Bill Ackman

Neonmoon

In this edition of a hilarious FAFO story, corporate raider and recent loon Bill Ackman 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/09/business/to-save-free-speech-bill-ackman-lashes-out-at-journalists-and-higher-ed/index.html

The Fucking Around

1. Bill Ackman fights to get Harvard's first Black president, Claudine Gay, ousted due to accusations of antisemitism and plagiarism

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/03/bill-ackman-billionaire-attacks-claudine-gay-harvard-twitter-x

Seen in this bizarre novel he posted on Twitter against DEI. 

2. Claudine Gay resigns

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/business/claudine-gay-harvard-president-resigns/index.html

CNN spoke with two plagiarism experts about new allegations of plagiarism against Gay, as first reported by the conservative publication, the Washington Free Beacon.

Both said elements of Gay’s 2001 article, “The Effect of Minority Districts and Minority Representation on Political Participation in California,” constituted plagiarism.

Several sentences from scholar David T. Canon’s 1999 book appear in Gay’s article.  But Gay failed to use quotation marks or cite the work in two passages. His end notes are almost verbatim in her footnotes.

Canon told CNN on Tuesday: “I am not at all concerned about the passages in the Free Beacon article concerning my work. Both Dr. Gay and I are defining basic terms. Good definitions of these terms would have to use similar language or they would not be accurate. This isn’t even close to an example of academic plagiarism.”

But experts noted that the feelings of the author are not a factor when assessing a case of potential plagiarism.

The Finding Out Part

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/04/business/bill-ackman-wife-plagiarism/index.html

image.png.20c0b4922244d37e7c6be5556aa72159.png

Bill Ackman precedes to melt down

image.thumb.png.6a23e85243e7142382604f0e6040210b.png

image.png.11fbea8ae6c0e0b67b6a4356d399b8bf.png

image.thumb.png.126e116f1c6c403ce18513c948a88d91.png

image.thumb.png.fefed2715e9530441517da7e0a4bcf3c.png

image.thumb.png.09da04b609822df6841ca64b64b823ed.png

Apparently when rich white people don't get their way, they are very upset and want to end wokeness

image.thumb.png.bda6dc1543e3c812ded6832eef663bfc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

This has definitely been the funniest Twitter has been in some time. Ackman is definitely doing his part to demonstrate that immense wealth isn't an indicator of any sort of intelligence or merit.  

His wife is a smokeshow, though. Whatever problems she has that led her to plagiarize Wikipedia, I'm sure I can fix her.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Cross posting. Critics of Ackerman are being banned on Twitter.

9 minutes ago, Chopper said:

lol it all seems to be tied to anyone who's critized a notoriously hypocritical friend of elmo ... anyway, no sympathy from me for anyone still on that site.

image.thumb.png.98ce6abda023f238b97939253371fed3.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Are all the plagiarism charges flying back and forth still only citations weren't done correctly or has actual claiming of others work been found?  The misrepresenting of the level of plagiarism on this topic has been incredible and I'd figure more than  half of all graduates during their time technically plagiarized as well according to their standards.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

His wife is a smokeshow, though. 

This is the number one thing I have learned from this thread. I'm not even sure I have ever heard of Ackman before this. Seems to be another billionaire douchebag in a long line of billionaire douchebags. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, G650 said:

I didn't realize he was such a nut until about a year ago. He really went off the deep end.

That slapdick has been huffing his own farts for so long I doubt his brain even requires oxygen anymore. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Women and minorities with a target on their back in the current political climate? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. The old "well we need to judge people on merits therefor DEI talk is bad, 'kay" that quickly morphs into "YOU people (and you know who I mean) don't have the merit to be in these positions and we'll decide what that is."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Was actually coming here to start a "Bill Ackman seems like a shit-head" thread based on the CNN.com article but you beat me to it.

Apparently, he once called Kyle Rittenhouse a "civic-minded patriot" and also said SBF was "telling the truth."

Ackman's wife, previously unknown to me, has piqued my attention. Damn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Ackman's wife, previously unknown to me, has piqued my attention. Damn.

Credit to Ackman on that one. Snagging Brad Pitt's leftovers is no small feat for that dork. I'm sure the billions didnt hurt. 

Loon, shit-head, or douche...I have zero interest in being in that guy's crosshairs. Now we have a pissed-off, shameless, embarrassed billionaire that's looking for someone else to "find out" while white-knighting for his wife.  Some people stand to get smeared badly by this and he has little to lose in doing so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

His wife is a smokeshow, though.

Indeed.  I would invite her to my Ted Talk.

