MNC game at NRG Stadium tickets

markstanco

17 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Texas/Michigan would have been the perfect storm.  But with this being the last year of the 4 team playoff, we may never see championship game ticket prices reach that potential again.  They will continue to jack up face value, and you combine that with travel costs for multiple rounds of playoffs, it will be tougher to reach peak demand.  I think if the Championship game is reasonable driving distance from Texas (i.e., any Texas city or NOLA) it would still be a good bet to buy those early.  But outside of that, not sure the upside will ever be close to what it was for those that bought early this year.

Next year (2025) is in Atlanta, not the easiest drive but completely doable. AZ is doable too. Miami, LA, not at all. I'd have a gaggle of kids and kin folk so except for the Rose Bowl (2026 is Hard Rock in Miami which we would skip), we are driving. even if it's like this:

Traveling Black And White GIF by Laff

but to your point, quarters and semis are the bowls - Peach, Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Rose and Sugar, national championship is elsewhere but neutral. That's an expensive habit to do three straight.  I bet there will be some empties in the quarter finals. Rose Bowl Jan 1 for the quarter finals would be sublime across the board - right day, likelihood of winning, Rose Bowl, depressed prices.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think the 12 team format is really going to crush demand for the semis and quarterfinals. There's just not many people that will have the financial ability to fly somewhere 3 weeks in a row (or even 4 if they're not a top 4 seed). We saw this with the Sugar Bowl where Washington fans didn't show. Michigan is a big fanbase that was starving just like us, so they showed up for the Rose this year, but in the 12-team future, there won't be these decades-long droughts between appearances.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I think the 12 team format is really going to crush demand for the semis and quarterfinals. There's just not many people that will have the financial ability to fly somewhere 3 weeks in a row (or even 4 if they're not a top 4 seed). We saw this with the Sugar Bowl where Washington fans didn't show. Michigan is a big fanbase that was starving just like us, so they showed up for the Rose this year, but in the 12-team future, there won't be these decades-long droughts between appearances.

For sure.

just need to study ticket trends with bama fans for how a 12 team playoff will look

or switching sports, Astros fans. I rarely attend an LDS game these days and typically only 1 or 2 LCS games saving all the powder for the World Series.

Just now, UTexasFight said:

For sure.

just need to study ticket trends with bama fans for how a 12 team playoff will look

or switching sports, Astros fans. I rarely attend an LDS game these days and typically only 1 or 2 LCS games saving all the powder for the World Series.

Opening rounds are home games 5-8 seeds, right?

Semi's and finals are neutral sites. So you'll have an idea 3 weeks in advance for pre-purchase.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Semi's and finals are neutral sites. So you'll have an idea 3 weeks in advance for pre-purchase.

Yeah 5-8 get a home game against 9-12. Quarters and semis are at the existing bowls. Championship at a rotating site.

I can see the semis being where ticket pricing is really dirt cheap.  You can still pair the quarters with a NYE trip/vacation a lot of people would be doing anyways.   But tacking on another trip with the possibility of a championship and I can see a ton of folks (potentially myself included) that would plan on quarters and finals with semis on TV.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:38 AM, utexas8 said:

Moral of the story. Buying cfp-rsvp as soon as it opens for next season.

How does this work exactly?  When you buy the option if it hits, you get a ticket but is it "whatever they have available in the nosebleeds" or can you buy an option for a certain type of seat?

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

How does this work exactly?  When you buy the option if it hits, you get a ticket but is it "whatever they have available in the nosebleeds" or can you buy an option for a certain type of seat?

They sell certain types of seats. For this season, you could have bought an upper or a lower RSVP and it told you what part of the Texas section they would be in ahead of time. They were both corner end zone this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I wonder how it takes them to figure it out, and end up putting the second round on-campus as well. Leaving semi’s and final located like they do now. 

This is the way.  Gives another advantage to the better seed, making the regular season still important, and allows for better attendance at each game.  

