Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

59 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

giphy.gif

Nice try aggy

Nah I agree with him and have said the same in the past. Glad to see someone else saying it. If we owned it up, down, and sideways, everyone else would stop. There would be no fun left in it for 'em. Ask UGa what happens when Bevo puts his Horns down. Nothing good for UGa. That much is certain.

But if we're not gonna do that, there's no point getting all upset about it when opponents do it. They make themselves look like idiots anyway, not us.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

In being on the spectrum, I have a hard time seeing gray areas.  Therefore, I compartmentalize.  Here's the way I see it.  And, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind so don't @ me.  

Make it to the Round of 16 - he's our guy.

Barely miss the tourney or lose in the round of 32 - he deserves another year.

Flame out, finish in the bottom 3 of the conference, no tourney sniffing - make a change.

Quit being reasonable!

4 hours ago, freyguy said:

Sit in the UT student section after a loss to ou in Dallas.  The horns down is the kindest gesture you will see from the opposing players.

I was here for the Mack years. Got to a point where sooner fans were saying “keep your chin up.  This series always turns on a dime”

• Rage+1 2

tang still has a lot to prove before a program like texas should take a flier on him. last year with keyonte george and marquise nowell their offense was simply “aight”. this season their offense is terrible and sloppy, and they’ve struggled to put away crappy teams and have some bad losses too. of all the young, talented coaches who aren’t necessarily tied down, tommy lloyd is the guy. in fact as far as i can tell lloyd is the only potentially available guy who is on or even anywhere near beard’s level. 

tang still has a lot to prove before a program like texas should take a flier on him. last year with keyonte george and marquise nowell their offense was simply “aight”. this season their offense is terrible and sloppy, and they’ve struggled to put away crappy teams and have some bad losses too. of all the young, talented coaches who aren’t necessarily tied down, tommy lloyd is the guy. in fact as far as i can tell lloyd is the only potentially available guy who is on or even anywhere near beard’s level. 

I like Tommy Lloyd … I thought George played for Baylor not KSU

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Arizona just fired their AD. I don’t see Lloyd leaving Arizona as it sounds like they are trying to figure it out. I’d also argue Arizona is a better job than Texas but Texas has such a huge upside.

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

Arizona just fired their AD. I don’t see Lloyd leaving Arizona as it sounds like they are trying to figure it out. I’d also argue Arizona is a better job than Texas but Texas has such a huge upside.

They fired their AD for financial mismanagement and have a huge financial issue with their athletics department period ($240m shortfall). 

He's paid $4.1 million - you don't think we could offer him $5+ million within the next 13 months with actual athletic department/director stability? Just look at how the AD/BOR bungled Fisch's extension and couldn't even get a new offer out to Nansen to convince him to stay in Tucson. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They fired their AD for financial mismanagement and have a huge financial issue with their athletics department period ($240m shortfall). 

He's paid $4.1 million - you don't think we could offer him $5+ million within the next 13 months with actual athletic department/director stability? Just look at how the AD/BOR bungled Fisch's extension and couldn't even get a new offer out to Nansen to convince him to stay in Tucson. 

Who Knows Yes GIF by Bounce

• Haha 1

lloyd is interesting.  lot like Tang in assistant for a long time at one school.  the only issue is him potentially wanting to go back to Gonzaga once Few retires but if he's successful at Texas the money is big.

has euro connections also

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Would you have taken Few or Miller over LLoyd after last season?

nope. few is never leaving where he’s at and he’s old, and i have no interest in miller. lloyd is (to me) the best potentially available young coach by a wide margin. his recruiting ethos and play style set him apart from the pack. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nope. few is never leaving where he’s at and he’s old, and i have no interest in miller. lloyd is (to me) the best potentially available young coach by a wide margin. his recruiting ethos and play style set him apart from the pack. 

I agree with this. A Gonzaga-style (national scope + overseas) recruiting machine at Texas would be a force.

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You know enough people to ask about this, but after Beard was out, supposedly conversations with Few were real. He was awestruck by the experience at Moody and viewed Texas as fallow ground for becoming a title winning legend. He was willing to give it a 10-15 year go. Allegedly. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

You know enough people to ask about this, but after Beard was out, supposedly conversations with Few were real. He was awestruck by the experience at Moody and viewed Texas as fallow ground for becoming a title winning legend. He was willing to give it a 10-15 year go. Allegedly. 

You mean to tell me that Texas could have hired Few over RT?...

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

You mean to tell me that Texas could have hired Few over RT?...

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

Once it went to the Sweet 16, pretty much everything fell apart for any other option but Terry. Anyone acting like Terry was the choice the whole way is full of shit and anyone acting like CDC didn't have a big deal lined up ahead of the Sweet 16 is being willfully ignorant.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Would you have taken Few or Miller over LLoyd after last season?

My working assumption was that Few was not realistic.  But if your below post is correct, then yeah i'd take him over Lloyd.  I'd want Lloyd over Miller though.  I really like the European connections he has and think it can be used as a competitive advantage over most every other program in the nation.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've never heard anyone claim that Terry was the choice all the way.  In fact, I posted a poll asking what Terry needed to do to earn the job (I believe after we won the Big-12 Tourney), and almost nobody felt he had already earned it.  Most of the fans felt he had to make a Sweet 16 at a minimum, and a good number felt he didn't deserve it even with a Final Four.

