Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

4 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Run the ball, take some deep shots to keep them honest and for the love of god scheme Sanders to be your possession receiver when you need 5-8 yards on 3rd down.  

Let's add 13 to the list of critical-down targets inside 15 yards. Go his way 6 times minimum this week. 

Went through all 50 posts and no one said "take the points".  WTH?  We kick the FG during the game and a high percentage of the surly was ready to jump off the upper deck.

I believe we will win in a convincing manner.  Roaches and last year's Cinderella season are done.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

TCU is a bad football team and they are worse with Chandler Morris. Hopefully he’s back. They may be the worst defensive team Texas plays all year. They have JAGs all over the field on both sides. 

If Ewers can play, Texas will roll. If Ewers can’t go, I still expect Texas to win, but it could be a slog. Maalik Murphy is bad in almost every facet at QB and he’s going to attempt to cost Texas every game he plays. He is scared of contact, has zero mobility, has terrible mechanics, has no accuracy, makes poor decisions and then makes those decisions slowly. LOL at morons on this site and elsewhere who talked him up after watching him go against walk-ons while knowing he could not be hit. Jesus. 

Texas is going to have to bring in a transfer QB this off-season. Ewers is going to leave. Logically, MM will portal once he gets beat out by Arch this spring. Sark cannot go into next season with Arch and Trey Owens. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

With Murphy at QB, even this game could be a loss. He is likely to make a lot of mistakes, and can only throw a limited set of patterns. 

I know many have said there’s no way Arch plays, but he was warming up on the sideline of the KSU game and with Maalik’s health issue we could see him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas is going to have to bring in a transfer QB this off-season. Ewers is going to leave. Logically, MM will portal once he gets beat out by Arch this spring. Sark cannot go into next season with Arch and Trey Owens. 
You really think Ewers declares with two incomplete seasons under his belt? You may be right, but seems like he'd be leaving money on the table doing it this season with Caleb Williams, Penix, Nix and other better QB's coming out. I mean when's the last time he finished a complete season, soph year of HS?
  • Like 2

TCU isn’t good and it doesn’t matter who they start at QB. Honestly the freshman is probably better suited for what they want to do. If I’m TCU in just running tempo. They’ll score some points because the Texas secondary is terrible but between Texas getting some pressure and just not being that good they’re not about to light up the scoreboard with help.

Maalik Murphy flashed NFL potential in the scripted period yesterday but is a walking turnover. If Texas manages to take care of the football they should win. If they don’t they’ll probably lose. Hot take I know.

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

TCU isn’t good and it doesn’t matter who they start at QB. Honestly the freshman is probably better suited for what they want to do. If I’m TCU in just running tempo. They’ll score some points because the Texas secondary is terrible but between Texas getting some pressure and just not being that good they’re not about to light up the scoreboard with help.

Maalik Murphy flashed NFL potential in the scripted period yesterday but is a walking turnover. If Texas manages to take care of the football they should win. If they don’t they’ll probably lose. Hot take I know.

TCU is second nationally in plays run per game. Texas better bring the pass rush and get the secondary working. TCU will be in tempo and passing all evening.  

I have no doubt Texas should be able to run the ball at will. However, Murphy will need to protect the ball. 

If he starts, there’s a 70% chance Maalik goes full “deer in the headlights” Hudson Card mode… TCU’s defense is AWFUL, but they should have enough tape on MM to exploit his weaknesses.

We’ll lose straight up if it’s another 37 passing attempt game from MM… Sark needs to RUN THE BALL.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Murphy might be worse than Tyrone Swoopes. It’s pretty close.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

With Murphy at QB, even this game could be a loss. He is likely to make a lot of mistakes, and can only throw a limited set of patterns. 

I know many have said there’s no way Arch plays, but he was warming up on the sideline of the KSU game and with Maalik’s health issue we could see him. 

I've been to every game this season except Alabama.  Arch warms up on the sideline during every single game.  I wouldn't draw any conclusions in any direction based on Arch warming up on the sideline.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

If he starts, there’s a 70% chance Maalik goes full “deer in the headlights” Hudson Card mode… TCU’s defense is AWFUL, but they should have enough tape on MM to exploit his weaknesses.

We’ll lose straight up if it’s another 37 passing attempt game from MM… Sark needs to RUN THE BALL.

