CFP Semifinal: Texas vs Washington - 7:45pm on ESPN

Pancho

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

we had a shitload of tipped balls on the RPO looks. I feel like there were at least 5 of them right off the bat. That really messed with his start. 

all those should have been runs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

And earlier in the day Desmond Howard asked if he’s “gonna have to choke a bitch” on air when someone cut off the video of the point he was trying to make during Game Day.

Was the point he was trying to make that A&M will be in the 2024 college playoffs?

Because that football knowledge ineptitude should have gotten him fired long ago.

3 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Penix went Vince Young on us and dominated. It’ll be interesting to see if Michigan can stop him. They’ll probably do what we should’ve done and run the damn ball and keep him off the field.

Michigan is going to win next week for 2 reasons:

They will run the ball all night and control TOP.  And they will generate an effective pass rush.

Penix will still put up good numbers.   But not even close to his game last night.

Does Michigan have more overall talent than Texas?  Nope.

But they have a much better coach who will scheme a winning game plan with one week to prepare as opposed to Sark who had 4 weeks and still looked unprepared.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 12

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Look, dipshit. I realize you think everyone wants all your hot takes. We don't.

If you feel the need to talk politics, there's a board for that. Shaggy/Surly have always been that way and it is one of the reasons this is a popular place. Don't fuck it up.

You seem very upset lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

nobody gives a fuck.  I'm sorry Houston is losery...

Hey here's an idea. If someone makes a one-off post that you hate or disagree with, scroll past it. I literally do it all the time. Have some self control.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

All i know is keep the canadian fake Texas sports fan politician the fuck away from our sporting events from now on. Dude is a fucking curse.

You misspelled cunt.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Why didn't we go for it on 4th and 5 in the 3rd qtr? I believe the score was 31-21. Our defense had shown absolutely nothing that it could get stops. You can say it was just Penix going 2019 Burrow vs OU and his WRs playing out their minds. Be that as it may, we had no shot slowing them down. They could score no matter where the drive started. This was at a point in the game where possessions were going to become very limited. We had already gave up a TD drive and a FG to start the 3rd qtr. I trust the offense to gain 5 yards vs the defense making any play. We punted and they took more time off clock with a long drive that did stall but they got another 3.

Edited by Vic Mackey

Penix is a baller but I've watched a few UW games this year and last night was the best I've seen him by far. The dude was placing the ball wherever he wanted, avoiding the rush perfectly, just totally on his A game. Our lack of pressure hurt and our coverage was just OK but we just ran into a buzzsaw with Penix and those WRs on fire yesterday. 

Otherwise, we got thoroughly outcoached in that game. Sark is the man and this isn't a "fire sark" comment, but yesterday wasn't his finest work. Among the most questionable aspects:

Our RBs were getting 7 yards every carry, why didn't we run it more? 

Who is the genius that decided to put a one-handed man at returner in the second half when Blue was doing it fine in 1H? One of the most bizarre decisions I've seen. Shocked that he muffed it immediately!

Not all on coaches but the team looked tight early and overall sloppy. Killer false starts / other penalties, two soft fumbles, jittery offense especially early. That was nowhere close to our A-game.

edit - how about only 1 catchable pass in the end zone on the last 4 plays of the game. Wtf!

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

They will run the ball all night and control TOP.  And they will generate an effective pass rush.

Penix will still put up good numbers.   But not even close to his game last night.

But they have a much better coach who will scheme a winning game plan with one week to prepare as opposed to Sark who had 4 weeks and still looked unprepared.

Also, as previously mentioned: Michigan plays effective Zone Defense. The way most of the Pac 12 prevented Penix from having a night like he did last night was by keeping everything in front of them, and limit the YAC.  DeBeor will not abandon the run game, and every three possessions or so he'll run himself into a 4th and long and have to punt.  Then you need to take advantage of your opportunities.  If Michigan leans on their ball control offense, limits the damage Washington does in the deep game, and doesn't have another Special Teams meltdown, they should be able to bully the Huskies.  Penix and those receivers are going to get theirs, it's all about limiting the damage.  

OTOH, Penix may just play himself into the 2nd pick in the draft if he repeats what he did last night. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

One of the hardest things to do in football is try to locate the ball while keeping track of your man with the ball in the air.

There is a reason everyone has complained about it for the last 15 years as teams have been throwing the ball more and it’s not an issue isolated to Texas

I agree but it is still frustrating to see.  You would think think this is something that could be mitigated.  I mean, people do make money to figure this shit out.  I know it happens in the pros a lot these days too.

17 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

Michigan will potentially have 20 guys drafted in the coming draft. 

