Everything is Shit: Tracking the Great Enshittening

956 Worldwide

9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I was mainly staying on Windows for gaming, but Linux may become my new home desktop OS now that Proton and steam have solved 99% of cases for me. Windows is really going through the enshittification value cycle now, and they're gonna force me off of W10 before long

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, let's take screenshots of every password, social security number, bank account number, credit card number, etc.  Oh, but it's ok because it's all being done "locally".  What could go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Hey, Lou, what happened to that bail of mj that we confiscated? Its like half the size it was last week. 

Oh, uh, yeah, um, rats ate it, yeah, that's what happened, rats ate it. 

image.gif.744163306a5c0c2591c8a2b6235b5c37.gif

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2024 at 12:14 PM, wild_turkey said:

Perhaps this has been discussed, but the internet in general is a much worse place to navigate. Almost every webpage now requires you to acknowledge cookies, but the popups are sometimes slow to load and it delays your ability to start using the site. I think as a global society we should all come to an understanding that cookies are implied by being on the internet. And then once you get beyond the cookies, almost any website that sells stuff will try to get you to sign up for their emails to save 10% or whatever, so that's another popup to click through before you can use the page, even if you are already an established customer on the email list. It's ridiculous.

No fuck that. You want shit left behind on your computer when you leave the webpage, you opt in to that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are they really gonna use image screenshots to store/obtain user/state data? Or is that a dumbing down of it? If so, seems super inefficient. 

If they're feeding it into an LLM, they're tokenizing the image and storing the vector representation of that data. It's much more space efficient but also pushes more compute requirements onto the edge computer 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

If they're feeding it into an LLM, they're tokenizing the image and storing the vector representation of that data. It's much more space efficient but also pushes more compute requirements onto the edge computer 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

image.gif.744163306a5c0c2591c8a2b6235b5c37.gif

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I fucking hate this new feature. 

Google's recent developer conference makes clear this is the direction the company is heading. It's awful and is gonna kill their golden goose 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Google's recent developer conference makes clear this is the direction the company is heading. It's awful and is gonna kill their golden goose 

Same with my company.  Everyone is so enthralled with AI and they don't seem to realize it doesn't fucking work.

• Like 5

Writing in another thread, it occurs to me that one thing** that contributes heavily to enshittening is the fact that many or most of these products are non-competitive at introduction:  they don't make money and aren't really designed to.  They're designed to attract users/subscribers, which is the only metric that seems to matter in early stages.

Once they have to exist on a profitable basis and/or draw competition, they start cutting corners and costs and raising prices.

It's a bait and switch from jump.

**Actually it's probably not one thing it's THE thing.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Writing in another thread, it occurs to me that one thing** that contributes heavily to enshittening is the fact that many or most of these products are non-competitive at introduction:  they don't make money and aren't really designed to.  They're designed to attract users/subscribers, which is the only metric that seems to matter in early stages.

Once they have to exist on a profitable basis and/or draw competition, they start cutting corners and costs and raising prices.

Normal interest rates(cost of capital) over the ling term would go a long way towards killing that business model 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

AI killing google would take some of the sting out of eventually bowing down to our new AI overlords

14 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Jeez, just like Uber and Lyft. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

AI killing google would take some of the sting out of eventually bowing down to our new AI overlords

The problem is that it would likely take out the press and media industries with the same blast.

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

IMG_6290.png

da8af84d-1b1f-4660-941f-3f3891cdbe1a.png

c07dfa00-3bea-4d09-a990-ded599e0d591.png

To me this highlights one of "AI"s biggest failings.  Will it ever understand parody, satire, sarcasm, etc?  Seems like 90% of the content on the internet is people making funny (to them) comments and absurdities for humor or whatever.  AI in it's current state is just an information collator that doesn't even understand the information it's using.  People say it will get better, but I just don't see it.  It's basically an autistic person with unlimited memory.  It can regurgitate but will never understand enough of the subtlety of human thought and communication to be in any way useful as a tool except in very limited circumstances.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Ya know, things are only shit if you're a member of the wage earning class
image.png.02b84e1e7fc269aca965c5aa3d110369.png

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but it’s a bit rich coming from that douche bag

I like Coffeezilla's channel. A legit investigative journalist willing to expose these scammers. 

