texifornia

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I think they put Ohio St in over us. 

No. They. Won’t. 

Good God, y’all are delusional in trying to pretzel yourself into ensuring Texas is out. Teams that don’t play this weekend are getting passed up. As it happens EVERY YEAR. Unless a P5 champ has 2 losses, a 1-loss champ is in ahead of a 1 loss non champ. Every year. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

I think they put Ohio St in over us. 

Not if we have a conference championship. That does make a difference. It didn't last year because no one else with a conference championship was high enough to be there in place of Ohio State. Utah, KSU. 

Just now, blutow said:

The only new thing we learned tonight is that there is no situation where we jump Oregon.  The rest of it is business as usual.  FSU loss and we're in.  Bama win and we have a good shot.  

We need Bama to lose because if they win in this case then we are out.

they couldn’t have telegraphed this more - Georgia is in no mattter what. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, blutow said:

The only new thing we learned tonight is that there is no situation where we jump Oregon.  The rest of it is business as usual.  FSU loss and we're in.  Bama win and we have a good shot.  

We've all discussed this to death, but the best shot of that happening IMO is if Oregon, Texas, and Bama are all sitting at 12-1. And the committee says screw it and takes Texas and Bama. Texas and Oregon leaves out the SEC winner. Bama and Oregon and you're leaving out the team that gave Bama their one loss. 

3 minutes ago, blutow said:

All I care about is a Texas win and an FSU loss. Then we are in. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I do agree we need Bama to lose. If they win and FSU loses, there will be fuckery with Georgia, simply because SECITMEANSMOARRRRR! Georgia will get credit for being undefeated all year and losing at the end. I can very easily see these morons on this stupid committee doing just that. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

What the fuck are you talking about. No they are not. They just dropped Ohio st to 6 after a loss to number 3…. Uga is not making it in with a loss. Tough shit. 

Edited by Texasborn91
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

His scenario is by far the cleanest path for Texas to make the playoff. How is he wrong? 

His scenario leaves only one possibility for Texas to get in and eliminates several others. 

If Texas wins:

Texas is in if FSU loses. Nothing else matters. (There can be a maximum of 4 conference champs with 12-1 or better records, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 10). 

Texas is in if Michigan loses. Nothing else matters. (There can be a maximum of 4 conference champs with 12-1 or better records, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC). 

If both Michigan and FSU wins, our only chance is Oregon and Alabama winning, meaning 2 of Texas, Oregon, and Alabama will get in as 1 loss conference champions. Alabama would get in and then our h2h would come into play to drag us in over Oregon. 

There is simply no benefit to us to rooting for Georgia and Washington. None. Zero. 

• Hook 'Em 7

This is wrong. A conference champ has never been left out in favor of a non-conference champ of similar record. Never happened. The more one loss teams, the better for us. 
Any ranking before the final is merely to generate interest. They mean nothing. 

I tend to agree if you are comparing us with Washington, but I absolutely could see them putting both Bama and Georgia ahead of us if we all have one loss. No idea what happens if Michigan loses but don’t want to find out.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

It's weird. You keep claiming things like "the big 12 is utter dogshit" and that Oregon has a "notable edge" in analytics, but so far, every time your opinion has been tested by reality, it has fallen short. Oregon has a small edge in some analytics. Massey actually has Texas higher than Oregon and Washington. Sagarin has multiple predictors, with Texas being ahead in one of them, but slightly behind in the overall composite.  A narrow win for Oregon and a blow out of OSU by Texas may be enough to switch the two in Sagarin's composite rankings.

Sagarin has #4 Oregon 1.94 points better than #7 Texas, similar gap to Texas vs OU (who interestingly is ranked 8 right behind Texas - big drop off there).

SP+ has Oregon 2.5 points better than #7 Texas, enormous gap after Bama who is basically tied with Texas so no real comp.

FPI has #3 Oregon 2.8 points better than #7 Texas, a little wider than the gap between Texas and #11 ND (interestingly top 10 seems to be where most ratings are falling off a cliff)

The FEI gap between #2 Oregon and #7 Texas is equal to that between Texas and #21 USC/#22 Clemson.

#5 Texas is marginally ahead of #7 Oregon in Massey's ratings (8.88 vs 8.85, which is really a T-6 with Washington), which measure past performance, but Oregon has a power rating 2 points higher, again slightly bigger than the gap between Texas and OU.

KFord has #3 Oregon rated 2.3 points higher than #7 Texas, also a little wider than the gap between Texas and #11 ND.

Analytics generally suggest Oregon would be a pick'em against Texas on the road and provide a general consensus that one is a top 4 team and one isn't. That is a notable advantage in the context of picking the top 4 teams.