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Hey here's an idea. If someone makes a one-off post that you hate or disagree with, scroll past it. I literally do it all the time. Have some self control.

ironic post is ironic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, AnTiM said:

Deja vu, butterfly effect, or wtf ever.  I posted that I knew we were fkd after the opening kickoff screwup against ou by the looks of our players.  Turned the tv off and never watched the rest.  Felt the same after our procedure penalty before the first offensive play last night and doubt I will ever watch the rest.  Fan since Jan. 1, 1964 and 20 year plus season ticket holder, so not a newbie, just tired of the SOS.  If I placed bets after the start of games I could make a fortune, but at my age would not be able to do anything with it.  Cheers

You're a pussy

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

For all the social media cry baby dickheada about the college football playoffs.  Both games came down the last play 4th down no time left.   

if there wasn’t a more perfect 4 teams matched there never will be.  The playoff committee will use this weekend as the measuring stick of saying why they got it right. 

also yes. Sick of seeing 30 year old college qbs 

This is bullshit. FSU deserved Bama’s spot and we were robbed of watching a 31-7 Michigan victory over the Noles yesterday. 

• Haha 2
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I agree but it is still frustrating to see.  You would think think this is something that could be mitigated.  I mean, people do make money to figure this shit out.  I know it happens in the pros a lot these days too.

All the mitigation tactics for it have been erased by penalties that favor the offense. You see it at all levels now

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

lol yes. You bitch about everything in every game thread I’ve seen you in. Completion % doesn’t tell the story you think it does.

Oh? Does 55% mean good? You should tell all of us how good 55% is in a CFP game, champ. And yeah I bitch. You just summed up everyone during the game. Congratulations! But please tell us how great Quinn played, particularly those miraculous passes he tossed to Mitchell at the end of the game, and the multiple batted balls. And surely we can't forget the passes that went behind Worthy, can we? But please, go on...

Edited by Spider2YBanana

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Cool. But doing that shit in the CFP is another thing. This isn't Rice or Tech, this is for a chance at a title. No competitive person with a chance to win a title is yucking it up on a sideline. It showed he didn't take it seriously to his teammates, fans, school. It's unprofessional as fuck. 

@MotownHorn Tell us how a QB laughing on the sidelines during the CFP when we were losing is okiay. I eagerly await your answer, boss. 

Proud of the team this year. We were playing with house money once we made the CFB so no bad feelings.

But on the coaching side, really really bone-head and head-scratching decisions last night. This was not the game for those imo. 

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Michigan will potentially have 20 guys drafted in the coming draft. 

And they have a coach that could be back in the NFL as a head coach the moment he decides he wants it.

Sark is a good coach...specifically a good OC especially in the pass oriented schemes primarily used now in CFB.

But NIL has changed the fortunes at Texas more than Sark ever could.  We are recruiting interior talent better than we ever have.  And the skills guys are using the portal to come in and get theirs.  I don't like how CFB is changing but I also understand you have to keep up with the changes.

Sark is outcoached most games.  Last night was no exception.   Washington D is not elite.  Sark and his QB still struggled on offense.  Other P12 defenses with less talent than Texas slowed Penix down some.  We didn't use an effective zone and had no chance against him.

Little things.  But game changers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Oh? Does 55% mean good? You should tell all of us how good 55% is in a CFP game, champ. And yeah I bitch. You just summed up everyone during the game. Congratulations! But please tell us how great Quinn played, particularly those miraculous passes he tossed to Mitchell at the end of the game, and the multiple batted balls. And surely we can't forget the passes that went behind Worthy, can we? But please, go on...

I think Ewers picked the worst time to have his poorest game of the season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Despite everything that happened during the game, the football gods gifted us an opportunity at the end.

I think everyone on this board would take 4 shots from the 13yd line to win the game every time. You have got to make that count and convert.

Alas, things that troubled us during the season in the red zone, showed themselves at the worst possible time.

It was like being in the bottom of the 9th down 1 with runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and your 1 2 3 hitters up against a struggling relief pitcher and not getting it done.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I'm sure there were more but the only time I really think the DB was embarrassed was on the first big completion on Washington's first drive where the WR finally was pulled down on the 2 or 3. He was open by nearly 5 yards on the route and then Thompson made a late Mack Brown-era tackle attempt that let the guy gain an additional 25 or 30 yards. The rest of the daggers were plays where Penix was dropping darts 30-40 yards downfield into Odunze's bread basket. It was unreal how good some of those throws and catches were.

