Game Week 10: Texas at TCU

Wulaw Horn

There are 65 P5 teams. If you would take Chandler Morris over 33 starting QBs on those 65 teams because of a QBR buoyed by Nicholls fucking State and SMU, then have at it. I mean, if you come back and say you would, you're either lying to carry your specious position forward or you really don't have any idea what in the fuck you are talking about and just stare at the data all day while the games are being played.
The last defense with a pulse that Chandler Morris played held him to a QBR below 23. This will be the best defense he has played all year, should he play, but hey, maybe he's got some serious Donovan Smith in him and you can hang your hat on that happening again. 
I'm not a strict eyeball test guy and I am not a slave to statistics. You live and die by the latter and dismiss the former. That's fine, but you can spare me the "maybe you don't understand how the FPI is calculated" nonsense. I review all of the advanced statistics. I also know that there is a very high degree of bullshit coming out of them at this point in the season if they are still factoring in last year and preseason rankings. They're all mostly full of shit on how they incorporate SOS into the advanced ratings output, too. None of them incorporate injuries either, but, hey, live and die by them. Seven Win Steve does too!
TCU is still chasing Colorado. KSU made a mockery of them. They've feasted on Nicholls State, UH and BYU, defensively. They had an excellent game against SMU on that side of the ball and SMU is a darling opponent in the advanced stats machines, including FPI, but that's a laughable issue for anyone paying attention. Texas Tech is poo and TCU was hapless against them for stretches. 
I absolutely believe that TCU can beat Texas, but they are a bleh football team. A bunch of you advanced stats honks are offering up the not-so-fast on them today, I've seen it now in articles and on 3 sites. Due to limited overall data sets, advanced stats in college football are always going to have flaws and there are teams every year that are mysteries even to the designers of the machines. If TCU is rated as anything but an absolute mediocrity this season, they are one of those teams. 

Idk why people are so hung up on whether Morris plays. He is a JAG. I think the better way to frame the argument is that Texas has made plenty of passers of the general caliber of Chandler Morris (or TCU’s freshman for that matter) look like All Americans under PK, including a career high for Will Howard just last week despite KSU trying to avoid throwing the ball for much of the first half and giving their freshman QB some possessions.

Troll bait? MM is not a good QB. And that's being nice. Sorry if that hurts your feelings. 

I didn’t say he is. You know that, I know that, we all know that. Don’t be stupid.
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Idk why people are so hung up on whether Morris plays. He is a JAG. I think the better way to frame the argument is that Texas has made plenty of passers of the general caliber of Chandler Morris (or TCU’s freshman for that matter) look like All Americans under PK, including a career high for Will Howard just last week despite KSU trying to avoid throwing the ball for much of the first half and giving their freshman QB some possessions.

I didn’t say he is. You know that, I know that, we all know that. Don’t be stupid.

I think there are serious maturity issues with individuals on the team who are otherwise solid to excellent players, irrespective of their age/class. It seems like big leads become something of a problem for maintaining focus. That's maturity. I think Texas misses Catalon in this regard in the secondary. 

Beyond that, and I was watching the game from the South End Zone so I do not know if this is true or just how I felt while watching it unfold, but it looked like Kwiatkowski went soft in coverage after picking up the 27-7 lead. They marched it right down and scored in ways that they weren't able to move the ball earlier. 

After that drive, Murphy pulled his stupid fucking stunt and you could feel the ground moving on all players on each side of the ball. KSU's fans started a "KSU! KSU!" chant during the stoppage before the extra point attempt at 27-27. The stadium collectively boo'ed them down for it, the team missed the EP and Texas seemed to get some footing again. 

College football is a beautiful sport in part because of the mysteries it provides each week with the behaviors and momentum shifts of young men.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

That's an incredibly simplified take.  I'm not going to go back and look at injury situation in some of those '21 games but I'm pretty confident that if we were missing as many starters at key positions then as we are now we would never get leads to begin with because our depth was absolute shit back then.  Our depth is a ton better but still not on a level of Bama/GA obviously.

That team that beat Bama was a completely different team because we were healthy.  Biggest thing that can help this team right now is getting guys back and/or closer to 100% at QB, OL and in the secondary.

And while you are bitching about the "4th down BS" are you forgetting we scored a 50YD rushing TD with that "Fourth Down BS"?

He means giving away 3’s like they didn’t matter.  He might have regretted that at games end.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Do you actually watch the football games that are played each week for other teams? Or just read the stats and numbers and depth charts? TCU is objectively awful

A big reason some advanced stats view TCU as a better team than their 4-5 record is SMU. SMU is #22 in FPI and #19 in ESPN efficiency. 

