2024 NFL Playoffs - Wild Card Weekend

TrashMaster G

The path for Dallas to get to the nfc championship looks pretty good esp with home field. Sf path even easier with the eagles going full suck the last 6 weeks. 

For the afc, I want to see the browns ravens as I think those afc north games are always slugfests. I don't think any of the other teams give Baltimore any real problems. Kc is not the same team they have been.

As far as who goes to the superbowl, I'm gonna say 49ers for nfc as no one can touch them. Dallas is gonna Dallas. For the afc, I think the browns upset the ravens and Buffalo comes out of there as long as Josh Allen stops turning the ball over so much. 

49ers win it all. 

Posted (edited)

I binged the Dolphins Hard Knocks over the last week and was rooting for them last night. My impression in watching however, was that they didn't have enough bad asses on that team. Everyone seems too damn nice for them to win it all. Combine that with half their team being injured and it seems likely to be a one and done.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

If rams beat the lions, they will be a tough matchup for their Rd 2 opponent -- no way the 49ers want to play them again.
Yep Rams might be the hottest team going into the playoffs. I think they can beat the Lions. This should be a great game.
  • Like 1

I binged the Dolphins Hard Knocks over the last week and was rooting for them last night. My impression in watching however, was that they didn't have enough bad asses on that team. Everyone seems too damn nice for them to win it all. Combine that with half their team being injured and it seems likely to be a one and done.

Everyone shits on Dallas for not being able to beat a winning team but this was also Miami. They got blown out by Philly and SF. Fell apart at the end of the year and big weapons on offense hurt. Tyreek is playing but he's definitely not 100%.

I know KC isn't the same as years past but I think they beat Miami at home.

42 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Everyone shits on Dallas for not being able to beat a winning team but this was also Miami. They got blown out by Philly and SF. Fell apart at the end of the year and big weapons on offense hurt. Tyreek is playing but he's definitely not 100%.

I looked at their schedule during the show and the Dallas win is the most impressive. Everything else that's been a big matchup they've lost. 

Remember Vince and "we own the Cotton Bowl" locker room? Miami seems the opposite of that.

Irritated about the Peacock game.  Don't want to sign up for $5.99/month.  Yet, I paid $30 for a month of Flosports (twice!) to watch the worst college baseball production in history.

But its a great matchup on a Saturday night and my kids will kill me if I don't.

• Hook 'Em 1

NBC: Subscribe to our shitass Peacock channel if you want to watch this primetime NFL playoff game

Me:     Wrong.gif.0b5d64f80ff198b073ff9bc6a2dce93e.gif

I'd gladly watch it on NBC, but go fuck yourself and your peacock as there's only about 2 dozen streaming websites that will be offering high quality streams.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Irritated about the Peacock game.  Don't want to sign up for $5.99/month.  Yet, I paid $30 for a month of Flosports (twice!) to watch the worst college baseball production in history.
But its a great matchup on a Saturday night and my kids will kill me if I don't.
Xfinity internet and Instacart offer free subs if you have those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

At what point is the Super Bowl going to be shown exclusively on streaming, 10 years?

That’s when it’s time to stop paying any attention to the NFL. 

A fool and his money are soon parted!

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

8 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's gonna be about 7-10 degrees at kickoff on Saturday night in KC.....have fun with that Miami.

Miami is absolutely going to regret losing Sunday night. The Saturday forecast:

Miami: 75/60 - rain

Kansas City: 14/-3 - wind (the game kicks off after sundown)

I’m not sure Miami scores double digits. 

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

At what point is the Super Bowl going to be shown exclusively on streaming, 10 years?

5 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

That’s when it’s time to stop paying any attention to the NFL. 

A fool and his money are soon parted!

Are you watching the National Title game? Used to be on OTA TV now on pay cable. 

There are a ton of events that have moved from OTA channels and are now on pay TV. Maybe not PPV, but ESPN isn't free.

I don't think the NFL will move to streaming. The fact that only 1 of the services has figured out how to really monetize the medium really makes that a hard thing to spend for the Super Bowl only to lock it behind a paywall.

Now the idea of moving the Super Bowl to ESPN could have some legs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

A weekend of reunions

Stafford going to Detroit
Goff vs Rams
McCarthy vs the Packers
Tyreek Hill going to KC.

How many baby mommas does Tyreek have in KC?

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

Bills -9.5 over the Steelers is intetesting, imo. 

Forecast is 17 degrees and snow. Could be entertaining. 

10 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Are you watching the National Title game? Used to be on OTA TV now on pay cable. 

There are a ton of events that have moved from OTA channels and are now on pay TV. Maybe not PPV, but ESPN isn't free.

I don't think the NFL will move to streaming. The fact that only 1 of the services has figured out how to really monetize the medium really makes that a hard thing to spend for the Super Bowl only to lock it behind a paywall.

Now the idea of moving the Super Bowl to ESPN could have some legs.

