Vivid Dreams

F250

Has anyone ever experienced a vivid dream before? I've had a pretty bad ear infection this week and haven't been sleeping well but when I did fall asleep, holy shit, my dreams have been a trip.

I have had sleep paralysis, waking dreams and lucid dreams many times throughout my life so I am familiar with some weird dreams but never experienced a vivid dream until this week.

I won't go into the details but the first one I had was almost like reliving a moment I had my sophomore year in college. It was about a girl, nothing R rated, but damn it felt so real even after I had been awake for awhile. It wasn't dreamlike at all, felt very lifelike.

The next day I had a dream that was a bizarre apocalyptic dream that was partially animated and felt like a Pendleton Ward creation. It was like Adventure Time meets Stanley Kubrick. The only other time I had an animated dream was when I was on morphine 20 years ago.

The last one was a bizarre Twin Peaks hill billy Alice in Wonderland type dream. It was so damn weird yet humorous. I wish I could have DVR'd it.

The weird thing is they are all so clear. Like dreaming in 4k and feel like an actual experience.

All the time.

One thing I have is an "Alternate Earth" dreamscape of towns I know in real life but in the dreams there are slight differences I don't realize until I wake up. These places exist as if on a real map. and years later I might have more dreams where I am near the same place again.

Yes, I have them frequently.  You want to experience some?  Here's a tip - eat some really spicy peppers at dinner.  I like fresh habaneros chopped fine and sprinkled on a home made pizza (before going in the oven).  Guarantee you will dream in vivid full color.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Has anyone ever experienced a vivid dream before? I've had a pretty bad ear infection this week and haven't been sleeping well but when I did fall asleep, holy shit, my dreams have been a trip.

I have had sleep paralysis, waking dreams and lucid dreams many times throughout my life so I am familiar with some weird dreams but never experienced a vivid dream until this week.

I won't go into the details but the first one I had was almost like reliving a moment I had my sophomore year in college. It was about a girl, nothing R rated, but damn it felt so real even after I had been awake for awhile. It wasn't dreamlike at all, felt very lifelike.

The next day I had a dream that was a bizarre apocalyptic dream that was partially animated and felt like a Pendleton Ward creation. It was like Adventure Time meets Stanley Kubrick. The only other time I had an animated dream was when I was on morphine 20 years ago.

The last one was a bizarre Twin Peaks hill billy Alice in Wonderland type dream. It was so damn weird yet humorous. I wish I could have DVR'd it.

The weird thing is they are all so clear. Like dreaming in 4k and feel like an actual experience.

You aren't on Chantix are you?

I've had four or five that I can remember with clarity, going back to when I was five or six. In the most recent, I was in the poorly lit living room of the house where I grew up. My parents were gone but I could feel the presence of my wife in one of the bedrooms around the corner. I had gotten up to find her when an alert came in on my phone - an animated graphic of a comet about to hit the Earth with the word IMMINENT below it. I felt the ground shake and heat and blinding light to my right side. Then I woke up. Creepy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crackamacgowski said:

I've had four or five that I can remember with clarity, going back to when I was five or six. In the most recent, I was in the poorly lit living room of the house where I grew up. My parents were gone but I could feel the presence of my wife in one of the bedrooms around the corner. I had gotten up to find her when an alert came in on my phone - an animated graphic of a comet about to hit the Earth with the word IMMINENT below it. I felt the ground shake and heat and blinding light to my right side. Then I woke up. Creepy.

Dammit!  Don’t dream us in to Bolivia man!! 

• Like 1

I tend to have them on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I'll wake up at 5 am when my alarm is set to go off during the week, then I'll lay there in a half-sleep till the kids come busting down our door an hour or so later. It's in that window of time that the really vivid stuff happens.

Yes. Had one last night. I stayed with my high school sweetheart instead of breaking up when I went to college. We were still together. When I woke up, I was surprised my wife was lying next to me and not the girl I dated in high school who I hadn't seen for 15 years. Panicked a little. The dream was so real, I didn't know why I was in bed with someone else. Weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

Yes, I have them frequently.  You want to experience some?  Here's a tip - eat some really spicy peppers at dinner.  I like fresh habaneros chopped fine and sprinkled on a home made pizza (before going in the oven).  Guarantee you will dream in vivid full color.

Interesting. So you dreamed you were eating a habanero pizza?

Seriously, the interesting part is the morphine connection to vivid dreams and the endorphins released by the peppers. Since I don't have access to any morphine it's worth a try.

54 minutes ago, Quagmire said:

Had a vivid dream about your mom last night, pretty sure it was real though . I mean it’s pretty hard to cum on a dreams face.

it took 13 posts for someone's mom to show up? it's like I don't even know you people any more...

Edited by Dennis Taylor

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

Vivid dreams, no.  Sleep paralysis?  Absolutely, complete with the black ghost and everything.  Only in one particular house, though, when I was in college.  Never anywhere else.

I've had that one a off and on through out my life. My 17 year old recently had it. I told him some people are prone to sleep paralysis and I guess he took it after me.

50 minutes ago, NaTeWHO said:

Yes. Had one last night. I stayed with my high school sweetheart instead of breaking up when I went to college. We were still together. When I woke up, I was surprised my wife was lying next to me and not the girl I dated in high school who I hadn't seen for 15 years. Panicked a little. The dream was so real, I didn't know why I was in bed with someone else. Weird.

Yeah, that's what my dream was like. I expected to see the girl after I was already awake. Took a little bit of time to separate the dream from reality.

26 minutes ago, F250 said:

No, although I've heard that stuff messes with your sleep.

I don't smoke but I know 2 couples who got divorced over Chantix and I know a 20 year old who had scary dreams after taking it.

All the time, and they are usually terrifying along a theme of I'm trapped with a bunch of people in a structure about to be attacked by some unknown horde of zombies/monsters/aggy. I'm just running around looking for a weakness in our defenses. Eventually  they break through and I start killing the fuckers. It never ends.. then i wake up.

Worst and most vivid one I had was where an ex-girlfriend shot me in the throat with a shotgun.  I could remember, and FEEL, spinning around and falling chest down.  I remember seeing the ex sitting on the floor in front of me, white as a sheet from fright and spattered heavily with my blood.  I remember trying to raise my head, but being unable to, because all the muscles were blasted away.  I remember trying to say something, but only wet gurgling noises coming out.  I remember dying, with everything fading to black, and then fading to something I can only describe as "beyond black", like a dark grayish mist.  After God knows how much time, could've been between 2-3 seconds up to 30 seconds, I woke up, screaming and drenched in sweat so bad you'd have thought I just got out of the shower. 

I remember actually feeling, a tactile feeling, every little thing that happened.  The coldness of the granite floor, the slight wet warmth of my blood, even the pain of the shotgun blast, which was like a very painful stinging and ripping feeling.  Every little detail was so sharp and vivid.  That dream scared the hell out of me so badly I couldn't sleep for the next 3 nights.  On the fourth night I only got 2 hours.

interesting this just came up I probably had the biggest one by far the other night (I generally do not have them at all, but eating peppers seems to bring them on although the other night I had not)

anyway some random guy was half assed attacking one of my former neighbors (he was not raping her just pushing her down on the ground) and in the dream I started to chase after him and into my yard where I reached out to grab for him and right then I woke up and thrust my hand out and banged it into the blinds and window behind them (pretty much in the dream, but waking up right at the same time and thinking WTF I just punched my window)

that was far and away the biggest real world reaction to a dream I had ever had with the only other closer ones being when something bad is about to happen and you are frozen and can't move even though you are waking up and realizing you are dreaming, but still wanting to move

as an aside I used to smoke a shit ton of weed and I have known for a long time that for whatever reason I never remembered any of my dreams at all or even remembered dreaming when I smoked weed.....I have always wondered if medical science does not need to look into that for PTSD people that have vivid dreams that wake them or keep them from sleeping

1 hour ago, Buffsoldier said:

Worst and most vivid one I had was where an ex-girlfriend shot me in the throat with a shotgun.  I could remember, and FEEL, spinning around and falling chest down.  I remember seeing the ex sitting on the floor in front of me, white as a sheet from fright and spattered heavily with my blood.  I remember trying to raise my head, but being unable to, because all the muscles were blasted away.  I remember trying to say something, but only wet gurgling noises coming out.  I remember dying, with everything fading to black, and then fading to something I can only describe as "beyond black", like a dark grayish mist.  After God knows how much time, could've been between 2-3 seconds up to 30 seconds, I woke up, screaming and drenched in sweat so bad you'd have thought I just got out of the shower. 

I remember actually feeling, a tactile feeling, every little thing that happened.  The coldness of the granite floor, the slight wet warmth of my blood, even the pain of the shotgun blast, which was like a very painful stinging and ripping feeling.  Every little detail was so sharp and vivid.  That dream scared the hell out of me so badly I couldn't sleep for the next 3 nights.  On the fourth night I only got 2 hours.

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

So last night I'm dreaming the usual long dreams that are all over the map, and end up in some convention in San Antonio talking with an idiot Silicon Valley exec whose wife buys supplies for big buildings with patients (but that's not important right now.)  He's been yapping all day about the great deals on soft drinks he's getting from side vendors, and as we finally leave he starts raving about HEB, and keeps asking if he should try Walmart across the street.  Meanwhile my left leg has somehow become entangled in a shopping cart and keeps getting further twisted into it instead of out.  Of course I woke up with a huge cramp in my left calf, rolling around as a result.

Cool dream bro, but:

1.  Is the mind reacting to the start of the pain sensation and then coming up with an instantaneous damn movie some kind of explanation?  I know we dream a whole lot faster than real time (I dunno, what seems like hours in some dreams may actually be just minutes or seconds?) but all the cramps I've ever had while awake were immediately intense, not a ramped up pain.  Seems too fast for some of the clearly related dreams I've had before a cramp wakes me up (happens a few times a year.)

2. Or does the body give the brain an early tip that, hey, things are starting to get out of whack here, we're probably gonna schedule a cramp soon.  Then the mind switches to that theme while continuing the usual REM stage maintenance, until eventually getting to the big cramp reveal?

• Hook 'Em 1

I know that if you've had a few beers the night before, and you start dreaming about taking a piss that seems unending, you'd better get your ass up right then and there and go to the bathroom because you are on the verge of pissing yourself.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Absolutely.  Almost every night.  I can usually recall at least 4 dreams upon waking every morning which, I assumed was normal until talking about it with others.  When I was a kid, I had to see a psychiatrist because vivid dreams aren't always cool for a child.  I'd freak out almost every night.  

The doc had told my parents not to startle me awake when I was having a nightmare/vivid dream.  They were to turn on the hall light and slowly bring me toward it.  Problem is, in my dream, I had hands pulling me into a dark pit.  I was fighting the hands both in my dream and in real life.

As an adult, they're cool.  Except for last week I herniated a disc in my back. I've been mostly bedridden and the dreams have actually been more vivid with the introduction of the meds I'm on.  Had a dream a few days ago in which I was fighting someone.  I woke up throwing punches which was not good for my back.

By far, the most vivid dreams I had was a when I was on Phenadrine (probably spelled that wrong but I'm speaking of the anti-nausea medicine).  I just about had the ability to think about what I wanted to dream about and then fall asleep dreaming of it.  

34 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

That would be bad ass.  Know what I would dream of every night?  Two chicks at the same time.

I tried.  I could get into deep thoughts about whatever as I hovered between awake and asleep. Then dream about it. Iirc, I did have one pretty good sex dream.

21 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

There’s a mineral supplement called ZMA that makes your dreams wild as shit.  It even warns you about it on the bottle.  Pop three of those and a Xanax and get ready to shake hands with God, Barney the dinosaur, and your dead grandmother.

Grammaw, that's NOT my hand!

I don't remember my dreams unless I quit smoking the weed.  Then I spend 2 weeks of shitty sleep because I have nightmares for a week or so.  It's easier just to keep smoking lol.

I did punch my then girlfriend in the nose during a dream once where I was wandering around a half finished house and some homeless dude tried to slash my throat.  It was a fight or flight moment and I choose to throw a left handed haymaker that connected squarely on her nose while she slept.  Blood gushing from her nose, she then fainted on the bathroom floor.  Two black eyes later, her rather large friend was seriously ready to kill me.  Took some talking to get out of that one.

The muscle relaxers I'm on are doing wonders for my dreams right now.  I've fallen asleep a couple of times and ended up dreaming about whatever was going on on the tv.

One thing I dont understand.  I thought u had to be in rem to dream.  And it takes awhile to get into to rem.  Yesterday I was watching a football game replay.  I was wide awake at 13 mins to go in the 3rd qtr.  I fell asleep, had a vivid dream, and was back awake at 6 mins to go in the 3rd.

Last night I had the usual sort of dream where I'm going around doing stuff including eating lunch in a Mexican restaurant, and during this dream I looked at my phone to check Surly, and found out I had been banned for a week because some user reacted to one of my posts with "disgust". "Disgust" was a new feature and resulted in a one-week auto-ban.

So I sat in the Mexican restaurant (in my dream) and thought, "This could be a good thing. I could make a lot of money during the time I don't post on Surly. I could walk around in the real world and actually do stuff. If any of these fuckers ever pass through Alabama and want to hang out, I'll give them my phone #. But if not, OK."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have sleep apnea, so 2 and a half years ago i was getting a cpap titration done where they are testing the proper air pressure to use on my cpap.  When they reach the correct pressure, my apneas stop and I finally reach my first REM sleep in years.  Part of this sleep study is they film me to watch my movements in bed.  For the first time in a long time I dream vividly that I and having sex with this woman I liked.  I had her on her back, legs up and I was going to town on her.  Anyways, while I was dreaming, I was on my side thrusting my hips in the humping motion pretty rapidly.   They wake me up like 20 minutes later to end the study since it was close to 5:30 am.  I mention to the technician that I was dreaming vividly and he goes: "we saw you thrashing around...."  I didn't tell him I was dreaming about pound town, lol

On 7/20/2018 at 5:59 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

One thing I dont understand.  I thought u had to be in rem to dream.  And it takes awhile to get into to rem.  Yesterday I was watching a football game replay.  I was wide awake at 13 mins to go in the 3rd qtr.  I fell asleep, had a vivid dream, and was back awake at 6 mins to go in the 3rd.

If it was a Big 12 replay, there’s a decent chance that part of the game spanned 3 hours. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Had a super vivid dream last night.

It was a Brady Bunch reunion. I was Bobby in the dream.

Started innocent enough, but then descended into a Salo-type orgy of decadence and brutality. It was pretty bad. Marcia was a FREAK.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ajax said:

Had a super vivid dream last night.

It was a Brady Bunch reunion. I was Bobby in the dream.

Started innocent enough, but then descended into a Salo-type orgy of decadence and brutality. It was pretty bad. Marcia was a FREAK.

Brady Bunch Jan GIF by MOODMAN