Also, here she is, giving her Ted Talk on "Things that inspire your sense of awe" -- I selected an image from the portion where she is discussing my johnson:

a4817b9887ab589f58ea7258b3e4cecbafa126c2

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

In this edition of a hilarious FAFO story, corporate raider and recent loon Bill Ackman 

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/09/business/to-save-free-speech-bill-ackman-lashes-out-at-journalists-and-higher-ed/index.html

The Fucking Around

1. Bill Ackman fights to get Harvard's first Black president, Claudine Gay, ousted due to accusations of antisemitism and plagiarism

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/03/bill-ackman-billionaire-attacks-claudine-gay-harvard-twitter-x

Seen in this bizarre novel he posted on Twitter against DEI. 

2. Claudine Gay resigns

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/02/business/claudine-gay-harvard-president-resigns/index.html

The Finding Out Part

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/04/business/bill-ackman-wife-plagiarism/index.html

image.png.20c0b4922244d37e7c6be5556aa72159.png

Bill Ackman precedes to melt down

image.thumb.png.6a23e85243e7142382604f0e6040210b.png

image.png.11fbea8ae6c0e0b67b6a4356d399b8bf.png

image.thumb.png.126e116f1c6c403ce18513c948a88d91.png

image.thumb.png.fefed2715e9530441517da7e0a4bcf3c.png

image.thumb.png.09da04b609822df6841ca64b64b823ed.png

Apparently when rich white people don't get their way, they are very upset and want to end wokeness

image.thumb.png.bda6dc1543e3c812ded6832eef663bfc.png

His wife has also passed herself off as an architect and is not.  She is an architecture professor but I can't find her name in the NCARB database, which means she doesn't have a license and is not an architect.

Lulz.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Credit to Ackman on that one. Snagging Brad Pitt's leftovers is no small feat for that dork. I'm sure the billions didnt hurt. 

To me, the Brad Pitt angle is the best part.  Two non architects talking about architecture.  

I don't care to learn much about this story, but Ackman is known for being a pretty intense, unscrupulous guy. Not the kind of guy that makes an ideal enemy. Especially when he feels the need to defend his smokeshow wife.

Posted (edited)

This was on The Reid Out the other night.  She started with two side-by-side paragraphs that were obviously the same.

Everyone would naturally assume this is Claudine Gay's crime.  Then she reveals it's actually that kinda ugly Ted Talk "architect." (you fucks have some low standards; she ain't all that).

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3

What a crazy bread crumb trail and we don't even know how much further is left to tumble down this rabbit hole:

Hamas terrorist attack -> Pro-Hamas/Anti-Semitism (however you view it)-> Congressional Hearing -> Firing/Resignation of Ivy League and most prestigious American colleges -> allegations of "plagiarism" against anyone who is in the middle of the fight, on all sides -> Billionaire Hedge Fund squabbles === what's next?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

This was on The Reid Out the other night.  She started with two side-by-side paragraphs that were obviously the same.

Everyone would naturally assume this is Claudine Gay's crime.  Then she reveals it's actually that kind ugly Ted Talk "architect." (you fucks have some low standards; she ain't all that).

His wardrobe... you raid it. 

image.png.b5307dbfc44277ee8ed2325d4956cbe2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Ackman is a real piece of shit. His wife is a smoke show. Ivy League president not citing sources in professional work is a big deal. Trophy wife's citations were far less offensive in terms of plagiarism. In another generation the concept of plagiarism will be obsolete. We are just training kids to just regurgitate the thoughts of others, and soon the academy will accept that the AI just regurgitates it for them.  

Everyone would naturally assume this is Claudine Gay's crime.  Then she reveals it's actually that kind ugly Ted Talk "architect." (you fucks have some low standards; she ain't all that).

IMG-1124.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ackman tripled down on the de-SPAC market and basically laughed at anyone that questioned whether it was really a viable long term route that was superior to underwritten IPOs.  Then he had to unwind the Pershing Tontine.  I am not going to say the guy is dumb.  He obviously is very smart.  But his hubris is of fucking Greek tragedy proportions.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Ackman is a real piece of shit. His wife is a smoke show. Ivy League president not citing sources in professional work is a big deal. Trophy wife's citations were far less offensive in terms of plagiarism. In another generation the concept of plagiarism will be obsolete. We are just training kids to just regurgitate the thoughts of others, and soon the academy will accept that the AI just regurgitates it for them.  

Not to derail the thread about how Ackman sucks to the topic of plagiarism, but it is an interesting topic. Especially with future implications and generative AI.

In this case, it's also interesting because unless you have done original research and authored scholarship (and I know we have more than a few academics that post here), most people have a very elementary understanding of plagiarism. I'm seeing it on twitter where people think all accusations of plagiarism are equal, with the most advanced writing they've ever done is their 10th grade research paper.

And I'm reminded of when Gladwell had his own plagiarism scandal (as hackneyed as he may be, the point remains): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/11/22/something-borrowed-plagiarism

image.thumb.png.b96001ae50dd7e787dd2f28e2a14d72d.png

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Da Fino said:

Loon, shit-head, or douche...I have zero interest in being in that guy's crosshairs. Now we have a pissed-off, shameless, embarrassed billionaire that's looking for someone else to "find out" while white-knighting for his wife.  Some people stand to get smeared badly by this and he has little to lose in doing so. 

