama win was huge, without that we’d very likely be on the outside.

This week's ranking is critically important for us. Even if everyone holds serve, I hope the committee moves us ahead of Oregon because we beat the common opponent more handily. We also have a better SOS. If they don't do it this week, then it will be hard to put us ahead of Oregon in the final ranking if both win their conferences.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

This week's ranking is critically important for us. Even if everyone holds serve, I hope the committee moves us ahead of Oregon because we beat the common opponent more handily. We also have a better SOS. If they don't do it this week, then it will be hard to put us ahead of Oregon in the final ranking if both win their conferences.

We're not moving ahead of Oregon this week, the rest of the games don't matter SEC, BIG and PAC12 all get their champs in, the key will be the 4th spot and its gonna be between us and FSU assuming FSU wins the ACC and knowing we win the Big 12. I will allow for the 1% chance Michigan loses to Iowa

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

We're not moving ahead of Oregon this week, the rest of the games don't matter SEC, BIG and PAC12 all get their champs in, the key will be the 4th spot and its gonna be between us and FSU assuming FSU wins the ACC and knowing we win the Big 12. I will allow for the 1% chance Michigan loses to Iowa

This has always been wrong. 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]