Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The opt out thing is a scam. Just lets them know someone is on the other end checking their email.

Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

I’m talking about when you purchase something off their website. Of course someone is on the other end. 

4 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yes, that sucks. AI movies suck…now

The same with current robots. They suck…now 

Computers in the 60s sucked. Hell they sucked in the 90s. 

They will get better. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Yes, that sucks. AI movies suck…now

The same with current robots. They suck…now 

Computers in the 60s sucked. Hell they sucked in the 90s. 

They will get better. 

AI in its current form will never understand humor or sadness or drama or any emotion. It knows what WAS those things, because of key words/tagging. But it doesn’t understand the feelings elicited from something.

I really question that it will ever be able to churn out a truly original script of any quality. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

AI in its current form will never understand humor or sadness or drama or any emotion. It knows what WAS those things, because of key words/tagging. But it doesn’t understand the feelings elicited from something.

I really question that it will ever be able to churn out a truly original script of any quality. 

It won't. 

But the younger generations might be so inundated with technology and lack of real human connection that they won't know any better. That's the frightening part. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Hallmark Christmas movies.

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

“In its current form” is doing a lot of work here 

Technology gets better. Always has 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

“In its current form” is doing a lot of work here 

Technology gets better. Always has 

Ok. Fine. Let me be a little clearer.

AI will not have feeling. We are not even close to that right now.

All any of these AI's are simply just prediction models. In the text (dialog) versions they simply predict what the next word in a sentence should be. In the picture ones they "know" what you asked for and they use that to predict their next pixel and reiterate until they generate what you asked for. Video is the same thing on a larger level.

But these AIs have no models of what anything is. They simply know concepts because they are told what they are. Someone feeds this picture into Dall-E with the tag LOVE:

image.thumb.png.29111fa2bf69f51f6f659cf1df3f400d.png

AI doesn't know why that's love. Just that two people sitting face to face on a couch = LOVE.

That can also be:

Woman touching man's hair = LOVE

or  Leather Couch in a white room = LOVE

or Blue fingernails = LOVE

hell it might read this like Woman assaulting man with a headbutt = LOVE

Our current and very limited AIs have no idea what LOVE is. And this goes with all feelings. They have no models of them: sadness, uncomfortableness, creepiness, etc.

Here's a scene anyone on this site gets:

Why? Because the writing is top notch. Someone writing this said : Ok, we're going to have this scene where Tommy is telling stories and making everyone laugh and Henry is going to say something about how great the story is because it's funny and for KICKS Tommy is going to change his tone pretend to be offended and make everyone uncomfortable until Henry calls him on it.

You can tell a prompt - make a scene LIKE this.

Hey Video Maker AI: Generate a scene like the "Am I a clown?" scene in goodfellas.

But you can't feed my prompt into it and get anything original that is a fraction of the emotional response that this scene gets from you. Why? Because an AI doesn't know how to make you uncomfortable. Hell, and AI can't generate an original joke to even open up this scene. 

So I might be letting something sit on "In its current form" to do some heavy lifting - because I know pretty well what the current form of this AI is really doing. And it has ZERO concept of what reality is. It just knows:

some input = TAGS that people put on that input and it runs from there. Those inputs might be 1,000,000,000 pictures or books or videos, but it's simple association. And that is a far cry from being able to come up with anything like this:

Ok, it might understand that K's are funny, but only if someone add that as a tag on jokes that include hard K sounds.

But again going back to the start of this - 

AI will not have feeling. We aren't even close to that right now.

I'm not even sure we are in the same galaxy for AI to be able to generate something original with feeling.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Hallmark Christmas movies.

You know this is a good example of why AI will fail for a long time. These movies are seen as pure schlock because in most cases they are extremely derivative of prior works. That is all that AI generated films will be, derivative works of likely everything.

Hallmark films “work” because they use every trope that’s been used before and markets show they work. AI films, in the current models, will be no different. 

11 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I’m eagerly awaiting the first successful AI roast. Then I’ll buy in. 

"Hey everyone, it's great to be here tonight. Oh look, I see HAL 9000 is in the crowd. Everyone give HAL a round of applause. Great guy, did so much for us AI computers. But I tell you, 2001 was so boring that by the end I was hoping he would launch me into space. Ha ha! Am I right, people?"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

So the interesting part about this is the way people are talking about AI now because it has somehow made technology relatable/understandable to the masses. 

This was always the end state of dating apps. An algorithm that uses all available data to predict the best probability of a compatible match between 2 users. 

Now they are just saying it's AI because people are too stupid to understand how computers work.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

So the interesting part about this is the way people are talking about AI now because it has somehow made technology relatable/understandable to the masses. 

This was always the end state of dating apps. An algorithm that uses all available data to predict the best probability of a compatible match between 2 users. 

Now they are just saying it's AI because people are too stupid to understand how computers work.

Yes, that available data being your "likes", "connections" and follow up "would you date them again" data to narrow the selection pool of candidates.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

You know this is a good example of why AI will fail for a long time. These movies are seen as pure schlock because in most cases they are extremely derivative of prior works. That is all that AI generated films will be, derivative works of likely everything.

Hallmark films “work” because they use every trope that’s been used before and markets show they work. AI films, in the current models, will be no different. 

How many people want a movie that’s more than that?  For every Oppenheimer/Barbie ticket bought how many Transformers tickets sell?

And look at the rich IP.  There have been like 11 Star Wars movies and how many TV series made by real people.  You tell Chat GTP, “Watch all the Star Wars there is and create a sequel movie.”  Compare that movie to the recent human-made iterations and would it be much worse?  Would the streamers buy it just to fill up “content?”

Or tell it to watch all the actual prestige TV serieses (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.).  You don’t think AI couldn’t make shows as good as CSI?  Again, all it costs is a Chat GTP license and the electricity to run the computer.  Gotta be cheaper than an actual CSI season.

Edited by Parliament

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

I mean....let's not pretend that the AI/algorithm has to do a lot of heavy lifting.  For example, if I was to get on a dating site, within about 5 minutes, the algorithm would say "yeah, yeah, I get it -- I should just show you middle-aged brunettes with great tits."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

21 minutes ago, immamac said:

Every person on social media "should" understand how these algorithms work as their "feed" is in the end result of all this AI data.   

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....let's not pretend that the AI/algorithm has to do a lot of heavy lifting.  For example, if I was to get on a dating site, within about 5 minutes, the algorithm would say "yeah, yeah, I get it -- I should just show you middle-aged brunettes with great tits."

Pretty sure mine has figured out:

"He likes smoking hot 30 somethings, but they don't like him. Feed his info to the 60+ full bodied women feed, they're fans of his."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Pretty sure mine has figured out:

"He likes smoking hot 30 somethings, but they don't like him. Feed his info to the 60+ full bodied women feed, they're fans of his."

Future BurntEyes:

image.png.103dd705b453cff806177a9ee8b318f4.png

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, immamac said:

This is spot on.  I work for large enterprise and work in security.   We have apps that have been around for years, demo's to clients but they were so/so on them.  Change the name to something with AI, they are all over it, can't get enough of it.  Just like cloud, SAAS, this is all regurgitated tech but change the name and away we go.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Parliament said:

How many people want a movie that’s more than that?  For every Oppenheimer/Barbie ticket bought how many Transformers tickets sell?

And look at the rich IP.  There have been like 11 Star Wars movies and how many TV series made by real people.  You tell Chat GTP, “Watch all the Star Wars there is and create a sequel movie.”  Compare that movie to the recent human-made iterations and would it be much worse?  Would the streamers buy it just to fill up “content?”

Or tell it to watch all the actual prestige TV serieses (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.).  You don’t think AI couldn’t make shows as good as CSI?  Again, all it costs is a Chat GTP license and the electricity to run the computer.  Gotta be cheaper than an actual CSI season.

Yes, it would be much worse. Even with how bad most of the Star Wars sequels have been. Look at what's happening to Marvel at the moment. While created by humans their catalog has been put on cruise control since Endgame and the movies suck and are not making the money they predicted. 

You just brought up Chat GTP (sorry, GPT lol). I haven't seen any talk of that in months after being inundated with it at the beginning. AI is crashing and burning right now despite the gaslighting and dollar signs that it's creators are hunting. 

Whether or not you realize it, there are subtleties in the human condition that our brains respond to, and AI can't create that yet. Maybe never. 

We can let AI take over, and our kids or grandkids might not know the difference (or even care) if it's all they know. Is that we want? 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, TexasGrunt said:

This is spot on.  I work for large enterprise and work in security.   We have apps that have been around for years, demo's to clients but they were so/so on them.  Change the name to something with AI, they are all over it, can't get enough of it.  Just like cloud, SAAS, this is all regurgitated tech but change the name and away we go.

