Texas Football Roster 2024 -- "You never lose a game if the opponent doesn’t score" DKR

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Don’t get me wrong- I love Ford and think he was a great, steady leader at LB but I feel like he dropped off a little from last year and didn’t make as many great plays as he did when he was a junior. I’m hoping there will be no significant drop off next year.

Recently reported that Ford played with an injury during part of this past season

(Might have been some type of hernia injury)

2 hours ago, Hard Times said:

DT will be much worse unless Sark nabs something in the portal. Robinson now wants out of his LOI and January was the only other take. Need to get Davis replaced and get to work.

There was an interesting comment made by Burton on his show this morning. He said that Davis didn't exactly leave the cupboards stacked with players who were ready to go at the DT spot. It makes me wonder if he just spent all of his time on two or three guys throughout the season. I am not creating revisionist history, but I wonder if losing Davis won't be as impactful as some think in the long term if we can get another good developer in the boat. 

Edited by Vertigo

15 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There was an interesting comment made by Burton on his show this morning. He said that Davis didn't exactly leave the cupboards stacked with players who were ready to go at the DT spot. It makes me wonder if he just spent all of his time on two or three guys throughout the season. I am not creating revisionist history, but I wonder if losing Davis won't be as impactful as some think in the long term if we can get another good developer in the boat. 

That just seems like an odd characterization. The cupboard is based on multiple recruiting cycles, early nfl entries and other natural attrition. We also had a generous dt rotation throughout the year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Don’t get me wrong- I love Ford and think he was a great, steady leader at LB but I feel like he dropped off a little from last year and didn’t make as many great plays as he did when he was a junior. I’m hoping there will be no significant drop off next year.

I’m probably his biggest critic, but you’re largely looking at it from a stats standpoint. The hidden big plays are 3rd down stops. He was more effective here this year. Even versus UW, he made important tackles that were sorta non-descript. His overall tackles were down because the guys up front took more away. He missed fewer tackles.

Turnovers are a different deal. Fumbles recovered is largely out of a players control. For most fumbles caused is a bit of fortune rather concerted effort. Interceptions are more under the players control but still dependent on other factors including drops.

I never see it referenced in critique of PK is walking up our LB to the end of the LOS. I’m not sure it ever worked. Oline engagement is not Fords strongsuit. He was better this year on his physical game in my opinion.
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

That just seems like an odd characterization. The cupboard is based on multiple recruiting cycles, early nfl entries and other natural attrition. We also had a generous dt rotation throughout the year. 

Bo only had 2 classes here.. 

2021- Bryon Murphy.. that is just before Bo got to Texas. 

2022- His 1st class... Ross (gone), Bledsoe, Bryant, and Swanson... Bledsoe has flashed. Texas needs Bryant to take a leap

2023- Sydir Mitchell. We shall see there

The 22 and 23 guys may make the necessary leap, but right now its hard to look at those classes and say the cupboard in full. 

Edited by Codaxx

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

RB: I don’t think you watched the bowl game if you think there’s no drop off from Brooks. He’s significantly better than what we have returning. 

DE: no chance it’s same. We added one of the top edges in the portal with Trey Moore and we have 5 star Collin Simmons coming in while returning everyone from last year. 

DB: DB is significantly improved. Mukuba is a huge addition that will let us play 2 safeties with speed, and Williams, Muhammad, and Brooks will all be developing. We’re also adding 2 freshman who were ranked top 50 nationally. 

The RB's averaged 7.1 and 6.6 ypc in the bowl game.  They didn't get a ton of carries because we were passing a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I never see it referenced in critique of PK is walking up our LB to the end of the LOS. I’m not sure it ever worked. Oline engagement is not Fords strongsuit. He was better this year on his physical game in my opinion.

We definitely need an in depth “LB Mugging” thread. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

The RB's averaged 7.1 and 6.6 ypc in the bowl game.  They didn't get a ton of carries because we were passing a lot.

They also showed bad vision and failed to maximize plays while fumbling twice and losing us the game. I’m not saying they’re terrible, but they’re a clear step back from Brooks, who was probably the best RB in the country this year. No way you can say the RB room is equal to last year’s. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They also showed bad vision and failed to maximize plays while fumbling twice and losing us the game. I’m not saying they’re terrible, but they’re a clear step back from Brooks, who was probably the best RB in the country this year. No way you can say the RB room is equal to last year’s. 

