Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

sucks, but it’s what needs to be done. RT will always be remembered fondly by UT fans for his time as an assistant under both barnes and beard, and frankly it’s not his fault that he was hired. other people made that decision, not him. but now those same people need to get to work on replacing him, like yesterday. we do not want to enter a new conference with the program in this state, and going nowhere fast. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

Last year's stacked team would have made the 2nd week of the NCAAs if my dumbass were coaching them. Absolutely asinine that a real coaching search never took place after Beard was fired. RT by all accounts is a good guy, but good guys don't always make good D1 basketball coaches. The quicker we move on from him, the quicker the program can get back to relevancy. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'll eat some crow here.  I was one of the few saying that the Elite 8 run earned him at least a year or two to recruit and see what he could do.  I was cautiously optimistic.  And I was wrong.  There are more losses coming, and quickly, and I don't believe there's much we can do about it.  This sucks.

You weren't the only one.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'll eat some crow here.  I was one of the few saying that the Elite 8 run earned him at least a year or two to recruit and see what he could do.  I was cautiously optimistic.  And I was wrong.  There are more losses coming, and quickly, and I don't believe there's much we can do about it.  This sucks.

this is what I don't get.  people looked at 3/4 of one season with a stacked roster that did exactly what their seed/ranking should have done and said we have to hire Terry and completely avoided the rest of his career as a HC which is worse than even Shaka's.

It is one of 3 coaching hires at the University of Texas(most schools only have 2 but we have baseball) you have to get right and we fucked it all up because we had to hire Rodney Terry?

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yah I’m wrong and I’ll admit it. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I thought he did enough to earn the job. But I knew we would be replacing him by year 3. I was definitely wrong.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

i went in record as saying flat out that he didn’t deserve the job no matter what, but that he would probably get the job if we made the EE. then we fucked spring and made the EE, and here we are now. back where we were after the ACU loss. these last 2-3 years have been a surreal fever dream.

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this is what I don't get.  people looked at 3/4 of one season with a stacked roster that did exactly what their seed/ranking should have done and said we have to hire Terry and completely avoided the rest of his career as a HC which is worse than even Shaka's.

It is one of 3 coaching hires at the University of Texas(most schools only have 2 but we have baseball) you have to get right and we fucked it all up because we had to hire Rodney Terry?

Counterpoint: how do you replace the guy who just went further than we'd gone in 15 years?  We had a big brand name again, significant returning talent, and he had been a part of some serious recruiting here in the past, so there were reasons to be optimistic.

And, most of the naysayers were naysayers last year, too.

So, yeah, I don't think that giving him a year or two was crazy.  But I do think the problem is that like Shaka, he's gonna get a lot longer than that, even though there are glaring problems all over the damned place.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Counterpoint: how do you replace the guy who just went further than we'd gone in 15 years? 

we make a good hire, and RT ends up at another UTEP type of school. when our guy has the program heading in the right direction while RT struggles to win any more than he ever has before, those results speak for themselves and nobody is upset. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Terry should have done better with this roster but the guy that's fucking up this team the most was a Beard get that RT maybe assumed would get better as a junior. 

I think Terry is a guy that can be good with the right players but can't overcome pretty harsh incompetence from key positions. 

I thought we'd be pretty good this season but I also didn't know that Abmas can't play D and that Tyrese was going to somehow be worse than he was last season.

It would also help if Mitchell could develop any sort of jumpshot. I thought he had the potential to be a decent shooter but he hasn't shown much improvement there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

I’ll lay the cover fire for you, @shadow_operative.

Normally, I wouldn’t condone anything like this at this juncture in a coach’s tenure. However, there were legitimate concerns from the jump. Well, those concerns seem to be valid.

He is what we thought he was at his prior stops - an average head coach unfit for the University of Texas.

Oh, and for good measure, fuck Chris Beard. 

You're being generous.  This roster is FAR better than the results. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm totally over RT, because he's turned out to be even more inept than I'd feared. But who'd be the preferred replacement? I mean, I was all in favor of Shaka replacing Barnes, then Beard replacing Shaka, so I don't claim to have any gift of clairvoyance. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It won't be a hard decision to fire him at the end of the season if we are one of the bottom feeders in the conference and miss the tourney. It's not like we have a ton of injuries or any other valid excuse. The only reason for this suckage is coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Uh no it isn't. That's an insane statement. 

