Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

He's not big enough, durable enough, or a good enough athlete.  Here's where somebody posts Tom Brady's man boobs.  But Quinn is not 6-4.  He's a middle round pick at best.  

He’s been consistently rated as a first-second round pick and last I checked the NFL still loves them a white boy who wows against air. I could see second round pick but not lower than that.

Third round in recent years has been the realm of Desmond Ridder, Maalik Willis, Matt Corrall, Hendon Hooker, Kellen Mond, Davis Mills, and Kyle Trask (last pick of second round). Ewers will be a higher regarded pro prospect than that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It's too early to predict where Ewers will go, if he does leave early, other than "in the first couple of rounds". On one hand, he's shown that he can make all the throws, including with touch, by layering over defenders, and with different quick release points. On the other, he struggles to read defenses when his first read isn't there, he runs out of clean pockets prematurely, he's oddly inaccurate down the field, and for some reason he weighs like 195 pounds right now and keeps getting injured

When he returns, if he plays like shit like he did at times last year post-injury, he could be a third rounder. If he strings together strong performances and checks out medically at the combine while putting on 20 pounds of good weight, a team might roll the dice on him high in the first as QB3. At this point, the best guess is probably second half of the first round to first half of the second round, but it could go a lot of different ways. It doesn't help that there are a lot of QBs in this class who could also go in the same range *(McCarthy, Daniels, Beck, Nix, Penix, Rattler, and to a lesser extent Leonard and Van Dyke) and push him down a bit, and there will be six teams that won't be drafting a QB after four of them drafted QBs high last year and after two take Maye and Williams ahead of Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

20 pounds of good weight

How many QBs have six packs in the NFL? He doesn't need 20 pounds of "good weight" to be a high draft pick. He will mature physically as he continues to age, and exercise. He is athletic, evasive enough, tall enough and has some tools most QBs in the NFL wish they had. It is almost like people are trying to talk themselves into why QE might come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

How many QBs have six packs in the NFL? He doesn't need 20 pounds of "good weight" to be a high draft pick. He will mature physically as he continues to age, and exercise. He is athletic, evasive enough, tall enough and has some tools most QBs in the NFL wish they had. It is almost like people are trying to talk themselves into why QE might come back.

I posted nothing about Ewers coming back to Texas

Edited by Fud

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

I have no inkling where Ewers will go in the Draft. Nothing will surprise me at this point — but I do know NFL teams are desperate to find franchise QB’s. Hell, I had him as a lock for 1-1 after last year’s 49-0 win over Oklahoma. My concern if I was a NFL GM is his susceptibility to injury. He was injured in HS, got injured last year in his first year in Austin and injured again this season.

Teams are desperate to keep QBs on rookie contracts. $3MM vs $30MM in salary cap gives a lot to build a team with.

Week 10 TV ratings

Posted by mizslu314 iconmizzou.gif on 11/8/23 at 10:42 am
(viewers) 
1. Alabama vs. LSU (8.82M) 
2. Georgia vs. Missouri (7M) 
3. USC vs. Washington (4.45M) 
4. Rutgers vs. Ohio State (3.96M) 
5. Ok. State vs. Oklahoma (3.76M) 
6. Clemson vs. Notre Dame (3.24M) 
7. Texas vs. Kansas State (2.95M) 
8. Colorado vs. Oregon State (2.77M) 
9. Michigan vs. Purdue (2.6M) 
10. Maryland vs. Penn State (2.39M

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Week 10 TV ratings

(viewers) 

Next year after the hype wears off Deion there won't be any B12 games in the top 10. Fuck you Yorsuck!

13 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Week 10 TV ratings

(viewers) 

But where is the marquee SEC matchup of aggy/Ole Miss?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Fwiw which isn't much, NFL Mock Draft Database consensus mock currently has Quinn early 2nd round.
I think in most drafts Quinn would be a clear first rounder. What may hurt him this year is that it's such a QB-rich draft. Caleb and Maye at the top, then you have a huge bucket of potential 1st / early 2nd guys including Mccarthy, Shedeur, Nix, Penix, and Quinn.
That was the point I made in either this thread or another. Of course Quinn will be drafted if he declares this year, but the fact he has yet to play a full season at any level combined with the quality of QB's coming out this year may be enough to get him to consider coming back for one last run. Pre-NIL the chance he declares this year is probably somewhere in the high 90's if not 100%. With NIL plus the chance to be top dog next season I'd have to think it drops into the mid 80% range. He doesn't have a history of patience, I'll give everyone that. On the other hand he's grown up a bit and may decide it's a better business decision to come back next season. All I'm saying is there's a chance. Come back next season as possibly the top returning QB...play every single game...go to the ceremony in NY (winning isn't necessary)...push button...collect nachos.

