Week 14, 2023, Texas v Washington, College Football Playoff Edition

Wulaw Horn

I hope their players read Hard Core Huskies. it's completely delusional, which isn't to say WA won't win, they just lack rational thought and sound judgment and act like a bunch of fucking hyenas. reminds me of USC fans in 2005 - they lack the SEER and they lack the over confident we are USC instead they are still begging folks to respect them. I wish the media would suck WA off to make the motivation even better but the media seems to know what they are talking about. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Perplexed by the poor quality of posts from Udub visitors in this thread, I decided to check out that Hardcore Husky site. At first glance, it looks like it's populated by about a couple of hundred regulars who are a bunch of try-hard internet keyboard warriors.

Digging a little further, I came across their podcast and better understood the hubris displayed by their visitors here. And I admit they've got a lot to be proud of after an incredible undefeated season, so kudos and congratulations to them on that feat.

But skimming through their latest podcast breaking down their season, I finally got to the point where they began to look forward to the Sugar Bowl against Texas, and it became clear where the attitude of our visitors comes from: they don't know this season's Texas team, only comparing it to the one they beat in last year's Alamo Bowl.

The guy doing most of the talking is all like, "How is Texas so much better than last year? I just don't see it. The only difference is that the Big 12 sucked so much this year. Yeah, they were missing their running back, Bijan Mustardson, but they're missing Brooks this year. And their best receiver just drops a bunch of passes (not knowing or not acknowledging Whittington's broken hand in last year's match up). I just don't get it. They're basically the same team as last year, and we've improved so much."

It sounds like the guy hasn't watched any of our games this year. Start at 1:00:45 (they talk about Texas for about 11 minutes, so not too outrageously long):

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/hardcorehusky/episodes/Pac-12-Championship-Postgame-Pod-e2cn2pl

Edit: No acknowledgment that last year was Ewer's first as a starter. No acknowledgment that Sagarin ranks our SOS just above theirs. Nothing of the sort. The guy talking thinks they should win this game going away.

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the average fan looks at the shiny object. In the case of football, that would be the offensive skill positions and especially the passing game. And of course that is the area of biggest improvement over last year for them. The shiny object is shinier, therefore EVERYTHING must be better, right?

3 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

You are absolutely correct. Unfortunately, the average fan looks at the shiny object. In the case of football, that would be the offensive skill positions and especially the passing game. And of course that is the area of biggest improvement over last year for them. The shiny object is shinier, therefore EVERYTHING must be better, right?

all I wanna do is hug Mr. Sweat that big dog is my hero.

• Hook 'Em 5

Texas very well could be the fastest and the most physical team WA faces all year. It's like they think we waltzed into the CFP on name recognition and a shitty conference instead of being a peer to WA, Mich and Bama and the only one that can look across that field and say "them over there? we beat their asses." it's shocking how obtuse their fans are.

the Bama is so much better narrative is dumb as shit too. They shit the bed against Auburn and Milroe was not that great against Georgia. Yet somehow WA and Bama can get better but Texas can't.  it's just dumb, like really fucking dumb.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

And yet everyone says Texas is the delusional, entitled fan base. 

These guys are going to be really, really surprised when a tough-as-nails Texas team hits them in the mouth and fucks their shit up for 60 minutes.

image.png.60109810d7729e69300c76dccd5052a6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

6 minutes ago, troph said:

Texas very well could be the fastest and the most physical team WA faces all year. It's like they think we waltzed into the CFP on name recognition and a shitty conference instead of being a peer to WA, Mich and Bama and the only one that can look across that field and say "them over there? we beat their asses." it's shocking how obtuse their fans are.

the Bama is so much better narrative is dumb as shit too. They shit the bed against Auburn and Milroe was not that great against Georgia. Yet somehow WA and Bama can get better but Texas can't.  it's just dumb, like really fucking dumb.

They think we're delusional because we think Texas can win. Never mind the fact that they believe there is no way they can lose. "If Texas tries to stop the run, we'll pass on them. If they try to stop the pass we'll run! It's a foolproof gameplan!" I understand why they feel confident, they have a good team. But they continually overlook the fact that Texas might punch back. They believe that Texas is equivalent to the 3rd or 4th team in the PAC12. All our close wins were by dumb luck. All their close wins were won by sheer determination of will. Advantage UW.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

And I was just posting with other assholes on this website what a beating McDonough was during the Big XII championship game.

To each his own.

He's normally fine imo but he was definitely a little bitch during the Big 12 championship. Hopefully he won't be mensurating for this game

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

They think we're delusional because we think Texas can win. Never mind the fact that they believe there is no way they can lose. "If Texas tries to stop the run, we'll pass on them. If they try to stop the pass we'll run! It's a foolproof gameplan!" I understand why they feel confident, they have a good team. But they continually overlook the fact that Texas might punch back. They believe that Texas is equivalent to the 3rd or 4th team in the PAC12. All our close wins were by dumb luck. All their close wins were won by sheer determination of will. Advantage UW.  

Wish their coach had the same attitude. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy though. 

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

“I don’t want to sound cocky, but I don’t get it…”

”We should beat them pretty comfortably”

”It should be like a Cincinnati ‘holding on’ against Alabama kind of ass kicking”

“They have the same exact team [as last year]”

”Quentin Ewers”

“I don’t want to be super cocky, but…”

”they have a really good team overall, but I just don’t see it. A shittier u-dub team beat the shit of them last year and now all of a sudden we’re supposed to lose to them when we’re a lot better and they are pretty much the same without a bunch of starters”

“I’m not saying we’re going to completely blow them out, but I just don’t see it.”

”What are they relying on, some sort of revenge factor?”

”Texas has this bad culture where they just feel entitled to it all the time”

”They don’t have the heartbeat that Washington does, they don’t even have the players that Washington does”

”Their coach looked like he was about to shit his pants when they announced they were playing Washington on ESPN”

”I don’t want to be cocky but everything sets up for Washington to just come down and handle them”

It sure would be a shame if these quotes somehow were brought to the attention of a Burnt End or two, who then just happened to share with a few friends.

Happy Got You GIF by Bounce

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

So, rewatching the game from last year is interesting. We played much better than it felt like live. The defense got pressure and the secondary held up in coverage pretty well. Primary issue on defense appeared to be some issues with gap accountability. But, importantly, getting pressure really messed with Penix. This year's team should be able to largely replicate that without relying as much on delayed blitzes that always seemed to find a blocker. 

On offense, Quinn played really well, but only having one handed Worthy prevented us from converting some opportunities. We also had difficulties really establishing the run despite facing a decent amount of honest fronts. And, tell me if you have heard this before, we also struggled with untimely penalties and negative plays that would prematurely end a drive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

“I don’t want to sound cocky, but I don’t get it…”

”We should beat them pretty comfortably”

”It should be like a Cincinnati ‘holding on’ against Alabama kind of ass kicking”

“They have the same exact team [as last year]”

”Quentin Ewers”

“I don’t want to be super cocky, but…”

”they have a really good team overall, but I just don’t see it. A shittier u-dub team beat the shit of them last year and now all of a sudden we’re supposed to lose to them when we’re a lot better and they are pretty much the same without a bunch of starters”

“I’m not saying we’re going to completely blow them out, but I just don’t see it.”

”What are they relying on, some sort of revenge factor?”

”Texas has this bad culture where they just feel entitled to it all the time”

”They don’t have the heartbeat that Washington does, they don’t even have the players that Washington does”

”Their coach looked like he was about to shit his pants when they announced they were playing Washington on ESPN”

”I don’t want to be cocky but everything sets up for Washington to just come down and handle them”

Child Smile GIF

Happy Got You GIF by Bounce

Ryan Reynolds Smile GIF

Smile GIF by Desus & Mero

Oh yeah!!!!  Keep it up please!!  

4 hours ago, bolverk said:

Perplexed by the poor quality of posts from Udub visitors in this thread, I decided to check out that Hardcore Husky site. At first glance, it looks like it's populated by about a couple of hundred regulars who are a bunch of try-hard internet keyboard warriors.

Digging a little further, I came across their podcast and better understood the hubris displayed by their visitors here. And I admit they've got a lot to be proud of after an incredible undefeated season, so kudos and congratulations to them on that feat.

But skimming through their latest podcast breaking down their season, I finally got to the point where they began to look forward to the Sugar Bowl against Texas, and it became clear where the attitude of our visitors comes from: they don't know this season's Texas team, only comparing it to the one they beat in last year's Alamo Bowl.

The guy doing most of the talking is all like, "How is Texas so much better than last year? I just don't see it. The only difference is that the Big 12 sucked so much this year. Yeah, they were missing their running back, Bijan Mustardson, but they're missing Brooks this year. And their best receiver just drops a bunch of passes (not knowing or not acknowledging Whittington's broken hand in last year's match up). I just don't get it. They're basically the same team as last year, and we've improved so much."

It sounds like the guy hasn't watched any of our games this year. Start at 1:00:45 (they talk about Texas for about 11 minutes, so not too outrageously long):

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/hardcorehusky/episodes/Pac-12-Championship-Postgame-Pod-e2cn2pl

Edit: No acknowledgment that last year was Ewer's first as a starter. No acknowledgment that Sagarin ranks our SOS just above theirs. Nothing of the sort. The guy talking thinks they should win this game going away.

He's got some great insight. "We just need to run it up their ass all night." 

"Same old soft shitty Texas team as last year, the conference just got worse."

I know he has no connection to the football team but this should be played for the team to hear.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

If I'm UW, it's slants, slants, and more slants.  If Texas wants to keep "everything in front" of them and give that awesome 7+ yard cushion, sure I'll take 5-10 yard slants all day fucking long.  Penix can make that throw in his sleep.  Eventually we creep up and Odunze hits a double move deep and our slow safeties can't get to it.
After that I'm running 4-5 wide, and have a couple of checkdowns.  If Penix needs them it's there and if not, take the top off.  Once the safeties to back off to respect the bomb, run, but not just counters - reverses, jet sweeps, quick hitters that go away from the interior DL.  Mix in some screens to punish overpusuit in the D-line and slow down that rush.  Will also move the pocket with rollouts, cut the field in half for Penix and get away from DL pressure.
The gameplay itself isn't rocket science: the longer a play lasts, the worse for Texas and the better for UW.  If Penix can let the route develop either via rollout, play-action, screen, trick-play, etc our secondary has demonstrated they won't hold up, and UW receivers are big, strong, and have NFL catch radius.  50/50 balls are more like 60/40 balls for them.  Any play for UW either needs to be a super quick hitter like a slant, or something that builds the protection in for longer developing.  Then once we concede the honest box with pressure, Penix can do his thing.
That's what I'd do anyway...

Yeah I think people are getting a little too excited coming off some thrashings of truly putrid offenses. Washington’s offense is elite; they are going to move the ball, they are going to score.

Texas D is also really good; they can compete, get some stops, and generally make them work for it. Beyond that, this game comes down to the Texas offense. Can they control the pace of the game? Can they finish drives?

I think it’s a really interesting matchup. In many ways Washington scares me more than Bama or Michigan. Really looking forward to it.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just now, gmr548 said:

I think it’s a really interesting matchup. In many ways Washington scares me more than Bama or Michigan. Really looking forward to it.

100%. Washington is a tougher matchup for us than Michigan or Bama IMO.

Unless, you know, they try to run it up our ass all night. Then we crush them.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah I think people are getting a little too excited coming off some thrashings of truly putrid offenses. Washington’s offense is elite; they are going to move the ball, they are going to score.

Texas D is also really good; they can compete, get some stops, and generally make them work for it. Beyond that, this game comes down to the Texas offense. Can they control the pace of the game? Can they finish drives?

I think it's the exact opposite. I think we are a lock for 31-35, can we get 42-45? But more importantly, can the defense be plus 1 or more in turnovers and can the defense force enough stalled drives to keep Penix under 35. To me it's the defense that will win or lose this game.

4 hours ago, troph said:

I hope their players read Hard Core Huskies. it's completely delusional, which isn't to say WA won't win, they just lack rational thought and sound judgment and act like a bunch of fucking hyenas. reminds me of USC fans in 2005 - they lack the SEER and they lack the over confident we are USC instead they are still begging folks to respect them. I wish the media would suck WA off to make the motivation even better but the media seems to know what they are talking about. 

I don't think much of Booger McFarland as a commentator but today he surprised me on Always College Football on how concisely he expressed why every one of these teams in the playoffs can lose because they are all flawed. First he ranked the teams and concisely pointed to their flaws in about 30 seconds.

1. Texas - Susceptible secondary

2. Alabama - Can QB make the throws if the other team makes them one dimensional

3. Michigan - JJ Mccarthy is to damn inconsistent

4. Washington - Unproven against big boy football and lacking talent compared to the other three. I assume on the lines.

His comments are towards the end of his interview because I was scrolling past him but I missed it by just a little.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

“Not to be cocky but I feel Like we blow them out”

umm you haven’t blown anyone out in the last 9 games. Wtf are these dudes smoking? 1 game in the last 9 was won by 10. The other 8 were under 10. But now they’re gonna blow us out? Lmao. Bookmark this all you want. Texas will win by 14. 38-24. 

The quote should actually be, "Not to be cocky but I feel like we blow them."

• Haha 4
  • Prepare your anus 1

11 hours ago, bolverk said:

From the first thread I clicked on:

Bama fans are surprisingly knowledgeable in my experience about other teams and conferences, despite running a train on college football for a while now.

Texas fans are like "our roster is 5 star monsters, we have the advantage in every matchup" "our backup DTs from last year are now better than Suh and Vea"

They really don't know our two monster DL were a 3-star (about the same as their boy Vea) and literally the lowest 4-star grade they give out, do they?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

One thing is certain, whoever we were going to play next was going to scare the shit out of you the most. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I assume Washington will do what everyone has done to try and stop us the last 2 years, install the flyover (and maybe they already run it, I have no idea). There is too much evidence that it is really effective at stalling Sark's offense. Maybe we (really Quinn) have finally solved it. But I have to think Washington tries it. 

I’m not familiar with the term flyover for defense, please educate me?