I think that would have been the gameplan if Brooks wasn't banged up. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Am I being too arrogant/ignorant to wish this week we could at least cut our turnovers in half and kick a field goal or two when we shit the bed in the red zone? I feel like would probably be enough win the rest of the games on the schedule. I’m asking too much aren’t I?

4 field goals were not enough for you?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Would love to see blue and Krob in space schemed 

Agreed.  I'm not sure why Keilan hasn't gotten more touches, the few times he has he's run hard and made things happen.  

Edited by gurt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

We are obviously not going to fix our red zone problems with MM in the game. So yeah, I would have liked if Sark would have taken the points last weekend.

I'm hoping Sark just felt more ballsy at home the last couple games, and over the next two road games he'll kick FGs instead of going for it every time on fourth down.

10 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Murphy might be worse than Tyrone Swoopes. It’s pretty close.

No fucking way.

I’m all for crazy drunken hot takes completely rooted in fantasy… it is surlyhorns… but this is a bridge too far.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If he'd kicked two in the first half, he wouldn't have had to kick one in OT

Okay so I've seen this comment or comments like this several times now.

Why are people trying to bake in a FG on that first Murphy INT? It was 2nd and 3 from the KSU 36. Is he supposed to just sit on the ball and trot out Auburn for 53 yards? 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Okay so I've seen this comment or comments like this several times now.

Why are people trying to bake in a FG on that first Murphy INT? It was 2nd and 3 from the KSU 36. Is he supposed to just sit on the ball and trot out Auburn for 53 yards? 

I believe everyone is referring to The forth down and 2 or so in the red zone where we went for it and completely fucked up the play, shot ohrselves in the dick. And would have gone up 20-0 or something like that.

I drank a lot on Saturday so my memory is somewhat fuzzy on specifics 

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

I believe everyone is referring to The forth down and 2 or so in the red zone where we went for it and completely fucked up the play, shot ohrselves in the dick. And would have gone up 20-0 or something like that.

I also would have kicked the FG there and said so at the time.  But man had the snap not been botched, it's probably a TD.  Sanders was wide open.

I did not like the decision not to go up 20-0 because you risk giving them momentum in a game where they had none if you don't get it.  But the play design was really good.  And the execution was piss poor.

Edited by Frank Drebin

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Post said "If he'd kicked two in the first half, he wouldn't have had to kick one in OT"

So the 4th down is one and the only other logical one was the drive that ended in the first INT.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I also would have kicked the FG there and said so at the time.  But man had the snap not been botched, it's probably a TD.  Sanders was wide open.

I did not like the decision not to go up 20-0 because you risk giving them momentum in a game where they had none if you don't get it.  But the play design was really good.  And the execution was piss poor.

Sark can call up the right play most of the time. But the lack of execution is horrendous. Fucking Red

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

Some of you actually just can't see or don't watch football anymore. TCU is actually fucking terrible. 

So was UH.  If our starting QB and other players keep turning the ball over, we can absolutely lose to TCU.  I also don't love, that like UH, their game before was on a Thursday so they have extra prep time.

I expect to win even with Maalik because we are better.  But we better cut the turnovers out.  A couple pick sixes could cost us dearly.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sark can call up the right play most of the time. But the lack of execution is horrendous. Fucking Red

Yeah Red's ball control at the snap is terrible.  IIRC he has bobbled a number of wildcat snaps and of course the disastrous 4th down play.  I was keying in on JT abd the play was there as the outside contain crashed down. 

The quick pitch we were more successful than not , though the 3rd down to Baxter got blown up.  I think in that instance , Blue is a better option, as he has more wiggle and overall speed.  We have been playing with fire and TCU on the road is not one to be fucking around.

1 minute ago, Frank Drebin said:

So was UH.  If our starting QB and other players keep turning the ball over, we can absolutely lose to TCU.  I also don't love, that like UH, their game before was on a Thursday so they have extra prep time.

I expect to win even with Maalik because we are better.  But we better cut the turnovers out.  A couple pick sixes could cost us dearly.

Quinn played the majority of UH and MM only came in late to hand the ball off and make like 8 throws. BYU was an ez win and kstate was a meltdown from everyone not just maalik. I get it he wasn't good last week, but he wasn't the reason the game was close. He was also responsible for the good stuff he did not just the bad. 