Researching my random statement now.  We were 3rd in the transfer portal 2 years ago; 8th last year.  6th in recruiting 2 years ago; 43rd last year.  I know all sorts of things change from year-to-year, but we're about to not even sniff the tourney with, what seems to be, some decent talent.

Just now, Knoxtnhorn said:

We were 3rd in the transfer portal 2 years ago; 8th last year.  6th in recruiting 2 years ago; 43rd last year. 

That doesn't mean anything. Have you watched this team play basketball? You haven't noticed the glaring holes?

This isn't me defending Terry, by the way. He's responsible for the team that takes the floor either way. But these guys are in serious need of a B12 caliber starting PG because right now they have 0. And that's a bad recipe for winning in this league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

That doesn't mean anything. Have you watched this team play basketball? You haven't noticed the glaring holes?

This isn't me defending Terry, by the way. He's responsible for the team that takes the floor either way. But these guys are in serious need of a B12 caliber starting PG because right now they have 0. And that's a bad recipe for winning in this league. 

I'm not disagreeing about the lack of a PG. I just think - holes aside - there's no reason this team shouldn't, at least, make the tourney.   I'm already half drunk and old, so my memory may be shitty, but I feel as if Barnes made the tourney a few times w/o a decent PG.  Oh shit.  I just defended Barnes.  Don't tell @shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Both can be true. I think that with better coaching this team should be performing better despite not having a point guard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Uh no it isn't. That's an insane statement. 

yeah it is. it’s miles better than the performance. these guys are just completely lacking in direction. our roster is full of guys who’ve been in college for 4-5 years as contributing members of tourney teams, and so far we have looked like hammered dog shit. there’s a ton of coaches who would doing much more with this group.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

there's no reason this team shouldn't, at least, make the tourney. 

I 100% agree with that but it's early in the season. Let's see what happens.

I'm a little lit myself and I apologize if I'm being a dick. I've watched a ton of basketball at all 3 levels for the last 15 years now and more than anything I see a team that lacks traditional guard leadership (which is massively important in college ball), lacks size at both starting guard spots AND on top of it has a coach whose strong suit isn't maximizing talent. 

I think Terry does a very good job with culture building, culture maintaining and just general buy-in. I think he's an amazing motivator that can keep teams in games when it looks like they've blown them or that can lead teams to crazy comebacks. 

But I don't think he's some super smart xs and os guy that - after assembling a bad roster - knows how to scheme his way out of it. 

Which means I think he's a good but limited coach. 

I'm willing to give him another year. He'll probably get another year either way. I think he set himself up for failure and he may or may not do that next offseason. 

I just want to give the guy a fucking chance because I think he's an amazing person and he just led Texas basketball to its best season in 15 years. I think he deserves two fucking seasons to try and replicate a modicum of the same success.

Is RT's current contract fully guaranteed ??

Details that I found:   5-Yr, $15.3M Contract

Per Jon Rothstein, Terry and the Longhorns agreed to a five-year contract for the job. The deal will pay Terry $3 million annually, according to Rothstein

-----------------------------------------------

Last season he was underpaid...

Texas Longhorns men's basketball interim head coach Rodney Terry has received a much-deserved raise amid an unprecedented season for the program

ZACH DIMMITT       FEB 9, 2023 

Texas Longhorns coach Rodney Terry has received a major raise in his contract, per reports Thursday.

Terry, who took over as acting head coach following the suspension of the now-fired Chris Beard on Dec. 12, will now be making $1.2 million per year, more than doubling his original salary of $500,000 per year. Beard was fired on Jan. 5, officially making Terry the interim head coach.

"He's doing the duties of a head coach, and we chose to adjust his salary as he leads our program the rest of the year," Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said, per AP.

Still think CDC probably keeps RT for a 2nd year unless the shit really hits the fan.  RT's Elite 8 run likely bought him 2 yrs as full time head coach.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh - by the fucking way - we aren't firing him until likely the end of next season at the least.

