2023 NCAAVB Championship: #2 Texas vs #1 Nebraska; 2pm ABC (Dec 17)

Js1

2 hours ago, wood said:

Holy shit. Yeah I remember thinking at the time that I had been taking crazy pills and must have seen it wrong. How in the actual fuck does a ref standing right there not call that? How do they both miss maybe the most basic and obvious call in volleyball? Unbelievable.

I am by no means a volleyball expert but I have watched the girls for years either live or on LHN and while watching the game on tv yesterday, I thought that maybe I had missed a rule change somewhere. That was RIDICULOUS that it wasn't called by ANYONE, Official (3 ft away) or that corn homer play by play announcer Courtney Lyle. That lead to the net violation and then of course they have no clue on NU's rotation. That damn near blew the 1st set for us.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

16 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I am by no means a volleyball expert but I have watched the girls for years either live or on LHN and while watching the game live yesterday, I thought that maybe I had missed a rule change somewhere. That was RIDICULOUS that it wasn't called by ANYONE, Official (3 ft away) or that corn homer play by play announcer Courtney Lyle. That lead to the net violation and then of course they have no clue on NU's rotation. That damn near blew the 1st set for us.

Oh, so that's who she is? I didn't know whose voice was whose, but I didn't think Holly McPeak would be that unprofessional. She's a cool chick.

ETA: Apparently Lyle is a Tennessee grad. That 'splains it.

Edited by wood

15 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I am by no means a volleyball expert but I have watched the girls for years either live or on LHN and while watching the game on tv yesterday, I thought that maybe I had missed a rule change somewhere. That was RIDICULOUS that it wasn't called by ANYONE, Official (3 ft away) or that corn homer play by play announcer Courtney Lyle. That lead to the net violation and then of course they have no clue on NU's rotation. That damn near blew the 1st set for us.

Courtney Lyle actually went to UTenn. Her butt is probably still hurt from her school not being able to convert a match point against us in the regional semifinals

Paul Sunderland would never. We want Paul!

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, wood said:

Oh, so that's who she is? I didn't know whose voice was whose, but I didn't think Holly McPeak would be that unprofessional. She's a cool chick.

Yes. Lyle was play by play with Holly and the blonde doing color.

Lyle has done our games before and has shown some bias, but yesterday was worse. Hope she choked on a fat cob last night.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Courtney Lyle actually went to UTenn. Her butt is probably still hurt from her school not being able to convert a match point against us in the regional

Shouldn't have meant to imply she went to Nebraska, just her announcing. She came out from the get go spewing all big red. 

It seems to be her norm when calling our games, as WAS yesterday. She almost orgasmed when Murray dove onto the table. You could hear her disappointment when we landed up getting the point. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Shouldn't have meant to imply she went to Nebraska, just her announcing. She came out from the get go spewing all big red. 

It seems to be her norm when calling our games, as WAS yesterday. She almost orgasmed when Murray dove onto the table. You could hear her disappointment when we landed up getting the point. 

Oh no, it’s clear ESPN was in love with Nebraska. But she probably didn’t like us much headed into that match regardless 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

She's been playing for two years (two seasons), just in middle school. 

Needs to work on her coordination. She can jump, but needs to work on her timing. Also on her motivation. She likes playing and being part of a team, but she's not into training or conditioning. 

We'll see. I'm not going to force anything. 

Basically the same with my 12 yo. She has done a bunch of clinics and tried out for one club team, which we, as a family probably took for granted. She didn’t make that team but we’ve been going to private lessons with the money we “saved” from not doing club.

Find a good private coach and you’ll see huge improvements quickly. My kid’s hitting is night and day better than a couple months ago and now probably better than some of her friends that got onto club teams.  She still has a way to go but the improvement is obvious and quick. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

LOL. From the video below: "I don't like to say this cause, I don't like Texas so much..." 

SPOILER ALERT: HE CRIES AT THE END OF THE VIDEO. 

Some other gems from BigHuskerFan.com: 

"Yup, it sucked rotten eggs, to be sure. I really hate losing to them in particular."

"Becoming pretty obvious nobody on earth can handle Texas' serve. Made Wisconsin look like a JV squad, now happening to Nebraska."

"Huskers getting bullied by Texas. :mecry:"

"A loss to Texas is always the WORST"

You can enjoy every single word on the forum here

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Her disappointment was almost as delicious as our victory

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's funny watching the Nebraska narrative change overnight once the burnt orange and white confetti has been swept up. 