On 11/26/2023 at 6:37 PM, Huckleberry said:

Every committee has been different but most of them have stated that winning the conference championship is the differentiator. It's extremely possible for Ohio State to be ahead of a team tomorrow and then that team pass them when they win next week. In fact, I expect exactly that to happen for at least one team. I would not be surprised to see Ohio State ahead of any number of Texas, Alabama, and Oregon tomorrow and then for any of those teams who win next week to pass them in the final rankings.

The panic in here is so silly. This was obviously going to happen and just as obviously Texas will pass Ohio State with a win on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Just now, The Dog said:

Hard disagree that a Georgia non-champ gets in.  Much more likely that we pass up Bama if they win and get that spot.  Nothing is guaranteed, but the chance of SEC being excluded is much higher than the chance of them putting 2 in with a non-champ.  It's been beat to death in this thread, but all the times a one loss non-champ has made it was when there were no 1 loss champs in play.  

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

His scenario leaves only one possibility for Texas to get in and eliminates several others. 

If Texas wins:

Texas is in if FSU loses. Nothing else matters. (There can be a maximum of 4 conference champs with 12-1 or better records, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and Big 10). 

Texas is in if Michigan loses. Nothing else matters. (There can be a maximum of 4 conference champs with 12-1 or better records, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC). 

If both Michigan and FSU wins, our only chance is Oregon and Alabama winning, meaning 2 of Texas, Oregon, and Alabama will get in as 1 loss conference champions. Alabama would get in and then our h2h would come into play to drag us in over Oregon. 

There is simply no benefit to us to rooting for Georgia and Washington. None. Zero. 

Still don’t believe Bama gets the nod over us. We beat them by 10, at their house. If that didn’t matter they’d already be over us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

OSU is 8th behind Alabama and Oregon.

Well that’s just stupid. Ohio State isn’t dropping behind teams that just lost their second games (ands Alabama should have two losses already).  At worst Ohio State holds at six but probably ends up at five if FSU loses and the other teams above hold serve.  

1 minute ago, Texasborn91 said:

Still don’t believe Bama gets the nod over us. We beat them by 10, at their house. If that didn’t matter they’d already be over us. 

Seriously, they’re not letting that H2H go. We’ve been stumbling around with UH, TCU, KSU, ISU and Bama destroyed Tennessee and LSU (ranked teams) back to back and they still didn’t get slotted ahead of us 

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I tend to agree if you are comparing us with Washington, but I absolutely could see them putting both Bama and Georgia ahead of us if we all have one loss. No idea what happens if Michigan loses but don’t want to find out.

It has never happened. A non champion has never gone in over a champion of equal record. Non-champions have been jumped in the final rankings several times. You're worrying about an event that has an infinitesimal chance of happening and jettisoning multiple avenues of us getting in. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Seriously, they’re not letting that H2H go. We’ve been stumbling around with UH, TCU, KSU, ISU and Bama destroyed Tennessee and LSU (ranked teams) back to back and they still didn’t get slotted ahead of us 

Yep. The body of work is there. Frankly Bama would probably be favored against Texas again just as Texas would be favored in an OU rematch. If they wanted to put Bama over Texas they have the ammo. If Bama wins and Texas doesn't look anemic in winning, they are both going to the playoffs and Oregon will be holding the bag if FSU wins.

Edited by gmr548

15 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Any ranking before the final is merely to generate interest. They mean nothing. 

I wouldn't agree with that. Having the precedent of Oregon over Texas now even though almost every metric favors Texas sets them up to have 1 loss conference champ Oregon in over 1 loss conference champ Texas. They're saying they will do that with this ranking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you guys have watched the committee basically disregard our resume all year and still think we somehow won’t get fucked then I don’t know what to tell you.

A Louisville win + chalk elsewhere SHOULD get us in but I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

Edited by Darth Tron
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not if we have a conference championship. That does make a difference. It didn't last year because no one else with a conference championship was high enough to be there in place of Ohio State. Utah, KSU. 

Yeah, they want Ohio State as high they possibly can put them in the event that carnage happens on Saturday. That way it appears to be a no-brainer include them in the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Odds to make CFP

ESPN BET

- Texas 5th (+125)

- Ohio State 8th (+2200)

image.thumb.png.70366ea2c87058a0ab76d9eeeff4e04b.png

ESPN Predictor

Texas 5th (48%)

Ohio State not listed (they've only listed the teams in conf championship games; would presumably be lower than Texas/48%)

image.thumb.png.5de42069b7f521a846047d5f7d1a0033.png

So the ESPN calculator doesn’t think Georgia has much of a chance to make it in with a loss. I’m assuming that 4% difference is a chaos scenario with multiple losses, including Texas

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I wouldn't agree with that. Having the precedent of Oregon over Texas now even though almost every metric favors Texas sets them up to have 1 loss conference champ Oregon in over 1 loss conference champ Texas. They're saying they will do that with this ranking. 