So anyone commenting "he probably doesn't get fired this season" - yeah no fucking shit. 

Y'all realize the dipshit before him went six fucking full seasons at Texas without winning a tournament game. 

Not without making a nice run - without winning a damn game. 

Terry was at the helm when we won the B12 tourney and made the EE and should have went further. 

Dude gets 2 full seasons no fucking question.

(That said I will be here with the rest of you demanding he resigns 12 games into his 2nd season)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

fire whoever the fuck gave him the ridiculous contract as well. i guess i understand the pressure hire him, but it’s not like others were beating down the door to hire the dipshit from us. no idea why wouldn’t offer him the bare minimum for 3-4 years with low as shit buyout. if he walked at the offer, we should have just giggled ourselves to sleep and hired a real fucking coach

shit  fuck 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He won't be fired after one year unless there is a total implosion with players/recruits bailing.

but he could be persuaded to “step down” for any number of reasons. of course i doubt that the same administration that hired him would do that, but it would be the right thing to do.

10 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

fire whoever the fuck gave him the ridiculous contract as well. i guess i understand the pressure hire him, but it’s not like others were beating down the door to hire the dipshit from us. no idea why wouldn’t offer him the bare minimum for 3-4 years with low as shit buyout. if he walked at the offer, we should have just giggled ourselves to sleep and hired a real fucking coach

shit  fuck 

Do you want to even give a coach a chance to succeed?

5 years is the minimum for ANY power program. How can you expect a new coach to recruit on a brand new 3 year contract and takes them through a 2024 prospects sophomore season?

If you think 5 years for 15 million is ridiculous then you don’t know what type of contracts are out there. These dudes have agents for a reason and if you think schools hold leverage in these negotiations you haven’t been following college athletics lately.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

5 years is the minimum for ANY power program. How can you expect a new coach to recruit on a brand new 3 year contract and takes them through a 2024 prospects sophomore season?

If you think 5 years for 15 million is ridiculous then you don’t know what type of contracts are out there. These dudes have agents for a reason and if you think schools hold leverage in these negotiations you haven’t been following college athletics lately.

jajajjaajajajajja sure, fucking 5 year for 3 million year and 25% guaranteed. 

if fucking RT doesn’t like the contract he walks and we hire a real coach without backlash 

win fucking win.  do you even ever negotiate from a  position of power, bro? 

Edited by FORTY NINE TO ZERO

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

agreed.   3M per was the floor.  we probably could have gotten away with 4 years but we went 5 to make it look like he was really our guy.  we will find 3M more in the couch cushions.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh - by the fucking way - we aren't firing him until likely the end of next season at the least.

So anyone commenting "he probably doesn't get fired this season" - yeah no fucking shit. 

Y'all realize the dipshit before him went six fucking full seasons at Texas without winning a tournament game. 

Not without making a nice run - without winning a damn game. 

Terry was at the helm when we won the B12 tourney and made the EE and should have went further. 

Dude gets 2 full seasons no fucking question.

(That said I will be here with the rest of you demanding he resigns 12 games into his 2nd season)

Yeah, I don’t see them letting him go after only one year. Part of the pressure they caved to was from the former players. 
But, I do know that there is some concern about what’s going on with the Moody crowd. There was apparently some heartburn about how many Tech fans were able to get tickets. They are worried about it becoming the Erwin Center. 

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Last year's stacked team would have made the 2nd week of the NCAAs if my dumbass were coaching them. Absolutely asinine that a real coaching search never took place after Beard was fired. RT by all accounts is a good guy, but good guys don't always make good D1 basketball coaches. The quicker we move on from him, the quicker the program can get back to relevancy. 

Reminder. We were tied with Penn State with 2 minutes left. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Reminder. We were tied with Penn State with 2 minutes left. 

as was said in the game thread, it’s surreal that losing a first round game as a 2 seed was the best thing that could have happened for our program, while a run to the elite 8 is now going to set the program back years. shit is just cruel.

• Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

as was said in the game thread, it’s surreal that losing a first round game as a 3 seed was the best thing that could have happened for our program, while a run to the elite 8 is now going to set the program back years. shit is just cruel.

We were a 2 seed