Jay Hartzell is not out standard

Dahobbs

Posted (edited)

About Hartzell, MAGA-GQP, and any fascists at the top of UT.  Take this as you like....

About 18 months ago, I had a phone conversation with a long-time friend from my UT days. Also a UT alum, my friend has a fairly prominent position on the 40. First time we had spoken in several years, as we were discussing the passing of aging family members.

My friend is 100% not MAGA, not Trumper. As our conversation evolved onto other topics, we briefly discussed the SEC move. I said I thought the move was an "Abbott-MAGA-BOR-BMD fascist move to align UT with the SEC confederacy conference" and I said that Hartzell and CDC were either on-board willingly or had no choice. My talkative friend got quiet and said something to the effect of "yeah, well, football."

I then asked my friend if there were any known MAGAs at the top of the university or among BOR-BMD. My friend replied, "Well, there are rumors." But would not speculate further. I specifically asked about Hartzell and my friend said "I do not know."

Seemed kinda uncomfortable with the discussion and was ready to drop the topic. I know my friend, the good-hearted optimist who focuses on positives. So we discussed new Mexican restaurants to visit next time i pass through Austin (once every 5-6 years) ....

---------------

In my view, what happened at our university Wednesday was a display of what was obviously signaled and symbolized the day UT joined the SEC. Abbott-led MAGA-fascists have infiltrated the top levels of UT-Austin, BOR, and BMD. 

Wednesday's display of naked fascism and skull-cracking on campus only further confirms this. It's a f*cking disgrace and must be vigorously denounced within UT by those with the power to do so. That means tenured faculty at least. The faculty council letter to Hartzell seemed like too much weak sauce, at least to me. 

Whether Hartzell is fully on-board ... or MAGA-GQP adjacent ... or just following orders remains to be uncovered ... if ever.

And other posters are correct: If Hartzell goes down, Abbott will make sure the next president is fully on-board. 

Edited by BevoAbyss

I can tell you from my job no official letter-especially one dealing with the college and the law in general—goes out to the public without vetting and approval from the university’s legal team. The chances Hartzell wrote this on his Mac by himself is 0.00001%.

Some of you law folk can do with that what you will. 

Ok, I can understand all of the emotional responses above. A blatant attack on free speech is an extremely serious issue. 

However, it is important to look at the situation from his perspective too. I’m not excusing his behavior because it seems at this point based upon the evidence that he screwed up. But, we’ve seen across the country protests that escalated and got out of control and included hate speech and other actions that violated university policies.  We’ve also seen university presidents get fired for not having the proper balance between protecting Jewish students and supporting free speech. 

Maybe, just maybe, he legitimately was concerned about student safety and his own job and simply made a poor decision. Or, maybe his actions did head off escalations that were planned but didn’t happen. None of us know the future. 

And the story above about Maga was lame; there was no point. I despise the maga crowd but unfortunately there is a significant number of them in positions of authority all over this country, especially in Texas. They make up a very significant minority of this country. We should all assume they are all over our university administrations.  

If you really want to make a difference, try to get as many younger people as possible to vote to get these maga people out of elected positions. Everyone avoids the discussion of politics with friends and family, but I don’t when it comes to the topic of maga. Everyone that knows me knows where I stand wrt maga. Sending Ted Cruz packing would be a nice start. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hartzell was in an impossible spot. Without Abbott a difficult spot.

The difficult spot - I think his letter was in hindsight hot garbage, but with large crowds, national frenzy, the hot button issue of Israel / Gaza, the current landscape of mass shootings and more the campus was not exactly safe even if the demonstrators were 100% within their rights which I believe they were until overwhelming evidence suggests they were not. 

The impossible spot -  I think Abbott is a piece of pig shit, I think he’s a thug and a duplicitous power addicted MAGA slurping cumstain. And Abbott was keenly interested in a political stunt. Assuming Hartzell is not an Abbott yes man by choice, I really don’t see how he could stand up to Abbott without risking a whole lot more.

Who is at fault - well besides the obvious blame on Abbott himself, we the people are to blame. We have what we elected, we deserve what we get. 

if everyone of those protestors voted in elections, donated time and money (even if very little) to elections, we would be well on our way to being a better Texas.  Basically, protesting is a distraction unless you donate, volunteer and vote. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Apologies for the large font on my post above. Not intentional. My bad.

I should not be posting before morning caffeine has kicked in! 

(And I am sure some wish I was not posting any time of the day.)