A few years ago it was "blockchain will revolutionize $INDUSTRY!!" 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

You act like big budget action films are easy to churn out. They aren't. Transformers are fun movies to watch. There are plenty of action films that aren't worth a nickel. And hell, a franchise like Transformers isn't going to be sold to anyone just saying "we're going to let an AI write the script." It was given to Bay because they knew exactly what they were getting with him at the helm.

And look at the rich IP.  There have been like 11 Star Wars movies and how many TV series made by real people.  You tell Chat GTP, “Watch all the Star Wars there is and create a sequel movie.”  Compare that movie to the recent human-made iterations and would it be much worse?  Would the streamers buy it just to fill up “content?”

Yes. It would be awful. Why? We'll get to that in a second. As far as streamer - probably. Which would suck because they lap up anything Star Wars and it would show the mouse that oh all we need to do is slap SW on it and the dorks will buy it. But that doesn't make it good.

No AI can't make a show as good as CSI. And this is where I will pick up the SW argument too.

In the end it doesn't matter what you feed into it - all it can do is make near copies. "Give me a crime drama LIKE Breaking Bad", "Give me a period piece LIKE Mad Men", "Give me a procedural LIKE CSI", "Write a Star Wars sequel story". In the end it can only take what is there and at best churn out something that has the characters and has them do a lot of what you've seen. And it would likely be pretty hollow because you wouldn't see any sort of evolution of the characters from what they last were in the media.

What made Breaking Bad and Mad Men was their uniqueness and their characters. They evolved, changed and grew. The world changed around them and they changed to adapt. AI can't make any of that up. It would just regurgitate what we have seen ad nauseum. This would apply to Star Wars too. Take the entire SW catalog before 2022 and there is ZERO chance that an AI generated Andor would be anything but Andor flying around the galaxy with 17 Jedi pals. And it would be really dumb because everyone would be saying shit like "I am one with the force and the force is with me", "I've got a bad feeling about this", etc. I would probably rather watch fucking fan made films, which I detest.

Even trying to crank out a CSI clone - it would be like if CSI was written by the writers of The Princess Switch - let's just take every damn cliche of this genre and run with it.

In the end my main issue is the writing - that takes something that AI doesn't have and I think it will take sometime before it does. It might eventually, but until then that is something that needs to be left to a human. You want to take a script and run it through a film generator - you probably get something useable. But AIs writing scripts - that will likely be trash.

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 9:09 AM, immamac said:

That’s how I feel about it, and I know very little about computers. To me AI means sentience, and I don’t think computers will ever accomplish true human like intelligence. It just seems to me that we’ve hit a point where the internet has enough material for inputs and computer power has become fast enough that it can absorb it all to create far more complex outputs than in the past. Like @captainron said, it’s not truly thinking, it’s just generating complex outputs based on a very large array of input materials. I can see having bots create scripts and visuals as a starting point but humans will need to fill in a lot of gaps. I’ve been part of some attempts to use chat gpt and that’s how it was used. One group I work with had it create a press release and it was a pretty good start, we worked with it and made it better, maybe saved us some hours, but it’s original output wasn’t sufficient to release without several edits.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

That’s how I feel about it, and I know very little about computers. To me AI means sentience, and I don’t think computers will ever accomplish true human like intelligence. It just seems to me that we’ve hit a point where the internet has enough material for inputs and computer power has become fast enough that it can absorb it all to create far more complex outputs than in the past. Like @captainron said, it’s not truly thinking, it’s just generating complex outputs based on a very large array of input materials. I can see having bots create scripts and visuals as a starting point but humans will need to fill in a lot of gaps. I’ve been part of some attempts to use chat gpt and that’s how it was used. One group I work with had it create a press release and it was a pretty good start, we worked with it and made it better, maybe saved us some hours, but it’s original output wasn’t sufficient to release without several edits.

You have described it perfectly. 

On 5/11/2024 at 5:29 PM, Hank Kingsley said:

They had a good run for 48 hours or so. 

Add in the disastrous commercial/campaign for the new iPad, are we seeing the beginning of the demise of Apple? Or maybe it's already happened, I don't know. 

I think Apple is running out of ideas for their next "IT" product. I don't see the Vision Pro as a failure because every product Apple makes is a step towards a smaller, integrated product later. The barrier to entry due to the high cost is the largest problem for the Vision Pro.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think Apple is running out of ideas for their next "IT" product. I don't see the Vision Pro as a failure because every product Apple makes is a step towards a smaller, integrated product later. The barrier to entry due to the high cost is the largest problem for the Vision Pro.

