Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

EDIT:  965 beat me to it.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/5/23671100/does-anyone-know-what-npr-did-to-annoy-elon

Does anyone know what NPR did to annoy Elon?

NPR’s Twitter page has been given a “US state-affiliated media” label, a designation normally reserved for outlets like Russia Today or China Xinhua News.

Using the label for NPR directly contradicted Twitter’s own guidelines. “State-financed media organizations with editorial independence, like the BBC in the UK or NPR in the US for example, are not defined as state-affiliated media for the purposes of this policy,” one support page read as of yesterday. Now, however, the page only references the BBC.

Neither US state-owned news network Voice of America, nor the UK’s BBC have had the label applied. So what did NPR do wrong?

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

last time I drove to Dallas from Houston I saw Waymo semi's covered in LIDAR sensors both coming and going on I-45. It gathered a shitload of data on stop and go traffic lol

20220801_170253.jpg

20220801_170250.jpg

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

last time I drove to Dallas from Houston I saw Waymo semi's covered in LIDAR sensors both coming and going on I-45. It gathered a shitload of data on stop and go traffic lol

20220801_170253.jpg

20220801_170250.jpg

Overkill. Just ask Elon. All you need is a couple of cameras and you're good.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We really ought to nationalize SpaceX.  Elron slapped a “US-state affiliated media” on NPR. They forgot to update their policy on that label though. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2f9168e87433fa9626318be68b2ac6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b3d580fb3c8f72ee85ae9919630a0e7.jpeg

See, what you have to understand is that Elon is a pathetic, pathologically dishonest, giant piece of dick.  Once you put those understandings in place, every stupid, pathetic, asinine thing he does makes perfect sense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Move over Elmo!

There’s a new name at the top of Forbes’ 2023 list of the World’s Billionaires: luxury goods tycoon Bernard Arnault of France. He has made it to the pinnacle on the back of a banner year at LVMH: revenue, profits and shares all climbed to record highs, helping to add $53 billion to Arnault’s fortune over the past 12 months, the biggest gain of any billionaire this year. The 74-year-old trained engineer makes the 2023 list with a $211 billion fortune, outpacing last year’s No. 1 Elon Musk (now ranked second) by $31 billion, per Forbes’ calculations.

• Hook 'Em 1

Talking about Twitter Blue checks, of course Swisher and Galloway have something to say about it. First from the shoddy pull back of Blue Checks to the overall situation which is a joke.

Basically what Galloway takes Musk to task for is that he's basically destroyed the value of the blue check. When they are exclusive they have value, when anyone can get them, they have no value. Cued up small chat of 5-10 minutes.

In the end, he's doing what he can to drive away his user base. He isn't going at digg speed (for those of you that remember that website), but Musk is going to dump Twitter right next to it in terms of failed websites.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Talking about Twitter Blue checks, of course Swisher and Galloway have something to say about it. First from the shoddy pull back of Blue Checks to the overall situation which is a joke.

Basically what Galloway takes Musk to task for is that he's basically destroyed the value of the blue check. When they are exclusive they have value, when anyone can get them, they have no value. Cued up small chat of 5-10 minutes.

In the end, he's doing what he can to drive away his user base. He isn't going at digg speed (for those of you that remember that website), but Musk is going to dump Twitter right next to it in terms of failed websites.

I was thinking more in terms of a still-living "aggregator" of content/posts, like this one: https://www.tumblr.com/

Will Twitter continue to exist for a long time?  Probably.  Will it have the ubiquity and use levels it had at its high point?  Very doubtful.  Will it make as much or more revenue than at its high point?  Almost certainly not.

He's aiming for revenue streams that consumers aren't interested in contributing to, while declaring himself a genius for coming up with something few people want to buy.  Shades of:

CueCat_barcode_scanner.jpg

47 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Pour one out for Digg.com

On 4/3/2023 at 10:05 AM, HamsterHookah said:

For all the news and noise of elmo's destruction of Twitter, Tesla is quietly having a great year, bouncing back from last year. Surprising to me as I figured the jig was up with Tesla. Maybe still is, just not yet:. I read somewhere they are up almost 80% I think this year, adding $200bn to Tesla market cap. I guess that's why elmo doesn't care about losing a measly $20 (or 44bn) on Twitter?

