Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

While there were some thrilling sequences, how it got resolved wasnt all that interesting. Arya going all Ninja was, just OK. What the fuck was Bran doing? Like Derka said, the NK going all slow was typical.

the night king is a hundred and seventy-two years old! he probably has bad knees.

during the episode I thought the scene of arya being stuck and sneaking around the horde of zombies in the library was pretty useless.  now I wonder if she somehow picked up on something there that allowed her to get past the white walkers undetected in the godswood.

It wasn't a dragon glass blade, so it had to be valaryian steel.

Yup same blade from murder attempt on younger Bran back in the day. It passed along too many...Baelish took it from Ned. Then gave it to Bran later...then Bran gave it to Arya recently. Sam had come across it too in his readings.

f78de0303475369ad6be51b80dcb9b34.jpg

b66c52ad9b4b90cd8586735801c543f6.jpg

81ba35b569a8e96bff548f90ba561b1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, housious said:

I enjoyed today’s episode. But it feels like the entire zombie storyline could have been cut from the entire series at this point. It added close to nothing from a storyline standpoint, but it did make for some cool battle scenes.

The fuck? You gotta explain what you mean... cut out the entire white walkers?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hornimal said:

the night king is a hundred and seventy-two years old! he probably has bad knees.

during the episode I thought the scene of arya being stuck and sneaking around the horde of zombies in the library was pretty useless.  now I wonder if she somehow picked up on something there that allowed her to get past the white walkers undetected in the godswood.

i took that scene as her being scared shitless and... not quite panicked but on her heels.  She makes it through with the help of the hound and lazarus and then the red lady tells her what she needs to hear to understand that a) she is a fucking killer b) this is her purpose and c) she is able to do this.  Confidence restored, back to being the Arya that fed Walder Frey his children.

I mean obviously that's a synopsis, but I think the point of the scene was to give some emotional whatever to her character.  She's an assassin, she's not a robot and is not without fear.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 4

Amazing episode. Arya has long been my favorite character and glad it was her and not Snow who killed the NK. Awesome sequence. She’s pure fucking bad ass

one question I had was regarding the dragon glass. Throughout all their other battles with the WW they’ve been killed with conventional weapons and of course re-animated by the NK. I thought dragon glass was supposed to kill these fuckers forever and not allow them to be re-animated.  Could’ve used all that time building a 1/2 mile wide trench and filling it with oil to ignite instead of making those weapons if they had the same result 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

Amazing episode. Arya has long been my favorite character and glad it was her and not Snow who killed the NK. Awesome sequence. She’s pure fucking bad ass

one question I had was regarding the dragon glass. Throughout all their other battles with the WW they’ve been killed with conventional weapons and of course re-animated by the NK. I thought dragon glass was supposed to kill these fuckers forever and not allow them to be re-animated.  Could’ve used all that time building a 1/2 mile wide trench and filling it with oil to ignite instead of making those weapons if they had the same result 

Vaild point I think on the dragonglass.  However, I don't believe everyone was armed with dragonglass.  And most of the re-animated were "good guys," who wouldn't have been killed with dragonglass anyway.

On the dragons, Dany's has a reddish tint to it's spines and webs and "Jon's" has a green-blue, for future reference. Haha.

25 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, to those who didn't like it: what were you hoping for that you didn't get?  I'm not trying to be an asshole; I'm honestly curious.

There were several key deaths.  Jorah went out like we knew he would.  Theon got to redeem himself in a blaze of glory.  Lady Mormont died heroically.  We got the dragon aerial battle.  Arya got the ninja kill on the Night King.  The two hottest women on the show, Sansa and Dany are still alive.  The cinemtography, music, and tension were great.  

What did we miss out on?  What would've made you happier?

I know I'm in the minority here, but my dislike of the last part of the episode is simply because the Night King was taken out and its impact on the series. I really wanted to see the Night King "erase this world" and burn that shit right to the ground. That's it.

I love chaos and destruction. This series is great at disregarding traditional happy endings in favor of emotional arcs with some very dire outcomes and I love it. Ned Stark, Red Wedding, Mountain vs. Viper, the list goes on. Night King was my dude, and he died in a weak ass way, so I'm salty. 😃

7 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but my dislike of the last part of the episode is simply because the Night King was taken out and its impact on the series. I really wanted to see the Night King "erase this world" and burn that shit right to the ground. That's it.

I love chaos and destruction. This series is great at disregarding traditional happy endings in favor of emotional arcs with some very dire outcomes and I love it. Ned Stark, Red Wedding, Mountain vs. Viper, the list goes on. Night King was my dude, and he died in a weak ass way, so I'm salty. 😃

To be fair you, might still get your chaos and destruction just not with the knight king...

Lets take a moment to tip our hats to the Unsullied for guarding the retreat back into the Winterfell gates, they were the real ones. 

Also, did not fucking see that shit with Lyanna Mormont coming, she went out like a G though. House Mormont turned out to be the strongest riders for House Stark. RIP to the bears, Lyanna and Jorah.

I loved Theon's redemption, it came full circle. What is dead may never die...

1 minute ago, Slade said:

Lets take a moment to tip our hats to the Unsullied for guarding the retreat back into the Winterfell gates, they were the real ones. 

Also, did not fucking see that shit with Lyanna Mormont coming, she went out like a G though. House Mormont turned out to be the strongest riders for House Stark. RIP to the bears, Lyanna and Jorah.

I loved Theon's redemption, it came full circle. What is dead may never die...

