Taylor Sheridan adapting “Empire of the Summer Moon”

It is a masterpiece.

I don't get the fascination with Taylor Sheridan. His first three movies are very good. Since then? Meh. Maybe he'll deliver on this material, but it's far from a sure thing. There's unlimited lattitude with how one tells the stories and history comprising that stellar book.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

It is a masterpiece.

I don't get the fascination with Taylor Sheridan. His first three movies are very good. Since then? Meh. Maybe he'll deliver on this material, but it's far from a sure thing. There's unlimited lattitude with how one tells the stories and history comprising that stellar book.

His first 3 movies are incredible. He admitted that Yellowstone “had no plot.” It was clear after the first season that he never expected that show to be picked up for another season or be so popular.

mayor of kingstown is fun

1883 was fine

bass reeves was meh

1923 was meh

special ops was solid

he’ll always get a pass from me for his writing on his “modern west” trilogy

Fantastic book but I wish someone else was doing the movie. Sheridan is becoming the Tyler Perry of this genre.

I am related to Cynthia Ann Parker and hence, the white side of Quanah Parker. Eager to see how the movie goes. The Comanche were fascinating and the greatest horse cavalry the world ever saw. Chased the Apache out of Texas and nearly pushed the frontier back to the Gulf.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Fantastic book but I wish someone else was doing the movie. Sheridan is becoming the Tyler Perry of this genre.

I am related to Cynthia Ann Parker and hence, the white side of Quanah Parker. Eager to see how the movie goes. The Comanche were fascinating and the greatest horse cavalry the world ever saw. Chased the Apache out of Texas and nearly pushed the frontier back to the Gulf.

How can you be related to her but not her son?

The Comanche’s impact on world history is dwarfed by the Mongol Empire, who ended civilizations with their horse calvary.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:25 PM, Texzilla58 said:

What's up cuz.  I, too, am related to Cynthia Ann.  I can take it one step further.  Davy Crockett himself (Fess Parker) is in the same lineage.  His mother was apparently a pain in the ass at my parents' wedding in 1969.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:58 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

he’ll always get a pass from me for his writing on his “modern west” trilogy

I was late to the whole Yellow Stone and 1893 series. I listen to T Sheridan on a podcast recently talk about the influence of Lonesome Dove had on him so I thought I would start with 1893.  It's pretty good but hard not to see all the similarities in the story line and Characters.

Shea Brennan is no Woodrow F. Call.

14 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

The Comanche’s impact on world history is dwarfed by the Mongol Empire, who ended civilizations with their horse calvary.

So you're giving the Mongols credit for taking out Jesus too?

On 1/23/2024 at 8:44 AM, RomaVicta said:

It is a masterpiece.

Yellowstone is ass. Change my mind. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Dish Boggett said:

I was late to the whole Yellow Stone and 1893 series. I listen to T Sheridan on a podcast recently talk about the influence of Lonesome Dove had on him so I thought I would start with 1893.  It's pretty good but hard not to see all the similarities in the story line and Characters.

Shea Brennan is no Woodrow F. Call.

If it’s all right with you Dish, we won’t wait. 

5 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

The first half of 1883 was decent.  The 2nd half was some of the worst shit I've ever seen on TV. And I rarely pick shows apart.  I I just try to be entertained.

I don't mind Yellowstone for what it is - an updated Dallas.

Here's hoping Empire isn't a reworked Bonanza.

What struck me about the book was how deep it cut at Old West and Native portrayals in pop culture.

You’d both sympathize and be revolted by how Comanches operated as a warrior tribe. They were like apex predators and if couldnt provide them value they saw you as lesser beings. They cared only about taking care of their own people.

I’d like to see a fair depiction of their strength and rejection of western culture’s morality. Which might upset people.

I do expect the same old wise Indian monologues over peace pipes talking about the white men.

What was depicted in the book was these evil bastards (from our perspective) were terrorizing whites and natives alike. They’d get paid to stop raiding, then break treaties, only to have the ignorant US government terrorize other, more peaceful tribes confused it was Comanches.

We’ll see. Think Sheridan would be best outsourcing some of this work to others to make it fresh.

Did I spell all the words correctly? @slorch

• Hook 'Em 1

Good Kwahadi almighty, I think you did it!!!

Sorry, Calvary and Cavalry is a pet peeve of mine.  Red Raiders are probably one of yours.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

What was depicted in the book was these evil bastards (from our perspective) were terrorizing whites and natives alike.

I mean, kinda. I felt that the book was more objective. It presented the Comanches as human beings living in a culture that, albeit alien and hostile to Anglos, had its own internal logic and was understandable given its roots and context. Comanches lived like pretty much any plains tribe had been for centuries (millennia?). They were just doing it more effectively than their competitors. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I mean, kinda. I felt that the book was more objective. It presented the Comanches as human beings living in a culture that, albeit alien and hostile to Anglos, had its own internal logic and was understandable given its roots and context. Comanches lived like pretty much any plains tribe had been for centuries (millennia?). They were just doing it more effectively than their competitors. 

Like I said, from our perspective, they were evil bastards. But they took care of their own and I agree they had their own logic. There were other tribes that werent nomads and they were shit out of luck unless they could trade something of value.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Comanche were a fairly meek tribe in the northern plains until they got the horse. They weren’t just hostile to Anglos. They chased the Apache out of Texas, subjugated and enslaved other tribes CEO their Kiowa allies, and fought Spanish, Mexican, and American settlers, conquistadors, and rangers. Buffalo Hump nearly drove the frontier into the Gulf.
200.gif

Comanche beth dutton incoming 

If she gets nekkid I have no issue
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

The Comanche, given equal numbers, would have made the mongols turn tail and retreat in the face of warriors shooting a dozen arrows a minute from under the bellies of their horses.

The Comanche, given equal numbers, would have made the mongols turn tail and retreat in the face of warriors shooting a dozen arrows a minute from under the bellies of their horses.

“Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war.” - fake George Patton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yeah, but the problem for the Camanch were dog holes and guys who wouldn't hide behind anything.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfOSAizfA_5htHSZTnZXN