How would the money split work on those games?  Does home team keep all revenues from game or split profits with visitor?  I know in regular season games it's the former but the latter seems to make sense for playoffs IMO 

Texas/Michigan would have been the perfect storm.  But with this being the last year of the 4 team playoff, we may never see championship game ticket prices reach that potential again.  They will continue to jack up face value, and you combine that with travel costs for multiple rounds of playoffs, it will be tougher to reach peak demand.  I think if the Championship game is reasonable driving distance from Texas (i.e., any Texas city or NOLA) it would still be a good bet to buy those early.  But outside of that, not sure the upside will ever be close to what it was for those that bought early this year.

Yeah but I think at the beginning of the year they are really cheap like $10. Face value + 10 is not bad if you hit. I wouldn’t do it every year but Texas has a good chance next with ewers back so I think I’ll do it next year.

Where is the championship next year?

29 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Yeah but I think at the beginning of the year they are really cheap like $10. Face value + 10 is not bad if you hit. I wouldn’t do it every year but Texas has a good chance next with ewers back so I think I’ll do it next year.

Atlanta 2025, Miami 2026

31 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

If they're only 10 bucks, I'd buy ones for each of the usual suspects that have large fanbases and resell when one or both hits.  Seems a cheaper way to do a futures bet on a team making the finals.  

I wonder how it takes them to figure it out, and end up putting the second round on-campus as well. Leaving semi’s and final located like they do now. 

Fuck. I thought this was what it was and have been telling people who think I know what I’m talking about.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

4 rounds, only 1st round is a home game. the other 3 rounds (quarters, semis, finals) are bowls or neutral site.  final is never a bowl game, the quarters and semis are the traditional big bowls (Peach, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar and Rose).

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Yeah right now they’re still semi-beholden to the bowl mafia, but that will die off soon enough…

53 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah right now they’re still semi-beholden to the bowl mafia, but that will die off soon enough…

I’d rather it not. CFB is about tradition and the bowls are a huge part of it. The quarters are the most appealing to me for that reason 

btw everyone or a anyone who knows - how does the early season option work? You buy and you can sell it later? Not out the ticket price until teams are set? So you could make a few bucks? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Correct. After you buy it you can sell it at whatever price the market dictates up until the semi final game goes final. I believe they take 25% fees, but if you get in early you could make some very good money if you buy a team like Texas early before everyone saw them play Alabama. You don’t have to pay for anything other than the RSVP until your team qualifies for the championship. 

They ain’t gonna be $10 when they open up. Not for the usual suspects.

maybe the school a couple of hours to the East.

I recall upthread folks posting they got us for $30 early this year, but I’ll be surprised if lower level are anything under $100 out of the gate. 

6 hours ago, troph said:

I’d rather it not. CFB is about tradition and the bowls are a huge part of it. The quarters are the most appealing to me for that reason 

I’m talking about the bowl game organizers more than the sites themselves; their bullshit is why we only got 13K tickets this week. The title game against Alabama wasn’t the Rose Bowl, but it didn’t feel any different to me than the USC game did four years earlier (except, obviously, for the game outcome)….

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just be ranked in the top 8.

That is still 3 away travel games if semis are not made home games. Also, semis at home are a big reward for being a top 4 conference champion if you make past the NYG quarters. People can make a game during holiday dates. Also, they will make it to final game but would you go to semis after traveling to quarterfinals?

Edited by DanTheHorn

22 hours ago, tokamak said:

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The home games will be well attended and nuts.

The quarters will be better attended than the semis as the higher seed bye team will show out with the advanced knowledge of the game. The winning team of the opening round is only going to have 10 days to get tickets. That's tough. 

It seems to me that the Sugar and the Rose Bowl will always be Quarters as they have always been on 1/1. 

That leaves a rotating 4 bowls of Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, and Peach for quarters  and semis.

The semis and NCG are going to be sparse / sterile / corporate IMO.

Does rotating sites help or hurt attendance? I can probably argue both ways, but that's miniscule compared the travel burden you're putting on a fan base.

Edited by Dnaguy

8 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’m talking about the bowl game organizers more than the sites themselves; their bullshit is why we only got 13K tickets this week. The title game against Alabama wasn’t the Rose Bowl, but it didn’t feel any different to me than the USC game did four years earlier (except, obviously, for the game outcome)….

I am a big traditionalist, but the way the bowls distribute tickets has always pissed me off. The fact that the participating schools, especially for the major bowls, get such a small allotment is just absurd. And the seats generally suck.  Meanwhile, thousands and thousands of people who have zero interest in the game are comped prime seats.