• Nebraska is legit. Dynasty incoming.
  • This team is so battle tested and passed all their tests. 28-1 regular season record and won the vaunted Big 10 by 2 game
  •  Dominated their opponents leading up to the champ match
    • 3-0 versus LIU, 3-0 versus Mizzou, 3-0 versus GT, 3-1 versus Arky, 3-0 versus Pitt)
  • Nebraska was lucky to get this far, they weren't as good as their record, they were so young against old ass Texas <--- we are here

Laughable. 

Nebraska went 33-2.  That wasn't some fluke.  They beat the AAC champ, SEC champ, Big East champ and Pac 12 champ in the non-conference.  They beat 3 of the 4 teams that beat Texas, including 2 on the road (Stanford and KSU).  Their only loss was in Madison - they also won tough matches at Purdue (in 5), at home against Wisconsin (in 5), at Penn State (in 5).  They were absolutely battle tested and lost 1 set in the tournament prior to the champ match.

Position by position, they had the better opposite (Beason > Phillips), libero (Rodriguez > Halter), MB2 (Jackson > Bergmark) and had a healthy freshman setter up against our freshman setter with a nagging foot injury. Texas had the better OH1 (Skinner > Murray) and MB1 (O'Neal > Allick) and OH2 was a push. 

Texas had 2 All-Americans. Nebraska had 4. 

They were the betting favorite.  They were, on the eye test, the better team.  Texas almost fell in 4 sets in the Sweet 16.  

They will never get over this one. 

and I'm spent

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again -

I am so happy for Jenna.  She took a lot of crap (from me, especially) and showed up when needed.  Her postseason stats:

45-28-142, 8 blocks, 11 digs

Is it pretty? No.  But she did a lot of dirty work to get those 45 kills and I respect her for it. 

• Hook 'Em 8

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Nebraska head coach also bitched that O'Neal had a bunch of spikes that he thought should have been ruled throws. The entitled, snotty behavior by corn players at the press conference was a direct result of his shitty, snide, loser attitude. They lost overwhelmingly in 3 straight. They should only talk about themselves. Say what they could have done better. Nebraska players or coach had no reason to even speak Texas' name. They're young but that's no excuse for being rude and it's certainly no excuse for that snide old fart in the coach's seat.

Cook didn't come across very well in that press conference to me.  He sounded like a passive aggressive asshat. He conveniently left out several facts about our players and team to help support his whiny sounding points.  Compare his press conference with Kelly Sheffield's after Wisconsin lost.  Sheffield showed quite a bit more class imo.  So did his players.

#5 for Nebraska is really mouthy and cocky, but all she could do was mumble and cry after that ass whipping. Youthful silliness maybe, but I doubt they change that much.

• Hook 'Em 2

i love that we got contributions in spots ladies like Bergmark and Singletary.  total team effort.

Cook comes off like Coach K and his "we do it the right way" attitude.  who made him the arbiter of how you're supposed to win.  don't want 1 and dones or to use the portal? that's your prerogative.  but don't be condescending to those who choose to do that (which is completely within the rules) and act like you're too good for that.  it just reeks of snobbery (as well as hypocrisy).

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Cook didn't come across very well in that press conference to me.  He sounded like a passive aggressive asshat. He conveniently left out several facts about our players and team to help support his whiny sounding points.  Compare his press conference with Kelly Sheffield's after Wisconsin lost.  Sheffield showed quite a bit more class imo.  So did his players.

#5 for Nebraska is really mouthy and cocky, but all she could do was mumble and cry after that ass whipping. Youthful silliness maybe, but I doubt they change that much.

#5 is a freshman I think so I won't hold it against her. She has great potential if she transfers to Texas. But as long as that ass-hat, Cook, is her coach I don't have much hope for her.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, LonghornBreeder said:

#5 is a freshman I think so I won't hold it against her. She has great potential if she transfers to Texas. But as long as that ass-hat, Cook, is her coach I don't have much hope for her.

Allick is a sophomore. Her brother is on the hoops team 

• Like 1

I get the John Cook hate, I kinda hate him too.

But what you see there is really just how he rolls, he's not really singling out Texas for scorn.

However, the big narrative there is that Cook is one of the best in the game (there's really no question there), and, over the longer-term, has along with his staff, developed better-rounded teams than JE.  Which is why they've beaten us for NC's twice before and eliminated us at least a couple other times.

With the portal, JE can now fix recruiting or evaluation mistakes that he couldn't before, or wasn't inclined to "see."  Hopefully, that will become less necessary than the Fleck transfer.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was glad someone eventually asked Emma a question in the press conference.  She's such an important part of this team.  

Did anyone else catch the lengthy shot of Cook scouting our game v Wisconsin.  Did it look like he had dozed off to anyone else?  

I don't think it was JE who prompted Ella to say no comment to the question about responding to Murray's 'next 3 years' line.  I think it was either Asjia or Madi.  

I'm proud that UT athletics plays with so much sportsmanship.  This team is no exception.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Bro, you’ve been around the volleyball threads, you know the Lexi Sun hatred. 

So what? That hatred isn't relevant to this discussion. What is relevant is that the Nebraska coach is being hypocritical for whining about this when he, himself, has done the exact same thing, ironically victimizing Texas.

Please shut up with the irrelevancies. So people hated her. That's not salient to this discussion.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again -

I am so happy for Jenna.  She took a lot of crap (from me, especially) and showed up when needed.  Her postseason stats:

45-28-142, 8 blocks, 11 digs

Is it pretty? No.  But she did a lot of dirty work to get those 45 kills and I respect her for it. 

She was awesome. They all were.

• Hook 'Em 5

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I have yet to see any new video content from any Nebraska players, but clips of the Nebraska post game press conference have been posted and it’s brought out the depressed Nebraska fan base to the comment sections. Not my responsibility to talk them off that ledge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i love that we got contributions in spots ladies like Bergmark and Singletary.  total team effort.

Cook comes off like Coach K and his "we do it the right way" attitude.  who made him the arbiter of how you're supposed to win.  don't want 1 and dones or to use the portal? that's your prerogative.  but don't be condescending to those who choose to do that (which is completely within the rules) and act like you're too good for that.  it just reeks of snobbery (as well as hypocrisy).

Self righteous hypocrisy? From Nebraska? What a shocking new development.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

SIAP, but if you haven't read the match thread on Volleytalk, do yourself a favor and at least skim it. Most of the match itself is chronicled on (roughly) pages 100-200. Every good and bad response related to sports is in there...including noting of the "horns down" and what it portended.

https://volleytalk.proboards.com/thread/97231/final-texas-nebraska-sun-abc?page=1

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/12/ncaa-volleyball-final-record-audience-texas-nebraska-abc/

Despite facing competition from the NFL, the NCAA women’s volleyball final surged to a new viewership high in its ABC debut.

Sunday’s Texas-Nebraska NCAA women’s volleyball national championship averaged a 0.8 rating and 1.69 million viewers on ABC, surpassing a regional window on FOX in October (1.66M) to rank as the largest women’s college volleyball audience on record. 

The Longhorns’ win cruised past the previous high for a national championship game, 1.20 million for Nebraska-Wisconsin on ESPN2 two years ago.

Compared to last year’s title game — Texas-Louisville in a Saturday night window on ESPN2 — ratings jumped 95% and viewership 115% from a 0.39 and 786,000. In the same Sunday afternoon window last year, ABC averaged 381,000 for a Tennessee-Stanford regular season women’s college basketball game.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Drool 1

The NCAA women’s volleyball final ranks fifth among major college championships over the past year, trailing the national title games of FBS football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball and softball, though it is worth noting that none of those other championship events faced NFL competition.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Not sure this ever got posted, but L-O-fucking-L

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/nebraska-volleyball-notes-inside-texas-dominant-serving-the-price-of-caring-rare-red-card/article_9c19a34b-ea08-5097-9ae8-43b77fee720c.html#:~:text=Nebraska head coach John Cook,Video courtesy of NCAA.

“Up until about November we were the best passing team in the country,” Cook said. “We were No. 1, and Lexi was No. 1.

“But the difference is, and what our players don’t understand, is Texas has already been through this. You come into these arenas and it’s freezing in here and the ball really moves and the balls are already rocks and you can hit them really hard. Texas has figured that out, and we’ve been talking about it.”

I guess it was only cold on the sides that Nebraska and Wisconsin played on 

Meme Reaction GIF by Traviscr

• Haha 7
  • Drool 1