Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

on the left, an iconic logo from a golden age of the internet. on the right, the cologne of 14 year olds lying about blow jobs and getting the details all wrong

The golden age of the internet was pre-Twitter. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

110k bill for baby delivery is absolutely a lifestyle choice. That’s probably 10x the norm. 

The likely splurged on the “leave the hospital with a living baby” option.

• Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The golden age of the internet was pre-Twitter. 

We could derail this thread entirely, but I’d say that a strong argument could be made for the mid social media, early smart phone, pre-enshittification era.

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Hospitals are a lifestyle choice. 

Well and if you lose that baby at home or your wife dies in labor, you can just have more or get a new wife! Totally free!

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Well in the summer of 1993 I wrote a BBS door in Pascal that was a directory for BBSes,  a white pages or yellow pages if you will.

Oh, yeah? Well, I got to level 20 in the text-based BBS RPG Operation: Overkill. You wouldn't wanna cross me and my Tevix-Bahn.

27 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but how good were you in Tradewars 2002?

I flexed so hard in Tradewars and Exitilus, often logging on at midnight when the game reset to eff some people up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Going back a few days one thing lost about the earning call that Tesla did was this:

https://www.pymnts.com/earnings/2024/tesla-calls-itself-an-ai-robotics-company-as-profits-plunge-55/

image.thumb.png.b3de24edd9ec361753370bb0e1e2bda7.png

So a man that gets pissed about people identifying as whatever gender they choose to identify as, just said that his car company identifies as an AI Robotics company? Am I reading that right?

BTW - on Pivot a few days after this earning call, both Swisher and Galloway called out Elon and Tesla. Especially Galloway who really noted a few things:

• Elon Musk really does the Jazz hands when his earnings suck. In this case he ran off the Affordiable car thing, the Robotics thing, the AI thing and even noted the autonomous taxi idea (which they currently see as DOA).
  • There was zero reason for Tesla to increase stock price based on that call because their earnings were awful
  • Despite whatever Musk says, Tesla is a car company and they should trade around where a car company should traded. He ran some numbers on Enterprise Multiple (EV/EBITDA) and how out of whack Tesla is:
    • Tech companies
      • Google - 20
      • Meta - 21
      • Microsoft - 26
        Scott called these strong and well performing/good companies
    • Automobile companies
      • GM - 7
      • BYD - 6
    • Yet for some out of whack/people are having a fever dream about it - Tesla trades at 35

Fun listen - you should check it out:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/karas-ketamine-trip-meta-and-tesla-earnings-and-the/id1073226719?i=1000653671341

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Well and if you lose that baby at home or your wife dies in labor, you can just have more or get a new wife! Totally free!

I mean, it is cheaper than having a baby in a hospital and a future divorce... 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, but how good were you in Tradewars 2002?

I was a member of one out of 2 crews in the largest TW2002 game ever to occur. It was on Afterhours BBS. 

I also wrote scripts to run 2 different characters simultaneously on MajorMUD, one protected the other from PVP attacks. I leveled and beat other players all while trying to get laid. 

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure some company not named Telsa straight stole my script for their GUI for that game.

#mynerdflexisstrong

Edited by BurntEyes

30 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Going back a few days one thing lost about the earning call that Tesla did was this:

https://www.pymnts.com/earnings/2024/tesla-calls-itself-an-ai-robotics-company-as-profits-plunge-55/

image.thumb.png.b3de24edd9ec361753370bb0e1e2bda7.png

So a man that gets pissed about people identifying as whatever gender they choose to identify as, just said that his car company identifies as an AI Robotics company? Am I reading that right?

BTW - on Pivot a few days after this earning call, both Swisher and Galloway called out Elon and Tesla. Especially Galloway who really noted a few things:

• Elon Musk really does the Jazz hands when his earnings suck. In this case he ran off the Affordiable car thing, the Robotics thing, the AI thing and even noted the autonomous taxi idea (which they currently see as DOA).
  • There was zero reason for Tesla to increase stock price based on that call because their earnings were awful
  • Despite whatever Musk says, Tesla is a car company and they should trade around where a car company should traded. He ran some numbers on Enterprise Multiple (EV/EBITDA) and how out of whack Tesla is:
    • Tech companies
      • Google - 20
      • Meta - 21
      • Microsoft - 26
        Scott called these strong and well performing/good companies
    • Automobile companies
      • GM - 7
      • BYD - 6
    • Yet for some out of whack/people are having a fever dream about it - Tesla trades at 35

Fun listen - you should check it out:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/karas-ketamine-trip-meta-and-tesla-earnings-and-the/id1073226719?i=1000653671341

friends-pivot.gif

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

is firing your entire supercharger team (now confirmed) and most of your cathode team (now confirmed) a bad thing?

https://electrek.co/2024/05/01/elon-musk-throwing-weight-tesla-wrecking-ball/

Now, Electrek has learned that Musk also gutted Tesla’s cathode material manufacturing team in Texas.

It started with Anthony Thurston, Senior Manager, Cathode Materials & Manufacturing at Tesla, earlier this month, but Electrek has learned that Musk has now let go of most of the team.