This is my opinion but I believe it's Sark, as a former college QB, doing a solid for his guy he recruited who stuck by him after the Ewers transfer. I think he believes in Maalik and never thought he'd be so insanely turnover prone in 2 games. 
I get it, and if we were 6-3 with no shot at the playoffs or conference title I'd agree with it. But when you're right in line to play for the conference title you have to make the tough decision and find out on the field who is the best backup for the moment when 2 guys are this close and a number 1 in the class guy is in the wings. Just by virtue of what other top of class guys like Caleb Williams, Tua, and Lawrence have done coming in as true freshmen in recent years. 
I know time (and alcohol) wipes away memories, but even CW had some so-so to bad outings after he came in as the hero in Dallas that October. Lawrence is the only one that maintained a high level of play throughout iirc. I'm not saying MM is on the same level as Caleb or the others mentioned, just sayin.

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, Tex-19 said:
Fwiw which isn't much, NFL Mock Draft Database consensus mock currently has Quinn early 2nd round.
I think in most drafts Quinn would be a clear first rounder. What may hurt him this year is that it's such a QB-rich draft. Caleb and Maye at the top, then you have a huge bucket of potential 1st / early 2nd guys including Mccarthy, Shedeur, Nix, Penix, and Quinn.

That was the point I made in either this thread or another. Of course Quinn will be drafted if he declares this year, but the fact he has yet to play a full season at any level combined with the quality of QB's coming out this year may be enough to get him to consider coming back for one last run. Pre-NIL the chance he declares this year is probably somewhere in the high 90's if not 100%. With NIL plus the chance to be top dog next season I'd have to think it drops into the mid 80% range. He doesn't have a history of patience, I'll give everyone that. On the other hand he's grown up a bit and may decide it's a better business decision to come back next season. All I'm saying is there's a chance. Come back next season as possibly the top returning QB...play every single game...go to the ceremony in NY (winning isn't necessary)...push button...collect nachos.

Interesting take considering some have stated there is 0% chance he returns.

Interesting take considering some have stated there is 0% chance he returns.
Pre-NIL and the factors I mentioned that would probably be correct. Even before NIL there were always a couple QB's considered draft worthy that surprised everyone by coming back for another year of CFB. I think Michael Penix could have declared after he ended his year with a victory over our very own Longhorns in the Alamo bowl last year.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Pre-NIL and the factors I mentioned that would probably be correct. Even before NIL there were always a couple QB's considered draft worthy that surprised everyone by coming back for another year of CFB. I think Michael Penix could have declared after he ended his year with a victory over our very own Longhorns in the Alamo bowl last year.

This isn't pre-NIL, this was last week.

Huh? I'd like to add we don't really know when Quinn will be ready to play again. If he surprises us by starting Saturday and finishes the season strong, that greatly increases the chance he declares after our last game. If he sits out TCU and the clones (or longer) then it swings the other way imo.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Scrolling through the TCU board and this comment made me laugh. Every fan thinks if their team just played press coverage that would solve all issues!Screenshot2023-11-08at9_13_49AM.thumb.png.882467ca936462297adbadefbb76539b.png

If the WRs run 7 yard curls with the DBs still squatting at 9 yards, wouldn't that make for easy PBUs and maybe a pick?

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, texastroubadour said:

Is this the game we actually blow out from start to finish an inferior team?

I wish I could say yes but…

The 10-point spread says probably not.

I would also say the BYU game two weeks ago was in-hand the moment we went up 14-0 in the first quarter and was never in doubt.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
9 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Huh? I'd like to add we don't really know when Quinn will be ready to play again. If he surprises us by starting Saturday and finishes the season strong, that greatly increases the chance he declares after our last game. If he sits out TCU and the clones (or longer) then it swings the other way imo.

I'm just telling you, returning to play again this year or not, it has been said by multiple people that know way more about the situation than you or me that he is NFL bound.......period.