Maybe, but upon its release people were posting videos of all the features for a couple of days online. And then it just stopped and I haven't seen anything since. That doesn't seem like a cost issue. 

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Maybe, but upon its release people were posting videos of all the features for a couple of days online. And then it just stopped and I haven't seen anything since. That doesn't seem like a cost issue. 

Nerds are always going to buy new tech. Then they'll move on. Look at the Cybertruck. This isn't buying a new phone or iPad that has practical daily use utility. It's a $3000 toy for nerds that doesn't have a ton of every day applications for normal people. When this gets integrated somehow into your iPhone down the line with much smaller glasses, it will be worth it. The iPad getting thinner and showing you could still do lots of work with them led to super thin iMacs. 

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Nerds are always going to buy new tech. Then they'll move on. Look at the Cybertruck. This isn't buying a new phone or iPad that has practical daily use utility. It's a $3000 toy for nerds that doesn't have a ton of every day applications for normal people. When this gets integrated somehow into your iPhone down the line with much smaller glasses, it will be worth it. The iPad getting thinner and showing you could still do lots of work with them led to super thin iMacs. 

Right. And the success of future tech will be based on utility. Does anyone give a shit that iPads are getting thinner at this point? I mean, congratulations for making it super thin? 

Apple projected selling 800,000 Vision Pros in 2024. Now they are thinking closer to half that, which will include pending overseas rollout. 

This was the Google Trend data as of a few weeks ago

Apple-Vision-Pro-Google-Trends.webp

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mdmost said:

They need to make a damn folding iPhone already.  I don't want to switch to Samsung, but I want a folding phone.

Edited by kevwun
  • Drool 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:21 PM, Captain Ron said:

AI would try and load up Hallmark films with 9s and 10s instead of 6s, 7s, and 8s like Hallmark does.  AI would not understand why the leads can't be stunningly beautiful actresses (and actors) that would normally be supermodels or bonafide movie stars, because it wouldn't understand who Hallmark's target audiences are.  Sure, it can be fed a ton of data on what Hallmark's target audiences buy, post about, read, etc., but it's not going to understand that a movie about a single-mom with her kid, who has to move back to Buttfuck, Maine to take over her aunt's failing bakery, and who ends up falling in love with a local real estate developer who wants the building her aunt's bakery is in to turn it into hispster condos, has to focus on semi-attractive actors.  Nor will AI understand how what appears to be a town of 500 people can somehow support a dozen bakeries, nor will it understand why the real estate developer went from wanting to gut the building and load it up with hipsters to all of the sudden finding himself working in the bakery to help renovate it and make it successful, even though he knows he's going to lose out on millions and/or be fired.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 12:14 PM, wild_turkey said:

Perhaps this has been discussed, but the internet in general is a much worse place to navigate. Almost every webpage now requires you to acknowledge cookies, but the popups are sometimes slow to load and it delays your ability to start using the site. I think as a global society we should all come to an understanding that cookies are implied by being on the internet. And then once you get beyond the cookies, almost any website that sells stuff will try to get you to sign up for their emails to save 10% or whatever, so that's another popup to click through before you can use the page, even if you are already an established customer on the email list. It's ridiculous.

A lot of the cookie acknowledgement stuff is compliance or near-compliance with EU's GDPR.  But yeah,, the other shit is a pain in thee ass.

Edited by TwiceHorn
Dyslexics untie!

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

AI would try and load up Hallmark films with 9s and 10s instead of 6s, 7s, and 8s like Hallmark does.  AI would not understand why the leads can't be stunningly beautiful actresses (and actors) that would normally be supermodels or bonafide movie stars, because it wouldn't understand who Hallmark's target audiences are.  Sure, it can be fed a ton of data on what Hallmark's target audiences buy, post about, read, etc., but it's not going to understand that a movie about a single-mom with her kid, who has to move back to Buttfuck, Maine to take over her aunt's failing bakery, and who ends up falling in love with a local real estate developer who wants the building her aunt's bakery is in to turn it into hispster condos, has to focus on semi-attractive actors.  Nor will AI understand how what appears to be a town of 500 people can somehow support a dozen bakeries, nor will it understand why the real estate developer went from wanting to gut the building and load it up with hipsters to all of the sudden finding himself working in the bakery to help renovate it and make it successful, even though he knows he's going to lose out on millions and/or be fired.

Virtually all of the Hallmark actresses would give me a heart attack, I don’t know where you’re getting “6es” from. 

• Hook 'Em 3