Edited by BevoAbyss

I'm not sure where Hartzell stands politically, but I worry about it a bit.  As pointed out above, wherever he stands, he's in a fairly impossible position given that the BOR is mostly MAGA as is the governor who appointed them and wields some authority here.

I do imagine that he was trying to avoid the fate of his ousted peers at various Ivies.  But I also wonder if that bespeaks cowardice.

That letter is  . . .  something.  But, I'm not sure it really reflects Hartzell's opinions/feelings on the matter, as Pancho notes.

What a clusterfuck.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Calling for help is part of the difficult position. Of course campus police can’t handle it. DPS is under Abbott’s control though, that’s the impossible position. 

Hartzell may be a POS fuck if I know, I’m not willing to go with a black and white / right and wrong / the buck stops with him / he’s a political hack position just yet.

am I worried about UT and current politics … fuck yeah I am. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 3

I know it hasn't gone fully Aggy maga stupidity yet but it's still the university of Texas. The flagship university in one of the most backwards ass maga states in the country. It's going to be influenced by those shitheads until and if maga can be run out of Texas politics. 

Are there numerous videos of the protests? Were the police the clear instigators attacking people who were not being violent or aggressive? This right now is the first I've read or heard about this so I don't know any of the details. 

14 minutes ago, troph said:

Calling for help is part of the difficult position. Of course campus police can’t handle it. DPS is under Abbott’s control though, that’s the impossible position. 

Hartzell may be a POS fuck if I know, I’m not willing to go with a black and white / right and wrong / the buck stops with him / he’s a political hack position just yet.

am I worried about UT and current politics … fuck yeah I am. 

He called in riot police that endangered students. It is bullshit. I'm not giving him a pass for this because it was a "difficult position". You don't get to claim to champion free speech and then stamp it down before anything is said or done. Fucking bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

I know it hasn't gone fully Aggy maga stupidity yet but it's still the university of Texas. The flagship university in one of the most backwards ass maga states in the country. It's going to be influenced by those shitheads until and if maga can be run out of Texas politics. 

Are there numerous videos of the protests? Were the police the clear instigators attacking people who were not being violent or aggressive? This right now is the first I've read or heard about this so I don't know any of the details. 

Ye, the police were the clear instigators. There is ample video available. A news cameraman just at the scene was arrested by the police for merely being there and charged with a crime. 

17 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

He called in riot police that endangered students. It is bullshit. I'm not giving him a pass for this because it was a "difficult position". You don't get to claim to champion free speech and then stamp it down before anything is said or done. Fucking bullshit. 

Anyone who navigates the extreme political nature of getting to president of a public university understands that they have to do things like provide cover for their “bosses” by “asking” for help rather than having it dictated to them. That definitely could be the case here too. These people at the top do this bs all the time. It’s not right but it’s reality. We have no idea whether it was really his idea or not. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

First couple pages of the DT thread before the fascist apologists show up have most of the contemporaneous video and journalism on what happened 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, troph said:

Hartzell was in an impossible spot. Without Abbott a difficult spot.

The difficult spot - I think his letter was in hindsight hot garbage, but with large crowds, national frenzy, the hot button issue of Israel / Gaza, the current landscape of mass shootings and more the campus was not exactly safe even if the demonstrators were 100% within their rights which I believe they were until overwhelming evidence suggests they were not. 

The impossible spot -  I think Abbott is a piece of pig shit, I think he’s a thug and a duplicitous power addicted MAGA slurping cumstain. And Abbott was keenly interested in a political stunt. Assuming Hartzell is not an Abbott yes man by choice, I really don’t see how he could stand up to Abbott without risking a whole lot more.

Who is at fault - well besides the obvious blame on Abbott himself, we the people are to blame. We have what we elected, we deserve what we get. 

if everyone of those protestors voted in elections, donated time and money (even if very little) to elections, we would be well on our way to being a better Texas.  Basically, protesting is a distraction unless you donate, volunteer and vote. 

The protesters are a bunch of 18-22 year olds and many of them were not even eligible to vote when Abbott was on the ballot for his third term in 2022. None of them wer eligible to vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020 or Abbott in 2014 or 2018. Putting this on their & their cohort's voting record is a very weak argument.

Edited by gmr548

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I hear you, I think you are reasonable, I think your position is reasonable. I just don't know enough. free speech (and more accurately the right to assemble) in and of itself is complex area of the law, so it's not ever really black or white. AND, fuck DPS and the goons that used bullshit tactics to get the assemblers in trouble.