Likely not the entire NFL, but it's starting with games being shown on NFL Network, Prime, and now Peacock?!

I can understand Thursday night games. I'm super surprised about showing a playoff game -- and a decent one at that -- on Peacock. 

I think it's a huge mistake honestly, but they know better than I do. If Chiefs/Dolphins was OTA, I'd 100% watch. I'm not going to sign up for Peacock.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Peacock paid $110M for the rights to 2 exclusive games with a WC game being 1 of them. That’s a pretty nice chunk of change. 
On the plus side, the 4th quarter and any overtime will be commercial free. 

What? Really? That actually does pique my interest.

23 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think someone shoud do a deep dive into each team in the playoffs and see:

• Their record vs above .500 teams (and what teams those are)
  • Their record vs teams in the playoffs (and what teams those are)
  • Maybe some other important H2H views of each team

If I had more time right now I would do it (maybe later if not done), but it shouldn't be too hard to pull up.

Peacock paid $110M for the rights to 2 exclusive games with a WC game being 1 of them. That’s a pretty nice chunk of change. 

For the players that’s roughly $32k per player that goes into the cap bucket. Obviously won’t split like that, more like $29k for the qb and $3k for the other 52 guys but still.

I guess it’s on ota in Miami and KC. I thought they had a WC game on peacock last year but I’ve been huffing glue again. I hope Goodell gets inundated in all the angry viewer calls, where’s the fucking game? What’s peacock?

I think someone shoud do a deep dive into each team in the playoffs and see:
  • Their record vs above .500 teams (and what teams those are)
  • Their record vs teams in the playoffs (and what teams those are)
  • Maybe some other important H2H views of each team
If I had more time right now I would do it (maybe later if not done), but it shouldn't be too hard to pull up.
Thing is, Dallas did beat 3 playoff teams. At the time, the Rams looked like garbage when Dallas beat them. And Dallas handled them as such with a blowout win. But Rams might be the hottest team coming into the playoffs.

Dallas destroyed Philly at home and beat Detroit in a close one.

Seattle also wasn't a terrible team. They had the same record as Green Bay who made the playoffs but just didn't get the tie breaker to get in..

The playoffs teams Dallas lost to were SF, Philly, Miami and Detroit. Looked terrible in 2 of those and could have easily won the other 2. All of those were on the road. The ones they won were at home.

Dallas is night and day different in all phases at home vs road. They have no excuses not to break that NFC championship game drought of nearly 30 years. If they can't do it this year with getting the first 2 games at home, then I don't see any hope with this core of coaches and players moving forward.

Rams coming back to beat SF helped Dallas. It got them Green Bay instead of the Rams. We'll see if the Green Bay mojo against Dallas still holds now that Rodgers isn't there.

Should be a good slate of games this round.

For the players that’s roughly $32k per player that goes into the cap bucket. Obviously won’t split like that, more like $29k for the qb and $3k for the other 52 guys but still.

I guess it’s on ota in Miami and KC. I thought they had a WC game on peacock last year but I’ve been huffing glue again. I hope Goodell gets inundated in all the angry viewer calls, where’s the fucking game? What’s peacock?

Huge Lions fan here (50 loooooong years).  This game is going to be off the hook.  45-42...last team with the ball wins.

Rams' biggest weakness is special teams, so Lions need to score a special teams TD to win it I think.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TejasPedro said:

Which is a better job, Titans or Falcons?

Leaning Falcons, but  those owners damn!

Give me the roster with Bijan, Pitts and London over Levis and aging Hopkins and Henry 

I think the NBC games are always simulcasted on Peacock such as the SNF games or playoffs but never exclusively like this year. Yes, it will be OTA for the KC and Miami markets.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:26 AM, Vic Mackey said:

No one sucks off Miami as real contenders like cowboy dorks though. Didn’t matter it’s Ravens vs 49ers in the anyway

4 hours ago, Minute Bull said:

Huge Lions fan here (50 loooooong years).  This game is going to be off the hook.  45-42...last team with the ball wins.

Rams' biggest weakness is special teams, so Lions need to score a special teams TD to win it I think.

I really don't understand this phrase. People tend to use it in reference to an offensive shootout, one where teams are alternating scores, unable to make any defensive stops. But, if this is the case, doesn't the last team with the ball find themselves behind because the other team just scored?

Regular season did quite well.

NFL regular-season games averaged 17.9 million viewers in 2023, tied for the second highest since averages were first tracked in 1995.

Buoyed by increases of at least 24% in two of the five packages, the first year of the league's new television contracts saw a total increase of 7% from last season.

The highest average on record is 18.1 million from the 2015 season.

Hans Schroeder, the league's executive vice president of media distribution, pointed to the number of teams still alive for the postseason going into the final two weeks along with close games throughout the 18-week regular season. Of the 272 games, 113 were decided by six or fewer points, the second-most in league history.

Over the past two seasons, 55.8% of games have been within one score (eight points).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39277615/nfl-averages-179m-viewers-2023-7-previous-year