Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

From Abreu whiffing on a foul pop up costing a run, to Yainer going full retard with the catchers interference, to Pressly pulling down his pants and diarrheaing on the pitching mound, I do respect that we do it as a team.

And Altuve trying to score from third on a ball hit just beyond first base.

I think it was Will Carroll who used to write about injuries for Baseball Prospectus and described “staying healthy” as the sixth tool for ballplayers.  

His position was that it was the next frontier in analytics-a lot of the low hanging fruit in terms of tactics and strategy has been discovered and disseminated.  Minimizing injury (and selecting players who avoid) still has lots of proprietary benefit.  

• Drool 1

I wanted to see what this team looks like when healthy when someone upstream had posted that we were like 3rd from last in runs allowed.  I've put together a composite line just using guys we would expect to see pitch for us- JV, Framber, Javier, Brown, France, Blanco, Hader, Montero, Abreu, Pressly, Martinez and Bielak.  That's it- that's not counting guys like LMJ and Garcia or Urquidy who you knew were gone for long periods of time before the season started.  So- it's not like this is a healthy staff or anything, but it's what you thought you were getting- I guess I will throw Taylor Scott in there as well since he'd have broken camp with the main guys.

173 IP, 166 H's 79BB, 152K's, 88 Runs, 82 ER's

ERA- 4.265, Whip- 1.41, 1.92 K/BB

Hader, Pressly and Abreu are a combined 1-4 with a -1.1 WAR and directly responsible for 2 or 3 more losses that don't show up in that 1-4.

This team is a little bit of health- guys with real good track records in the bullpen getting better and the will to solve the Jose Abreu situation away from being just fine.  All that seems pretty fixable but maybe it won't be.   

Just now, Snake Diggity said:

Put a nail in it.  Starting to think the real missing link might be Strom.  Our pitchers fucking suck all of a sudden.

Yeah I've wondered that myself but Az pitching isnt really tearing it up and doesn't explain the lack of hitting

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

ideal everyday lineup:

Alvarez, Chas, Tuck

Bregs, Pena, Altuve, Dubon (1B)

Diaz DH, Carot C

the 9 best hitters, no reason to sit any of them.  

I can think of 19.5 million reasons.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

omg.

Brown just said “back of the baseball card” again…in regards to not being worried about Pressly/Hader struggles

How many times did he say “at the end of the day?”

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Man, they didn't even want to be there today.

I didn’t watch, had a bad feeling after Javi was scratched.  

On to Chicago, likely to lose all 3 with starters tbd.