Box of cables... trash or no?

Box of cables... trash or no?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Been doing heavy spring cleaning. I now have a box of computer cables, a box of audio cables, and a box of wall pug transformers

• Keep them! You'll need them the day after you throw them out
    • Trash them You'll never find the one you're looking for in there anyway

i organized all mine a few years back into usb, hdmi/dp, network, power, and misc.  trashed all the ones with broken plugs or felt like they were cheap.  then trashed a lot of the duplicates.  still have a big box of cables but its only one big box of cables.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i organized all mine a few years back into usb, hdmi/dp, network, power, and misc.  trashed all the ones with broken plugs or felt like they were cheap.  then trashed a lot of the duplicates.  still have a big box of cables but its only one big box of cables.

same... probably will never touch them or need them (until I eventually throw them out)

you are probably lookin at $20 for any cable(s)/plugs you "might" need later on that Amazon can get in a day.... it's not worth $20 to keep them IMO

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

Ditch the obsolete ones for items you no longer use like iPod chargers. If you have no tech that would use the cable then move it on. If you may need it for expansion like HDMI, USB, or networking cables, keep them. Organizing by type is a great idea. I have computer cables and all the myriad of USB charging cables for various battery packs in one box. A/V cables in a different one. If it's an expensive cable, keep it. If it's something you're never going to use again like a component video cable or S-Video, trash it. 

MD’s right. Ditch the shit that’s obsolete, or all but obsolete.

Even old HDMI or network cables. If it isn’t at least hdmi 2.1, or cat-6, chuck it.

USB 1 or 2? Bye.

Don’t feel bad though. I have the same clutter of shit. It piles up, what can ya do? Oh right, toss it. Easier said than done sometimes.  

14 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

MD’s right. Ditch the shit that’s obsolete, or all but obsolete.

Even old HDMI or network cables. If it isn’t at least hdmi 2.1, or cat-6, chuck it.

USB 1 or 2? Bye.

Don’t feel bad though. I have the same clutter of shit. It piles up, what can ya do? Oh right, toss it. Easier said than done sometimes.  

Most usb c cables are usb 2. The shielding for proper usb 3 makes the cables pretty stiff (read: annoying to deal with while on your phone in bed while charging).

Went through a box two weekends ago.  Tossed a ton of stereo rca, composite, early gen. hdmi, coax connectors, a 10’ 30 pin apple cord….  Put it all out at the curb a few days before heavy trash day. No one wanted it. 

csb/ I had a gift gym bag that I got with a cologne set I got in 9th grade from Drakkar Noir.  I kept that thing with me for 30+ years.  And as was the mode of the day, I had in it all my stereo cables, cords, adapters, plugs, etc.  Couple years ago, my wife just got sick of it taking up space in one of our storage cabinets.  And to be fair, most of the cables and stuff in it were completely obsolete.  But I felt like Sam Malone would have felt giving up 'the Babe Kit.'  The hours I had to work to afford some of that overpriced speaker wire and cable extensions.  I shall mourn tonight...

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate this thread.

I have so many cables, adapters, plugs, cords taking up space in drawers and boxes.

Who doesn't need a YRGB? Well, I have five of them just in case I fire up an old DVD player 

This weekend, I shall take a picture of the shit I'm throwing away.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just threw out a wad of old iPhone cords. 4 of the old 5w lightning, and 2 from before that. They were buried in one of the arms of the old couch. Found ‘em when I cleaned it out last night, before the new ones come tomorrow.

Just grabbed 2 trash bags; one keep, one toss. Didn’t even use the keep bag. Just set it aside and used a plastic bag, which was only half full and half of that was remotes. 

12 hours ago, Slacks said:

I hate this thread.

I have so many cables, adapters, plugs, cords taking up space in drawers and boxes.

Who doesn't need a YRGB? Well, I have five of them just in case I fire up an old DVD player 

This weekend, I shall take a picture of the shit I'm throwing away.

yeah?

What if you want to put the dvd player a long way for the TV stereo?   I even have a few of these bad boys!

rca-connector-audio-video-3-rca-female-t

If you think this sucks, wait till you see the up coming Flat screen TV stand/digital camera thread.

Also,

Shout out to all you assholes for keeping the voting 50/50... real helpful, but well played.

I went through all of mine a few weeks back.  About once every few years I do that.  All the extras that come with new devices etc. I know Apple got sued for it by a few countries, but it's dumb that ever device needs to come with a new cable and box. Terrible for the environment and a complete waste as usually they are shitty versions anyway.  

This year is when the YRGB, the old DVD player, the old lightning, anything under Cat6 and some random USB sticks got tossed.  I easily tossed 2/3rds of it.  Trying to standardize purchases on USB C but there are still a ton of needs for micro and occasionally mini.  It's really annoying that companies still use those, specifically anything cheap from China.

• Rage+1 2

Must have been in the air this weekend. We cleaned out a couple shelves in our office/computer and I trashed some parallel port printer cables, dsub 25 ribbon cable and a dsub25 male to male cable used with Carbon Copy or some other disk copy software back in the day. Also pitched some old software: Flight Sim 97, Visual Studio 2003, etc. kept the OEM MS-Dos 6.22 diskettes still in shrink wrap.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, locodos said:

yeah?

What if you want to put the dvd player a long way for the TV stereo?   I even have a few of these bad boys!

rca-connector-audio-video-3-rca-female-t

If you think this sucks, wait till you see the up coming Flat screen TV stand/digital camera thread.

Also,

Shout out to all you assholes for keeping the voting 50/50... real helpful, but well played.

Dammit. I only have the individual RCA couplers!

• Haha 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:34 AM, Kennythetiger said:

A lot of these commercials aren’t funny anymore. 

Im definitely starting to empathize with the patients.

Those cables will cost $19.95 each to replace so, if a box in my attic has 1 I ever need... Just dont pay to move it. 

• Like 1

Pos rep for Jensen callback.  

I think about the fact that I literally worked probably 2 weeks over a number of years just to afford some of these ridiculously obsolete adapters and cables.  And I genuinely don't know if it was a good lesson in work ethics or a horrible mistake.  

I still have a 100' of coaxial cable and the two end-adapters in case I need to steal cable from one of my neighbors, none of whom have fucking cable anymore.  What am I clinging to?  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Two weeks ago, my wife organized my drawer of cables, wires, and adapters and put each one in a labeled ziplock bag.  I didn't much see the point, but damned if I didn't need a micro-usb to charge an old portable speaker the following weekend and *BOOM* found it, used it, tossed it loose back in the drawer

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Pos rep for Jensen callback.  

I think about the fact that I literally worked probably 2 weeks over a number of years just to afford some of these ridiculously obsolete adapters and cables.  And I genuinely don't know if it was a good lesson in work ethics or a horrible mistake.  

I still have a 100' of coaxial cable and the two end-adapters in case I need to steal cable from one of my neighbors, none of whom have fucking cable anymore.  What am I clinging to?  

I still have a crimping tool and ferrules.

The pending Great Garage cleanup of 2024 is going to be a Bataan death march of decluttering.  

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 9:48 AM, BottleRocket said:

I've carried this box of OG cables and shit around for my entire adult life.  Even the box it's kept in is an antique.  

Ma Bell.jpg

Frankenstein switches are so cool

• Hook 'Em 1