It's a racket and if it starts to die I won't shed a tear.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

That is still 3 away travel games if semis are not made home games. Also, semis at home are a big reward for being a top 4 conference champion if you make past the NYG quarters. People can make a game during holiday dates. Also, they will make it to final game but would you go to semis after traveling to quarterfinals?

I'm not sure you grasp what "semi-final" means, as you are actually talking about the quarter-finals (Round 2), which are slated to be bowl games (4), along with the (2) semi-finals. R1 is on-campus, and the quarter-finals (R2) should also be. Hell, the semi's should be as well, so there's only 1 real travel headache. Works for the NFL, although the visitors still have to travel. Home crowd makes up for the attendance issues though.

Would be a pain in the ass though, as long as the bowls are tied to a specific location, as they don't seem to be going anywhere.

6 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I am a big traditionalist, but the way the bowls distribute tickets has always pissed me off. The fact that the participating schools, especially for the major bowls, get such a small allotment is just absurd. And the seats generally suck.  Meanwhile, thousands and thousands of people who have zero interest in the game are comped prime seats.

It's a racket and if it starts to die I won't shed a tear.

Fun fact - if it was up to the bowls, they'd require the participating schools to contractually buy way more tickets than they do now.  As it is, the bowls enter into contracts with conferences - not individual schools - and the conferences are the ones who have limited the contractual requirement on ticket allotment at the request of their schools.  Most schools lose their ass on ticket allotments, which is why conferences pushed back on ticket allotment numbers and reduced them to 13,000 (from 17,500) during the last round of contract negotiations in 2014 for the New Years Six bowls.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

59 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I'm not sure you grasp what "semi-final" means, as you are actually talking about the quarter-finals (Round 2), which are slated to be bowl games (4), along with the (2) semi-finals. R1 is on-campus, and the quarter-finals (R2) should also be. Hell, the semi's should be as well, so there's only 1 real travel headache. Works for the NFL, although the visitors still have to travel. Home crowd makes up for the attendance issues though.

Would be a pain in the ass though, as long as the bowls are tied to a specific location, as they don't seem to be going anywhere.

I think Dan has the right idea. He is suggesting that the Semis (round of 4) be played as 2 home games because they will be played the weekend after the NYD bowls (Quarter). It seems wacky to have the 4 rounds go home/away > neutral > home/away > neutral, but who's gonna convince the rose bowl and the rest of the mafia to play bowl games before Christmas?

1 hour ago, field said:

Fun fact - if it was up to the bowls, they'd require the participating schools to contractually buy way more tickets than they do now.  As it is, the bowls enter into contracts with conferences - not individual schools - and the conferences are the ones who have limited the contractual requirement on ticket allotment at the request of their schools.  Most schools lose their ass on ticket allotments, which is why conferences pushed back on ticket allotment numbers and reduced them to 13,000 (from 17,500) during the last round of contract negotiations in 2014 for the New Years Six bowls.  

True, but at that time 4 of the 6 weren’t part of the playoff rotation in any given season. Will be interesting to see if the SEC/B10 don’t push for a higher number whenever that gets renegotiated….

Edited by Ignatius

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

All of it should be on campus, except the championship game, which should be at the Rose Bowl every season.

Fuck the bowls.

I agree the national championship should be played in a stadium with 95k+ capacity every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Round (1) is at home with four teams getting a bye week. Round (2) is either 31st and 1st which a good time for fans to travel because it is combined with the New Year celebration. Everyone knows no work gets done between Christmas and New Years. Then the semi-final is Round (3) which as best I can ascertain will happen on Wednesday and Thursday (Jan 8 & 9 2025) because of not wanting to compete against NFL games.  I don't care who you are those are crappy travel dates and that is why I think those should be home games. People will make the final (Round 4) regardless of when or where it happens. I thought just saying semis was enough for people to understand what games I was talking about and the crappy calendar in which they are slated to fall.

https://collegefootballplayoff.com/news/2023/5/2/24-25-dates.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

All of it should be on campus, except the championship game, which should be at the Rose Bowl every season.

Fuck the bowls.