11 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

100%. Washington is a tougher matchup for us than Michigan or Bama IMO.

Unless, you know, they try to run it up our ass all night. Then we crush them.

That depends on which side of the ball you are looking at.. 

Michigan gives up 0.81 pts per drive (#1)

Bama 1.64 pts/drive (#19)

Washington 2.03 pts/drive (#45)

Texas is #13 at 1.45.. 

This is the best match-up for the offense by far

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, troph said:

3 high safety look that pretty much every Big 12 team tried vs Texas this year. Sard and Ewers are definitely familiar with the look at this pt. I dont know if Washington runs it, but installing a new philosophy in  a month for your defense is a bit sketchy. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Texas is #13 at 1.45.. 

I think most Texas fans assume Sark can game plan for a defense like Michigan, but on defense it’s a bit more dicey, right or wrong. 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

3 high safety look that pretty much every Big 12 team tried vs Texas this year. 

Thank you. 

47 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

3 high safety look that pretty much every Big 12 team tried vs Texas this year. Sard and Ewers are definitely familiar with the look at this pt. I dont know if Washington runs it, but installing a new philosophy in  a month for your defense is a bit sketchy. 

And yet teams appeared to install it in like a week to play Texas. I'm sure it wasn't a completely new install, but it certainly wasn't the normal defense for a lot of teams we played. Given our prior struggles with it, it seems teams generally believed it worthwhile. I'm not sure if that thinking still holds as we appear to have gotten better at attacking it. 

55 minutes ago, troph said:

here's an article from the UGA standpoint last year before their game vs TCU: https://blutarsky.wordpress.com/2023/01/04/tcus-flyover-defense/

image.png.517fa1cdc241bab086d9a36a2027d45f.png

there is a long mgoblog post they recommend above but here is the direct link if you want more info about the ISU version:https://mgoblog.com/content/neck-sharpies-soup-defense

Ian Boyd has also written a ton about it, but i'm going to choose not to link to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And yet teams appeared to install it in like a week to play Texas. I'm sure it wasn't a completely new install, but it certainly wasn't the normal defense for a lot of teams we played. Given our prior struggles with it, it seems teams generally believed it worthwhile. I'm not sure if that thinking still holds as we appear to have gotten better at attacking it. 

Those are teams with nothing to  lose. Texas seemed to make the proper adjustments to the 3 high as the season progressed. Mostly throwing out of power looks. This is the playoffs. You make tweaks and some changes, but completely changing your identity is very risky. I also dont see Washington adapting a strategy designed to slow the game down. That would seem to be counter-productive to their chances to win

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Texas is #13 at 1.45.. 

Yeah.. the broader Surly vibe is Washington is scary Michigan is a cake walk.

I strongly disagree with the second vibe. In fact, think we match up better against Washington than Michigan, but I'm an idiot and don't know shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I strongly disagree with the second vibe. In fact, think we match up better against Washington than Michigan, but I'm an idiot and don't know shit.

You should show us where all of these posters are calling Michigan a cakewalk. Not one idiot, because that’s not what your post implies. If there’s a group of posters on here declaring Michigan a cakewalk, that would be interesting to read. 

17 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I haven't seen anyone say UM is a cakewalk, just that they are a better matchup for us than UW because the passing game and our secondary. 

• Hook 'Em 5

re this idea that Texas fans are overlooking Michigan ... and frankly Washington (fans) overlooking Texas...

Re the Michigan match up:

I think many think Texas matches up well with Michigan because our D strength matched up with their O strength and Michigan does not have a heisman caliber QB to torch our secondary. I think the assumption is if our weakest link is not exposed we can be truly dominate on D. I suspect that's largely true. The Michigan match up is basically strength on strength, not strength on weakness (unlike the Washington match up).

I think most overlook Michigan's D matched up with our O. Many are assuming that our O is our strength, and to that point Sark can game plan for 30 points against their D and boom we win.  That's the oversight on our part. That is very much an unknown fact IMO. But I don't see anyone assuming Texas walks all over Michigan.

Re the Washington match up:

The Washington match up is strength on weakness, not strength on strength and our fan base is probably more sure about strength on strength.  Clearly Washington fans see their strength on our weakness (their passing game versus our secondary) and are failing to see Texas' strengths are a major issue for them. Texas will stop the Washington run game. Texas will score at least 30 points. Both of those Texas strengths match up very well with Washington. Washington fans completely dismiss that and then focus on Penix vs. our secondary which is a huge reason why they should be confident.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Michigan is good, probably overrated but we can't prove it yet.
Washington is good, a worse matchup for the Horns, and I think they could beat and have a more impressive resume than Michigan because I always knew Ohio State was overrated.

Don't make a shit, though, Horns in 4.

• Pancho locked this topic
  • Pancho unlocked this topic