Texas Basketball 2024-25

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Show me where we were trying to be the highest bidder for every recruit out there? It’s not even clear why you’re making this assumption. 

i neither said nor assumed that. i’m simply saying that if you set your price for Player A and Player A and his representatives start a bidding war that exceeds your ceiling then you move on. i agree that we should have no problems affording the guys we want, but that’s not the info coming from Gerry and those guys. so if we do have a cap on what we’re willing to spend on a player and we stick to our guns then i can’t argue with that philosophy. i personally am disappointed in hearing that we’ve been priced out of the guy we wanted, but i understand the logic behind it.

We are going to regret not paying Toppin. He very well might be the best player on our team if we signed him, and he would make us so much more dangerous.  If we had him we could go big with him and Shedrick. Or we could go small and he could play center.  He is a great rebounder, leading the MWC in both offensive and total rebounds.  He also led the MWC in blocks.  

He actually had better stats IMO than his brother as a freshman. Obi then went on to win the Wooden and Naismith awards as a sophomore.  Even if JT doesn't improve at all, he would be a crucial piece.  If he makes a similar jump to his brother, we could be looking at a Final Four caliber team.

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

We are going to regret not paying Toppin. He very well might be the best player on our team if we signed him, and he would make us so much more dangerous.  If we had him we could go big with him and Shedrick. Or we could go small and he could play center.  He is a great rebounder, leading the MWC in both offensive and total rebounds.  He also led the MWC in blocks.  

He actually had better stats IMO than his brother as a freshman. Obi then went on to win the Wooden and Naismith awards as a sophomore.  Even if JT doesn't improve at all, he would be a crucial piece.  If he makes a similar jump to his brother, we could be looking at a Final Four caliber team.

Thats a neat story but I don't think they are related. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They are not. 

Hahaha WTF. I have been thinking they were brothers all along. Well never mind then. I guess I got confused because Obi has a younger brother Jacob and I must have assumed that is JT.

• Haha 1

Just now, HookEm said:

Hahaha WTF. I have been thinking they were brothers all along. Well never mind then. I guess I got confused because Obi has a younger brother Jacob and I must have assumed that is JT.

He looks and plays like Obi. I figured they were related, too, but I looked it up in March.

43 minutes ago, HookEm said:

image.png.e3da5c0151af07d17d2609ccbf8dc53f.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean is RT even trying this hard to get another big? I don’t wanna keep assuming he’s swinging and missing on guys. Maybe he just wants to prioritize guards and forwards. 

Yeah, it's one thing that our two bigs are talent challenged, it's another that they are our only two bigs.

• Hook 'Em 3

You win with guards and fowards in the tournament. That much is clear. Purdue had the best big in college basketball for 3 seasons, and made it past the opening weekend once. He did light up Connecticut's big in the final, but their guard was awful and the Connecticut guards just snuffed them out. Our most talented team in the last 10 years, had Disu and Bishop in the post. Neither were taller than 6'10". You guys are shitting your pants over guys that don't make a big difference in the tournament. Depsite our lack of "size" we will have our tallest team in years because we finally have size on the wings with 

6'6" Mark

6'6" Presley

6'6" Johnson

6'7" Pryor

6'8" Kent

Even our guards are bigger than last year with

6'3" Weaver

6'4" Larry

6"2" Pope

Then you add our bigs

6'8" Oneyma

6'9" Codie

6'11" Shedrick

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

You win with guards and fowards in the tournament. That much is clear. Purdue had the best big in college basketball for 3 seasons, and made it past the opening weekend once. He did light up Connecticut's big in the final, but their guard was awful and the Connecticut guards just snuffed them out. Our most talented team in the last 10 years, had Disu and Bishop in the post. Neither were taller than 6'10". You guys are shitting your pants over guys that don't make a big difference in the tournament. Depsite our lack of "size" we will have our tallest team in years because we finally have size on the wings with 

6'6" Mark

6'6" Presley

6'6" Johnson

6'7" Pryor

6'8" Kent

6'3" Weaver

6'4" Larry

6"2" Pope

Then you add our bigs

6'8" Oneyma

6'9" Codie

6'11" Shedrick

Toppin would have made our starting 5 better. No reason to lose an NIL battle to Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

You guys are shitting your pants over guys that don't make a big difference in the tournament.

