2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

8 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Bobby is going to be so impressed with the new Surly migrants once we start posting on his new site

Surly:
giphy.gif 

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

The idea isn't for everyone to post there all the time, that site has a specific purpose and it's for clarification not talking shit that's what this site is for. it's why there is a seamless integration between the 2 that will improve over time.

Immamac:
200w.gif?cid=6c09b952fespx77qq19fgm8mgkb

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Are you trying to make a point predicated on an impossible knowledge of who might be available for Texas?  If Rod is the hire are you taking it on faith that anyone with a better resume might have been unrealistic?  Was that your position when Sarkisian wanted to hire Mike Stoops? (presumably)

Look, I'm not going to pretend I know who is a good coach and why, beyond what I see on paper--that's not my profession and after hiring a bunch of folks in the past few years I don't feel entirely confident on why one worked and another didn't.

That said, I would look for traits--apprenticing under good coaches, particularly at high profile, peer level programs even in a junior capacity.  Maybe doing time at Sam and UTSA is a great training ground but it's also redolent of the Gideon hire and I'm skeptical on that one, too. 

Dude, Gideon's resume before Texas isn't even in the same ballpark as Rod's.  Gideon spent most of his coaching career on special teams...he only had 4 years' experience working with DBs.

Plus look at the player development.  Gideon's chief accomplishment was having a punter up for the Ray Guy Award at Houston.

Rod coached LB Clarence Hicks who ended up with a UTSA record 10.5 sacks and now plays in the NFL.  At East Carolina he coached DE Nate Harvey to AAC Defensive Player of the Year and first-team All-Conference, at Sam Houston one of his D-linemen (PJ Hall) was finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award...the FCS Defensive Player of the Year...3 years in a row. 

That's not including his time coaching in the NFL.  

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

The idea isn't for everyone to post there all the time, that site has a specific purpose and it's for clarification not talking shit that's what this site is for. it's why there is a seamless integration between the 2 that will improve over time.

Just let me know when and I'll blast the scat pics 

2 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Dude, Gideon's resume before Texas isn't even in the same ballpark as Rod's.  Gideon spent most of his coaching career on special teams...he only had 4 years' experience working with DBs.

Plus look at the player development.  Gideon's chief accomplishment was having a punter up for the Ray Guy Award at Houston.

Rod coached LB Clarence Hicks who ended up with a UTSA record 10.5 sacks and now plays in the NFL.  At East Carolina he coached DE Nate Harvey to AAC Defensive Player of the Year and first-team All-Conference, at Sam Houston one of his D-linemen (PJ Hall) was finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award...the FCS Defensive Player of the Year...3 years in a row. 

That's not including his time coaching in the NFL.  

I agree, fire Gideon.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's not really impossible to know who might not be aviable for Texas. For example, any renown DT coach at the pro or collegiate level who is employed at a higher position, like DC, probably not a likely high, for starters. But hell, I just asked for the first part, which you can't/didn't/won't provide, which is a list of comparable names to Bo Davis with similar success and resume. Who are these coaches that apparently littered throughout college football?

But I think your second paragraph spelled it out; you don't really have a clue, but you feel confident enough in your cluelessness to shit on Rod Wright as a hire, never mind that as other folks have pointed out his resume is actually pretty good for his age. His units have shown improvement at every stop. And he even spent time at UTSA, where Bo Davis ALSO spent time AFTER LSU and Bama, so lets not pretend even great position coaches don't sometimes take sideways steps for various reasons. Although that's not a problem for Wright, he's consistently moved up the chain. 

Gideon sucks. Lets be clear there. Rod Wright has substantially more, and better, experience on his resume when compared to Gideon. 

Look man, I don't want to start mincing words but you're kind of forcing it as a rebuttal--expressing skepticism is not "shit(ting) on Rod Wright as a hire". 

Did I write something like "comparable coaches to Bo Davis are littered throughout college football" and now I need to support that?  If you want to take on disproving that as a research project, be my guest.  Your whole post is just a straw man argument. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Grad assistant and high school assistant is good, NFL assistant isn't good. Got it. 

This is one of the dumbest posts in this forum in the last week and that's saying A LOT.

I do love that he threw in "primarily" to his last point, which allows him to brush aside Wright's recent work under the best young defensive coach in the game.

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Look man, I don't want to start mincing words but you're kind of forcing it as a rebuttal--expressing skepticism is not "shit(ting) on Rod Wright as a hire". 

Did I write something like "comparable coaches to Bo Davis are littered throughout college football" and now I need to support that?  If you want to take on disproving that as a research project, be my guest.  Your whole post is just a straw man argument. 

This whole post is bullshit. You can hem and haw about word selection, but to be calling a hire uninspiring and calling their resume inadequate is, in my mind, shitting on a coaching hire. Which is exactly what you did. Which is fine everyone has opinions. 

You said one canddiate didn't have an acceptable enough resume to be a good hire. I asked you to provide a list of candidtes that would meet your expectations as an elite hire. And instead of even attempting to answer directly, you've danced around the request. You were the one who gave nebulous answers about a resume not being good enough, or a hire not being top tier, that means the onus is on you to give a few examples that would meet your criteria. And we're all curious, becuase as several people have pointed out, Wright's resume at this point in his career is more impressive than Davis's was, so I mean, you tell us, who is an elite hire?

As you said in your second paragraph of an ealier post, you don't know anything about hiring coaches, you aren't offering up any examples of who you would think of is a good hire, and it's very obvious that you don't want to do any kind of research to support what at the end of the day looks like an uninformed (per your own account) kneejerk reaction. Which, ok, fine, I'm also lazy AF so I get not wanting to actually support your claims with anything substantive. But you're going to get justifiable criticism from posters who don't share your opinion, and you're acting put upon for having to deal with it. It's a message board, defending and discussing your positions is sort of the point. 

The fact of the matter is that Bo Davis is quite possibly the best DT coach in college football. If he's not, he's in the top 5. Those guys aren't easy to replace, and chances are unless you get real lucky with timing, you're banking on someone else with less skins on the wall and making a good hire based on projection, which is probably what's going to happen here. Wright looks like he'd be a decent gamble. Within a couple seconds of this initial exhange, Fud offered up Ed Orgeron as a possible hire. That would probably be an elite replacement. After that, it's guys who are entrenched at other elite powers, or older than you might want to recruit, etc. 

4 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

"Rod Wright isn't good enough to coach at Texas!

Oh, ok, who is then?

"I DONT KNOW, BUT YOU DONT EITHER!"

I swear to God immamac should just lock this thread for 12 hours so people can get their thoughts together.

Why the fuck do you think 12 hours would change anything? 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

This whole post is bullshit. You can hem and haw about word selection, but to be calling a hire uninspiring and calling their resume inadequate is, in my mind, shitting on a coaching hire. Which is exactly what you did. Which is fine everyone has opinions. 

You said one canddiate didn't have an acceptable enough resume to be a good hire. I asked you to provide a list of candidtes that would meet your expectations as an elite hire. And instead of even attempting to answer directly, you've danced around the request. You were the one who gave nebulous answers about a resume not being good enough, or a hire not being top tier, that means the onus is on you to give a few examples that would meet your criteria. And we're all curious, becuase as several people have pointed out, Wright's resume at this point in his career is more impressive than Davis's was, so I mean, you tell us, who is an elite hire?

As you said in your second paragraph of an ealier post, you don't know anything about hiring coaches, you aren't offering up any examples of who you would think of is a good hire, and it's very obvious that you don't want to do any kind of research to support what at the end of the day looks like an uninformed (per your own account) kneejerk reaction. Which, ok, fine, I'm also lazy AF so I get not wanting to actually support your claims with anything substantive. But you're going to get justifiable criticism from posters who don't share your opinion, and you're acting put upon for having to deal with it. It's a message board, defending and discussing your positions is sort of the point. 

The fact of the matter is that Bo Davis is quite possibly the best DT coach in college football. If he's not, he's in the top 5. Those guys aren't easy to replace, and chances are unless you get real lucky with timing, you're banking on someone else with less skins on the wall and making a good hire based on projection, which is probably what's going to happen here. Wright looks like he'd be a decent gamble. Within a couple seconds of this initial exhange, Fud offered up Ed Orgeron as a possible hire. That would probably be an elite replacement. After that, it's guys who are entrenched at other elite powers, or older than you might want to recruit, etc. 

NFL DL coaches are better than Bo. That’s where we are going. It is easy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

NFL DL coaches are better than Bo. That’s where we are going. It is easy. 

I do not believe that to be an absolute given. There are plenty of NFL DT's who get fired every year, and by the way Bo Davis has been an NFL DT coach. 

In regards to your comment in relation to the conversation taking place, LCHorn certainly wouldn't agree, becuase he doesn't think Rod Wright, NFL DT coach, is a good hire. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Without any insider knowledge, let's go through what Rod Wright and the Texans did this year. 

Firstly, Rod left Miami willingly to take the Houston Texans job as assistant DL coach. The "head' DL coach in Houston, Jacques Cesaire, was a holdover from Lovie Smith's staff in 2022. Don't think it's a stretch to say Demeco personally wanted Rod Wright added to his staff. 

The Texans gave up 3.5 YPC on defense this year, 2nd in the NFL. The previous year (2022) they gave up 5 yards per carry, which was 29th in the NFL. 

The Texans had a franchise record of 46 sacks this season. 

Will Anderson, who was seen on the sidelines in constant communication with Rod Wright, might win Defensive Rookie of the Year. 

By far the biggest improvement for Houston defensively was on the DL. 

• Hook 'Em 9

I guess it's how far things have come that we are complaining about hiring NFL coaches (also alum) to be our D line coach.  I am pessimistic in my core and understand Satya posts, but even I think we're in a good spot...

Edited by Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I swear to God immamac should just lock this thread for 12 hours so people can get their thoughts together.

15 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Oh, yeah ... 12 hours will be certain to do it! 

If you don't, or can't, get your thoughts together before your alligator mouth overloads your hummingbird ass, that's something you'll take to the grave. 12 hours may do it, but some will live longer than that.

Linear, logical thought processes and common sense are not as common as you think.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In any event, put me down as someone who won't be excited by Rod Wright as the hire for Texas.

Well, prepare your anus.  Apparently only full blown excitement is acceptable today. 

@SydneyCartonIf I have time today I’ll try to do a little research and at least suggest one name who I like more based on their resume and who isn’t obviously not a candidate, just since you issued the challenge.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Well, prepare your anus.  Apparently only full blown excitement is acceptable today. 

@SydneyCartonIf I have time today I’ll try to do a little research and at least suggest one name who I like more based on their resume and who isn’t obviously not a candidate, just since you issued the challenge.  

Maybe Sark is having the same issues as LCHorn. He is simply too busy to research better candidates than Wright.

48 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

"Rod Wright isn't good enough to coach at Texas!

Oh, ok, who is then?

"I DONT KNOW, BUT YOU DONT EITHER!"

For me, I would probably be looking for a guy who can point to players they coached and developed into the NFL as opposed to a guy who coached them after they had already been developed enough to make the league. 
I see a lot of recruits talk about wanting development towards the NFL. 
Not saying Wright won’t be successful but there was no question that Davis was very good with development and had the resume to back it up.  
Now, who that would be, I have no idea.  As such, Wright I guess is as good as anyone. 

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Someone's going to do it so it might as well be me... I suggest your mom. She's a sack master. She's good one-on-one, but isn't afraid to take on a double team. She knows how to use her hands, is good with twists and stunts. Has a quick get off and knows how to finish...

• Haha 8
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

LSU as a grad assistant and then assistant coach at North Shore-I mean, if we trying to Moneyball this shit we’d have to agree that’s really good clay as a starting point.  Moreover he wasn’t hired to coach the DL, he was hired by Saban to be an assistant strength and conditioning coach (which was probably a way to skirt the rules on assistant count as I’m sure he was assisting with the position).  

Plus that gave him three years under Saban, learning from the best program builder of all time before he was fully responsible for a position group.  

Rod, by contrast, has a resume of being just an ordinary Joe working for primarily offensive minded head coaches.  

So Rod’s resume shits all over that. Thanks for saving me the research. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was Wright the one who got the nickname "chips" while he was in school? IIRC it was something derogatory about him cashing all of his chips and not giving it everything in the weight room. Not that it matters and not that I'm against the potential hire, but am I remembering that correctly?

Also, as good of a coach as Bo Davis is and god bless that man for his portal rant, his recruiting hasn't been exactly awe inspiring. You can argue that DT is the thinnest spot on the roster. There's no denying the impact he had on Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, and Murphy, but even in his first run through here he wasn't exactly pulling in 5 star monsters on the regular. Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon and Alex Norman aren't walking through that door, thankfully.

All the DT contributors since Davis has been here - Murphy, Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton - were brought in by the prior coaching staff. Davis pulled in Kris Ross (got in the mothafucka), Bledsoe (has flashed potential), Bryant (little production yet), Mitchell (nada yet/FR), Trill (portal in and out), and then two 3- stars in January (legacy) and Hills for this cycle. I get that his recruits have been blocked for playing time by upperclassmen, but this isn't exactly awe inspiring DT recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Was Wright the one who got the nickname "chips" while he was in school? IIRC it was something derogatory about him cashing all of his chips and not giving it everything in the weight room. Not that it matters and not that I'm against the potential hire, but am I remembering that correctly?

Also, as good of a coach as Bo Davis is and god bless that man for his portal rant, his recruiting hasn't been exactly awe inspiring. You can argue that DT is the thinnest spot on the roster. There's no denying the impact he had on Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, and Murphy, but even in his first run through here he wasn't exactly pulling in 5 star monsters on the regular. Paul Boyette, Jake McMillon and Alex Norman aren't walking through that door, thankfully.