All of this. The mormonts deserve a better ending than “good deaths”. As a fan, the house Mormont is up there parallel if not higher than house stark  due solely to the action of a couple characters. Big mistake by the producers to not give us a champion for them 

46 minutes ago, achooloco said:

The fuck? You gotta explain what you mean... cut out the entire white walkers?

What was the point? No questions answered. No real direction, other than putting the right people together at the right time for what comes next.

I’m not looking to come up with major complaints about the episode. I love the series, but it seems like they are just trying to end a storyline that they didn’t have enough time to tell. 

Loved the episode overall and it exceeded my expectations. The entire episode had my heart racing like watching the 4th quarter in a close Horns game. Probably the most tense episode of TV I’ve ever watched.

What I liked:
-Arya fighting on the roof and later getting the final kill. She’s been my favorite character since she said “A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell and I’m going home.” So glad it wasn’t John killing the Night King.
-Jorah defending Dany to the end. If he was going to die, this was his perfect end.
-Lyanna Mormont killing the giant like a boss. One of the most fearless people in the show.
-Melisandre lighting the Dothraki swords on fire only to see them extinguished in the dark.
-Pretty much all of Melisandre’s scenes for that matter - lighting the trenches on fire, telling Davis she would die before dawn, giving Arya a critical pep talk, and walking off to her own death.
-Theon protecting Bran. I’m anti-Theon but he definitely completed his redemption story in my book.
-Dragon vs. dragon fighting was pretty cool.
-The music, or in some cases the silence, was great.

What I didn’t like:
-No shocking deaths. Jorah, Lyanna, Theon, Berick, and Eddison. They all seemed predictable and expendable. Didn’t really feel like GoT to have all top characters survive the battle of all battles, especially given that many of them seemed completely overwhelmed in combat.
-Dany was sort of meh. She burned some stuff with Drogon but spent far more time being lost and out of place.
-Bran still seems worthless. He was bait and that’s it. If the Night King had killed him, so what? Seems like the world would go on just fine without his smug 3ER nonsense.
-I wish Tyrion would’ve had a stronger role. Kept thinking his wits would provide a crucial turning point but he did nothing. I guess he’ll finally get his moment against Cersei?
-The dead coming alive in the crypt was kinda stupid given the fact that a wight couldn’t punch through a wooden crate in season 7. The episode would’ve been just fine if that hadn’t occurred.
-What dumbass decided that Ghost should charge into the night? Hoping Ghost survived somehow but that was a poor use of a direwolf and continues the trend of underutilizing then throughout the series.
-No one ever fought one of the WW generals or whatever they’re called. Would’ve liked to see Brienne or Jaime go head to head with one.
-Tormund was MIA most of the episode unless I just missed it.

Maybe that seems like a lot of gripes but overall the high points far outweigh the shortcomings and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hope the final 3 episodes can come close to this.

• Like 5

On 4/22/2019 at 9:21 AM, closetojumping said:

What kind of "material advancement" did you goobers imagine was going to take place ahead of the Battle of Winterfell? The entire story has "materially advanced" right up to this fucking point.

They were rounding out multiple character arcs in the first two episodes. Half of the show's main characters will be dead after E3, and then what is left will face south. There's nothing left to advance. 1) Have characters say goodbye, basically; 2) Battle of Winterfell; 3) Plan trek south/Show Cersei plotting and Mountain stepping menacingly; 4) Battle of King's Landing; 5) Someone new sits on the Iron Throne, conflicted and not altogether perfect; 6) Show White Walker rising somewhere far off in the snow; 7) Fade to black. That's it. The only twists left are who fucking survives and how some of them die. Dany isn't "turning heel". The WWs aren't going to win. Bran isn't the fucking Night King. 

With years of pretty fucking amazing posts on these boards, I think this one could be the finest one I’ve ever put out there. The fucking hawt take madness on this thread over the last 8 days has been legitimately breathtaking. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

With years of pretty fucking amazing posts on these boards, I think this one could be the finest one I’ve ever put out there. The fucking hawt take madness on this thread over the last 8 days has been legitimately breathtaking. 

Which main characters died?

Edited by housious

I love chaos and destruction. This series is great at disregarding traditional happy endings in favor of emotional arcs with some very dire outcomes and I love it. Ned Stark, Red Wedding, Mountain vs. Viper, the list goes on. Night King was my dude, and he died in a weak ass way, so I'm salty.
Username checks out.

4 minutes ago, housious said:

Which main characters died?

Plenty. Like 7-8 characters with multiple season arcs are gone. Sorry Dany or Jon didn’t go down, but that gives you and others time to fantasize about her heel turn or him becoming the next Night King or whatever stupid shit you want to posit now. Nitpicking what I posted in the midst of this ridiculous wave of absurd theories is about what I’d expect, I guess. 

• Like 1

I figured Sam or davos would survive as the lucky coward, but not both. Neither did anything either. 

Sure seemed like Jaime, brienne, and Jon should all be dead based on a couple of shots. 

Anyone watch the behind the scenes?  They explained the dragon strategy there a little. 

Still unsure about Dani being fireproof but her brother not, in regards to whether Jon should be worried about dragon fire. 

speaking of dragon fire, even the NKs clothes/armor was unaffected by it. Why didn’t he walk out of the flames looking like Powder?

very abrupt ending to the WW story line after nothing but buildup for 7 seasons .

doric lived his best lives, and once he saved Arya, Melisandre pretty much told us all she was the one.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Did you just quote yourself for posterity?

Some of the criticisms are valid, but all in all hell of an episode. I’ve been suspecting Arya for some time now.

As someone said before, I still don’t get the whole point of the night king and his mission. And Bran. I don’t get Bran at all.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread