If Dazed and Confused

lateshow

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Jesus, I have socks older than you.  

Why did I think you were old?

It's in the opening line from the show, not my personal experience 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

What’s that different from 2007 to today? Smartphones? 2% of cars being fully electric? Gender pronouns?

The existence of smart phones would gut quite a few movie and tv show plots that were written before they existed.

Dude, Where's my Car is a 10-minute movie if set in a contemporary time period.

Harold and Kumar Uber to White Castle, anyone?

Edited by dcbc

the movie was set in 76 you human paraquat. 
I don’t give a shit if they would graduate in 77.  the movie was 76. 

Of course it was the summer of 76. dickslime. Linklater would have been 15 on that last day of school in 76 so that wasnt his class and he wasn’t a rising senior.

The big concert that summer was ZZ Top’s World Wide Texas Tour. We went on the 4th of July in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Outlaws, Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd. ZZ Top.

1 minute ago, Texzilla588 said:

The big concert that summer was ZZ Top’s World Wide Texas Tour. We went on the 4th of July in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis. Outlaws, Blue Oyster Cult, Lynyrd Skynyrd. ZZ Top.

Was it the top priority of the summer?  You need to get your priorities straight.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, YGIFS said:

"Check out what Melba Toast is packing here, man."

-Uh, this looks like a 2007 Toyota Supra with a ground effects kit.  

"Yeah man, we're talking serious muscle.  Let's cruise it through curbside service at Top Notch."

-What the fuck is a Top Notch?  

As long as we're all being both obtuse and pedantic, I'll add that there's no such thing as a 2007 Supra.

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Of course it was the summer of 76. dickslime. Linklater would have been 15 on that last day of school in 76 so that wasnt his class and he wasn’t a rising senior.

no one gives a shit, old man.  quit posting on surly and go call your grandkids. 

Was it the top priority of the summer?  You need to get your priorities straight.  

No. Getting laid was the top priority of the summer. Rising senior, worked in radio, had a 70 442. That’s the good. The bad was I was living the dead love life of Brad Hamilton.

The ZZTop show was the top priority event of the summer. One of the best shows I ever saw.

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

"Check out what Melba Toast is packing here, man."

-Uh, this looks like a 2007 Toyota Supra with a ground effects kit.  

"Yeah man, we're talking serious muscle.  Let's cruise it through curbside service at Top Notch."

-What the fuck is a Top Notch?  

Top Notch is still there.  Had a burger there just a couple of weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, I know.  I ate there a few months ago.  Like the 2007 Supra, it was meant for comedic effect...not another breakdown of Austin establishments.  

Anyway, autopsy said he had one Molly.  How many you had, 2007 kid?  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

As long as we're all being both obtuse and pedantic, I'll add that there's no such thing as a 2007 Supra.

Wrong.  I have one in my garage, right next to my 83 Corvette.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 4/17/2024 at 9:50 AM, South Austin said:

Why wouldn't Linklater still have it set in 1976?

in my drunken state, this story is somehow appropriate….

Ted Williams was interviewed one time by a sportswriter who served him up what he thought was an easy question - “Ted, if you played against these pansy pitchers of today, how high would your average have been?”

”Oh, probably about .270 or so”

”Wow, that’s all? Figured you’d think it would be way higher!”

”Well shit, I’m fucking 82 years old!”

Social Media existed in 2007, but taking it mobile is what made it a globe-defining thing.  I remember the first time I saw a discussion board (Tigerdroppings) post done mobile.  Likely early 2008.

And for a few years, we could trust Social Media.  I remember when I set up my Twitter I let them scan my Google contacts and auto follow everyone they scrubbed out of it.  Good God can you imagine doing that today?

Is the Centennial shoot location the original on Guadalupe? 

Those bastards took my fake ID as a sophomore. I was trying to buy schnapps for an OU Weekend date that really didn’t drink. Massive fail.

I was forced to shop there after turning 21 because they were the closest liquor store to West Campus with something resembling MSRP prices. Also my fraternity bought Keystone from them. 

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is the Centennial shoot location the original on Guadalupe? 

Those bastards took my fake ID as a sophomore. I was trying to buy schnapps for an OU Weekend date that really didn’t drink. Massive fail.

I was forced to shop there after turning 21 because they were the closest liquor store to West Campus with something resembling MSRP prices. Also my fraternity bought Keystone from them. 

I think so.  It's shot so that it looks like Mitch just walks across the big intersection and thru the parking lot.  But in reality, that's a fairly long trek on foot.  Every now and again, when a friend is visiting from outta town, I'll drive 'em by the Emporium "spot", the liquor store, and Top Notch.  The rest of the locations are too far apart but people get a kick out of it.  

I ask this every few years but where is/was that gas station they do the fake beer heist/shootout?  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think so.  It's shot so that it looks like Mitch just walks across the big intersection and thru the parking lot.  But in reality, that's a fairly long trek on foot.  Every now and again, when a friend is visiting from outta town, I'll drive 'em by the Emporium "spot", the liquor store, and Top Notch.  The rest of the locations are too far apart but people get a kick out of it.  

I ask this every few years but where is/was that gas station they do the fake beer heist/shootout?  

Here.

• Like 1

That was the Ballard's on Medical Parkway where they pretented to wahoo the beer. The Centennial was on North Lamar, on the corner outside The Yellow Rose across from the strip center where the Emporium was.

I think he's implying we're making acceptable genocide again.  

csb/ I was thinking about this thread and driving from lunch with a friend on campus to my daughter's skate birthday party.  I'd never been to that skateland park up off 183.  So I'm cruising up Burnet and pass the Top Notch and thought of the 70's nostalgia of the film.  And I walk into that skate place and it was like walking into 'Dazed & Confused.'  but for the modern vending machines, the lights, the music, and even the attire of a lot of the skaters...it was like Top Notch, me, and roller skating met at the nexus of the universe.  I hadn't been into one of those in 25 years.  Kinda cool.  I kinda wanted to roll a pack of smokes in my shirt sleeve while bursting in, but now you got your damn peanut and tobacco allergies.  Thanks a lot, Bin Laden.  

But just for a minute there, it was a perfect slice of Old Austin.  

I still think about how many prolific acting careers that movie spawned.  And that the one they thought would make it the biggest, was Pickford.  Because of his looks and charm.  But turns out he was egotistical asshole off-camera and never really got any decent work because of it after the film.  Meanwhile, a dozen other actors went on to make it big.  Life's funny that way, Prick

24 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah but that’s ridiculous.  I guess the joke missed me. 

First they came for the Jew, Hirschfelder.  And Mitch just touched his nose and said nothing.  And then Mitch kept touching his nose.  And I dunno what happened to Hirschfelder, but a buncha Jews died.