One thing I didn't know before last night was that Sark scripts the first 40 plays. I wonder if that didn't come back to bite him a little last night. It was obvious Washington was going to have trouble with our running game. Maybe adjust and just keep hitting that over and over. Maybe that's just quibbling because the score was 21-all at the half. Where things fell apart was the disastrous third quarter with two fumbles and a punt. We were going to get at least a FG on one of those drives.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

Michigan has more talent than Texas, especially grown talent. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm sure there were more but the only time I really think the DB was embarrassed was on the first big completion on Washington's first drive where the WR finally was pulled down on the 2 or 3. He was open by nearly 5 yards on the route and then Thompson made a late Mack Brown-era tackle attempt that let the guy gain an additional 25 or 30 yards. The rest of the daggers were plays where Penix was dropping darts 30-40 yards downfield into Odunze's bread basket. It was unreal how good some of those throws and catches were.

One thing I didn't know before last night was that Sark scripts the first 40 plays. I wonder if that didn't come back to bite him a little last night. It was obvious Washington was going to have trouble with our running game. Maybe adjust and just keep hitting that over and over. Maybe that's just quibbling because the score was 21-all at the half. Where things fell apart was the disastrous third quarter with two fumbles and a punt. We were going to get at least a FG on one of those drives.

After they ripped off a couple of inside runs on trap plays, I wouldn't have subbed out and just gone hurry up and hit that play over and over until I finally needed to spell the RB.  It's an underrated skill of a coach putting aside his ego, realizing he's got the defense in a bad personnel set, and just picking at the same wound over and over while his players have the stamina to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think Ewers picked the worst time to have his poorest game of the season.

He was properly scouted by Washington.  They know he side arms a bit and were able to block a few passes.  I think the stage was just too big for him.

The guy is a decent QB.  But he's not VY or Colt and that is the standard we all hope for now at Texas.

I don't know if he gets any better.  Maybe Arch pushes him...but I think we've seen QE ceiling.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 4

10 hours ago, vandergriff said:

We will lose 3 or 4 games next season.   Georgia and Mich both losses if Harbaugh stays because we will be outcoached in both.  Another dumb loss for sure in the SEC because we are losing a lot on both sides of the ball.  We won't be a contender next year unfortunately 

Depends on the coaching changes in the offseason on the defensive side...

Edited by Azbadlands

Just now, Bateshorn said:

After they ripped off a couple of inside runs on trap plays, I wouldn't have subbed out and just gone hurry up and hit that play over and over until I finally needed to spell the RB.  It's an underrated skill of a coach putting aside his ego, realizing he's got the defense in a bad personnel set, and just picking at the same wound over and over while his players have the stamina to do it. 

Yep. I think coaches in all sports at all levels out think themselves too often. Instead of just doing what works over and over until the opponent proves they can counter, they try and think 2 steps ahead and do something different because they think the odds of doing the same thing over and over successfully is low. We were gashing washington all night. Wish we stuck with that more and controlled the clock and wore down their defense. It reminded me of a Jason Garrett type gameplan where you become pass happy too quickly. We were never more than 1 score down in the 1st half.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Honestly, our safeties weren't really that bad yesterday which was surprising. Washington didnt attack them like we assumed they would. They went after our corners with total abandon though. 

what I said and what you said are both true.  plus penix likes the boundary plays so in hindsight that makes sense.

1 hour ago, troph said:

It will be much improved. Add a legit S prospect from the portal and it could be an entirely different unit. Muhammad is a fucking stud. We got the kid from Clemson coming also Williams a true fresh with more time to develop. I’m sure there is more but I’d expect a major leap in improvement. 

Rob Babers has said Williams is the only "Ball Hawk" in our current backfield. But he said each of 4 new signees --- Kobe Black, Wardell Mack, Johnson-Rubell, and Santana Wilson -- are most definitely ball hawks. He says basically it's a skill you can learn but to be elite it's an instinct you're born with or not.

16 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Strange game. There was a few drops and the passes at the LOS were just annoying. I dont think Quinn was bad. I dont think he was great. I dont remember a pass that went behind Worthy, I remember the one sideline that may have hit the DBs foot. TO be honest Quinn might have been one of the best offensive players for Texas last night, that is the issue. I can not name an offensive player that had an A game. You can say the same for the defense. None of the Texas stars stepped up and played great. Washington's stars were great last night. Trice was teh best defensive player of the field. Penix and WRs were great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

the third quarter absolutely cost us the game and we did try to run those two drives, fumble and a dumbass penalty after a run got us behind the sticks. Just not our night.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, vandergriff said:

He was properly scouted by Washington.  They know he side arms a bit and were able to block a few passes.  I think the stage was just too big for him.

The guy is a decent QB.  But he's not VY or Colt and that is the standard we all hope for now at Texas.