Eletrek's take is also one hell of a burn, it includes a nugget that Rebecca Tinucci (head of charging) pushed back on the # of layoffs and that may have been why she was terminated? yikes

This is clearly about more than hiring inefficiency and restructuring. Musk is cleaning house. It could be that he has serious concerns about the economy and lack of reversal for Tesla’s sales in the short term, but he didn’t go into that in the earnings call last week.

It could be about more than that. I don’t know if I completely agree with the theory that Musk is securing his leadership position at Tesla, but it is a viable theory.

As I previously presented, the vote on his compensation package is turning into a vote of confidence in the CEO.

These layoffs are useful for him on that front. A lot of the leadership is gone. With every leader leaving, Musk becomes more needed at Tesla. Also, it doesn’t hurt that all these leaders are unloading their stocks, which won’t be voted against him.

However, it raises the question: is it actually good for Tesla?

The Supercharger team did something incredible: build the only successful and liked fast-charging network in North America, which is critical to EV adoption.

Firing the entire team because the head was pushing back on the number of layoffs is ridiculous, especially if the plan is still to grow the network. Tesla needs to grow the network since it is currently onboarding other automakers on it. Even if Tesla sees its own sales slowing down, the Supercharger network will need a capacity increase.

Everyone I talked to at Tesla says that it is a complete mess. Contractors for most ongoing Supercharger projects lost their point of contact at Tesla. Again, many suspect Tesla will try to rehire some of the workers fired.

Tesla has hiring inefficiencies leading to layoffs and layoffs inefficiencies leading to new hires.

It’s not a good look

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

I’ve been reading a lot about this Supercharger team gutting;, all I can really say is that it makes zero sense at all. Of all the moves, this has to be the dumbest one. Their charging network was their strength. It set them apart from any and everyone. You can’t drive anywhere without seeing superchargers. It’s almost frustrating (primarily not seeing non-Tesla chargers).

But it was a thing he understood - if you make EVs you needed a way to charge them at places other than your house. They have the big lead, but if they aren’t working at it, that can shrink or be lost. 

Ketamine is a hell of a drug. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I’ve been reading a lot about this Supercharger team gutting;, all I can really say is that it makes zero sense at all. Of all the moves, this has to be the dumbest one. Their charging network was their strength. It set them apart from any and everyone. You can’t drive anywhere without seeing superchargers. It’s almost frustrating (primarily not seeing non-Tesla chargers).

But it was a thing he understood - if you make EVs you needed a way to charge them at places other than your house. They have the big lead, but if they aren’t working at it, that can shrink or be lost. 

There is a lot of stupidity going on.

This and the development/design folks getting slashed are the two that, were I an investor, would give me the greatest concern.

Both are madness.

• Hook 'Em 3

Seems like a bad idea to slash your design and development team right after you made a bet the company announcement regarding new models during the last earning call. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think things are much worse than they seem, or none of these moves make sense.  Whether it’s slowing demand, or realization that the competition is catching up and passing on the automotive and self driving front, the last few days indicate a real panic.  I think he also cut his lobbying staff?  I would be really careful about being long right now.

I think that Elon is just being a petulant brat. My read, is that the Supercharger exec tried to spare her team from layoffs, and Musk's response is: Any managers that try and stick up for your employees will be fired, and all of your employees as well. This gives a clear message to the employees:

1) To managers: You ABSOLUTELY CANNOT stick up for your employees.

2) To workers: Your manager ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT have your back.

I'm sure this will be great for morale, everybody knows it is now HARDCORE.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I think things are much worse than they seem, or none of these moves make sense.  Whether it’s slowing demand, or realization that the competition is catching up and passing on the automotive and self driving front, the last few days indicate a real panic.  I think he also cut his lobbying staff?  I would be really careful about being long right now.

Yeah, it’s really fucking weird, and I’m waiting for him to fire more workers in America and completely move production to Mexico. 

Maybe he thinks he can replace some of these people with younger/inexperienced recent graduates, but the institutional knowledge that is disappearing (and will be snapped up by other car companies) is staggering.  Even if he replaces one senior person with 3-4 recent graduates, they will require a lot of time to get up and running and be competent in their jobs.  We are talking years.

With the design firings, given how little their design actually changes over the years and how few designs they have, they may have mapped out a couple of models that will take years to bring into production, and he’s guessing that by that time, any replacement employees will up to speed.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

With the design firings, given how little their design actually changes over the years and how few designs they have, they may have mapped out a couple of models that will take years to bring into production, and he’s guessing that by that time, any replacement employees will up to speed.

I’ve wondered about the exact same thing. Or maybe he’s come to his senses and now realizes what a design abortion the Cybertruck is. Just kidding, we know it’s not that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

You are way overthinking this. People are telling him things he doesn’t want to hear. That’s literally it.

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would argue any manager willing to get fired to keep members of a team does have their employee’s back. 

She sure did TRY and have her employee's back, but failed, and it is now very clear that that will not happen anymore at Tesla.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

Grumble grumble... 

Fuck him. Take away his clearance. Use of illegal narcotics is against having a clearance. Sure, lots of people in DC get high and do rails (on Colombian chicks asses I hear), but they do not interview and admit to it.

I don't care if people get high. Just want to see this South African lose his clearance and tax subsidies. Shit, give them to the people he laid off to set up their own business.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fuck him. Take away his clearance. Use of illegal narcotics is against having a clearance. Sure, lots of people in DC get high and do rails (on Colombian chicks asses I hear), but they do not interview and admit to it.

I don't care if people get high. Just want to see this South African lose his clearance and tax subsidies. Shit, give them to the people he laid off to set up their own business.

Your check for $9.95 is in the mail. My friend asked if you know where these politicians find the Columbian sex workers. I said I'd ask. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Your check for $9.95 is in the mail. My friend asked if you know where these politicians find the Columbian sex workers. I said I'd ask. 

Coke and hookers, maybe, but no chance Inka shares any of his precious nightsoil with you.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Man, let it go. Sorry I did not fertilize your rice farm in Fiji. WTF.....

Yes, and now it's a fallow, flooded field.

Only your magic poo had the right nitrogen-fixing formula, sir, so I'm obliged to be resentful.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I’ve wondered about the exact same thing. Or maybe he’s come to his senses and now realizes what a design abortion the Cybertruck is. Just kidding, we know it’s not that.

The Cybertruck is 100% on him.  Although I'm sure in his head, he's convinced himself that it wasn't his idea and that he was manipulated by the design team.  Or he still thinks it's a success.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tesla is recoverable but it doesn’t appear that Elon is taking 1 step to do so. He refuses to acknowledge that his actions are the reason for the downfall.

A few years ago I had decided that my next vehicle would be a Tesla. Now there is a zero chance that I would buy one. I don’t trust that Elon doesn’t have the ability to remotely kill any Tesla just because he gets mad at 3am. And I don’t mean kill my hypothetical Tesla but all teslas.

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Tesla is recoverable but it doesn’t appear that Elon is taking 1 step to do so. He refuses to acknowledge that his actions are the reason for the downfall.

A few years ago I had decided that my next vehicle would be a Tesla. Now there is a zero chance that I would buy one. I don’t trust that Elon doesn’t have the ability to remotely kill any Tesla just because he gets mad at 3am. And I don’t mean kill my hypothetical Tesla but all teslas.

He actually thinks they all belong to him

• Hook 'Em 3

On 5/1/2024 at 7:45 AM, NoName said:

vzye06zcxpxc1.png

giphy.gif

John O’Reilly filed suit in April 2007 alleging, inter alia, a claim of misappropriation of trade secrets against Elon Musk. The alleged misconduct occurred in 1995, but O’Reilly claimed that he did not learn of it until 2005. The court, concluding that any claim that might be asserted belonged to O’Reilly’s former employer, Remote Telecom, Inc. (RTI), a suspended corporation, granted Musk’s motion for summary judgment. 

O’Reilly contends on appeal that the court erred in granting summary judgment. We will affirm the judgment. 

PROCEDURAL BACKGROUND 

O’Reilly filed this action against Musk on April 4, 2007. In July 2007, as a self-represented litigant, he filed the operative pleading, the second amended complaint (complaint). O’Reilly alleged that in October 1995, he met with Musk, who claimed at the time to have been a student at Stanford University, to discuss the possibility of working as a salesman of O’Reilly’s Internet Merchant Channel (IMC), selling advertising to merchants. IMC “was [O’Reilly’s] proprietary, Internet-based mapping and advertising system.” The system, developed through the efforts of “[O’Reilly] and his staff” “provided a highly user-friendly interface that permitted Internet users to view merchant advertisements (such as restaurant menus) and then obtain driving directions to those merchants.” During the meeting, O’Reilly “informed Musk that IMC was proprietary and confidential, [and] Musk verbally represented to [O’Reilly] that he would keep IMC information in confidence.” (Capitalization omitted.) O’Reilly disclosed to Musk at this October meeting and on two subsequent meetings that month various aspects of the IMC, including its operation, existing and future merchant base, and pricing. O’Reilly and Musk “agreed to formalize their working relationship” after the former returned from a business trip. When O’Reilly returned, he was unable to reach Musk and thought that he had simply decided not to pursue the job. 

We will sometimes refer to the allegations in the complaint in this paragraph and in the succeeding two paragraphs without the prefatory “O’Reilly alleged” in order to avoid undue repetition of the phrase.

Musk thereafter, having “misrepresented himself [to O’Reilly] as simply a Stanford student seeking an opportunity to sell IMC advertising, ” gained access to information about IMC that he then used to enhance a concept that he had for his own business, “Zip2.” Zip2 was sold in March 1999 to Compaq for $307,000,000 in an all-cash transaction. O’Reilly learned about Musk’s company, Zip2, and that it was described “as ‘an online map service’ company, ” upon reading a book in April 2005, nearly 10 years after meeting Musk. It was not until this time that O’Reilly became aware of Zip2, realized “(a) that he had been injured; and (b) that it was Musk who had caused the injury.” (Capitalization omitted.)