I honestly have no idea what the fuck you are babbling about in this thread. The day before elmo announced he was acquiring twitter (4/17/22), the stock price of TSLA closed around $340. So in one year, and largely due to his twitter fuckery, even after its near 90% rally this year, the value of TSLA stock has decreased 45% over that period. That destruction in price of TSLA caused him to lose a lot more money than the $20 billion dollars you mentioned upthread. At the worst of it, this shitshow caused him to lose over $200 billion in the process. And while his true net worth is hard to estimate due to his holdings in SpaceX, etc... this was not some trivial decline. I'm not sure why you make an argument based on an arbitrary 4 month timeline ignoring the 1 year trends. 

And as you acknowledge, TSLA market cap still has a long way to fall. This year will easily provide the most challenging sales environment in Tesla history as the competition just starts to sell EVs in volume providing the customer far greater choices than the TSLA model lineup. Gone are the days Tesla can charge whatever they feel like. And next year will be much more difficult than this year. Rinse/repeat for the foreseeable future. The company is finally on firm financial footing, but that market cap is fucked. 

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-stock-price-q1-deliveries-growing-inventory-price-cuts-tsla-2023-4

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

star wars GIF

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

He's aiming for revenue streams that consumers aren't interested in contributing to, while declaring himself a genius for coming up with something few people want to buy.  Shades of:

CueCat_barcode_scanner.jpg

I picked up one of those for a couple of bucks at some discount electronics store in Austin (maybe The Discount Electronics) - they somehow ended up with boxes of them unopened, and used it for a few years for various little things, mainly scanning books/DVDs/etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I’m not going to bore you with the details but lolno 

It’s not like they don’t have quality attorneys working for them, it’s probably that they are trying to intimidate people into keeping their mouths shut. Like you *may* win on the non disparagement issue, but do you really want to get into a legal battle against an irrational billionaire and hope some judge makes the right call?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m not going to bore you with the details but lolno 

It’s not like they don’t have quality attorneys working for them, it’s probably that they are trying to intimidate people into keeping their mouths shut. Like you *may* win on the non disparagement issue, but do you really want to get into a legal battle against an irrational billionaire and hope some judge makes the right call?

They are sending this out just as a fresh bunch of employees are complaining that they weren't given 60 days of advance notice that they were being laid off, which was what twitter had agreed to do with layoffs.

11 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Had a buddy that got shit canned a few years ago run into something similar.  His former company said even though he didn't sign any agreement, he sure as fuck cashed the severance check so either STFU or pay back the severance money.

Of course Musk is also doing his best to stiff everyone on their severance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Of course Musk is also doing his best to stiff everyone on their severance. 

they are required to file individual arbitration per employee. they are going to end up spending as much in arb costs for hundreds and hundreds of those as they would have spent just paying people out. plus whatever they end up getting hit fine wise for violating the WARN act.

no clue if Lisa Bloom is a good lawyer or not but she has a ton of former twitter employee clients and just field another lawsuit yesterday

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Had a buddy that got shit canned a few years ago run into something similar.  His former company said even though he didn't sign any agreement, he sure as fuck cashed the severance check so either STFU or pay back the severance money.

You can research for yourself why your take is incorrect.

The infantile tantrum continues!

13 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I'm not going to take the time to research to see if it's correct or not.  I wasn't the one that got shit canned and could not care less if he got his severance clawed back or got sued.

30 minutes ago, Chopper said:

28 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Sad Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Maybe he should change the company name to 420-69.com next

Look, is there an 11 year old inside me who thinks that both the actual thing he did, and the suggested thing below, are chuckleworthy?  Yep.  100%

Is that inner 11 year old a pathetic juvenile dumbass who had no game at that age and lived for the cheers and admiration of his similarly dumbass 11 year old buddies?  Also yep.

So, with respect to Elon....this totally checks out.

23 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I'm not going to take the time to research to see if it's correct or not.  I wasn't the one that got shit canned and could not care less if he got his severance clawed back or got sued.

There was a brief time under a highly corrupt former presidential administration when the feds looked askance at employers abusing current and former employees to the full limit of their ability, constrained only by their will. Your friend may have suffered the consequences. However, as you can read here, that's changed.

https://www.cooley.com/news/insight/2023/2023-02-27-nlrb-reverts-to-prior-policy-restricting-employee-nondisparagement-and-confidentiality

< Cooley LLP is one of the largest Bay Area law firms and operates world-wide. >

I was already wondering if elmo is acting out this week because even he sees the writing on the wall. He's easily surpassed his quota for pathetic, huge baby tantrums in one week. He's certainly spit out a lot of baby food.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I was already wondering if elmo is acting out this week because even he sees the writing on the wall. He's easily surpassed his quota for pathetic, huge baby tantrums in one week. He's certainly spit out a lot of baby food.

Yeah, he's starting to ramp it up in terms of doing everything he can to drive companies/adults away from twitter.  It's like he's decided there's no point in even trying to make money with twitter.  I do not think he will be in possession of it by this time next year.  Whether that means Jack and Co. come back and buy it for a fraction of what he paid, or the banks have it, I don't know.  He's still enjoying being the angst-ridden BBS SysOp fucking with everybody and everything, and changing his policies every day it seems.

I wonder if it was really worth it, just to read Grimes' DMs.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/5/2023 at 9:19 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Cool, cool, cool...  This will be awesome once they complete LIDAR mapping of all thoroughfares in the geofenced operating area.  

Meanwhile... I received an OTA update with FSD 11.3.4 over the weekend and put it through its paces today.  It did amazing while:

• Driving on rural county roads
  • Turning from a rural road onto a state highway with 65 mph cross-traffic
  • Automatically changing lanes to pass slower traffic and moving back to the right after passing
  • Navigating a high traffic 45 mph multi-lane road culminating in an unprotected left turn across 2 lanes of 45mph traffic. 

To be fair, I did disengage FSD one time in a pop-up construction area with an unanticipated lane merge.  The car was already in the right lane while approaching the merge, but it tried to get into the left lane in order to get into what was now the faster moving lane.  I'm confident that it would have realized its mistake and merged safely back to the right lane, but not until it pissed off several other drivers, so I intervened.

Version 11 is a vast improvement over previous versions FSD.

Musk is slated to speak on April 18 at the Possible conference from MMA Global, the premier digital marketing association. He’ll be interviewed by NBCU ad chief Linda Yaccarino and make the case that advertisers — who have abandoned Twitter because they don’t believe it’s a safe place to advertise — should return.

But a private email thread among the organization’s board members, obtained by Semafor, suggests he will face a skeptical audience. Top advertisers, including McDonald's and Colgate-Palmolive, are concerned that Musk's comments about race and the platform's openness to racist speech have rendered Twitter toxic.

“For many communities, his willingness to leverage success and personal financial resources to further an agenda under the guise of freedom of speech is perpetuating racism resulting [in] direct threats to their communities and a potential for brand safety compromise we should all be concerned about,” wrote McDonald’s chief marketing and customer experience officer, Tariq Hassan.  “Further, all of us who lead our brand's investments across platforms were required to navigate a situation post-acquisition that objectively can only be characterized as ranging from chaos to moments of irresponsibility.”

Colgate-Palmolive’s vice president and general manager of consumer experience and growth, Diana Haussling, wrote to the group that she was “both excited for the success of the conference while also mindful of the harmful and often racist rhetoric of Elon Musk.”

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

So, one point for “visionary”, then?

“Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars”

https://www.reuters.com/technology/tesla-workers-shared-sensitive-images-recorded-by-customer-cars-2023-04-06/?utm_source=reddit.com

Tesla Inc assures its millions of electric car owners that their privacy “is and will always be enormously important to us.” The cameras it builds into vehicles to assist driving, it notes on its website, are “designed from the ground up to protect your privacy.”

But between 2019 and 2022, groups of Tesla employees privately shared via an internal messaging system sometimes highly invasive videos and images recorded by customers’ car cameras, according to interviews by Reuters with nine former employees.

Also shared: crashes and road-rage incidents. One crash video in 2021 showed a Tesla driving at high speed in a residential area hitting a child riding a bike, according to another ex-employee. The child flew in one direction, the bike in another. The video spread around a Tesla office in San Mateo, California, via private one-on-one chats, “like wildfire,” the ex-employee said.

We could see inside people's garages and their private properties,” said another former employee. “Let's say that a Tesla customer had something in their garage that was distinctive, you know, people would post those kinds of things.”

Tesla didn't respond to detailed questions sent to the company for this report.

About three years ago, some employees stumbled upon and shared a video of a unique submersible vehicle parked inside a garage, according to two people who viewed it. Nicknamed “Wet Nellie,” the white Lotus Esprit sub had been featured in the 1977 James Bond film, “The Spy Who Loved Me.”

The vehicle’s owner: Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, who had bought it for about $968,000 at an auction in 2013. It is not clear whether Musk was aware of the video or that it had been shared.

Interesting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?