I actually think they will be better than Brooks by himself. We were very dependent on Brooks and dont forget that Brooks had a really bad fumble against K State. I think they will sort out the fumble issues and we will have a home run hitter in Blue and a reliable every down back in Baxter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I actually think they will be better than Brooks by himself. We were very dependent on Brooks and dont forget that Brooks had a really bad fumble against K State. I think they will sort out the fumble issues and we will have a home run hitter in Blue and a reliable every down back in Baxter. 

RB is always tough. That is a position that young players can come in and star early.. I would rather have a healthy Brooks, but even that is not a given if he came back. This past year Texas threw the ball to open up the run, so they were never really dependent on the run game. With Quinn back and portal pickups at WR, I am guessing that will be the case this upcoming year. RBs had high YPC vs Washington, because Washington focused on the passing game. Wasington was not the only defense to do that vs Texas, that really helped the run game in 2023. I am guessing that will be the case in 2024, so I am not going to get worried about the RB position. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

RB is always tough. That is a position that young players can come in and star early.. I would rather have a healthy Brooks, but even that is not a given if he came back. This past year Texas threw the ball to open up the run, so they were never really dependent on the run game. With Quinn back and portal pickups at WR, I am guessing that will be the case this upcoming year. RBs had high YPC vs Washington, because Washington focused on the passing game. Wasington was not the only defense to do that vs Texas, that really helped the run game in 2023. I am guessing that will be the case in 2024, so I am not going to get worried about the RB position. 

I also think how "good" a RB is depends a lot on how good the OL is. The all time rushing leader in NFL history, Emmitt Smith, benefitted hugely from having the best OL in the league year in and year out.  I don't think he was the best pure running back to ever play.  If you have a good run blocking OL you could put just about anyone back there and they could average 4 ypc.

7 hours ago, Hard Times said:

DT will be much worse unless Sark nabs something in the portal. Robinson now wants out of his LOI and January was the only other take. Need to get Davis replaced and get to work.

We still have Melvin Hills.  Won't arrive until summer, so won't be a guy that'll make an impact.  Mitchell, Bryant, and Bledsoe need to make a leap this spring.  Mitchell and Bryant could very well be the top two guys at the 1-tech/NG spot.  Collins, Broughton, and Bledsoe at the other.

Really hoping we can grab an IDL (or 2) during the spring portal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Robinson was never going to contribute this year. January might, Hills needs a lot of time to develop.

He's from Louisiana, so hopefully he doesn't eventually follow Bo to LSU as well.

Edited by Atticus

On 1/15/2024 at 12:28 PM, Ojo Rojo said:

Based on gained experience, young guys slotting in and transfers, here is how I see the position groups comparing '23 to '24:

QB - better; Ewers should benefit from another year in the system.  Manning > Murphy as backup.

RB - same; Brooks was better than expected, but Baxter and Blue looked good when he went down.  No dropoff.

WR - same; I thought losing Worthy and Mitchell would be the biggest hit along with DL, but now with Golden and Bond I see virtually no dropoff.

OL - better; should be the strength of the team with much experience returning.

TE - worse; losing JT hurts and no one clearly able to pick up his touches.  Might be better as a run-blocking group though.

DL - worse; losing Sweat and Murphy hurts.  They were the strength of the team this year.  Hard to replace two NFL guys.

LB - worse; Ford was really good. Hard to replace.

DE - same; Sorrell was really good, but I like the guys we have to replace him.

DB - same; lots of attrition here, but also the ability to reload.  We looked to be very thin at safety until we landed Mukuba.  Barron coming back is huge.

Overall, our offense should be the same or better.  Our defense probably worse, especially at stopping the run. We will make the playoff and should do some damage.  We have a team that is good enough to give us a chance to win it all if the cards fall right.

Agree?  Disagree? I'm a dumbfuck?

I agree with all of that except DB should be better imo 

Good post

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

RB: I don’t think you watched the bowl game if you think there’s no drop off from Brooks. He’s significantly better than what we have returning. 

I agree that our RBS didn't look as good as Brooks in that game this year.

The thing you're overlooking imo is they will be a year older/stronger/wiser/better next season. I like the RB room.