Few is one of the few (pun intended) coaches who would have been worth the blowback from not hiring Terry.  The outrage would have passed like a fart in the wind with that hire.  And then Terry would have been hired by someone like Tulsa.

CDC is a legit moron if he passed on that opportunity.  I know he isn't a moron, so it makes me question the validity of the claim.  It sounds more like Few was angling for a raise.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If this is true our guys are as stupid as the athletic department  is rich. There is no excuse for caving to media and social pressure if this deal could have been worked out.  It’s almost such a no brainer that I can hardly believe it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If we really hired Rodney Terry for not even going to the Final Four when Mark Few was willing to commit to 10 years here, then CDC should be fired.  Any media outrage would have lasted 2 seconds until we hired Few, and then everyone would talk about what an amazing hire we managed.  This can’t be real.

18 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I've never heard anyone claim that Terry was the choice all the way.  In fact, I posted a poll asking what Terry needed to do to earn the job (I believe after we won the Big-12 Tourney), and almost nobody felt he had already earned it.  Most of the fans felt he had to make a Sweet 16 at a minimum, and a good number felt he didn't deserve it even with a Final Four.

Few is one of the few (pun intended) coaches who would have been worth the blowback from not hiring Terry.  The outrage would have passed like a fart in the wind with that hire.  And then Terry would have been hired by someone like Tulsa.

CDC is a legit moron if he passed on that opportunity.  I know he isn't a moron, so it makes me question the validity of the claim.  It sounds more like Few was angling for a raise.

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

If this is true our guys are as stupid as the athletic department  is rich. There is no excuse for caving to media and social pressure if this deal could have been worked out.  It’s almost such a no brainer that I can hardly believe it. 

I'm not going to die on the hill that this rumor is a fact. The two places in which this was told to me are highly reliable and credible. I alluded to this on one of the threads during the tournament. Maybe it was the "what does RT need to do to get the job" kind of thread. I said at the time that the rumors were so absurd that I couldn't bring myself to post them. There's been enough time, no one is getting burned, and the only risk is that I am viewed as a fool for thinking this stuff was viable and posting about it. 

The word was that Miller would take the job, yep, let's go. Calipari would take it for $10M+ if he had carte blanche. Texas wasn't feeling great about doubling the football coach's salary for the hoops guy, but that could be overcome. But Few, whether he has an agent or not, I do not know, but had made it clear he had an interest. 

In the end, no one else had the same zeal for the role given what Texas was able to do in the tournament. None of the coaches, none of the money people, the admin, CDC, etc. We can look back at it with hindsight, but in the moment, no one was thinking anything other than the notion that Terry was getting the job.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

then CDC should be fired.

Dude this isn't Kansas. We aren't firing our AD because a lot of fans don't like half a season of the new basketball coach. CDC's football hire just finished 3rd in the country in his 3rd season here.

• Hook 'Em 5

Even if ctj's story is largely true, it doesn't mean Few was a sure thing.  He (more than most) seems like a guy who doesn't fall prey to the greener grass syndrome.  He's built a juggernaut where he is, and if the money and the lifestyle fit, then he's probably loathe to leave.  Regardless, it tends to give credence to the idea that Texas is a destination job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Dude this isn't Kansas. We aren't firing our AD because a lot of fans don't like half a season of the new basketball coach. CDC's football hire just finished 3rd in the country in his 3rd season here.

Since CDC got here in 2017, Texas athletics have finished the following in the directors cup.  

1st - 20-21, 21-22

2nd - 22-23

4th - 18-19

5th - 17-18

and there wasn’t a directors cup awarded in 2019-20. 

And set the record for most money made by an athletic department this last year. 

He’s not leaving for not hiring a coach for a sport most people don’t care too much about as a whole. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/22/2024 at 1:52 PM, shadow_operative said:

You don't know jack shit about CBB, starting from the claim that Keyonte George played at KSU and that their offense was "aight" which is laughable and that's being really generous. Everything else you say is therefore null and void, do better big dawg. 

Edited by Mr Shrimp Unlimited
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Shrimp Unlimited said:

You don't know jack shit about CBB, starting from the claim that Keyonte George played at KSU and that their offense was "aight" which is laughable and that's being really generous. Everything else you say is therefore null and void, do better big dawg. 

yeah, accidentally typing keyontae george instead of keyontae johnson, how terrible!

and yeah, last year’s k state offense was nothing special despite having two all american players leading the way. they finished 37th in AdjO (which was the 5th best AdjO in the 10-team Big XII) and that was after their tourney run. besides that their national statistical rankings were extremely “aight”:

IMG_7036.jpeg.178e330b55218e1d2f4535f5683c8864.jpeg

IMG_7037.jpeg.7cf6b7e8fcaf3fad415187bc9a9dc881.jpeg

jerome tang is far from an offensive mastermind, and as good as k state was last year, they absolutely could have/should have been better offensively.

• Hook 'Em 3