Edited by troph

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The protesters are a bunch of 18-22 year olds and many of them were not even eligible to vote when Abbott was on the ballott for his third term in 2022. None of them wer eligible to vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020 or Abbott in 2014 or 2018. Putting this on their voting record is a very weak argument.

not commenting on their past (I was commenting on "our" past and "their" present). for 18-22 year olds assembling - if you are of voting age and assembling with respect to a political issue, it's a complete waste of your time if you don't donate, volunteer and vote.

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

I hear you, I think you are reasonable, I think your position is reasonable. I just don't know enough. free speech (and more accurately the right to assemble) in and of itself is complex area of the law, so it's not every really black or white. AND, fuck DPS and the goons that used bullshit tactics to get the assemblers in trouble.

How about: Abbott signed a law in 2019 to specifically make every public university a legal place for peaceful protest and demonstration. He violated that law yesterday because of fear of what happened in California and New York. 

Goons did not use bullshit tactics to get assemblers in trouble. The police showed up at 1130, before the protesters did, in full on riot gear. There's fucking video from Fox7 (before their cameraman was RKO'd and arrested by DPS) of students in yellow vests clearing a path through the protest for the police, who then turn around and teakettle and start arresting them. 

Please, go look for yourself what happened. Don't take abbott's word for it. 

He's counting on you to take his word and not be curious enough to look for yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

How about: Abbott signed a law in 2019 to specifically make every public university a legal place for peaceful protest and demonstration. He violated that law yesterday because of fear of what happened in California and New York. 

Goons did not use bullshit tactics to get assemblers in trouble. The police showed up at 1130, before the protesters did, in full on riot gear. There's fucking video from Fox7 (before their cameraman was RKO'd and arrested by DPS) of students in yellow vests clearing a path through the protest for the police, who then turn around and teakettle and start arresting them. 

Please, go look for yourself what happened. Don't take abbott's word for it. 

He's counting on you to take his word and not be curious enough to look for yourself. 

jesus christ on what planet do you think I'm defending abbott or DPS? get the fuck outta here with that shit. fuck them.

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, troph said:

jesus christ on what planet do you think I'm defending abbott or DPS? get the fuck outta here with that shit. fuck them.

I don't think you're defending them, but I do think you're giving them the benefit of the doubt because you won't look for yourself 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I know you do. And, yes, the law can be complex, but this instance is not. The student organization provided the University a heads up of the proposed protest (which strictly speaking isn't necessary under University rules for open areas). The plan was to "occupy" the South Lawn. They passed out fliers telling folks to bring sandwiches and snacks. After occupying the lawn for the day they were going to march to the capitol. The University, and particularly Hartzell, freaked out about what was happening elsewhere (and I point out that a lot of the problems at other campuses were also administration caused) and gave a blanket no. Technically, under Texas law and University regulations, it had no authority to do that. More importantly, a blanket no to speech isn't a "reasonable, place, and manner" restriction since it amounts to an outright prohibition of the freedom to assemble. Hartzell, apparently understanding the student organization was moving forward despite his blanket no, decided the only course was to call in riot police to bust heads before the event even started. There was no violence, except by DPS. There were no threats, except by DPS. There was no destruction, except by DPS. And of the 50+ people arrested that day, including a cameraman for the news exercising a core civic right and service, all were later released and charges dropped. This was a naked trampling of the First Amendment. This was a naked abuse of authority. And Hartzell wasn't a mere observer or participant, but was rather the architect, as confirmed by his own letter and his own texts. Fuck him. Ultimately, he was afraid of a picnic. Maybe he invited the wolves to dinner not appreciating what would happen. But if that is the case, he is too incompetent and stupid to run the University anyway.   

I don't agree with his decisions on the face of it. I'm simply saying it was a tough spot under current political dynamics not the least of which is the likely intense pressure from the office of the governor and as someone very interested in the truth, I don't know the whole story regarding how the shitty decision was made.  that's all.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I don't think you're defending them, but I do think you're giving them the benefit of the doubt because you won't look for yourself 

you should ask more questions and assume less. I spent more than an hour counseling my best friend's daughter on how to show up on campus and protest yesterday (she's a student at UT). I talked about what happen the day before with her too.

you jump to conclusions too much and it prevents you from seeing the nuance. I do not support Hartzell's decision, I do support the right to assemble, I think Abbott is a power thirsty thug and I think the DPS is mostly full of goons. I also don't know have the full story on what really happened that led to Hartzell's decision and neither do you.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, troph said:

I don't agree with his decisions on the face of it. I'm simply saying it was a tough spot under current political dynamics not the least of which is the likely intense pressure from the office of the governor and as someone very interested in the truth, I don't know the whole story regarding how the shitty decision was made.  that's all.

We'll find out if they release the information I requested. I intend on finding out. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, troph said:

No doubt it was a tough spot to be in. He failed miserably in his handling of it. He should resign

• Hook 'Em 4

Jay Hartzell being in a tough spot is his job. He failed miserably to do a key part of his job. He has failed the students and he has failed the faculty. Anyone defending this is the same as defending reality detached CEOs and their exorbitant pay and destruction of product and innovation for the sake of shareholder value. UT is not a business it's a public institution focused on research and education. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Can state legislators investigate this? I can’t imagine troopers in riot gear and on horseback are just hanging around downtown waiting to head over to the 40 Acres at the drop of a hat

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We'll find out if they release the information I requested. I intend on finding out. 

fuck yeah, I applaud that.  I do think you will be unceremoniously blocked on the exception of attorney client privilege.

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Can state legislators investigate this? I can’t imagine troopers in riot gear and on horseback are just hanging around downtown waiting to head over to the 40 Acres at the drop of a hat

I don't think a legislative body largely made up of maga morons is going to prioritize this in any way. 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

investigate giving dps medals ?

or investigate dps not cracking enough heads ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, troph said:

fuck yeah, I applaud that.  I do think you will be unceremoniously blocked on the exception of attorney client privilege.

And I'll litigate the fuck out of that because I'm not asking for communications with attorneys regarding legal advice. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Jay Hartzell being in a tough spot is his job. He failed miserably to do a key part of his job. He has failed the students and he has failed the faculty. Anyone defending this is the same as defending reality detached CEOs and their exorbitant pay and destruction of product and innovation for the sake of shareholder value. UT is not a business it's a public institution focused on research and education. 

not really. that CEO isn't subject to being crushed by MAGA state leadership.  you can't say he's a public servant then use a private for profit example, they aren't even close to the same thing. 

I'm simply stating we do not know what happened that led to this with respect to this singular decision.

As for Hartzell as a president, his leadership is certainly suspect I agree and to that point, I have the same questions. To what extent is UT getting squeezed by state politics in ways that make his decision making authority futile?  To what extent is he being told on certain topics what he has to do or else?  I think UT has much bigger issues to be concerned about than simply a president that may suck. I think the problems are much more dire than that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

And I'll litigate the fuck out of that because I'm not asking for communications with attorneys regarding legal advice. 

if they didn't cover it all up under privilege they are morons.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't think a legislative body largely made up of maga morons is going to prioritize this in any way. 

That’s what I am getting at. Can only the majority party initiate an investigation 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, troph said:

not really. that CEO isn't subject to being crushed by MAGA state leadership.  you can't say he's a public servant then use a private for profit example, they aren't even close to the same thing. 

I'm simply stating we do not know what happened that led to this with respect to this singular decision.

As for Hartzell as a president, his leadership is certainly suspect I agree and to that point, I have the same questions. To what extent is UT getting squeezed by state politics in ways that make his decision making authority futile?  To what extent is he being told on certain topics what he has to do or else?  I think UT has much bigger issues to be concerned about than simply a president that may suck. I think the problems are much more dire than that.

I think students, faculty, alumni, donors, and prospective students have the right to know if hartzell is impotent and abbott is running the university. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think students, faculty, alumni, donors, and prospective students have the right to know if hartzell is impotent and abbott is running the university. 

100% and that's what I think is really going on.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

To what extent is UT getting squeezed by state politics in ways that make his decision making authority futile? 

If that is what happened he should have offered his resignation when given the order to call in troops, and if resignation was accepted he should have immediately released a statement announcing riot police have been ordered to campus by [insert whichever assholes gave the order], decrying that decision, and stating he was resigning effective immediately in protest

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, troph said:

You missed the point of the comparison. It's lack of accountability for the actual job instead of personal enrichment or benefit. He chose to personally benefit instead of doing his fucking job and will be rewarded for it by the board who are deranged Maga bootlicker fucks. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

The legislature is not gonna investigate this except to implement more restrictions on campus demonstrations.  Best you can hope for is some alums and police oversight groups to clamor for some transparency.  That’s all.

the timeline keeps getting conveniently readjusted.  You can call for DPS backup to supplement UTPD efforts and they can arrive within 15 mts.  But that amount of troopers, in that kinda gear, with horses.  On speedway where even with the pylons lowered, you can only get two vehicles in at the same time and it would take dozens of them over the course of an hour to move that much geared ouT personnel, never mind the horse trailers.  That’s a really shut off part of campus now in terms of vehicular access.  

