Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

I've always thought of 4/20 as a pot celebration day and not as Hitler's birthday. However I was recently made aware that it's also Hitler's birthday. "Final date" seemed a bit of a strange way to frame this tweet from the 11th. But I wonder, was this a nod by space clown to his nazi friends?

image.thumb.png.3724f52c1bb2ff79d31378cdd102840b.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

I've always thought of 4/20 as a pot celebration day and not as Hitler's birthday. However I was recently made aware that it's also Hitler's birthday. "Final date" seemed a bit of a strange way to frame this tweet from the 11th. But I wonder, was this a nod by space clown to his nazi friends?

He likes to get giggles at the middle-school level (and again, far be it from me to criticize that personality defect -- glass houses and stones and all that).  Based on the fact that said giggles are his overriding motivation for every possible decision, it's all about "heh heh, it's the weed number!"  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He likes to get giggles at the middle-school level (and again, far be it from me to criticize that personality defect -- glass houses and stones and all that).  Based on the fact that said giggles are his overriding motivation for every possible decision, it's all about "heh heh, it's the weed number!"  

Yeah that's definitely what I thought at first. But I'm sus of Hitler/Final Solution & "Final date" ... but maybe I'm overly paranoid.

So this is something new …

I hadn’t heard about the Twitter circles issue they mention as their second Twitter topic.  But there is a close friends list that you can share private things. Yeah, the privacy broke.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/10/twitter-circle-bug-not-private/amp/

TL; DR - private stuff wasn’t private sometime this week. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

He's juvenile and he's desperate to increase revenue, so it's a 1-2 punch of a weed joke, and also putting the word out to all of the people with legacy blue checks who haven't paid that if they want to keep a blue check mark they better pay up.

• Hook 'Em 2

Today's dose of stupid engagement bait that was suggested to me in the trending sidebar from the desktop application

The incel is strong in the fanbois. Threads like that should be titled “who are two girls who would be really creeped out if the loser OP tried to talk with them?”

And FTR, I remember when JC first appeared in Labyrinth - she’s my age peer. I walked out of that movie asking “who the hell was that…she’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.” JC was an 11 then, she’s an 11 now, and yes, I was pretty well-versed in checking out every single living female at that age, so I had plenty of reference points.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, Chopper said:

If you were going to come up with a list of the dumbest ideas for twitter, something that's guaranteed to help blue-starred, unverified scammers rip people off, where would 'buy stocks on twitter' be on the list?

So...of course. From Matt Levine's Money Stuff column today:

Cummins Diesel under its old symbol CUM would have the world’s highest market cap. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I suppose this will apply to NWS warnings for hurricanes and other storms, as well...

Twitter wasn't perfect before Elmo took over, but it actually functioned well for a lot of things, and he just can't stop fucking it up in all kinds of different ways.  No other social media service is slowly imploding the way that twitter is.

• Hook 'Em 1

My wife is a fed.  Her agency has a blue check mark, and starting a few months back, they had discussions (limited, of course because of how Twitter is these days) with Twitter on what steps needed to be done in order to move to a different color check (gray maybe?) or preserve the blue check.  I forget which.  The fine folks at Twitter said that there would be some kind of portal setup beginning the week of April 10th in order for govt agencies to login, confirm who/what they are, and so forth.

Today is Saturday, and the portal has been down all week.  Meanwhile the blue check is allegedly going to vanish on the 20th. And because her agency has used Twitter for years now, and it's one of the methods they use to disseminate information, they have to continue using Twitter (along with their other methods, of course) until word comes down from DC to quit using Twitter.  And there will be no paying of a checkmark for her agency, or any other federal agency, I imagine.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Starship launches Monday morning between 7-10 am.  This is the big test, the billions of taxpayer dollars that have funded SpaceX better pay off.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/world/spacex-starship-launch-license-scn/index.html

repped for posting the notice

all musk companies combined have received billions in subsidies, but the spacex subsidy is a fraction of all the other companies combined

spacex has been awarded almost 20 billion in CONTRACTS for which it delivers spaceforce and nro payloads at a fraction of the cost of old space, saving the US taxpayer billions, and also restored US manned launch capability all by themselves

this first starship stack test requires no "pay off"

if it fails on ignition, spacex will be right back at it in a few weeks

an old space Artemis SLS rocket that fails represents 25 billion wasted on a vehicle that can't even fulfill the mission profile used to "sell" the program to congress

the timing of the old space presser 2 weeks ago on 3 april announcing astronauts for the Artemis II moon fly-by is not a coincidence

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-names-astronauts-to-next-moon-mission-first-crew-under-artemis

what's missing from that press release?

a date

why is the earliest possible date no earlier than NOVEMBER 2024 more than 18 months from now?

the first flight of the SLS stack was in november, more than EIGHT YEARS behind schedule

why after 12 YEARS of the program does it take 24 MONTHS to get another stack on the pad?

if you want to talk about "SUBSIDIES" then the 2 BILLION COST FOR EACH SLS LAUNCH with 100% throwaway hardware (with the exception of computer hardware in the crew capsule) is obscene given that it is IN ADDITION to the 25 BILLION the US taxpayer has already spent funding SLS, which can't even duplicate a Saturn V mission profile

i don't like musk or his politics but SpaceX is #1 in the world right now and no one else is even close

SpaceX failed 20-odd times to stick a Falcon 9 first stage landing

then they figured it out

and they will do the same with Starship

and when they do, the cost of a kilo to orbit will OBLITERATE any competition on the planet by 2 orders of magnitude

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

all musk companies combined have received billions in subsidies, but the spacex subsidy is a fraction of all the other companies combined

spacex has been awarded almost 20 billion in CONTRACTS for which it delivers spaceforce and nro payloads at a fraction of the cost of old space, saving the US taxpayer billions, and also restored US manned launch capability all by themselves

an old space Artemis SLS rocket that fails represents 25 billion wasted on a vehicle that can't even fulfill the mission profile used to "sell" the program to congress

the timing of the old space presser 2 weeks ago on 3 april announcing astronauts for the Artemis II moon fly-by is not a coincidence

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-names-astronauts-to-next-moon-mission-first-crew-under-artemis

a date

why is the earliest possible date no earlier than NOVEMBER 2024 more than 18 months from now?

the first flight of the SLS stack was in november, more than EIGHT YEARS behind schedule

why after 12 YEARS of the program does it take 24 MONTHS to get another stack on the pad?

if you want to talk about "SUBSIDIES" then the 2 BILLION COST FOR EACH SLS LAUNCH with 100% throwaway hardware (with the exception of computer hardware in the crew capsule) is obscene given that it is IN ADDITION to the 25 BILLION the US taxpayer has already spent funding SLS, which can't even duplicate a Saturn V mission profile

i don't like musk or his politics but SpaceX is #1 in the world right now and no one else is even close

then they figured it out

and when they do, the cost of a kilo to orbit will OBLITERATE any competition on the planet by 2 orders of magnitude

......until Elon manages to stick his nose into SpaceX as deeply as he's stuck it into Twitter.

It's become quite apparent that the most important thing Elon can do to enhance the performance and valuation of an enterprise is to stay the fuck out of its business.  (Note: the funny thing is, that's often the case of a CEO, and is not unique to Elon.  A good CEO who tends to things like budgets, funding, client interface, etc., but leaves the literal rocket science and details to the capable folks he's managed to hire is worth his weight in gold.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I'm not arguing that SpaceX isn't great, and that's not because of Musk, and yes, the SLS....I'm not a fan of how it was designed/built/etc. and I think it was a waste of the Shuttle engines and because of the pork involved it was far more complex and expensive and time-consuming than it should be. I have serious doubts that something that complex will work in the long run over multiple launches, but we'll see.

But the CEOs of Boeing and Northop Grumman didn't go out and spend $44 billion on the world's 14th largest social media platform, fuck it up, post stupid fucking memes, change their handles to "Harry Bolz" and then had the audacity to bitch about an organization like NPR receiving less than 1% of its budget directly from the federal government when Musk's companies are only around because of government contracts and the tax breaks/fees/legislation (CAFE credits) that boost Tesla for being an EV maker. 

That's my beef - Elon bitching about organizations getting a small amount of federal funding when two of his three companies exist because of government contracts or government legislation that forces ICE car makers to give Tesla free money.

I'm still amazed that Elon hasn't fucked up SpaceX, but we all know it's because of who is running it, but he's definitely headed for trouble with Tesla once the ICE car makers no longer have to give him free money.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not arguing that SpaceX isn't great, and that's not because of Musk, and yes, the SLS....I'm not a fan of how it was designed/built/etc. and I think it was a waste of the Shuttle engines and because of the pork involved it was far more complex and expensive and time-consuming than it should be. I have serious doubts that something that complex will work in the long run over multiple launches, but we'll see.

But the CEOs of Boeing and Northop Grumman didn't go out and spend $44 billion on the world's 14th largest social media platform, fuck it up, post stupid fucking memes, change their handles to "Harry Bolz" and then had the audacity to bitch about an organization like NPR receiving less than 1% of its budget directly from the federal government when Musk's companies are only around because of government contracts and the tax breaks/fees/legislation (CAFE credits) that boost Tesla for being an EV maker. 

That's my beef - Elon bitching about organizations getting a small amount of federal funding when two of his three companies exist because of government contracts or government legislation that forces ICE car makers to give Tesla free money.

I'm still amazed that Elon hasn't fucked up SpaceX, but we all know it's because of who is running it, but he's definitely headed for trouble with Tesla once the ICE car makers no longer have to give him free money.

Yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

But the CEOs of Boeing and Northop Grumman didn't go out and spend $44 billion on the world's 14th largest social media platform, fuck it up, post stupid fucking memes, change their handles to "Harry Bolz"

welp they are kinda busy

twitter's annual revenue is 7-8 billion

the US black budget is 50 billion

it is 7% of the US 700 billion defense budget

here's the 2021 top 5:

Lockheed Martin 39 billion

Boeing 24 billion

Raytheon 21 billion

General Dynamics 17 billion

Northrop Grumman 15 billion

That's $116 billion shared between only 5 companies, 17% of total defense spend and 1/3rd to 1/2 of that number is black

the C-level at those companies are kinda busy

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

a date

then they figured it out

SpaceX was founded in the early 2000s. Some accounts give Space Karen a ton of credit for having a vision and creating a company to make it happen. I honestly don't know whether to believe those statements or not. There's also the possibility that he just had the money and a connection at DOD, and the people who actually did make it happen are merely kissing his ass. From what I can see, nothing he did before or has done since SpaceX provides much support for the supposition that Space Karen was anything more than the SpaceX figurehead. It's an anomaly on his resume, imo.

Has he declined that rapidly and at such a young age? Or is what we're seeing today, a man with the critical thinking skills of a banana, what space karen has always been?

Edited by Chopper

he made 175m when ebay bought paypal and he plowed all of it in to starting businesses, one of which DARPA was more than pleased to fund to see what he could do with some seed money given old space and the 4 horsemen had grown old and crusty and the cool black toys were costing billions (now trillions)

and as it turned out, the DARPA awards tipped the scales

after the first 3 attempts failed he finally got to orbit and the rest is "his story"

• Hook 'Em 1

So you're saying basically what the rumor is - a friend of his at DARPA used elmo as DARPA's stalking horse because, through his friends at paypal, he was able to bumble his way into enough money to allow him to play the DARPA funding game, and they basically set him up. No wonder it's the one accomplishment that sticks out in a career that's otherwise filled with cronyism and hucksterism, among others.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Grimes broke him, and in doing so, she left him for a trans person.

Elmo does not recover from that kind of rejection apparently.

I mean, I can't speak for Surly, but I think most of us here, men and women, if we had tens of billions of dollars, and the parent of a few of our kids broke up with us and went after somebody else, most of us might be upset, but you know, tens of billions of dollars makes it kind of easy to move on since we can go anywhere in the world and hook up with plenty of very attractive women (and men).

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Starship launches Monday morning between 7-10 am.  This is the big test, the billions of taxpayer dollars that have funded SpaceX better pay off.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/14/world/spacex-starship-launch-license-scn/index.html

Will be interesting. Per someone in the know, they've never fired all the engines (33 of them) before, and never fired any quantity of the engines at full power on the vehicle.

On 4/15/2023 at 2:20 PM, Brisketexan said:

......until Elon manages to stick his nose into SpaceX as deeply as he's stuck it into Twitter.

It's become quite apparent that the most important thing Elon can do to enhance the performance and valuation of an enterprise is to stay the fuck out of its business.  (Note: the funny thing is, that's often the case of a CEO, and is not unique to Elon.  A good CEO who tends to things like budgets, funding, client interface, etc., but leaves the literal rocket science and details to the capable folks he's managed to hire is worth his weight in gold.)

You're not serious right?  

Elon may have turned into a rich douche bag, but credit where credit is due. Elon started and remains the driving force behind SpaceX.   The fact that he's an ass and a troll doesn't change the fact that he understands the technical aspects of rockets and rocket engines far beyond anyone but top engineering talent. His nose has been as deep as it can get in SpaceX since Day 1. 

I have no problem calling him out of the dumb shit he does, and there is a lot of that, but SpaceX is a grand slam. 

This is a great book that reveals how far his nose is stuck into SpaceX:   https://www.amazon.com/Liftoff-Desperate-Early-Launched-SpaceX/dp/0062979973

51xkt4USk+L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

SpaceX is a net positive to the world and Elon deserves to have his name attached to its success. I've said it numerous times in this thread, but I guess I'll keep saying it until it sinks in. It's actually kind of annoying because I don't like fanboying over people, but she's one of the few that deserves it:

Shotwell definitely deserves a lot more credit than Elon, because we've seen what happens when Elon tinkers way too much (Twitter) and we've seen what happens when he doesn't seem to understand what people want (Twitter and Tesla).  A year from now, assuming Tesla doesn't pull their heads out of their asses and launch some new models or some revamped models, their market share will be down as all of the major automakers roll out EV versions of their mainstream vehicles.  Those CAFE credits that Tesla has been relying on for revenue are going to disappear.

It's a meme, but when we saw him come into twitter, he and his fanboys were like "oh man, he's a genius, he's going to make twitter the public square and do all of these brilliant things and make it so much better" and here we are, and everything he has done is making us question his intelligence..  We have yet to see anything "genius" like out of him in regard to twitter, we saw dumbass engineering moves like bringing automative software developers in to work on a social media platform, and we also saw him demanding that twitter developers print out recent examples of code they've written, as if it's some kind of old-school BASIC shit where you can actually look at a few pages and see what they are doing.  And that's not even touching on the "Harry Bolz" and "Titter" sign on the SF building bullshit.

Plus, in terms of engineering, we saw Musk remove radars/other sensors from the Teslas and yet he's still pumping the self-driving sunshine, even though all of the people in the know are like "yeah, you need to have some actual radars and not just cameras".  He overrode his own engineers on that one.

So yeah, there's nothing to make anybody think that Musk understands much about engineering.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

for the most current bestest insider info hang with longhorn eric berger

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace

i'm seeing conflicting times for the launch

the window opens at 0700

but spacex.com says the stream starts at 0715

and spacex twitter says launch is targeted for 0800

Do you think it's a timezone issue, since technically they are launching in God's Own Timezone CST while the major media reports time in EST?

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:39 PM, NoName said:

First video of Tesla Cybertruck’s absurdly large windshield wiper in action

https://electrek.co/2023/04/13/first-video-of-tesla-cybertrucks-absurdly-large-windshield-wiper-in-action/

it still looks so dumb

Screenshot-2023-04-13-at-7.06.16-PM-e168

If they were smart they would slap some paneling on the side and market this as the El Camino/Ranchero of the future.

1973_El_camino.jpga0493f49cd78ba7fe45be1a1c798852b.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Drool 2

9 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

You're not serious right?  

Elon may have turned into a rich douche bag, but credit where credit is due. Elon started and remains the driving force behind SpaceX.   The fact that he's an ass and a troll doesn't change the fact that he understands the technical aspects of rockets and rocket engines far beyond anyone but top engineering talent. His nose has been as deep as it can get in SpaceX since Day 1. 

I have no problem calling him out of the dumb shit he does, and there is a lot of that, but SpaceX is a grand slam. 

This is a great book that reveals how far his nose is stuck into SpaceX:   https://www.amazon.com/Liftoff-Desperate-Early-Launched-SpaceX/dp/0062979973

51xkt4USk+L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

i mean, idk about you but i would certainly call (in no specific order) Tom Mueller, Gwynne Shotwell and lots of others way more important and way more of a driving force to SpaceX.

if he was that important and that much of a driving force, why is he over here fucking around with TWTR in the corner instead of focusing on SpaceX and getting to Mars? Why did he light $44b on fire instead of investing it back into SpaceX? you know how many years forward that could potentially have jumped them in their development cycle?

hell, half it. you know how much $22b would be worth? SpaceX has raised $9b *total* since 2002. they just raised another $750m late last year/early this year.

i get what you are saying. i am not saying he isn't some level of important to it, but let's not act like he is some brilliant aerospace engineer. if he was, he would focus significantly more of his time on that instead of shitposting on twitter.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean, idk about you but i would certainly call (in no specific order) Tom Mueller, Gwynne Shotwell and lots of others way more important and way more of a driving force to SpaceX.

if he was that important and that much of a driving force, why is he over here fucking around with TWTR in the corner instead of focusing on SpaceX and getting to Mars? Why did he light $44b on fire instead of investing it back into SpaceX? you know how many years forward that could potentially have jumped them in their development cycle?

hell, half it. you know how much $22b would be worth? SpaceX has raised $9b *total* since 2002. they just raised another $750m late last year/early this year.

i get what you are saying. i am not saying he isn't some level of important to it, but let's not act like he is some brilliant aerospace engineer. if he was, he would focus significantly more of his time on that instead of shitposting on twitter.

Because he's an idiot.  But also pretty good at double-tasking.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?