It's possible. That's why we need the combination of Oregon and Bama winning. Both need to happen in order to give us a good shot if neither Louisville or Iowa come through. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Fuck them. It’s one of the reasons I have always wanted a playoffs where all conference winners get in. Lose and you go to a bowl. 3rd runner ups go to a bowl. That’s it. Oh well…I hope we win out. Georgia beats Bama. Washington kicks Oregon duck ass. And Michigan…well fuck them too but I will be a Hawkeye fan this weekend. Florida State could fall. Let’s just take care of business. Should have beaten OU. 

If someone could somehow replace Flash in this gif with our mascot that would be cool. The committee can get fucked. This is why you don’t leave it to a bunch of dolts in a conference room. It’s absurd. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Texasborn91 said:

The Oregon boards are saying they would roll Tech by 50 also if they played today. PNW Aggy? 

They’re on a roll, so they might. Unless it’s a night game in Lubbock where weird things happen to top 5 teams 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

If Bama wins and Texas doesn't look anemic in winning, they are both going to the playoffs and Oregon will be holding the bag if FSU wins.

I was thinking about that angle as well, but I believe the Oregon love is too strong.  I expected them to put tOSU at #5 this week in front of all the one loss teams.  The fact that they elevated Oregon above and kept Texas and Bama below is telling.  If Bama wins, we get the spot (based on head to head) or Bama gets the spot (because Bama/SEC and recency of win over Georgia).  Most of the predictors I've seen basically makes the scenario a coin toss (ie - nobody knows how the committee would deal with it, it's totally unprecedented).  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I think now we need both FSU to lose and Georgia to win. If FSU loses but Alabama wins they will almost definitely put both Alabama and Georgia in over us. I  feel that 100 percent is the case after seeing the disrespect we got today. 

We only need FSU to lose, it's that simple. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll concede that we want chaos if FSU wins, but I will stand by my statement that we want chalk if they lose.

I think it just ceases to matter if FSU loses. There is no conceivable scenario where Texas wins, FSU loses, and Texas misses out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Oregon’s position and our position don’t matter. If Oregon beat undefeated UW, they would pass us. 
Oregon takes UWs spot, we just need another spot to open up ala Florida St, mich, UGa losing

Exactly. No clue why everyone’s all wound up on Oregon. The winner of the PAC title game is in whether it’s Oregon or UW. An FSU loss and MAAAYBE a Bama win are the only scenarios we care about

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’ll concede that we want chaos if FSU wins, but I will stand by my statement that we want chalk if they lose.

It doesn't matter if they lose. We would be 1 out of at most 4 conference champs with 1 loss or less. A non champ is only getting in if there are multiple upsets. And it isn't getting in over a 1 loss champ. Not happening. 

22 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Sagarin has #4 Oregon 1.94 points better than #7 Texas, similar gap to Texas vs OU (who interestingly is ranked 8 right behind Texas - big drop off there).

SP+ has Oregon 2.5 points better than #7 Texas, enormous gap after Bama who is basically tied with Texas so no real comp.

FPI has #3 Oregon 2.8 points better than #7 Texas, a little wider than the gap between Texas and #11 ND (interestingly top 10 seems to be where most ratings are falling off a cliff)

The FEI gap between #2 Oregon and #7 Texas is equal to that between Texas and #21 USC/#22 Clemson.

#5 Texas is marginally ahead of #7 Oregon in Massey's ratings (8.88 vs 8.85, which is really a T-6 with Washington), which measure past performance, but Oregon has a power rating 2 points higher, again slightly bigger than the gap between Texas and OU.

KFord has #3 Oregon rated 2.3 points higher than #7 Texas, also a little wider than the gap between Texas and #11 ND.

Analytics generally suggest Oregon would be a pick'em against Texas on the road and provide a general consensus that one is a top 4 team and one isn't. That is a notable advantage in the context of picking the top 4 teams.

anigif_sub-buzz-22846-1500491142-1.gif

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Georgia will get credit for being undefeated all year and losing at the end.

Not that you're necessarily arguing this-

-Texas's win over Bama doesn't count as much cuz it was at the beginning of the season

-Also, Georgia's loss doesn't count as much because it came at the end of the year to the team Texas beat

• Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I think now we need both FSU to lose and Georgia to win. If FSU loses but Alabama wins they will almost definitely put both Alabama and Georgia in over us. I  feel that 100 percent is the case after seeing the disrespect we got today. 

No. They will not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to THE College Football Playoff Rankings Thread [MICH,WASH,TEX,ALA]