What? Fuck that, let that asshole eat dick. fuck Ackerman and his entire ilk. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Also it's funny that Ackman says this:

When the Board finally publicly acknowledged some of Gay’s plagiarism, it characterized the plagiarism as “unintentional” and invented new euphemisms, i.e., “duplicative language” to describe plagiarism, a belittling of academic integrity that has caused grave damage to Harvard’s academic standards and credibility.

because now he find his wife in the same exact boat and I'm sure he'd like the softer, gentler term for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

I don't care to learn much about this story, but Ackman is known for being a pretty intense, unscrupulous guy. Not the kind of guy that makes an ideal enemy. Especially when he feels the need to defend his smokeshow wife.

I can only imagine what he was telling Elon Musk to get him to start suspending a bunch of journalists.  He probably provided him a list.

• Hook 'Em 2

The surreal thing about all this is that Elon suspended all those guys for making fun of Ackman (likely at Ackman's request) for being a thin-skinned dipshit. But if instead of making fun of him for being a disphit, they'd said some really anti-Semitic shit about him and his wife, there's no way Elon would've suspended them. In fact, he unsuspended them today after anti-Semite Jackson Hinkle questioned whether Elon was suspending people for being critical of Israel. And this is a guy Ackman basically considers an ally in a fight against anti-Semitism. 

Billionaires are so fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Not to derail the thread about how Ackman sucks to the topic of plagiarism, but it is an interesting topic. Especially with future implications and generative AI.

In this case, it's also interesting because unless you have done original research and authored scholarship (and I know we have more than a few academics that post here), most people have a very elementary understanding of plagiarism. I'm seeing it on twitter where people think all accusations of plagiarism are equal, with the most advanced writing they've ever done is their 10th grade research paper.

And I'm reminded of when Gladwell had his own plagiarism scandal (as hackneyed as he may be, the point remains): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/11/22/something-borrowed-plagiarism

image.thumb.png.b96001ae50dd7e787dd2f28e2a14d72d.png

So I am on the board on the trustees at one of our Universities here, and the board meeting last fall had quite a bit of insight into AI and the implications in academia. I actually quite enjoyed the presentations we had, they were pretty illuminating. But Anis characterization is not correct. AI will be there, but it's going to be a tool in the toolbox. Ideas are always going to be paramount.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The surreal thing about all this is that Elon suspended all those guys for making fun of Ackman (likely at Ackman's request) for being a thin-skinned dipshit. But if instead of making fun of him for being a disphit, they'd said some really anti-Semitic shit about him and his wife, there's no way Elon would've suspended them. In fact, he unsuspended them today after anti-Semite Jackson Hinkle questioned whether Elon was suspending people for being critical of Israel. And this is a guy Ackman basically considers an ally in a fight against anti-Semitism. 

Billionaires are so fucking stupid. 

I would like to introduce you to Peter Theil

44798278-7f41-4170-ab8f-989730da280a_429

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It turns out MITs handbook doesn’t mention Wikipedia 

image.gif.f57736e50ecbbbcf3cb464e89f401df8.gif

"Yes, sure, the penal code says it's a crime to take property from someone, but it does not even MENTION Neonmoon by name, so that means that clearly there's no law against me taking whatever I want from Neonmoon.  QED.  Ipso Facto.  E Pluribus Unum, and therefore, I did nothing wrong!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a *little* funny and ironic that people who woke up last week not knowing who Bill Ackman is, are fully caught up with the outrage and disgust for the guy (rightfully so, he mostly sucks), except for calling him Bill Ackerman, on this thread which is about academic integrity. Right?

Billly A be like:

image.thumb.png.ca243d5e4c4b5f998f20bccee00c39ab.png

Edited by BeardIP

3 hours ago, G650 said:

That we are training kids to regurgitate and not have their own ideas. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I mean, I guess if I was a dean speaking to my dean's council or a president speaking to his board of trustees, I would probably use a line like "ideas are paramount", but the reality is that critical thinking and analysis of information is a skill that many universities are simply failing to instill in their students. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/exclusive-test-data-many-colleges-fail-to-improve-critical-thinking-skills-1496686662

Freshmen and seniors at about 200 colleges across the U.S. take a little-known test every year to measure how much better they get at learning to think. The results are discouraging.

At more than half of schools, at least a third of seniors were unable to make a cohesive argument, assess the quality of evidence in a document or interpret data in a table, The Wall Street Journal found after reviewing the latest results from dozens of public colleges and universities that gave the exam between 2013 and 2016. (See full results.)

I have a type . . . And for the record, a little chub never hurt anyone.

image.thumb.png.224cfc8011f519ae2fb072feeae0df5f.png

Looks kinda like AOC in the face in that pic, but without the teets. 

Edited by Anastasis