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

I agree the national championship should be played in a stadium with 95k+ capacity every time. 

Yes NC should be in 95K+ stadium and no the quarters should be in the bowls because some of us like those trips and I still need my shot at the Orange Bowl since other than @Armybrat none of us have a had a chance to mark that one off the list.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Yes NC should be in 95K+ stadium and no the quarters should be in the bowls because some of us like those trips and I still need my shot at the Orange Bowl since other than @Armybrat none of us have a had a chance to mark that one off the list.

I could agree with this if the Orange Bowl was still played in the Orange Bowl Stadium, but this is not my idea of a destination stadium:

500px-200127-H-PX819-0092.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I could agree with this if the Orange Bowl was still played in the Orange Bowl Stadium, but this is not my idea of a destination stadium:

500px-200127-H-PX819-0092.jpg

It is not about the stadium it is about the Cotton, Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls being the guys when I first started to be a college football fan and then the Fiesta joining them somewhere along the way. I have marked off 4 of the 5.

We found a pair of front-row seats near the 50-yard line at NRG Stadium reselling on SeatGeek for $98,428 each on Wednesday, which included an eye-watering $24,196 in fees alone. The grand total for this primo pair in Section 106, Row A came to $196,854.

While you pause to talk the purchase over with your accountant, with those tickets sitting out in your cart, SeatGeek will email you a coupon code for 15% off. But before you get your hopes up thinking you can possibly swing it with a sizable discount of $29,528, a quick check of the fine print on the SeatGeek discount promo will stipulate a maximum savings of $25. That'll bring the all-in price down to $196,829.44. And that's only if you're a first-time purchaser through the ticket vendor.

When we checked for the tickets again on Thursday morning, they were no longer listed, meaning either some football fan made the splurge of a lifetime or the seller got cold feet. But one section to the right, in Section 105, Row A, we found seats going for $57,447 eachwith fees included. The rub here is that you have to buy six seats, meaning you're looking at $344,678.22 out the door. (Here's hoping your friends don't mind going Dutch.) For perspective — because perspective is sorely needed when the price of anything tips into five- and six-figure territory — seats just a few feet back, in Row B, Section 106, are available for $7,845 each. That includes $1,934 in fees, but is all but theft by comparison.

57 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

We found a pair of front-row seats near the 50-yard line at NRG Stadium reselling on SeatGeek for $98,428 each on Wednesday, which included an eye-watering $24,196 in fees alone. The grand total for this primo pair in Section 106, Row A came to $196,854.

While you pause to talk the purchase over with your accountant, with those tickets sitting out in your cart, SeatGeek will email you a coupon code for 15% off. But before you get your hopes up thinking you can possibly swing it with a sizable discount of $29,528, a quick check of the fine print on the SeatGeek discount promo will stipulate a maximum savings of $25. That'll bring the all-in price down to $196,829.44. And that's only if you're a first-time purchaser through the ticket vendor.

When we checked for the tickets again on Thursday morning, they were no longer listed, meaning either some football fan made the splurge of a lifetime or the seller got cold feet. But one section to the right, in Section 105, Row A, we found seats going for $57,447 eachwith fees included. The rub here is that you have to buy six seats, meaning you're looking at $344,678.22 out the door. (Here's hoping your friends don't mind going Dutch.) For perspective — because perspective is sorely needed when the price of anything tips into five- and six-figure territory — seats just a few feet back, in Row B, Section 106, are available for $7,845 each. That includes $1,934 in fees, but is all but theft by comparison.

Those section 105 seats are now going for $5k each.  A bargain, I tell ya!

Still doesn't look like the schools have released their seats.  If you look on Ticketmaster, almost no inventory in corner sections. Prices will drop significantly when those hit the market.

24 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

Those section 105 seats are now going for $5k each.  A bargain, I tell ya!

Still doesn't look like the schools have released their seats.  If you look on Ticketmaster, almost no inventory in corner sections. Prices will drop significantly when those hit the market.

Washington is releasing tix Friday.  

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, and we're relying on an 89-yo man to send us his electronically.  

Nothing could go wrong, right?

You're really going to enjoy that 4 pm early-bird dinner theater presentation of Death of a Salesman.