DPS did not respond to inquiries about from which substations they were deployed.  And guess what?  The traffic and security cams from the Blanton to Gregory were all conveniently undergoing maintenance at the time.  You know that thing you do when you have tens of millions of dollars in art work that require redundant security cameras.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

They'll put their best lawdog on it. Truth cant hide from ol Briscoe

image.png.eaf4d0301a03085a1c1156e7807205c4.png

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, troph said:

you jump to conclusions too much and it prevents you from seeing the nuance. I do not support Hartzell's decision, I do support the right to assemble, I think Abbott is a power thirsty thug and I think the DPS is mostly full of goons. I also don't know have the full story on what really happened that led to Hartzell's decision and neither do you.

I hear you on jumping to conclusions, but this is not a time for nuance. The governor deployed shock troops onto campus to shut down speech he didn't like. Our university president consented to that abuse of our campus and student body. He put his political future and personal goals ahead of the good of The University of Texas. 

I just think that the fascists make the most progress in their goals when reasonable people treat fascists like they're also reasonable. Abbott and anyone who would answer to his orders to march into a peaceful protest and assault them to silence their speech are goddamn fucking fascists. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Hartzell isn’t the only one of them who’s impotent.

• Haha 1

I keep hearing about "anti-semitism" in these protests. I scoured the net looking for any sign of violence, destruction, or anti-semitism in that protest and found zero. I saw students who were watching the protest wearing Israeli flags and saw no evidence of any anti-semitism directed toward them. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. 

If the fucking proud boys can march with guns and torches and chant "The jews will not replace us," why is not ok for students to march in support of Palestine or Gaza or even Hamas? Or be against Israel? 

Again, show me the violence or destruction.  

Hartzell needs to do the right thing- tell DPS to GTFO campus, or resign. 

Abbott needs to DIAF. 

The presence of the jack booted thugs, oh sorry, I meant DPS troopers was an unnecessary provocation and escalation. 

tldr: Fuck abbott, fuck DPS, fuck Hartzell. 

Also: fuck Israel AND Hamas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

They'll put their best lawdog on it. Truth cant hide from ol Briscoe

image.png.eaf4d0301a03085a1c1156e7807205c4.png

Rep. Cain, "sorry i didn't respond earlier.  i was in the restroom stall and didn't have my phone with me."

-yeah i heard you in there, tapping your feet towards the stall next to yih like you were listening to music, but there's no sound system in the capital restrooms.

"yeah, i was listening to music on my iPhone."

-but you just said said you forgot your phone

"it was probably just a song I had stuck in my head."

-yeah, there was definitely some head involved

32 minutes ago, troph said:

It's not just state politics. It's internal politics as well.  He's getting heat for what happened but imagine the heat from those cutting the checks that actually matter if he would have let UT campus turn into Columbia.  Just like the Eyes of Texas nonsense that threatened millions in funding he had to navigate. Nobody on this board cares about or likes to consider that reality but it's a fact.  A lot easier to have hot takes and play Monday AM QB on a message board where all that is hanging in the balance is internet rep

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I keep hearing about "anti-semitism" in these protests. I scoured the net looking for any sign of violence, destruction, or anti-semitism in that protest and found zero. I saw students who were watching the protest wearing Israeli flags and saw no evidence of any anti-semitism directed toward them. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. 

If the fucking proud boys can march with guns and torches and chant "The jews will not replace us," why is not ok for students to march in support of Palestine or Gaza or even Hamas? Or be against Israel? 

Again, show me the violence or destruction.  

Hartzell needs to do the right thing- tell DPS to GTFO campus, or resign. 

Abbott needs to DIAF. 

The presence of the jack booted thugs, oh sorry, I meant DPS troopers was an unnecessary provocation and escalation. 

tldr: Fuck abbott, fuck DPS, fuck Hartzell. 

Also: fuck Israel AND Hamas. 

Again, Hartzell didn't just fail to tell them to leave. He fucking invited them. He admits it in his letter. And he admits in more informally in his texts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Again, Hartzell didn't just fail to tell them to leave. He fucking invited them. He admits it in his letter. And he admits in more informally in his texts. 

Oh I know. I'm saying he should reverse course, admit it was a mistake to ask for DPS help, and tell them to GTFO campus. 

• Hook 'Em 2