This is viewed as a really quality win (for both OU and TCU) which is propping them up in certain advanced metrics. I don't understand it all either. SMU has lost by double digits to both P5 teams they've played, barely beat Rice, etc. 

SMU is nowhere close to being a top 25 team but they are viewed that way by certain advanced metrics. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

A big reason some advanced stats view TCU as a better team than their 4-5 record is SMU. SMU is #22 in FPI and #19 in ESPN efficiency. 

This is viewed as a really quality win (for both OU and TCU) which is propping them up in certain advanced metrics. I don't understand it all either. SMU has lost by double digits to both P5 teams they've played, barely beat Rice, etc. 

SMU is nowhere close to being a top 25 team but they are viewed that way by certain advanced metrics. 

Ha. Yeah, I talked about this in a later post. SMU is "really efficient" except they also suck and would be 4-5, 3-6 or 2-7 in a P5, just like Cincinnati, UCF, and UH. They've absolutely feasted on: Prairie View A&M (4-5 at HBCU level), La Tech (3-7), Charlotte (3-6), East Carolina (1-8), Temple (3-6), Tulsa (3-6), and then beat Rice (4-5) and played OU and TCU somewhat close.

They're being rewarded for somewhat close losses to a mediocre and a good P5 team and then acting like a bully against a schedule that would make Bill Snyder blush. They haven't beaten a team with a winning record. The only one left on their schedule is Memphis.

People want to worship at the altar of advanced statistics and then you see SMU being a driver of value. Okay then. They should be used and understood, but they shouldn't merit religious adherence. That's where things sit for baseball and I understand that due to sample sizes and total measurable events. That bridge will never be crossed when you're working with limited data points due to one game per team per week.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Beyond that, and I was watching the game from the South End Zone so I do not know if this is true or just how I felt while watching it unfold, but it looked like Kwiatkowski went soft in coverage after picking up the 27-7 lead. They marched it right down and scored in ways that they weren't able to move the ball earlier. 

Mostly the same coverages. KSU started passing more down the field while running less often, and mixing in more spread sets and tempo, and we obliged with lack of pressure, coverage busts, and covering grass 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He's had sciatica. If he can't scramble, at all, in a P5 football game as a QB, then don't fucking play him. Sorry for the back pain, but either get your shit together and take some meds and get out there, or just say you can't go.

Now it makes sense why he moves like an office bound, 40 something middle manager, he has the same afflictions as one.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fug said:

If Arch isn’t going to play, I’m open to watching some bizarre triple option instead. I don’t think my liver/mental health can handle another MM game.

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

The guy is naturally and more comfortable as a pocket passer.

Add to this that this is his first live action test in college.

AND the possibility of having a nagging injury.

It's likely all those factors that make him try and just do what comes naturally to him.

If he was 100% and seeing the field better, he'd maybe see the easy first downs running it.

With another week of film study, maybe he gets a couple 1st downs next week. Maybe not and it takes him flight time and a couple of years.

Who knows. 

But he is good enough to win the rest of the games / against the rest of our opponents. We haven't had a serviceable QB2 like that or a relatively easy November stretch in YEARS.

5 hours ago, hook me said:

Well, there you go. If all it takes is running zone to wreck our offense w/ MM then we're fucked unless Ewers really is available this week. I just don't see Sark pulling MM until it's too late.

18 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

If he starts, there’s a 70% chance Maalik goes full “deer in the headlights” Hudson Card mode… TCU’s defense is AWFUL, but they should have enough tape on MM to exploit his weaknesses.

We’ll lose straight up if it’s another 37 passing attempt game from MM… Sark needs to RUN THE BALL.

6 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

Yes

If he stays, he will get injured again, and then he really takes a $ hit. Did you watch NFL Red Zone yesterday? Did you see the number of walking jokes starting at QB in the NFL?

Dad would say "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas" or "If the dog hadn't stop to shit, he wouldn't been hungry last night".

The little word with big implications.  IF. 

The photojournalist has this say..

Dennis H IF.jpg

34 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Dad would say "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas" or "If the dog hadn't stop to shit, he wouldn't been hungry last night".

The little word with big implications.  IF. 

The photojournalist has this say..

Dennis H IF.jpg

Toking Mash Up GIF

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Let's review his 4th down playcalls during that game..