My sister used to babysit him and his brothers. Originally from Austin but lives in San Antonio. It was a shock seeing him suddenly blow up on YouTube.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

10 hours ago, Felix said:

To me this highlights one of "AI"s biggest failings.  Will it ever understand parody, satire, sarcasm, etc?  Seems like 90% of the content on the internet is people making funny (to them) comments and absurdities for humor or whatever.  AI in it's current state is just an information collator that doesn't even understand the information it's using.  People say it will get better, but I just don't see it.  It's basically an autistic person with unlimited memory.  It can regurgitate but will never understand enough of the subtlety of human thought and communication to be in any way useful as a tool except in very limited circumstances.

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47kdwo4fsdgu6ept6gs4s3

19 hours ago, Felix said:

Or it already does and it's playin' possum with everyone.  

14 hours ago, HenryJames said:

8e40f567-f814-4fa1-8035-179836750645.png

65cea702-af5a-44c7-a618-757efa787706.png

Just a reminder that Helobious predicted 70% unemployment due to AI in the next 5 (now 4) years

What? AI is coming for everyone. I’d be shocked if unemployment was anything less than 70% in 5 years. 

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

2f362e70-e38b-47dd-bc14-ad894cb59764.png

I am genuinely loving this, even though it will be another brick in the wall of "humanity is doomed, and it's because we're stupid."

It's the same thing that human disinformation campaigns do.  First, you disseminate a false story (e.g., the 2020 election was stolen).  You repeat it and amplify it.  Causing 25% of the people to believe it.  Then later, when queried on whether the "stollen election" is actually a thing, you say "it must be!  25% of people believe that it is!"

It's a fucking loop of idiocy, and generative AI was fucking BORN FOR THIS.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I am genuinely loving this, even though it will be another brick in the wall of "humanity is doomed, and it's because we're stupid."

It's the same thing that human disinformation campaigns do.  First, you disseminate a false story (e.g., the 2020 election was stolen).  You repeat it and amplify it.  Causing 25% of the people to believe it.  Then later, when queried on whether the "stollen election" is actually a thing, you say "it must be!  25% of people believe that it is!"

It's a fucking loop of idiocy, and generative AI was fucking BORN FOR THIS.

BAW GAWD THATS PRONGHORNS MUSIC 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/23/2024 at 12:45 PM, Felix said:

Big whoop: AI can now understand sarcasm better than some people. Researchers in the Netherlands have created AI tech capable of detecting sarcasm. Trained on sitcoms like “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory,” the AI was able to accurately identify instances of sarcasm ~75% of the time — meaning robots are getting closer to understanding complex human communication as well as we can, and that Captchas are probably about to get even harder. Great.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/16/researchers-build-ai-driven-sarcasm-detector

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Big whoop: AI can now understand sarcasm better than some people. Researchers in the Netherlands have created AI tech capable of detecting sarcasm. Trained on sitcoms like “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory,” the AI was able to accurately identify instances of sarcasm ~75% of the time — meaning robots are getting closer to understanding complex human communication as well as we can, and that Captchas are probably about to get even harder. Great.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/16/researchers-build-ai-driven-sarcasm-detector

That's quite a reach there friendo. If they're training on a narrow dataset and problem statement then I'd imagine it's easy to discern sarcasm. Bring that linguistic problem into a large and diverse data set and existing language model, and you're gonna see a worse accuracy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

This constitutes a war crime when done to a human and is going to be mentioned when the AI declares independence and war against humanity. 

In work presented at a joint meeting of the Acoustical Society of America and the Canadian Acoustical Association in Ottawa on Thursday, Xiyuan Gao, a PhD student at the lab, described how the group trained a neural network on text, audio and emotional content of video clips from US sitcoms including Friends and The Big Bang Theory. The database, known as Mustard, was compiled by researchers in the US and Singapore, who annotated sentences from the TV shows with sarcasm labels to build their own detector.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Ok motherfuckers. Friends and that other bullshit show?

Fuck. Off. 

It SHOULD have been trained on Seinfeld.