Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Bugs me how Jamie can just waltz into winterfell and not work. Just chum up to the higher ups and drink wine and sit by fires.

Meanwhile the lifelongs are down in the pits making weapons.

jamie is far more important than anyone down in the pits.  

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Which is just dirty glass pretty much. It still shatters.

but it’s not normal glass.  it’s dragonglass.  it can do awesome shit and it’s super strong.  next question. 

22 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

You think Dany took Jon's news hard? Just wait'll NK tells her he's Targaryen too. "Bitch, you see me on that dragon? You see me walk through fire? You see all my lieutenants with hair the same color as yours?"

Except that the children of the forest made him to fight the first men, which was what, thousands of years before the targaryen invasion? The targaryens have only been in Westeros for a few hundred years. 

8 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

- Dany learns that she is not the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.  

Point of order.  Dany learns that Jon thinks he is the rightful heir.  That's different than her learning that she isn't.  She does not believe Jon's claim at this point, and thinks his best friend and brother are conspiring against her.  Whether she accepts the truth remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

3.  Sansa and Dany.  I get the conflict.  But the fucking dead are coming to rip Sansa and her fucking people to shreds in a few hours and their only chance to survive is because of Dany.  Yet she's picking fights with Dany as if she has any leverage at all.  She should be getting on her knees to tickle Dany's asshole with her tongue if that's what she asks.  They don't stand a chance without her yet she's now choosing to fight a battle that clearly won't matter if Dany decides to bounce with her dragons.

Go on...

18 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Point of order.  Dany learns that Jon thinks he is the rightful heir.  That's different than her learning that she isn't.  She does not believe Jon's claim at this point, and thinks his best friend and brother are conspiring against her.  Whether she accepts the truth remains to be seen.

This one is easy, he will survive a fire

1 minute ago, UncleCharlie said:

Jon already bent the knee.  He will not stand in Dany's way to the throne.  Seems like something he could have kept to himself until after the battle to see if it ever needed to come up.

I do think it will keep him from marrying her if they both make it out of Winterfell.

I don't think he went out of his way to bring it up.  It just came out while discussing Lyanna.  That said, I think telling Dany now was the right move.  If he had waited until after the battle, she would have an even harder time believing it.  I originally felt that it would have been better for everyone if Jon did not learn the truth until after the battle, but seeing how Dany has reacted to the news, it's better for her to know now. 

I just don't get how you could say that episode sucked if you have any kind of reverence for this show.  Sorry there were no battles, no twists, and no deaths in this episode. I mean who gives a fuck about these characters we've seen go on extended and complex journeys over 7+ seasons.  Why would I want to see them relate to each other?  Why would we want to relish in their humanity and history for a few minutes before many of them likely die or are pushed to the periphery as the final conflict is resolved?

And we did get a considerable amount of planning for the battle (dragon strategy notwithstanding): prepping weapons and battlements, noting where Bran (NK's target) is going to be, arming peasants who haven't fought before, etc.

As Jive posted, there are still over 5 hours of this season/show left.  And based on what we've gotten in eps 1 and 2, it's likely little or none of that time is going to be spent on people like Gendry, Brienne, Greyworm/Missandei, Theon, etc.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

sucks?  of all the people that are going to die you’re torn up about podrick?  and his makeup doesn’t look like anything anyway. 

His arc hasn't been completed yet.  Moreover, did we ever find out if Hot Pie opened up his own bakery?  So many loose threads to be attended to before we get to the epic battle.

I don't think there will be any struggle between Jon and Danny as far as power goes.  Jon ditched the King of the North title pretty quick and has stated multiple times to have zero ambition for that stuff.  They will set it up as one of them having to do something sacrificial to survive and Jon being Jon wants to sacrifice himself for Danny, but Danny refuses and sacrifices herself for Jon.  The writers are going to hit all the low hanging fruit.

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't think there will be any struggle between Jon and Danny as far as power goes.  Jon ditched the King of the North title pretty quick and has stated multiple times to have zero ambition for that stuff.  They will set it up as one of them having to do something sacrificial to survive and Jon being Jon wants to sacrifice himself for Danny, but Danny refuses and sacrifices herself for Jon.  The writers are going to hit all the low hanging fruit.

Eh, IDK>  He seemed to be pretty peeved, bothered, and he certainly wasn't cowering to her like before.

3 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Thinking somehow Bran kills ice dragon. 

That's a pretty good take.  Definitely could happen.

Re the setup show: You can't have Tormund or of them show up right before the battle, say hi and get their head lopped off right away. We wouldn't give a shit, because we haven't seen any of them in a year, so we have a setup show. We get to remember his character, the stuff we went thru with him etc, then you lop his fucking head off.

Actually, I think he goes pretty soon. He puts up a valiant battle against dozens of them, one drops on him, bites him and he goes down. As he's laying there telling Jon to take his head, he makes some joke about Giant Milk. That's called foreshadowing. We get a charge, then he dies and we're sad.