4th & 2 from the Ala 12 -> Pass to Sanders for 7 yards we wound up gaining 1 yard and had two incomplete passes to still kick the FG (needless risks early in the game)

4th & 1 from the Tex 48 -> The dumbest of all Ewers fumbled but was recovered by Brooks who got to the 50 (blind squirrel found an acorn)

4th & 2 from the Ala 48 -> Brooks for 1 yard turnover on downs (same drive as previous attempt ultimately Bama scored 5 plays later to take the lead)

I'm not saying never go for it on 4th down but he got lucky in the end it didn't jump up and bit us in the ass the way it did vs Mobilhoma.

If I remember correctly Ewers was under center for several 4th and short and 4th and goal inside the 2 yard line. I don't recall any except the Brooks squirrel/acorn play converting. They look like they have no chance from the get go from under center.

I'm not just talking about the Bama game.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

If we get a quick 3 score lead, keep going and don't let up. There's nothing wrong with running up the score against inferior opponents/programs and we have yet to learn that. 

With all the years the cockroaches have beaten us in Big 12 play(especially in 2012, 2019 and 2020 when they got lucky and shouldn't) we should stomp a mudhole in their ass one last time. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Go watch the OU game. SMU kept it close late into the 4th quarter by 3 points until the sooners got lucky and pulled away. The TCU game the Mustangs bricked hard in the second half. Rice is a lot better than people give them credit for. Also Preston Stone got hurt and SMU was playing with a backup. Stone doesn't get hurt and SMU wins by 10-17 points. Also, they have the talent to beat everyone on the remainder of their schedule. I don't see anyone else challenging them for a spot in the American CCG. Anyways, there's more on that story, but that's for another thread.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:13 PM, ousux said:
On 11/5/2023 at 6:32 PM, MuellerHorn said:
Texas is going to have to bring in a transfer QB this off-season. Ewers is going to leave. Logically, MM will portal once he gets beat out by Arch this spring. Sark cannot go into next season with Arch and Trey Owens. 

You really think Ewers declares with two incomplete seasons under his belt? You may be right, but seems like he'd be leaving money on the table doing it this season with Caleb Williams, Penix, Nix and other better QB's coming out. I mean when's the last time he finished a complete season, soph year of HS?

Ewers skipped his senior year of high school and still arrived late at Ohio State 2 weeks into their fall camp which gave him little chance to actually compete for the starting job. He absolutely profiles as a guy who would want to get to his first NFL check as soon as possible in order to start the clock running to his second and figure out playing time later

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

Ewers skipped his senior year of high school and still arrived late at Ohio State 2 weeks into their fall camp which gave him little chance to actually compete for the starting job. He absolutely profiles as a guy who would want to get to his first NFL check as soon as possible in order to start the clock running to his second and figure out playing time later

Who’s going to draft an often injured 180 lb QB who can’t throw a deep ball?

38 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Go watch the OU game. SMU kept it close late into the 4th quarter by 3 points until the sooners got lucky and pulled away. The TCU game the Mustangs bricked hard in the second half. Rice is a lot better than people give them credit for. Also Preston Stone got hurt and SMU was playing with a backup. Stone doesn't get hurt and SMU wins by 10-17 points. Also, they have the talent to beat everyone on the remainder of their schedule. I don't see anyone else challenging them for a spot in the American CCG. Anyways, there's more on that story, but that's for another thread.

Who Gives A Shit Quotes. QuotesGram

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If he was a RB, sure. In the NFL QB's and kickers can last more than a decade, far longer than the average college grad spends in their first real job. If he's truly about business decisions then NIL (and possibly getting in the Heisman convo) will make it more likely he plays another year at the college level.

so, the key numbers for me are 40 and 13....We have to run the ball at least 40 times, and MM has to throw the ball less than 13 times.  

If those two things happen, we win.  MM will throw at least 1 int, but if he is only throwing 13 times total, this could be a 7+ point game win. 

Any OC with a brain should write the number 400 somewhere in the locker room and keep repeating that number to the OL.  As in, boys our goal is to run for 400 yards Saturday.   We are going to die on the hill of running the football Saturday.  

This is so incredibly easy to figure out, so how the heck can Sark, mess this up? 

This is the kind of game that makes me think of Saint Darrell, "Three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad"

25 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Better questions is when was the last time QE was 180 pounds? Sophomore year in HS? He will be 205-210 come draft time if not more. Stop pushing a stupid narrative that is and will be completely irrelevant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

Perhaps the falcons, maybe Tampa bay, maybe Carolina, shit man you can keep going there’s about 8-10 starting jobs waiting for people to take over in the NFL. The 2004 draft class didn’t exactly get backfilled 

I said on the NFL week 9 thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see 10 QBs drafted in the first round. That's obviously hyperbole but the QB play from the noon games this weekend was jarring. So many teams need a QB and this is a deep class - and Quinn is going to grade out as one of the best.