Edited by MotownHorn

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/18/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon    UNLV
  • WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • WR   Isaiah Neyor    CORN
  • QB    Maalik Murphy    DUKE
  • OL/DL  Sawyer Goram-Welch  Coastal Carolina
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • DL      Trill Carter             AwwBrrnn
  • S        Jerrin Thompson   AwwBrrnn
  • S        Kitan Crawford        Nevada
  • QB      Charles Wright       AppState

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Tracking Portal Destinations (Update 1/18/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon    UNLV
  • WR   Casey Cain       UNLV
  • WR   Isaiah Neyor    CORN
  • QB    Maalik Murphy    DUKE
  • OL/DL  Sawyer Goram-Welch  Coastal Carolina
  • DL      Kris Ross
  • DL      Trill Carter             AwwBrrnn
  • S        Jerrin Thompson   AwwBrrnn
  • S        Kitan Crawford        Nevada
  • QB      Charles Wright       AppState

Good luck to him. In the Big XII CG Okie lite was driving to put themselves within a score of us and he had an absolutely incredible diving interception on Bowman's deep ball that took the wind right out of their sails and never had any momentum going forward. Hook em, Kitan!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Good luck to him. In the Big XII CG Okie lite was driving to put themselves within a score of us and he had an absolutely incredible diving interception on Bowman's deep ball that took the wind right out of their sails and never had any momentum going forward. Hook em, Kitan!

That was a huge play at that time in the game.  Good luck to the young man.  Wish he would have stayed here.

19 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

That was a huge play at that time in the game.  Good luck to the young man.  Wish he would have stayed here.

Kitan needs more development and playing time at safety... wasn't gonna get that at Texas.  Tremendous special teams player for Texas.

Thanks and Good Luck Kitan !!! 🤘

28 minutes ago, Enemy07 said:

4 offensive skill players predicted to go in the 1st 2 rounds. Very slim chance we will ever see this type of offensive talent in our lifetime again. If only we had a better...

I’m pretty sure Alabama and some other schools have done that more then a few times.  I certainly hope we see it again in the next few years.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

I’m pretty sure Alabama and some other schools have done that more then a few times.  I certainly hope we see it again in the next few years.  

Yes. That is the only comparison I have. But for any school to achieve what Alabama did would be a rare occurence. But, I am talking about Texas. When have we ever done that?

2 hours ago, Enemy07 said:

Yes. That is the only comparison I have. But for any school to achieve what Alabama did would be a rare occurence. But, I am talking about Texas. When have we ever done that?

Ohio state and OU under Riley did it regularly as well, it’s not as rare as you make it seem.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

Ohio state and OU under Riley did it regularly as well, it’s not as rare as you make it seem.

You are going to make me do my own research huh? Which 4 offensive "skill" players from OU and OHIO st went recently or in th epast 10 years went the first two rounds? You can tell me the years and I can look it up myself. I quoted skill becuase I am referring to WRs, RBs, and TEs. No QBs or OLs.

7 hours ago, Enemy07 said:

4 offensive skill players predicted to go in the 1st 2 rounds. Very slim chance we will ever see this type of offensive talent in our lifetime again. If only we had a better...

Stop being a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

You are going to make me do my own research huh? Which 4 offensive "skill" players from OU and OHIO st went recently or in th epast 10 years went the first two rounds? You can tell me the years and I can look it up myself. I quoted skill becuase I am referring to WRs, RBs, and TEs. No QBs or OLs.

Well timing will make that difficult cause they all have to be draft eligible.

Here’s my burning question. What kinda dipshits thought this was a 8 win team heading into the preseason? With all this talent.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Well timing will make that difficult cause they all have to be draft eligible.

Here’s my burning question. What kinda dipshits thought this was a 8 win team heading into the preseason? With all this talent.

Lots. The same crowd that thought 2022 was a 5-7 team with an absolute ceiling at 6 or 7. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

How has Kris Ross not found a school?

I would think that someone would be willing to take a risk on DL talent. 

Is he going to stick around until he gets his degree?

Interior DL who only weighs 263

Not twitchy enough to move outside to edge 

The same knocks keeping him off the field here would be a thing anywhere 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Enemy07 said:

I’m not going to go look it up, but I’d guess that it is going to become significantly more prevalent in the era of the portal/NIL. 

57 minutes ago, Nope said:

Interior DL who only weighs 263

Not twitchy enough to move outside to edge 

The same knocks keeping him off the field here would be a thing anywhere 

Is this a bit? Do you actually watch the games? 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

Kris Ross was moved to Edge before getting kicked off the team. He was certainly one of the twitchier if not the twitchiest guy we had at that position last year. Long arms to boot. 

He probably didn't have the best references leaving here, but you'd think someone would have taken a flyer on him if he was actively pursuing other options.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Is this a bit? Do you actually watch the games? 

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. 

Kris Ross was moved to Edge before getting kicked off the team. He was certainly one of the twitchier if not the twitchiest guy we had at that position last year. Long arms to boot. 

He probably didn't have the best references leaving here, but you'd think someone would have taken a flyer on him if he was actively pursuing other options.

If that happened I missed it. And I watched every game. Sorry I let you down.