TCU is dogshit. They are cockroaches. They will be stomped. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

My gut tells me he is one more pick away from riding the pine, especially if it happens before anything good.

I'd imagine Sark is giving Arch a lot more reps this week in practice for a number of reasons. One, to see what he has if he has to pull Maalik in game. Two, to send Maalik a message that you can be replaced if you continue to suck. Three, to see who will run his system better because we can't beat TCU by only running the ball. We have to run the ball and that's the easiest way to beat them but you have to keep them honest. You need a guy who isn't going to give TCU better starting field position for free. I'm not as down on Maalik as everyone else seems to be. He's the best chance we have right now and we only need one more game out of him before we can go back to Quinn. Hell, maybe Quinn will shock us all and emerge from the tunnel with his helmet on this week, ready to go. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, ousux said:

You really think Ewers declares with two incomplete seasons under his belt?

Yes

13 hours ago, ousux said:

You may be right, but seems like he'd be leaving money on the table doing it this season with Caleb Williams, Penix, Nix and other better QB's coming out. I mean when's the last time he finished a complete season, soph year of HS?

If he stays, he will get injured again, and then he really takes a $ hit. Did you watch NFL Red Zone yesterday? Did you see the number of walking jokes starting at QB in the NFL?

All TCU did was create millions of dollars for media networks this season by making Colorado and Deion Sanders appear to be world beaters. Once Colorado played half decent teams, they crumbled, but the networks certainly sent a gift basket to Dykes for subsequent record ratings Colorado pulled in the next few weeks

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'd imagine Sark is giving Arch a lot more reps this week in practice for a number of reasons. One, to see what he has if he has to pull Maalik in game. Two, to send Maalik a message that you can be replaced if you continue to suck. Three, to see who will run his system better because we can't beat TCU by only running the ball. We have to run the ball and that's the easiest way to beat them but you have to keep them honest. You need a guy who isn't going to give TCU better starting field position for free. I'm not as down on Maalik as everyone else seems to be. He's the best chance we have right now and we only need one more game out of him before we can go back to Quinn. Hell, maybe Quinn will shock us all and emerge from the tunnel with his helmet on this week, ready to go. 

I think you have to give Arch an early series this week.  If nothing else just to be able to pull MM if he starts melting down again like he did last week and not have Arch's first snaps be with the game on the line.   Obviously everyone knows MM is a pocket passer but apparently he is absolutely zero run threat.  Arch may not be ready but I feel like he can at least scramble for 5 yards when it's wide open and avoid the panic throw directly at a DB with no Texas receiver in sight.  

Regardless, rest of the team has to play better when you have a chance to put the gaem away.  Defense played great overall but if we just push the receiver out of bounds on the play right before the quarter I feel like the game never gets away from us.  Set up red zone defense there and potentially get a stop or at least make them burn some 4th quarter clock.  Instead, they start the 4th with momentum and meltdown ensues.  And obviously, J Brooks has been great for us but just cannot fumble in that situation.  MM was the biggest issue but it took numerous fuckups to almost lose that game like we did. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If he stays, he will get injured again, and then he really takes a $ hit. Did you watch NFL Red Zone yesterday? Did you see the number of walking jokes starting at QB in the NFL?
Yes, and also why I think all the people here writing off Maalik as a bust are idiots. The NFL is filled with QB's I thought were hot garbage in college.

Still doesn't take away from the fact Quinn only has wins over what is now seen as a somewhat sub-par Bama (still winning in a down SEC aside) and a bad Chokelahoma team last season with no QB. Those are his only true signature wins. Of course if he comes back and plays well against the clones and sand aggy plus wins the CCG he should declare no matter what the CFB playoff committee decides. I'm simply saying it's not a given he should declare..especially if his injury drags on and ends his season. NFL GM's can be idiotic, but they will notice Quinn has 3 incomplete seasons in both HS and college, and he was being left out of the Heisman convo after the bloU loss.
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

All of this, plus we rarely bury teams when we aren't playing at home.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

Quinn played the majority of UH and MM only came in late to hand the ball off and make like 8 throws. BYU was an ez win and kstate was a meltdown from everyone not just maalik. I get it he wasn't good last week, but he wasn't the reason the game was close. He was also responsible for the good stuff he did not just the bad. 

TCU is dogshit. They are cockroaches. They will be stomped. 

That's the point.  We almost lost to that dogshit team even though we had largely good QB play.