Texas (+6.5) vs Tennessee - Saturday at 7pm on CBS

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

A well coached tennesse team wins tonight’s game by 15+ easily 

I know I am automatically losing this argument on here by agreeing with Helo but yeah, this. 

Edited by MrX

That was just a terrible game by Texas. And also a terrible game by Tennessee, which is why we only lost by 4. If we played them 10 times, I think we only win 2-3 times. Really bad matchup.

I thought Mitchell and Brock both played great defense on Knecht, holding him to 5-18 shooting. And for as bad as our 3 point defense has been all year, it was nice seeing bad brick after bad brick from Tennessee from 3.

Ultimately the turnovers and second chance points killed us. And we still had a chance at the end. Ooof. Disappointing. I feel bad for Disu to go out like that after he had such an amazing Big12 tourney and first round last year.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MrX said:

Your connotation suggests Rick worked circles around Terry tonight. I disagree. 

what are you talking about? “the master beat the apprentice”. that’s it. are you seeing some parenthetical phrase exalting the coaching job that barnes did tonight or something? you’re bending over backwards to warp a phrase that requires no extra interpretation.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what are you talking about? “the master beat the apprentice”. that’s it. are you seeing some parenthetical phrase exalting the coaching job that barnes did tonight or something? you’re bending over backwards to warp a phrase that requires no extra interpretation.

You then went on to clarify that post by discussing just that, but here is the context of your post:

“tennessee missed a ton of bunnies and open looks, but their players were so much more disciplined and avoided taking the plethora of stupid shots that we did. we left their poor shooters unmanned on the perimeter and those guys never once considered shooting, instead opting for quick, decisive passes to keep the offense flowing. that’s coaching. the master beat the apprentice tonight, and the shot selection may be the biggest reason why.”

No parenthetical. That’s what you said, Tenn is disciplined, shot selection was better, that’s coaching, master > apprentice.

Yet Tenn is a bad shooting team from 3, kept hoisting them up instead of playing to their strengths, and kept a Texas team playing like shit in the game because of it. Texas open looks and Tenn open looks from three were even to my eyes. I’m already upthread on record as to why I thought we lost. But your post 100 percent states coaching mattered in this game. I just thought it was pretty shitty all around. 

59 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

“the master vs the apprentice”. there’s no editorializing there, that’s what this coaching matchup was.

Borderline racist talk.

Just kidding.  Don't stroke out about it.  Or at least don't make 100 posts stroking out about it.

Cool?

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

A well coached tennesse team wins tonight’s game by 15+ easily 

The next time that happens on Rocky Top will be the first. That game was just, well, something. I put it on at work and regret doing so. That was a slap fight and the winner is going to get a beat down next week. I give UT credit for their effort though. They played hard when I was watching. They just are lacking in high level talent.

The next time that happens on Rocky Top will be the first. That game was just, well, something. I put it on at work and regret doing so. That was a slap fight and the winner is going to get a beat down next week. I give UT credit for their effort though. They played hard when I was watching. They just are lacking in high level talent.

FIFY

Tough loss but great to fight until the last second. For those of you putting on a Texas uniform for the

last time, congrats for all of your hard work and dedication. I hope that great things are in

everyone of your futures. For those of you that have the ability to come back next year, I hope that you

do with a sense of the opportunity that is ahead of you. Use this tough loss as motivation for the future.

That was a shitty game of basketball all around. Unless you really like watching bad offense and turnovers. Tyrese Hunter is the master of driving into the paint like he's gonna do something, then dropping off a shitty pass to an unsuspecting teammate who is out of position to do anything with it.

• Rage+1 2

Tennessee shot more free throws(intentional fouls at the end), out rebounded us by 11(13-6 orb), and we had 16 turnovers and lost by 4. That stat line should easily be a 10-15 point win in almost all games. Everything we needed to happen to have a shot to win did happen but we doubled down on careless passes and dumb decisions to secure the loss. Maddening.

Hunter has to go but I’m afraid we will have him back another season. It will be interesting to see who RT goes after in the portal but we need some size on the front line and a true PG if we want to make any noise next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hunter has to go but I’m afraid we will have him back another season. 

What an underachiever here.  For his sake and ours, Hunter should transfer to reboot his career.  It's not working at Texas.  

• Pancho unpinned this topic
8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I haven't watched much until the last couple of weeks -- does Mitchell have any offensive moves?  Have they ever run a play for him that's not a lob?

Nope.  Earlier in the season he tried some post-up spin moves with his back to the basket on the baseline and drives with sort pull-ups, but he often didn't even draw iron.  After that he completely quit shooting anything that wasn't a dunk or put back and teams knew they could loosely cover him with their worst defender.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hunter has to go but I’m afraid we will have him back another season.  

Am I the only one who thinks Hunter looks like he'd be better at football than basketball?

Edited by Beau Vine

Quick thought on Zakai Ziegler:

We Texas fans are always wishing for taller guards, but Ziegler showed that a sub-6-foot guard can be hugely impactful even when he's having a poor shooting night. He dropped some beautiful dimes and his perimeter defense was on par with Dogus Balbay and Fredie Williams. Dude had some lightning quick hands.

• Hook 'Em 5

Team hit their ceiling. We were an average team who beat a play in team in the tourney. This should be the floor (making the tournament) and at least a 50/50 shot (7-10 seed) at winning a game. These seeds don’t normally make the third round 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Hunter has to go but I’m afraid we will have him back another season. It will be interesting to see who RT goes after in the portal but we need some size on the front line and a true PG if we want to make any noise next season.

So basically keep Weaver and get a whole new team to play with him.   

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

Unpopular opinion, but I think RT did a great job of coaching up our mediocre squad for the tourney.

everyone seems to forget how many years we went without a single tournament win…

Remind me again what the team was ranked based on talent coming into the season and where they ended up?   I don’t think that’s coaching up….  Luckily we only have one more season of it most likely with a less talented team next year.  

5 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Remind me again what the team was ranked based on talent coming into the season and where they ended up?   I don’t think that’s coaching up….  Luckily we only have one more season of it most likely with a less talented team next year.  

One more?

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Quick thought on Zakai Ziegler:

We Texas fans are always wishing for taller guards, but Ziegler showed that a sub-6-foot guard can be hugely impactful even when he's having a poor shooting night. He dropped some beautiful dimes and his perimeter defense was on par with Dogus Balbay and Fredie Williams. Dude had some lightning quick hands.

yea the guy played good defense but for suck's sake I could have forced 3 turnovers vs those lazy ass passes and I'm 60 fucking years old.

• Hook 'Em 1

Preseason estimates were wrong. Hunter and Mitchell’s lack of development is the biggest disappointment. They are talented but were inconsistent.

Hunter had a horrible game outside of a few bursts. One of the worst games I’ve ever seen a starter have. At times Dwayne Wade, then Ollie from Hoosiers.
  • Like 1

More than any other sport, a true home court advantage can add multiple games to the win column.  Beard understood this and worked harder than any other Longhorn coach in my collective fandom to develop and facilitate it. Too bad he went dumb that one night. Barnes probably adds 3 or 4 more top 4 seeds to his Texas tenure with a true and consistently intimidating home court advantage.