CFP Semifinal: Michigan/Alabama Rose Bowl - 4pm CT ESPN

ztejas

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
14 minutes ago, n64ra said:
Looking forward to the Texas-Bama rematch in Houston

If this happens, this would have to be one of the highest rated games in a long time. That's the game the networks and advertises for sure wants.

Texas/Michigan is a huge draw, too.

Holy shit, are we actually gonna get some calls against Washington?  That could be fun.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Texas/Michigan is a huge draw, too.
Holy shit, are we actually gonna get some calls against Washington?  That could be fun.
For sure. Washington vs Michigan would have to be the least matchup they want in the championship game.

Michigan but be a fun matchup, too. But Bama would be more fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I think this is actually gonna be a hell of a game.

Go Blue, since I'd rather see them a week later if we handle our business.

Michigan has historically had major issues with mobile QBs. This defense seems to be solid all around that they should be able to prevent Milroe from completing a 4th and 31 to end the game. Michigan's offense seems like a good match up for Bama too. Bama can cover but Michigan will keep pounding the rock eventually bringing the safeties up. 

Going to go with a 31-20 Michigan win with a month til the game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Personally I'd much rather be playing Michigan and Washington, and I'd much rather play Michigan and Playoff Saban 

Milroe struggles with solid defenses so I like Michigans chances 

I don't think Michigan has the offense to keep up with Texas. We will shut down their run game and then the fun will begin 

Michigan has a great defense, fairly "bleh" offense.  Bama has a fairly "bleh" offense and a pretty good defense. Seems like a perfect matchup to me. I think McCarthy is ok for Michigan, but he isn't a gamechanger. He was very average vs Ohio State and Iowa, the two best defenses he played this season. I think Milroe will use his legs A LOT this game and lead Bama to the win.

Alabama 27
Michigan 20

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This is a good matchup for Michigan. They can play defense and grind out a win against Bama.

I don't think they could do that against us or Washington.

Idk man. I think Milroe is going to give them nightmares. If Bama gets ahead early, Michigan doesn’t have the offense to get back in the game. 

They haven’t seen anyone that can run like Milroe.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Idk man. I think Milroe is going to give them nightmares. If Bama gets ahead early, Michigan doesn’t have the offense to get back in the game. 

Exactly. We still don’t know if they’re elite because they haven’t played an elite offense all year. I’d take bama by 10. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

cj stroud?

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

30 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Personally I'd much rather be playing Michigan and Washington, and I'd much rather play Michigan and Playoff Saban 

Milroe struggles with solid defenses so I like Michigans chances 

I don't think Michigan has the offense to keep up with Texas. We will shut down their run game and then the fun will begin 

The thing with Michigan's run game is this year they haven't even attempted to incorporate JJ's legs in the game. Mostly because they didn't have to. Tough to get hat on hat when you have to keep a man on the QB as well. 

I am sure all fans think this way but I like Michigan's chances against any of these teams. Worthy is good but he is no Marvin Harrison Jr. The DL can stuff the run without bringing safeties up and so Michigan's D is going to keep it a low scoring affair. 

Michigan has done the slow slog offense this year because it is the style they want to play. Minimize possessions, grind the opponent down and come out with a win. No need for style points. I think people are confusing that with Michigan not having an offense. Which is not the case. 

18 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Again I am confused where this Michigan doesn't have offense narrative comes from. 

Points scored this year. Michigan 477. Texas 470.

Michigan also played the #2,#3,#4 defenses this year. Texas played zero top 10 defenses. Michigan has plenty of offense. They just don't need to use it. 

10 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The thing with Michigan's run game is this year they haven't even attempted to incorporate JJ's legs in the game. Mostly because they didn't have to. Tough to get hat on hat when you have to keep a man on the QB as well. 

I am sure all fans think this way but I like Michigan's chances against any of these teams. Worthy is good but he is no Marvin Harrison Jr. The DL can stuff the run without bringing safeties up and so Michigan's D is going to keep it a low scoring affair. 

Michigan has done the slow slog offense this year because it is the style they want to play. Minimize possessions, grind the opponent down and come out with a win. No need for style points. I think people are confusing that with Michigan not having an offense. Which is not the case. 

219 yards against Iowa.  You have to cover Mitchell, Whittington, Sanders and a fast RB as well.  I hope we get you guys.

Edit:  Our SOS os #2, Mich #23.  Much easier to play defense in the BIG, jmo.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

219 yards against Iowa.  You have to cover Mitchell, Whittington, Sanders and a fast RB as well.  I hope we get you guys.

It was Iowa. They literally knew after they kicked the first FG that they didn't need more points to win. Iowa is also the number 2 defense in the country. There was no need to go air raid offense. Get a couple points, run the clock and win another b1g championship. Just like with Penn State they ran it 30 times in a row because they could and that was the plan, run the clock and end the game. 

Just now, Juicy said:

It was Iowa. They literally knew after they kicked the first FG that they didn't need more points to win. Iowa is also the number 2 defense in the country. There was no need to go air raid offense. Get a couple points, run the clock and win another b1g championship. Just like with Penn State they ran it 30 times in a row because they could and that was the plan, run the clock and end the game. 

They didn't try.  Got it.

9 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Again I am confused where this Michigan doesn't have offense narrative comes from. 

Michigan also played the #2,#3,#4 defenses this year. Texas played zero top 10 defenses. Michigan has plenty of offense. They just don't need to use it. 

Michigan plays in the BIG10 , i think their defense numbers are suspect as the league year over year does not face the same level of offensive production in other leagues. , 

The best offense they played this year is Penn State or Ohio State, one of which fired their offensive coordinator and the other was atypically less productive due to a fresh QB , with Maryland as a top 3 offense they played. 

Also they literally had the playcalls for most of the teams they played , you can bet Sark and Saban are already changing shit out for the playoffs 

I like the odds 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/group/5

image.thumb.png.a6f9f075b124f7c5950bebef7a4a6021.png

Edited by BigHornedLurker
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Didn't have a thread yet.

MICH -1.5

At the Rose Bowl

Jimmy got over the tOSU hump - can he get them into a title game?

I would take Alabama in this game so much.

What is the money line for them to win outright?

I think it was one of the XM shows this morning but Michigan had played like 6 teams this year with offenses ranked 120 or lower.

Charmin soft schedule.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Personally, some of the skepticism towards Michigan comes from a general belief that on their best days, an elite offense will beat an elite defense. See the end of Michigan's season in 2018, 2019, and 2022. 

That can of course be overcome if the offense picks it up. And I get that you're saying that Michigan's offense is playing a certain style because they don't have to score a bunch, but for everyone else, we're wondering if they can score a bunch if/when the day comes that they need to (not including the big 10 soup).

Michigan is remarkably consistent and I consider them the favorite to win it all, but I also like our matchup against them. 

Not to mention the questions that arise from all the sign-stealing stuff. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

My predictions are no more often incorrect than anyone else’s yet they receive 3x the coverage. I’ve got a 31-17 Bammer win. 2024 is the year the “Helo Curse” dies once and for all.

You motherfucker

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Michigan has historically had major issues with mobile QBs. This defense seems to be solid all around that they should be able to prevent Milroe from completing a 4th and 31 to end the game. Michigan's offense seems like a good match up for Bama too. Bama can cover but Michigan will keep pounding the rock eventually bringing the safeties up. 

Going to go with a 31-20 Michigan win with a month til the game. 

Michigan is going to have to solve the Milroe problem.  He is so freaky fast that you are forced to alter your coverages or he will eat you up on the ground, and that is a big part of why he is so good down the field. Michigan may or may not have the defensive speed to handle him, but I know that he was breaking contain at will against us in the first game. I think Michigan can win, but it is going to be a brutal fight in the trenches and you will have to slow the game down.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Personally, some of the skepticism towards Michigan comes from a general belief that on their best days, an elite offense will beat an elite defense. See the end of Michigan's season in 2018, 2019, and 2022. 

That can of course be overcome if the offense picks it up. And I get that you're saying that Michigan's offense is playing a certain style because they don't have to score a bunch, but for everyone else, we're wondering if they can score a bunch if/when the day comes that they need to (not including the big 10 soup).