Looks like Arya is going to be the Legolas of GOT, shooting arrows one after another.

I don't see Jaime dying at all. He's one of the more interesting characters and wouldn't be surprised to see him in a sequel series. I think half will live. The women (Cercei maybe not), Tyrion, Jaime, the Hound somehow makes it. Maybe Jorah. Again, wouldn't be surprised to see Arya and Gendry ruling the roost. Gendry's gotta step up first.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

But most of that was based on Jon thinking he was a bastard.  He may think differently now knowing he is worthy of the crown.  I think hes conflicted more about going back on his oath, but he may believe that the oath wasn't given honestly since things have changed so dramatically.  

3 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

That's a pretty good take.  Definitely could happen.

Re the setup show: You can't have Tormund or of them show up right before the battle, say hi and get their head lopped off right away. We wouldn't give a shit, because we haven't seen any of them in a year, so we have a setup show. We get to remember his character, the stuff we went thru with him etc, then you lop his fucking head off.

Actually, I think he goes pretty soon. He puts up a valiant battle against dozens of them, one drops on him, bites him and he goes down. As he's laying there telling Jon to take his head, he makes some joke about Giant Milk. That's called foreshadowing. We get a charge, then he dies and we're sad.

Looks like Arya is going to be the Legolas of GOT, shooting arrows one after another.

I don't see Jaime dying at all. He's one of the more interesting characters and wouldn't be surprised to see him in a sequel series. I think half will live. The women (Cercei maybe not), Tyrion, Jaime, the Hound somehow makes it. Maybe Jorah. Again, wouldn't be surprised to see Arya and Gendry ruling the roost. Gendry's gotta step up first.

I think some want this to be like a footbal game.  Episode 1: Walkers kickoff (Ned's head) to the Winterfell Warriors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

But most of that was based on Jon thinking he was a bastard.  He may think differently now knowing he is worthy of the crown.  I think hes conflicted more about going back on his oath, but he may believe that the oath wasn't given honestly since things have changed so dramatically.  

I mainly basing it off that I think these writers are going to take some cheesy angles in the storyline.  I think this is ripe for one.  Maybe there is a struggle but in the end Danny will sacrifice herself for Jon.

Jon won't change his stripes. He's an anarchist, a loner. He doesn't want to be king.

NK going to Kings Landing makes a lot of sense. We can't have the good/bad dragons battle until much later. Cercei's army might escape. What about her fleet? When the horns sounded, Jon nodded to Dany to go hop on her dragon. She'll do a lot of damage in the first battle. Most humans will survive. Unsullied remain ball-less.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think a really key moment was when Sam told him the truth and said something like "you gave up your crown for your people. Would she?". Clearly that made Jon stop and think. I think the more time he spends with Daenarys, the more he sees her power-hungry side. In his mind, doing "the right thing" is always the right path. It's true that he never wanted to be king, but clearly the "right thing" for Dany to do in this situation would be to defer to his claim.

No book talk, no spoilers or anything, just my prediction for what's going to happen if people don't want to read speculation:

Spoiler

I bet our heroes miraculously defeat the WWs (with heavy losses of course). Dany loses her dragons in the battle (remember, she sees them as her children) and combined with Jon's superior claim out of nowhere, it drives her full mad queen. I bet she kills or tries to kill Sansa in a repeat of what her father did to Ned's father and brother. Cersei will be dealt with somehow (either redemption by Tyrion/Jaime, or assassinated by Arya), and the final episodes will deal with the aftermath of Dany's heel turn. Jon either ends up dead or defeated and exiled and thoroughly out of the picture. Final episode ends with Dany on the Iron Throne but with no friends/family/close advisors, the continent destroyed, all the great houses pretty much wiped out, the wall with a giant gaping hole in it, dragons once again extinct. She looks vindicated, pissed, but also kinda "now what?". Roll credits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Jon won't change his stripes. He's an anarchist, a loner. He doesn't want to be king.

NK going to Kings Landing makes a lot of sense. We can't have the good/bad dragons battle until much later. Cercei's army might escape. What about her fleet? When the horns sounded, Jon nodded to Dany to go hop on her dragon. She'll do a lot of damage in the first battle. Most humans will survive. Unsullied remain ball-less.

My best guess is North defeats the whitewalkers but loses 80% of their  men.  Cercei comes marchin in and tries to finish the North.  Geez, could Tyrion be a part of this?

While I'd be doing exactly what Cercei is doing in this situation which is letting the monsters fight the monsters.  Her coming in to mop up what's left of the North (assuming they win) seems like a lame story.  That's why I'm subscribing to the NK heading to kings landing first.  Cersei's army has to at least be crippled before a showdown with the North.