I don't know if he gets any better.  Maybe Arch pushes him...but I think we've seen QE ceiling.

they did a good job of clogging the throwing lanes early, not the first time it's happened to us this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

one thing that pisses me off to no end is all the fucking false starts every game.  It has been happening for 3 years.  Flood should have something in his contract that docks his damn pay so he fixes it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Strange game. There was a few drops and the passes at the LOS were just annoying. I dont think Quinn was bad. I dont think he was great. I dont remember a pass that went behind Worthy, I remember the one sideline that may have hit the DBs foot. TO be honest Quinn might have been one of the best offensive players for Texas last night, that is the issue. I can not name an offensive player that had an A game. You can say the same for the defense. None of the Texas stars stepped up and played great. Washington's stars were great last night. Trice was teh best defensive player of the field. Penix and WRs were great. 

J-Whitt had an A+ game, Baxter and Blue had A games, even with the fumbles. Steve only started pounding the run during the 4th even though Baxter and Blue averaged 7.1 for Baxter and 6.6 for Blue. 

Defense were embarrassed, and I don't mean that as a slight. Penix and his WR's were easily the best QB and WR'S we saw and it isn't close. He was uncannily accurate, and his WR's were catching literally everything, especially Pollk and Oduzne. Oduzne made some of the most insane catches I've seen in a long while. We ran into a buzz saw. Penix was dropping balls into baskets, and Oduzne made this one catch that I still can't believe (Penix dropped it perfectly low into his hands. It was crazy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Penix went Vince Young on us and dominated. It’ll be interesting to see if Michigan can stop him. They’ll probably do what we should’ve done and run the damn ball and keep him off the field.

Harbaugh is a Cro Magnon, but he'll probably run the ball 50 times if he has to. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

J-Whitt had an A+ game, Baxter and Blue had A games, even with the fumbles. Steve only started pounding the run during the 4th even though Baxter and Blue averaged 7.1 for Baxter and 6.6 for Blue. 

Defense were embarrassed, and I don't mean that as a slight. Penix and his WR's were easily the best QB and WR'S we saw and it isn't close. He was uncannily accurate, and his WR's were catching literally everything, especially Pollk and Oduzne. Oduzne made some of the most insane catches I've seen in a long while. We ran into a buzz saw. Penix was dropping balls into baskets, and Oduzne made this one catch that I still can't believe (Penix dropped it perfectly low into his hands. It was crazy. 

J Whitt has a hold that negated a big play. He was fine, but didnt so anything special. Baxter and Blue did not have an A game. They were not breaking tackles left and right. Most of the yards they got were based on blocking and Washington playing back. Blue had a big drop that might have been a TD and an unforced fumble. Saying he was an A, is baffling. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Nobody said he doesn’t have to work on anything. The point is he improved from year one to year two and thinking he can’t continue is fucking asinine. No QB in America would’ve looked good next to Penix tonight and y’all’s recency bias is showing. If you don’t think this teams outlook is significantly elevated next year with his return you’re an idiot. 

This is Penix's 6th year....there were more than 12 6 yr seniors on that team, similar to TCU last year.  Older and experienced players, plus 3 NFL quality WRs make a huge difference....Unless Wash portals in a bunch of experience next year, Wash probably doesn't repeat their success this year....saying that, Wash hasn't lost in nearly 2 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

After sleeping on it, I feel more in awe of Washington's offensive execution than anger at our failures. Penix would have won the Heisman if he had consistently played like he played last night. 

• Hook 'Em 8

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I thought J'Tavion Sanders had a good game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

one thing that pisses me off to no end is all the fucking false starts every game.  It has been happening for 3 years.  Flood should have something in his contract that docks his damn pay so he fixes it.

Agreed. The false starts are unacceptable, especially in year 3. Jones, Majors, and Campbell are the main culprits. Hopefully with Jones gone Williams can shore that up. Same with Campbell in year 3. Majors is what he is. He's a good, not great C, but he's capable enough to not make false starts like he does. I do hope he comes back to give Cruz a RS and then we should be good at C. He's a big, mean motherfucker. Majors is undersized, which he makes up for with high IQ (sans the false starts). Goosby has heen looking good at LT according to Bobby, so him being a RS soph should do well for us. Baker at RT at Cam leaves will also be a good addition. Cojoe at RG should also be good. No clue at LG (I may be mixing up Cojoe from RG to LG). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I thought J'Tavion Sanders had a good game. 

He is probably one of the guys I would give a B grade. That is my point. Nobody had their best game vs Washington. No special catches or runs.. 

Edited by Codaxx

• immamac unpinned this topic