Michigan is remarkably consistent and I consider them the favorite to win it all, but I also like our matchup against them. 

Not to mention the questions that arise from all the sign-stealing stuff. 

They’re definitely out to prove they didn’t need the sign stealing to win and now feel validated by the tOSU win. However they’re about to find out how impossible it is to overcome a vast talent difference. 

29 minutes ago, Juicy said:

It’s easy to have a top 5 defense when you play against shitty offenses in the big 10

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think this is actually gonna be a hell of a game.
Go Blue, since I'd rather see them a week later if we handle our business.
I just want to get to that game, don't care if it's Michigan or Bama.

I'll put it this way, if it's Michigan in the title game that means they have a pretty damn good team and will give us all we can handle. Sure Bama struggled and squeaked by some inferior competition this year, but we did as well. The cliche' about how hard it is to beat the same good team twice in the same year is rooted in fact..but we're about to face a team in semifinals who did just that to an opponent who was favored both times. We have business to take care of before punching our ticket to Houston.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ousux said:

I just want to get to that game, don't care if it's Michigan or Bama.

I'll put it this way, if it's Michigan in the title game that means they have a pretty damn good team and will give us all we can handle. Sure Bama struggled and squeaked by some inferior competition this year, but we did as well. The cliche' about how hard it is to beat the same good team twice in the same year is rooted in fact..but we're about to face a team in semifinals who did just that to an opponent who was favored both times. We have business to take care of before punching our ticket to Houston.

And with our DB’s vs Penix’s accuracy / downfield throwing?!

Hold On GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Saban has a month to scheme to beat Michigan’s defense. I like those odds over Harbaugh’s month to prepare to get McCarthy’s legs back to running shape  

No one on Michigan’s roster can play Milroy on the scout team. They haven’t seen speed at QB this year. They have a fantastic d line - it’s phenomenal - but outside containment can be an issue. They “shut down” Harrison Jr but they can’t put a sly on Milroe and maintain that effectiveness against WRs. 

It’ll likely be a slog of a game thanks to Michigan’s style but I like Alabama by 4 - something like 20-16. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Saban has a month to scheme to beat Michigan’s defense. I like those odds over Harbaugh’s month to prepare to get McCarthy’s legs back to running shape  

No one on Michigan’s roster can play Milroy on the scout team. They haven’t seen speed at QB this year. They have a fantastic d line - it’s phenomenal - but outside containment can be an issue. They “shut down” Harrison Jr but they can’t put a sly on Milroe and maintain that effectiveness against WRs. 

It’ll likely be a slog of a game thanks to Michigan’s style but I like Alabama by 4 - something like 20-16. 

Alex Orji.

5 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

He’s slower iirc - unless I’m mistaken of course. I thought he was a scrambler but more of a strong arm than speedster. 

He is big and quick. He won one of the offseason competitions with a  4.37 40. I can't imagine Milroe is faster than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to work yesterday, and I couldn't watch the playoff selection show until today, and I'm right at the point where they interview Harbaugh.

(let me pause here for context:  I have generally rooted for Michigan, and I see them as a fellow top-flight public university)

Paraphrasing just a little here:

ESPN:  "So, anyway, Jim, you got suspended for cheating, then you cheated some more, then you agreed to be suspended because you definitely have been cheating a long time, and also you were concurrently cheating while also running a ring of cheating cheaters.  And you've had to miss a bunch of games this year.  First, for cheating.  Again, for more cheating.  And now, you're ranked number one.  How does that feel?"

(and now, this is verbatim)

Harbaugh:  (points fingers upward). "Yeah, thanks to God, first.  It's been, uh....  He's had his hand on this team the entire year.  It's been a spiritual journey for us, so uh, all thanks, all thanks to God and our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ."

(Really.  He said that.)

• Haha 1

• ztejas changed the title to Michigan/Alabama Rose Bowl - 4pm CT ESPN
  • Pancho changed the title to CFP Semifinal: Michigan/Alabama Rose Bowl - 4pm CT ESPN