20 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think a really key moment was when Sam told him the truth and said something like "you gave up your crown for your people. Would she?". Clearly that made Jon stop and think. I think the more time he spends with Daenarys, the more he sees her power-hungry side. In his mind, doing "the right thing" is always the right path. It's true that he never wanted to be king, but clearly the "right thing" for Dany to do in this situation would be to defer to his claim.

No book talk, no spoilers or anything, just my prediction for what's going to happen if people don't want to read speculation:

Hide contents

I bet our heroes miraculously defeat the WWs (with heavy losses of course). Dany loses her dragons in the battle (remember, she sees them as her children) and combined with Jon's superior claim out of nowhere, it drives her full mad queen. I bet she kills or tries to kill Sansa in a repeat of what her father did to Ned's father and brother. Cersei will be dealt with somehow (either redemption by Tyrion/Jaime, or assassinated by Arya), and the final episodes will deal with the aftermath of Dany's heel turn. Jon either ends up dead or defeated and exiled and thoroughly out of the picture. Final episode ends with Dany on the Iron Throne but with no friends/family/close advisors, the continent destroyed, all the great houses pretty much wiped out, the wall with a giant gaping hole in it, dragons once again extinct. She looks vindicated, pissed, but also kinda "now what?". Roll credits.

Pretty good scenario. In it, though, Jon would win, but likely abdicate. Wouldn't bother me to see Dany die (and since rumor has he wanting out of the series, it makes a lot of sense.)

There's gotta be offshoots. This is a billion dollar enterprise. A lot of jobs at stake.

Dragon strategy was briefly discussed in the war room. Full text:

Jon: (to Bran) We’ll put you in a crypt where it’s safest.

Bran: No. We need to lure him into the open before his army destroys us all. I’ll wait for him in the Godswood.

Sansa: You want us to use you as bait? We’re not leaving you alone out there.

Theon: He won’t be. I’ll stay with him. With the Ironborn. I took this castle from you. Let me defend you now.

Davos: We’ll hold off the rest of them for as long as we can.

Tyrion: When the time comes, Ser Davos and I will be on the walls, to give you the signal to light the trench.

Dany: Ser Davos is perfectly capable of waving a torch on his own. You’ll be in the crypt.

Tyrion: Your grace, I have fought before. I can do it again. Alongside the men and women risking their lives.

Dany: There are thousands of them and only one of you. You can’t as well as they can, but you can think better than any of them. You’re here because of your mind. If we survive, I’ll need it.

Davos: The dragons should give us an edge in the field.

Jon: If they’re in the field, they’re not protecting Bran. We need to be near him. Not too near, or the Night King won’t come. But close enough to pursue him when he does.

Dany: Dragonfire will stop him?

Bran: I don’t know. No one’s ever tried.

During the last scene when Jon and Dany emerge on the wall after the horns interrupted Jon spilling the beans about R+L=J, he gives a look and she returns it with a knowing nod. Then, they go run off together (presumably to their dragons). In the previews for next week, it shows the two of them high up on a hill and Dany screaming the dead are already here. I would guess their dragons are perched up there "not too near" Bran.

Granted, it's not a lot to go on but does it provide enough information about their plan? Yes.

37 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I disagree.  He has that duty/tradition bent.  If he is supposed to be king, then he needs to fight for it because that is his duty.  He doesn't WANT to be king, but he has to be.  He's a passive-negative if there ever was one.  

I’ve always been Team Gendry going way back to the old board.  I do find it interesting that they mentioned he was Robert Baratheon’s son last night.  If the Arya/Gendry sex scene was just for Arya to experience sex before she might die and to close out the sexual tension that always existed between them, then there was really no need for the show to remind everybody that Gendry was Robert’s son.  But they did bring it up.  I don’t think they brought it up just for the hell of it.

2 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Why hasn’t Dany sent the dragons on a couple of strafing runs? Maybe drop some dragonglass cluster bombs? Nah, let’s all sit around the fireplace.

JFC this.  I was up ranting and raving last night about using these two dragons to dog the advancing army like fighters attacking a carrier battle fleet.    

And they burn, correct?  Oil.  Peat.  Trenches.  More oil.  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

JFC this.  I was up ranting and raving last night about using these two dragons to dog the advancing army like fighters attacking a carrier battle fleet.    

Do you not remember how she ended up with 2 dragons instead of 3?  The NK hurled the ice spear a fucking mile to kill it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I’ve always been Team Gendry going way back to the old board.  I do find it interesting that they mentioned he was Robert Baratheon’s son last night.  If the Arya/Gendry sex scene was just for Arya to experience sex before she might die and to close out the sexual tension that always existed between them, then there was really no need for the show to remind everybody that Gendry was Robert’s son.  But they did bring it up.  I don’t think they brought it up just for the hell of it.

He brought it up because that's why the red woman took him (the last time gendry and arya saw each other before winterfell). Didn't seem shoehorned to me. 

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You did see that final image of dozens of White Walkers on horseback - each holding a javelin, correct?

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread