Washington @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

As far as offense, people remarked about the approach.  Everyone swinging for the fence on all counts with a few exceptions.  Beyond that I am really disappointed in our lack of running game and putting pressure on defenses.   I thought with Thomas, Kennedy, Duplantier, Flores we were going to create some havoc on the bases.  We have 13 steals in 18 games.

since we don't have any other coaches to fire(no one cares about womens soccer apparently)next year, CDC should be working on baseball.  There is no reason we have to look so shitty 6 years in and he didn't hire Pierce anyway

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

since we don't have any other coaches to fire(no one cares about womens soccer apparently)next year, CDC should be working on baseball.  There is no reason we have to look so shitty 6 years in and he didn't hire Pierce anyway

Which is hysterical considering we have a "Fire Rodney Terry" thread burning through pages but "Fire David Pierce" apparently hurt people's feelings. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

There’s not a single ‘dude’ on the roster. Just a bunch of O’Dowds. It’s time to fire pierce and hire Tulo.

What gives you confidence Troy Tulowitzki and his 0 years of head coaching experience is who should be coaching us moving forward?

It’s funny you mention we have a bunch of O’Dowds on this team because you wanna know who the GM for the Rockies was when Tulo was there and who is his son is? Tulo was one of the biggest reasons Jack transferred to Texas.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Which is hysterical considering we have a "Fire Rodney Terry" thread burning through pages but "Fire David Pierce" apparently hurt people's feelings. 

Yes, but no one has started a "Pierce 4Evar" thread...

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yes, but no one has started a "Pierce 4Evar" thread...

Which I started, tongue in cheek, to combat the fire RT sentiment. 

I don't think you're making the point you think you are. 

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What gives you confidence Troy Tulowitzki and his 0 years of head coaching appearance is who should be coaching us moving forward?

It’s funny you mention we have a bunch of O’Dowds on this team because you wanna know who the GM for the Rockies was when Tulo was there and who is his son is? Tulo was one of the biggest reasons Jack transferred to Texas.

O'Dowd is so fucking far down the list of problems for this team. 

29 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

There’s not a single ‘dude’ on the roster. Just a bunch of O’Dowds. It’s time to fire pierce and hire Tulo.

Powell is easily a dude. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

As far as offense, people remarked about the approach.  Everyone swinging for the fence on all counts with a few exceptions.  Beyond that I am really disappointed in our lack of running game and putting pressure on defenses.   I thought with Thomas, Kennedy, Duplantier, Flores we were going to create some havoc on the bases.  We have 13 steals in 18 games.

Our approach at the plate drives me nuts. As you said, swinging for the fences. What happened to the traditional way of driving down and through the ball? These guys swinging like they’re Adam Dunn. 

I might be done with Pierce. I didn’t really mind the slow starts cause we were rolling by May, and that might still be the case this year. But fuck. Sick of losing to aggy. Sick of the slow starts. 6 years in, we should have have at least 3 reliable starters, 3 catchers and a fucking closer. But we don’t. And it fucking sucks 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Let me know when y’all realize this team is playing to earn its right to the CWS on the road. They prefer the challenge to the ease of winning it at home.

I’ll have what he’s having. Hemlock is it? 

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Big ups to Boogie. 

One of the very few bright spots in very underperforming pitching staff.

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Alright!! Galvan double to start off 9th. 
what exactly is Galvan’s reason for not playing catcher any more?

Took a ball a few games ago off of his catching thumb.

Has an injury to the disc in the thumb. Another 3 weeks without catching before back behind the plate.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Once dude has accomplished zero with his own team, the other has 3 trips to Omaha. Same same 

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There will be plenty of time remaining in this season to crack jokes and bitch about the pitching coach.

In our last 4 losses we have scored 2 runs, 2 runs, 3 runs and 3 runs.

We will probably lead this sorry conference in ERA again for the 4th straight year because other staffs appear to be ass as well. We talk about SEC arms, how about we learn to hit the type of pitching we've seen the last two nights? 89-92 with some life and good command, because if we can't solve that simple riddle it won't matter what else happens.

hitting is gonna have off nights.  pitching and defense(especially D) are supposed to be the bedrock.  this is they way winning baseball go if you don't count the LSU gorilla ball 90's.

yes we could hit better but we also scored 10 and 5 in losses.  portal and NIL is going to make it that much harder to develop high school prospects.  you better have a coach and program that kids are going to question if they want to leave.

It is strange, Pierce has made 3 CWS but we never really have dominated save 2021.  I want to believe he's the guy but man we have had some rough starts and pitching seems to always be pretty good but not great.  I just don't trust he can get us there.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

hitting is gonna have off nights.  pitching and defense(especially D) are supposed to be the bedrock.  this is they way winning baseball go if you don't count the LSU gorilla ball 90's.

yes we could hit better but we also scored 10 and 5 in losses.  portal and NIL is going to make it that much harder to develop high school prospects.  you better have a coach and program that kids are going to question if they want to leave.

It is strange, Pierce has made 3 CWS but we never really have dominated save 2021.  I want to believe he's the guy but man we have had some rough starts and pitching seems to always be pretty good but not great.  I just don't trust he can get us there.

Pitching and defense will always be important, but it’s also notable that teams are hitting like never before at this level. Strike zones have shrunk, walks are up, less small ball and giving up outs, more homers. It’s probably a conversation for another day/time, but building this team for the SEC is going to be different. You have to be able to hit up and down the lineup in that league. Every team outside of Tennessee had a ERA north of 5 in SEC play last year. The average team ERA in the SEC has increased every year for I believe 8 or 9 years in a row. You just don’t see many 3-2 type games outside of the occasional Friday night pitchers duel.

Even in the NIL age, the odds of you having 3 high caliber starting pitchers on the same staff is pretty rare. Arkansas is the exception this year. LSU won it all last year with Paul Skenes, two good relievers (Cooper and Ackenhausen) and a good offense. Couldn’t even tell you who their 2nd and 3rd starters were. Their team ERA in SEC play was 6.17.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

We need a great coach….who can hire great assistants…who knows the game, inside and out.  They will handle all the details that we are complaining about.  This needs to be on top of CDC’s to-do list.

Can someone make a gif of Augie as one of those force ghosts? 

Few things in life are certain….but him not being “the guy” is pretty much a goddamn certainty.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pitching and defense will always be important, but it’s also notable that teams are hitting like never before at this level. Strike zones have shrunk, walks are up, less small ball and giving up outs, more homers. It’s probably a conversation for another day/time, but building this team for the SEC is going to be different. You have to be able to hit up and down the lineup in that league. Every team outside of Tennessee had a ERA north of 5 in SEC play last year. The average team ERA in the SEC has increased every year for I believe 8 or 9 years in a row. You just don’t see many 3-2 type games outside of the occasional Friday night pitchers duel.

Even in the NIL age, the odds of you having 3 high caliber starting pitchers on the same staff is pretty rare. Arkansas is the exception this year. LSU won it all last year with Paul Skenes, two good relievers (Cooper and Ackenhausen) and a good offense. Couldn’t even tell you who their 2nd and 3rd starters were. Their team ERA in SEC play was 6.17.

To add to this

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

To add to this

So let Boogie pitch like 20 innings each weekend because he's the only one who can paint the current zone (and he can throw a lot since he's not taxing his arm at 85mph) and then let him be our pitching coach when he graduates. I'll give CDC my routing number. 

This is it. The instruction and reps is massively increased and better than when I was a kid. It’s also brings about more depth and competition to more teams. And you can’t leave them on the field all day to outwork your opponents either.

People here struggle to understand baseball as it is today. Kids are repping the hell out of it like never before. They have technology and infinitely better training backing the hitting. But the smaller strike zone is big too. You see it on occasion with that wide strike call. Totally screws with the hitter. One it’s a bogus strike and two it screws with the head and opens up chasing pitches.

The staff has taken a step back, but the biggest issue is Witt. Is that Pierces fault this far removed from his surgery? What about Duplantier? He came on strong but has not returned to that level. I have a question there.

You jackwagons are too willing to give up on guys and talk yourself into shit you want to believe. If the skills are there, you have to allow a player to work through those issues. That doesn’t mean they start every game, that doesn’t mean the leash is infinitely long, but baseball at every level since the beginning of time has ups and downs and fits of streaks. More than any sport.

Wake had the great staff last year. It didn’t get them a title or a CWS finals appearance. I was thinking they lost a top pitcher to the portal this year. One of Tennessee’s biggest arms last year was relegated to the pen but had some nice post season moments. Hit the portal. In the end, Skenes had the biggest performance of the year for LSU. Top MLB draft pick. LSU bought right.

It’s frustrating to play like this. But we could have skipped the opening tourney and notched 3 more wins. Our RPI and SOS entering this weekend were pretty strong. Everything for this team is on the table. Witt needs to progress. LBJ needs to go deeper in games. Hurley needs to not be given up on. There’s nothing wrong with a bullpen guy starting game 3 then Hurley taking you 5/6. That’s where he was best last year.

There’s quite a bit of ability in the lineup. We will see about the consistency and growth. Belyeu and Flores have trended up this year. Thomas has started strong. You need to win games like yesterday at a very high clip.

I’m still on the limit of this team is likely on LBJ, Witt and Hurley. To do what they’ve done in their individual pasts. Perhaps even improve over that since they’ve got a years maturity.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Pretty sure Pierce wasnt the first, second, or third choice for HC when he was hired

Id absolutely trust in CDC nailing this hire, should it present itself

Why does it matter what choice he was when hired? In what way is that relevant to the results produced?

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No new inning after 4:30. And if they don’t think they can get a full 9 in before that then it is probably just going to get banged all together.

Yup sounds like we are missing out today. I guess I have actually do shit now