19 minutes ago, JGrayDBU said:

so, the key numbers for me are 40 and 13....We have to run the ball at least 40 times, and MM has to throw the ball less than 13 times.  

If those two things happen, we win.  MM will throw at least 1 int, but if he is only throwing 13 times total, this could be a 7+ point game win. 

Any OC with a brain should write the number 400 somewhere in the locker room and keep repeating that number to the OL.  As in, boys our goal is to run for 400 yards Saturday.   We are going to die on the hill of running the football Saturday.  

This is so incredibly easy to figure out, so how the heck can Sark, mess this up? 

This is the kind of game that makes me think of Saint Darrell, "Three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad"

There is a 0% chance that we throw the ball less than 13 times in this game or any other game, no matter who the QB is.

• Hook 'Em 2

That’s all fine if we are not going 3-6 plays and out on offense too many times and or if we do the defense is keeping things in check and we are not chasing a deficit.

The thing to worry about with TCU is while the talent level has certainly dropped off while ours improved the scheme they ran last year held QE3 to 171 yards passing and Bijan and Roschon to 28 yards rushing. I’m sure they will be running that back.

That’s all fine if we are not going 3-6 plays and out on offense too many times and or if we do the defense is keeping things in check and we are not chasing a deficit.

The thing to worry about with TCU is while the talent level has certainly dropped off while ours improved the scheme they ran last year held QE3 to 171 yards passing and Bijan and Roschon to 28 yards rushing. I’m sure they will be running that back.

9 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

There is a 0% chance that we throw the ball less than 13 times in this game or any other game, no matter who the QB is.

BYU - 25 pass, 35 rush
KSU - 37 pass, 37 rush

It needs to be closer to 35-40 rush and 20-25 passes if we are going to win with MM. 

KSU 34th in rushing defense, TCU 70th

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

They lost DL Winters (14.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks) DL Horton (15 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 1 FF). Their defensive numbers are down across the board along the front 7.  KSU ran for 343 yards, ISU ran for 215, SMU 158, WV 201, Tech 146

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

The current NFL model is to have a great defense and make a Super Bowl run on your QB's rookie deal. There's only one Mahomes out there. Tons of teams would be interested in Ewers because they can put a line around him and work with his tools to do have some decent success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, immamac said:

Perhaps the falcons, maybe Tampa bay, maybe Carolina, shit man you can keep going there’s about 8-10 starting jobs waiting for people to take over in the NFL. The 2004 draft class didn’t exactly get backfilled 

100% - In addition to above,  Vikings, Giants, Patriots, Steelers, 49ers, Raiders, Seahawks, Commanders, Denver all would/should consider early round QBs.   Maybe Rams, Lions, Saints.  Browns, Arizona probably know they don't have the guy, but they FAFO about long term QB contracts.  I think Carolina is F'd and is going to be calling the Jets for advice on how to wander the NFL wasteland. 

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think there are serious maturity issues with individuals on the team who are otherwise solid to excellent players, irrespective of their age/class. It seems like big leads become something of a problem for maintaining focus. That's maturity. I think Texas misses Catalon in this regard in the secondary. 

After that drive, Murphy pulled his stupid fucking stunt and you could feel the ground moving on all players on each side of the ball. KSU's fans started a "KSU! KSU!" chant during the stoppage before the extra point attempt at 27-27. The stadium collectively boo'ed them down for it, the team missed the EP and Texas seemed to get some footing again. 

College football is a beautiful sport in part because of the mysteries it provides each week with the behaviors and momentum shifts of young men.

After we scored to make it 27 7 I feel like I spent the rest of the game screaming at our corners because coach PK was calling that 15 yard cushion on the edges.

I remember getting all excited during one play because we were lined up in press coverage. I thought "he's finally learned his lesson!", only to watch our corner sprint out just before the snap, giving a 15 yard cushion. The slot receiver ran right under that cushion and made it 10 yard gain for a first down.

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

I remember getting all excited during one play because we were lined up in press coverage. I thought "he's finally learned his lesson!", only to watch our corner sprint out just before the snap, giving a 15 yard cushion. The slot receiver ran right under that cushion and made it 10 yard gain for a first down.

So if the slot receiver ran free that sounds like an issue unrelated to the corners and the depth they are playing at.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_17_20AM.png.5eb95b28973d20514bf206c45658d94f.png

"natty"

Maybe this is the problem with Orangebloods and the idiots running and reporting for it. They should stop getting their behind the scenes injury updates from aggies. 

Also, is the a player in FBS football that doesn't put on their pads aspiring to win a national championship? That's the dumbest, most thoughtless update a reporter could provide. "This athlete really wants to win!" No shit, stumblefuck?

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

"natty"

Maybe this is the problem with Orangebloods and the idiots running and reporting for it. They should stop getting their behind the scenes injury updates from aggies. 

Also, is the a player in FBS football that doesn't put on their pads aspiring to win a national championship? That's the dumbest, most thoughtless update a reporter could provide. "This athlete really wants to win!" No shit, stumblefuck?

Chucklefuck is the preferred nomenclature.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

"natty"

That word instantly transforms me into a vessel of rage.

I mean it's 2023 people. Stop using the n-word.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

After we scored to make it 27 7 I feel like I spent the rest of the game screaming at our corners because coach PK was calling that 15 yard cushion on the edges.

To further expand on this, here are the first three snaps when K-State got the ball back down 3. I don't see anything "soft" about this, especially when you consider Howard was rarely throwing to the field side all game and did the majority of his damage in the screen game/throwing to slot receivers and TE's.

image.thumb.png.f20fa8ec3c6786b7b3e1f209ba8503de.png

image.thumb.png.0b964541a6806462b6a08976abe710dc.png

image.thumb.png.eca9e3200e55559cf4ffc46581c28afa.png

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

To further expand on this, here are the first three snaps when K-State got the ball back down 3. I don't see anything "soft" about this, especially when you consider Howard was rarely throwing to the field side all game and did the majority of his damage in the screen game/throwing to slot receivers and TE's.

image.thumb.png.f20fa8ec3c6786b7b3e1f209ba8503de.png

image.thumb.png.0b964541a6806462b6a08976abe710dc.png

image.thumb.png.eca9e3200e55559cf4ffc46581c28afa.png

You realize the guy was talking about the drive when it was 27-7, right? Why not show those? I have no idea what they'd reveal, but that would be helpful to confirming or debunking his point than showing screengrabs when the game had transformed.

27 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

So if the slot receiver ran free that sounds like an issue unrelated to the corners and the depth they are playing at.

Well, no. If we are in a zone D, and every single DB and LB is at least 10-15 yards off the LOS, that's an alignment problem.

I went back and found the play. It was 4th and 6 in the last minute of the game. (I might have been drinking, so my recount above isn't perfect.) The D is in Zone, all at least 15 deep and the receive runs a 15-yd curl right in front of them all... on 4th and 6!

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You realize the guy was talking about the drive when it was 27-7, right? Why not show those? I have no idea what they'd reveal, but that would be helpful to confirming or debunking his point than showing screengrabs when the game had transformed.

He said he spent the rest of the game screaming at the corners because of 15 yard cushions, so it sure seemed like it a generalized statement for the rest of the game and not just one drive. But here are the first 3 plays after we went up 27-7 along with the alignment on the TD with the bad missed tackles.

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_10AM.thumb.png.fdee2b52c764e00e5af886ec5d312f0b.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_48_40AM.thumb.png.d60dffb30e7460054633fbde1a3128ee.png

Screenshot2023-11-07at9_49_13AM.thumb.png.d4b808b9551df13da483bc090ba30ce1.pngScreenshot2023-11-07at9_51_07AM.thumb.png.7e521e66be6c48e59f3db5115b25519c.png

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No. Stop.

He's had sciatica. If he can't scramble, at all, in a P5 football game as a QB, then don't fucking play him. Sorry for the back pain, but either get your shit together and take some meds and get out there, or just say you can't go.

It's weird how well some guys can play the QB position when there is no threat of contact. The spring game tells us precisely dick about Maalik Murphy. People were saying to ignore that appearance since it occurred and have been largely ignored. 

The guy has rushed for -18 yards on one carry in two starts, I just looked it up. He's imagined pressure and thrown the ball both early and off of his back foot repeatedly in both games. He's playing like he's scared of contact and it is fucking things up. Either he needs to pull it together and be a grown ass man, or just say "thanks for the scholarship" and turn over his wings. 

This. Plus the kicker for me is his reaction to the interception where he gave up trying to make the tackle. Gave up. Can't remember if KS or BYU.