Yes, we have enough size if you just look at our team's measurables. But you need to look more critically at our big man situation:

• Onyema was terrible last year. Out of place on defense, not a great rebounder, worthless on offense. He can't get more than 5 min a game without massive improvement
  • Codie is a freshman. Dude is 6'9, 200.  He is not ready to bang in the SEC. Unless he surprises everyone, he also shouldn't get more than 5-10 min a game. Max.
  • Shedrick only played 17 min last year and seems to always be hurt.  He has height, but he isn't physical - and we don't have a physical power forward to cover his deficiencies.  Regardless, we can't play him more than ~22 min a game.  And if Shedrick goes down? Holy hell we are screwed.

So unless you think we should be playing Jayson Kent at center, we HAVE to get another big. The quality of that big will determine how well we do next year.  We don't necessarily have to get a 7 footer. But we desperately need a physical big who can bang when needed.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

6'6" Mark

6'6" Presley

6'6" Johnson

6'7" Pryor

6'8" Kent

6'3" Weaver

6'4" Larry

6"2" Pope

Then you add our bigs

6'8" Oneyma

6'9" Codie

6'11" Shedrick

As if we needed any more confirmation that Terry fucked this up royally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Do details not ever come out on what we’re spending in NIL? Are we going after these guys or just guy tweeting and don’t know shit. I like our length on the wings but we’re gonna get murdered on the inside in the sec. I’d love to light it up on the outside but our offensive flow is terrible and new guys aren’t gonna fix that. Hope they have a better offensive package for next year planned out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been saying over and over that it is going to hurt to lose Dillon Mitchell... and that was when I thought we might get a solid big like Toppin to replace him. Now we lost the 2nd leading rebounder in the Big 12 for nothing.  I guarantee the guy we get now isn't going to be as good as him. Mainly because there isn't a big that is as good as him left in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

I have been saying over and over that it is going to hurt to lose Dillon Mitchell... and that was when I thought we might get a solid big like Toppin to replace him. Now we lost the 2nd leading rebounder in the Big 12 for nothing.  I guarantee the guy we get now isn't going to be as good as him. Mainly because there isn't a big that is as good as him left in the portal.

Outside of rebounding he's ass.

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

You don’t think he’s involved in NIL fund distribution and roster construction? What the fuck does he do here?

I think he can tell the NIL guys who he wants, but if that player's price is way higher than they want to pay (as is allegedly the case with Toppin) he can't force them to pay it

Posted (edited)

we’ve got a football team mr.hawkins. and we could use a 6’10”, 23 year old big man who went for 12 points, 6 boards, and 3 assists per game in the big 10 last year, not to mention his 1.5 steals and 1.1 blocks while shooting 37% from three and 79% from the line. come on down! 

Edited by definitely not derka
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yea.  I hope Rodney thinks he’s got infinite job security.  CDC will pull the trigger

You hope RT thinks he has infinite job security? I’m confused about that statement. Please clarify if you would.

With respect to CDC pulling the trigger, wouldn’t RT not having pieces in place for success (such as big bodies) in part due to NIL factors out of his control potentially result in RT having more time at the helm?

Hawkins would be a great addition. I haven't allowed myself to hope we get anybody that good after losing Toppin. 

Start big with:  6'3 Jordan Pope + 6'5 Tremon Mark + 6'6 Tre Johnson + 6'10 Coleman Hawkins + 6'11 Kaden Shedrick

Bench: 6'3 Julian Larry + 6'3 Chendall Weaver + 6'7 Jayson Kent

That would be our 8 man rotation with everybody else getting scrap minutes.  A big power forward like Hawkins would give us a lot of options. I assume he would get a ton of minutes at center as well in a smaller lineup with Kent at PF.

29 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

With respect to CDC pulling the trigger, wouldn’t RT not having pieces in place for success (such as big bodies) in part due to NIL factors out of his control potentially result in RT having more time at the helm?

I mean couldn’t this be the excuse of pretty much every coach in the country who doesn’t do well? (Just thinking out loud…)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I think he can tell the NIL guys who he wants, but if that player's price is way higher than they want to pay (as is allegedly the case with Toppin) he can't force them to pay it

So he can’t recruit the player or the big cigars to his vision?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

You hope RT thinks he has infinite job security? I’m confused about that statement. Please clarify if you would.

Who knows. But, the end result will probably be RT not getting last year 3. 

RT would have to completely and totally shit the bed to get fired after this year. If he wins at least say 12 games, I think he is coming back. 

If he gets to the 2nd weekend this year or next year, I assume he will get an extension.  If not, he should be gone.