All the DT contributors since Davis has been here - Murphy, Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton - were brought in by the prior coaching staff. Davis pulled in Kris Ross (got in the mothafucka), Bledsoe (has flashed potential), Bryant (little production yet), Mitchell (nada yet/FR), Trill (portal in and out), and then two 3- stars in January (legacy) and Hills for this cycle. I get that his recruits have been blocked for playing time by upperclassmen, but this isn't exactly awe inspiring DT recruiting. 

In the short term it will hurt a bit because he is just going to walk around everywhere pointing to Murphy and Sweat and say "I had two all americans in the same year". That will resonate for a while until he doesn't do shit for a few years. Otherwise, I think we will be fine. 

Just now, Hornmatic said:

You sound like me when I invite my homeboys to a gathering of mostly work friends and soon regret the worlds colliding. Everything will be fine as long as we don’t offer the boss some key bumps. 

This is exactly correct. 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Rod was playing his senior year with a torn rotator cuff, which nobody knew about until the draft.  That's why he went in the 7th round and why he missed his rookie year because he had surgery after the draft.  

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, bejezuz said:

Rod was playing his senior year with a torn rotator cuff, which nobody knew about until the draft.  That's why he went in the 7th round and why he missed his rookie year because he had surgery after the draft.  

Rod is a loyal soldier and if Orgeron isn't an option I'm happy to have him on board.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

For me, I would probably be looking for a guy who can point to players they coached and developed into the NFL as opposed to a guy who coached them after they had already been developed enough to make the league. 
I see a lot of recruits talk about wanting development towards the NFL. 
Not saying Wright won’t be successful but there was no question that Davis was very good with development and had the resume to back it up.  
Now, who that would be, I have no idea.  As such, Wright I guess is as good as anyone. 

He developed himself into a five star HS DT prospect, big time contributor at Texas, and eventual draft pick and NFL player. Now, he's developed himself into a pretty good coach worthy of being considered as the DL coach at his alma mater.

He's also young enough to relate to most of these guys while still commanding respect.

He doesn't have a ton of skins on the wall as a coach, but I'm sure he can sell what he's accomplished so far in his life.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Atticus said:

He developed himself into a five star HS DT prospect, big time contributor at Texas, and eventual draft pick and NFL player. Now, he's developed himself into a pretty good coach worthy of being considered as the DL coach at his alma mater.

He's also young enough to relate to most of these guys while still commanding respect.

He doesn't have a ton of skins on the wall as a coach, but I'm sure he can sell what he's accomplished so far in his life.

You don’t have to defend it. I was just pointing out what kind of hire I would have thought they would be after. 

22 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Rod is a loyal soldier and if Orgeron isn't an option I'm happy to have him on board.

I feel that Orgeron would be a one and down. Rod might stay a bit longer and better develop his resume. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

I feel that Orgeron would be a one and down. Rod might stay a bit longer and better develop his resume. 

So let's bring Rod on as IDL coach and Coach O as an analyst.  

Boom, everyone is happy.

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

You sound like me when I invite my homeboys to a gathering of mostly work friends and soon regret the worlds colliding. Everything will be fine as long as we don’t offer the boss some key bumps. 

36 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is exactly correct. 

Spongebob Squarepants Nickelodeon GIF

40 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

All the DT contributors since Davis has been here - Murphy, Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Collins, and Broughton - were brought in by the prior coaching staff. Davis pulled in Kris Ross (got in the mothafucka), Bledsoe (has flashed potential), Bryant (little production yet), Mitchell (nada yet/FR), Trill (portal in and out), and then two 3- stars in January (legacy) and Hills for this cycle.

Just for some context, this is also coinciding with A&M paying whatever it takes on the DL and raising the NIL cost for everyone else.  I think some of the direction UT/Davis’ took in contrast was to play to his strengths and get in rawer players that he could groom for several years (and hopefully avoid some of the arms race and chemistry issues plaguing other teams).  

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

So let's bring Rod on as IDL coach and Coach O as an analyst.  

Boom, everyone is happy.

Analyst time commitment is probably much more conducive to Coach O's outside interests, compared to the time commitment of him being a position coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If Wright is the guy, I hope he's ready for it and does an amazing job.

What do you mean by amazing? Do you mean Bo wasn't amazing? Do you mean Wright likely won't be amazing? I can name 13 coaches that are amazing that we should be able to snap our fingers and get. I won't admit that whoever we hire is one of the amazing coaches on that list because I'm dug in here.

Nothing will be amazing or optimal!

DARRELL ROYAL GAVE AWAY THE WISHBONE TO OKLAHOMA!!!!

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Analyst time commitment is probably much more conducive to Coach O's outside interests, compared to the time commitment of him being a position coach.

Depends on the position 👀

Spoiler

Doggy Style Sex Positions GIF by LIEBESLEBEN

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Spoiler
Edited by GTJ1982