Texas vs UCONN- 6pm on ESPNU

shadow_operative

What are we doing. There is no reason to foul and call TOs.

What we did learn, even when we are fully healthy, we need to play with pace because our guards are really athletic but short. We maximize Mitchell's offensive potential when we play fast and in the open court.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

Ive seen enough to believe this team is gonna be just fine with a healthy roster. Rodney's got those boys playing hard, but sometimes the shots dont fall (seems like we never shoot well at MSG). If Mitchell plays at this level consistently and we're healthy, we'll be all right. 

Whats the latest on Disu? Is it a certainty he's playing by the time conference games start? 

• Hook 'Em 1

looked like it was going to be death by a thousand put back dunks for a while there, but we fought hard and played much better in the second half than we did in the first, particularly the first 10 minutes of the game. i’m not even mad about tonight. the effort and competitiveness makes up for the disappointment of losing. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

looked like it was going to be death by a thousand put back dunks for a while there, but we fought hard and played much better in the second half than we did in the first, particularly the first 10 minutes of the game. i’m not even mad about tonight. the effort and competitiveness makes up for the disappointment of losing. 

We played them even up from 12:29 in the first half.  That's not bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

People keep talking about missing two big men. College basketball is guard dependent, and we don't have good guards or good depth. I don't see how Disu or Shedrick overcome those problems unless we get multiple guards to make shots consistently. 

Just now, Sal said:

People keep talking about missing two big men. College basketball is guard dependent, and we don't have good guards or good depth. I don't see how Disu or Shedrick overcome those problems unless we get multiple guards to make shots consistently. 

We just watched Brock Cunningham guard a dude who is 7’2 for extended stretches. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

IMG_2330.thumb.jpeg.98457557374e1a1bf6faf689be0dfad7.jpeg

IMG_2331.thumb.jpeg.6cfa8b2ef01b2926008ce2300fb1ab4a.jpeg

11:21 1H- uconn leads 26-11

5:24 2H- uconn leads 71-67

we outscored them 56-45 over this period of the game, with no disu, no shedrick, and max abmas playing like a sleeper cell who was went from oklahoma to destroy us from within. we never gave up despite a horrific start, and we got ourselves back into the game with time to spare. that’s my takeaway from the night. the team has heart, and plenty of room to grow. a lot to build on from tonight. 🤘🏼 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sal said:

sure but it would have mattered on the defensive end and rebounding.

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_2330.thumb.jpeg.98457557374e1a1bf6faf689be0dfad7.jpeg

IMG_2331.thumb.jpeg.6cfa8b2ef01b2926008ce2300fb1ab4a.jpeg

11:21 1H- uconn leads 26-11

5:24 2H- uconn leads 71-67

we outscored them 56-45 over this period of the game, with no disu, no shedrick, and max abmas playing like a sleeper cell who was went from oklahoma to destroy us from within. we never gave up despite a horrific start, and we got ourselves back into the game with time to spare. that’s my takeaway from the night. the team has heart, and plenty of room to grow. a lot to build on from tonight. 🤘🏼 

and it was basically an away game.

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

Having an inside threat on the offensive end matters for shooters as they stretch the floor and you can’t just play deny defense across the three point line all game because you have a post who could score. And disu can hit elbow jumpers all game so it definitely matters for both ends of the floor.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sal said:

To me the biggest issue with the first half was our inability to keep them off the offensive glass. That's the reason we had such a hole to climb out of. Im thinking a healthy Disu and Shedrick evens the game out a bit during that stretch. Thats a good team we just played and for the last 30 minutes it was a scrap. I'm not disappointed by what I watched all things considered. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

To me the biggest issue with the first half was our inability to keep them off the offensive glass. That's the reason we had such a hole to climb out of. Im thinking a healthy Disu and Shedrick evens the game out a bit during that stretch. Thats a good team we just played and for the last 30 minutes it was a scrap. I'm not disappointed by what I watched all things considered. 

It was like he didn't watch Disu become our best player last year in the post-season. Bigs that can space the floor are gold in college basketball. Karaban is a college 4 and killed us tonight, he also didn't have to play much defense because Brock just isn't a tough guard offensively compared to Disu.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One stat that surprises me:

We outshot UCONN from the arc, 31.3% - 29.2%.

They got us 11 - 7 on offensive boards and 29 - 22 on defensive boards (40 - 29 total).

7 blocks to our 3.

Even on turnovers at 6.

16 of 18 to 10 of 13 on free throws.

I'm guessing the difference was FTs and 2nd chance points. Both of which could have evened out a little more with Shedrick and Disu. 

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm guessing the difference was FTs and 2nd chance points. Both of which could have evened out a little more with Shedrick and Disu. 

The 3's played into it, too.  Even though we "outshot" them from beyond the arc, they took 50% more shots than we did (7 of 24 versus 5 of 16).  That's a 6 point swing to go with the 6 point advantage at the line.

45 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Abmas has been terrible tonight. i try not to call out players like this, but god damn, his decision making has killed us. 

Definitely need more hoopin' and less chuckin' from Max going forward. Love the confidence. The selfishness, not so much.

But without Shedrick and Disu, this isn't a terrible loss (cue the aggy moral victory angle).

The schedule going forward is Wyoming, Texas St, #4 Marquette, Houston Christian, LSU, Corpus aggy, and UNC Greensboro. I know we all want to beat Marquette to give Shaka a punch in the face after he shit the bed here like a bitch then started winning again with Marquette, but we should be no worse than 10-2 or 9-3 coming out of 2023. Really should be 10-2 as should split Marquette and LSU at least. Disu should be back by mid December but probably not in time for Marquette. 

17 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Definitely need more hoopin' and less chuckin' from Max going forward. Love the confidence. The selfishness, not so much.

But without Shedrick and Disu, this isn't a terrible loss (cue the aggy moral victory angle).

Abmas needs to stop chucking but the big issue with him is he's a pick and roll player not a 1 v 1 player. 

I said this in the main Texas thread, but the way you unlock him is a guy like Disu that can kick and pop. When Texas tries to set up PnR with Onyema they just hedge on Hunter or Abmas because Onyema is no threat to score other than a dunk. 

I haven't seen if Shedrick can kick and pop yet. He can definitely score inside. What this team really needs for Hunter and Abmas is a guy like Disu. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2