2024 Final Four and National Championship

Pancho

22 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

If you don't do this as a coach you're a shit coach

I guess that Iowa State guy is shit.  As is Self.  As are a bunch of guys who don't act like every call against them is some shocking travesty.

• Like 1

UConn was just clearly better than everyone all season and all tourney. There weren't any great teams this year other than them.

Agreed although a healthy Houston could have given them a better challenge than Purdue. Would have should have , blah blah.

5 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Agreed although a healthy Houston could have given them a better challenge than Purdue. Would have should have , blah blah.

100% agree that a healthy Houston would’ve been the next best team.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pops said:

Hurley can coach his dick off. But God he's a pretentious cunt. Now I'm sure if it...I hate him

This.  Hate is a strong word.  And it applies to anyone named Hurley in the coaching ranks,

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

UConn is the better team.
Uconn is better coached.  (even if Hurley is an eternal douche)

The difference in this game was the backcourt.  U'Con's Newton was great and was able to overcome an inexperienced if not fairly effective (except in some key situations) Purdue backcourt.  Dany boy was better at working the refs. :)

Boilers had to many late TOs.  Sigh...

Hurley is fantastic.

Offensively, he runs teams ragged, over and over, into screens and sets with players who finish at the rim and kill you at the outer line. Defensively, he knows that the perimeter game rules CBB and he gets athletes that run, chase and relentlessly beat players off the 3-point line. Ask Purdue. He'll sacrifice some interior scoring knowing that, ultimately, like tonight it doesn't matter. 

Be a beating and bark about Hurley being a cunt or whatever. He's the best in the game, and it's not close. And we'd all kill to have him as our cunt. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, pops said:

Hurley can coach his dick off. But God he's a pretentious cunt. Now I'm sure if it...I hate him

He knows his teams are talented and tells everyone. What's not to love? This fake humble act coaches and players take is lame.  Wish more were like him. He also jawed at Edey this game for being the dirty fuck he is. Awesome. 

What's not to love?  Hurley,  

He has a good team and is a good coach.  humility is not a Hurley-ism.  So, he and Hurleys can...  <<<<fill in the blank>>>>

Even Laettner is more likeable - and that's a stretch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh, we won a national championship in '05 with a coach who was a whiny, thin skinned vindictive beating .  A different kind of cunt I guess vs. whatever Hurley is. But whatever. 

At the end of the day we have a banner and a trophy and no one gives two shits about whether they liked the coach or not. 

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Meh, we won a national championship in '05 with a coach who was a whiny, thin skinned vindictive beating .  A different kind of cunt I guess vs. whatever Hurley is. But whatever. 

At the end of the day we have a banner and a trophy and no one gives two shits about whether they liked the coach or not. 

Brown's infinitely more accessible and likable than Hurley.  20 years from the championship, Brown would remain accessible and likable.  Hurley?  Nope,but I am projecting.

Regardless: Congrats DanH  and Mack Brown and Vince Young. 

33 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

What's not to love?  Hurley,  

He has a good team and is a good coach.  humility is not a Hurley-ism.  So, he and Hurleys can...  <<<<fill in the blank>>>>

Even Laettner is more likeable - and that's a stretch. 

You just gave Hurley a new career goal, become more universally hateful than K, Calipari, or Self.  Tall order, but I have faith in him.

• Pancho unpinned this topic
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Underdog said:

6-0 in title games is crazy in this modern era of CBK.  They’re the top dog now. 

UConn men and women have 17 titles since 95.  for the men, 11 for the women. Combined 17-1 in title games 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

UConn won every tournament game the last two years by double digits. Has that ever been done by a back to back champion? I can’t think of it ever happening. And all this dan Hurley shit about how he is. Who fucking cares. That’s what losers whine about because I would take Dan Hurley and his attitude at Texas all fucking day and wouldn’t think twice about it. That dude knows how to recruit to his system with guys that will buy in and play hard all game and he actually has an offensive and defensive philosophy.

How many guys does UConn lose this year? They won’t win it every year and will probably lose a time or two in the early rounds but as long as Hurley is there I bet they win it all a few more times before he retires.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't find Hurley arrogant at all. If anything he understates things and gives an honest assessment.

Much of his team's success is due to his coaching v. Some guys that just role out waves of talent like the Fab 5 etc.

His sideline demeanor is a beating but some of that is due to his punch able Hurley family face and Jersey vibe.

Time will tell, but he has a long way to go to be in Bobby Knight, Coach K., Calliperi, Self, Rupp, Richardson etc. asshole territory.

The more he wins the more of a dick people will think he is.

• Hook 'Em 2

I love that offense so much.  It's just a mosh pit of screens and dives and cuts on the weak side.  It would give Bobby Knight's corpse a boner.  

Such an awesome contrast to the Calipari iso dribble drive dreck that took over CBB like a herd of zebra mussels.

And I think Hurley's hysterical.

I over-posted during the game last night and made several very derogatory statements about him - letting a combination of my Purdue fandom and a couple of drinks get in the way :/

That said, he's a very good coach and his teams are impressive.  The only way Purdue was going to win yesterday is if their guards were productive.  They were not.

Hurley's sideline histrionics, mouthiness to opposing players, and constantly standing on the court are fairly annoying.  Pushing his own player was kinda wild.  How that was not a technical foul is amazing.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Whoopsie. Reading is hard. 

I think based on the opponent and round, that you just defaulted to an early first score type of trailing. Because who would believe that only Iona and st Mary’s would be able to have 2nd half leads. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

I feel pretty okay with my previous assessments of Edey as just big and not skilled.

Thinking back on this and the tourney games I watched from Purdue this year, I have to say I think I'm being a little harsh on Edey here. He's not just big, he's very athletic and well coordinated, especially for a dude the size of a car. He's also an above average passer for a big man. Not great, but good enough to get his guards good looks at times. My main gripes with him are that:

1. He doesn't have a very diverse post position moveset in his repertoire, Clingan and UConn were well aware of this and used it to their advantage several times. I will say, the moves he does have he uses effectively and he's very fundamentally sound when he's executing them.
  2. He can't score outside like 6 feet from the basket. That is just not good enough for basketball in 2024. Clingan is about the same size (maybe an inch or two shorter and a few pounds lighter, but that's it) but is capable of scoring from outside the post. Not in a prolific way by any means, but the threat is there and has to be respected.
  3. He is a below average FT shooter, especially for someone that lives at the line as much as he does.
  4. He is a bad defender. Might sound crazy to say for someone who is a very good shot blocker, but that's pretty much all he's good at besides getting his big body in front of the basket. He takes a lot of defensive possessions off and did so several times in the natty game last night. That's a big reason he's able to play as many minutes as he does besides having above average conditioning for a big. He's lucky to be as large as he is because that's good enough on many possessions.

I'm still sticking to:

Lol he is not anywhere near skilled enough to play in the NBA, I'm sure the scouts aren't fooled.

Imagining him trying to guard or score on Wemby makes me break down giggling

He put up a big fat number last night, but that was obviously part of UConn's strategy. Purdue's guards are below average. They're probably barely a tournament team if even that without Edey. UConn clearly was willing to just defend Edey as well as they could without risking fouling too much, and let him get his because if they shut down Purdue's guards then Purdue didn't have a prayer to win. They did that brilliantly.

This is a big flaw in Painter's overall strategy, he's likely never going to win a title unless he addresses it. Edey played so many minutes this season because Purdue would struggle to win enough games to make the tourney if he didn't. His guards are incapable of creating their own shot, and the majority of ones they hit are off good looks generated by his post presence.

Lol he is not anywhere near skilled enough to play in the NBA, I'm sure the scouts aren't fooled.

I thought that was well known.  It's not that he's not skilled, it's that he doesn't have the right skills for 2024 NBA. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I thought that was well known.  It's not that he's not skilled, it's that he doesn't have the right skills for 2024 NBA. 

Yeah he'll go 2nd round probably but I doubt he ever plays significant minutes unless he learns how to score from beyond 6 feet.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Correct. It wasn't that long ago Greg Oden was a #1 pick. 

It was 17 years ago and the game was very different. Oden very well could have been a very good NBA player had he been healthy.

Edited by Brian Fantana
  • Hook 'Em 1

That is awesome.  Not just that:

But it's not the only sports glass ceiling that was crushed; Sunday's game was also the most-watched basketball game, either men's or women's and college or professional, since 2019.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

The problem is there are few if any personalities in the men’s game anymore for people to get to know and take an interest in.

Yep. I know a lot of people Who don’t give a shit about WCBB tune in for Clark draining logo 3s and dishing dimes or because they’re big Dawn Staley fans 

51 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Old man yelling at clouds take: makes me wonder if the men’s numbers would be better with an earlier tip-off time?  I was a Women’s Finals viewer hear me ROAR! 

This and don't pit it on TBS. CBS prime time for the win.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This and don't pit it on TBS. CBS prime time for the win.

Championships need to be on OTA networks. ABC, FOX, CBS. There’s a reason the women’s championships that have been on ABC have had record viewership - volleyball, WBB, softball 

• Hook 'Em 1

The men's game is incredibly boring now. Why would a top tier basketball recruit go to a school, where they have classes and other things distracting them from what they're actually interested in? They can just go overseas or go to the G league and get paid and not have to worry about school. And the NBA teams are happy to get their hooks in guys as early as possible. I just don't see the college game ever being super interesting again.