Favorite SNL Skits

Superhero

My friends and I would endlessly quote "Il Returno De Hercules" a badly dubbed foreign film with Bill Murray as an out-of-shape Hercules.

It was never put online, except more recently in a tiny TikTok version:

80's commercials were great also.

Colon Blow, Adobe Car, Yard-a-pult...

• Haha 1

Sucks that so many of these skits are hard to find online.  Hell, I have Peacock, and they've taken out some of the content.  I'd love to be able to find the following skits, which are some of my favs:

• Neil Diamond Storytellers (There's audio on YT, but not video)
  • "All Out of Love" Hilarious skit in which Farrell and (I think) Chris Kattan sing Air Supply songs
  • The Wayne's World where they mock Madonna's, "Justify My Love".  "You can see the unit on that guy!"
  • Haha 1

Based on the entries so far, most of you are old AF.

I watched SNL in my early to mid 20s with Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Rachel Dratch, Tim Meadows, etc. I got I Need More Cowbell, Colonel Angus, The Continental. Classics in their own right

But it seems like the I should have started earlier, except for the fact I wasn't living in the US at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Dana Carvey hosting the McGlaughlin Group still kills me to this day.  Those sketches literally turned me onto watching real political round tables as a teenager.  

WRONG!!!!

The correct answer is James Brown’s Celebrity Hot Tub Party.  

I would have also accepted “I’m gonna get me a shot gun and kill all the whitey I see,” but it’s hard to find the whole clip.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Sucks that so many of these skits are hard to find online.  Hell, I have Peacock, and they've taken out some of the content.  I'd love to be able to find the following skits, which are some of my favs:

• Neil Diamond Storytellers (There's audio on YT, but not video)
  • "All Out of Love" Hilarious skit in which Farrell and (I think) Chris Kattan sing Air Supply songs
  • The Wayne's World where they mock Madonna's, "Justify My Love".  "You can see the unit on that guy!"

Those "All out of Love" one-liners were damn funny.  That sketch was so close to being cut, and ended up being a long-running, multi-season 10:1 sketch.  

I think somebody posted the Neil Diamond by Will Ferrell bit on the old site.  It was also a 10:1 sketch IIRC and probably sounded insane at table read.  And I can't find it online either, but fuck it that didn't make me double over in laughter when he talks about killing a hitch-hiker just to feel human again.  I think it was Tim Meadows as the band leader and you cannot honestly tell if he's about to break/bust out laughing or is just ashamed of being in such a moronically-premised sketch.  But I fucking love that one.  

Speaking of breaking.  "Quien es Mas Macho" will always stick out to me because Ricky Nelson, who had no business being on the shoe.  He was a washed up singer at that point and had no comedic chops.  And the ending with ICE coming onto the set is lazy.  But there are a few minutes where Murray and Nelson don't even use the cue cards.  They nail the whole sketch, dry style.  And mind you, in Spanish.  And nobody breaks despite the absurdity and shitty accents.  It always stuck out to me as a demonstration of the absurd without being that absurd.  

• Hook 'Em 2

i feel like you could see Bill Murray's fledgling legitimately good acting chops way back on SNL. 

i love 'staaar waaars, nothing but STAAAAR waaars' lol

watching these vintage sketches, one thing that stands out is how good ALL of the cast was with not having to read cue cards. nowadays even the pros you can tell are pretty constantly looking offstage to read their lines. 

this one still cracks me up

• Haha 1

To this day, I still sing out loud around my house “These Star Wars”.  In Murray’s voice.  And my children just look at me; completely baffled.  He was so prolific on SNL and did most sketches without looking at the cards and broke character the least of any major player.  

when you watch him in movies like Rushmore or Broken Flowers or any number of other dark comedy/dramatic roles; you can trace it back to his SNL teeth cutting.  He was using and is still using comedy to put a bandage on a tortured soul.  That he took the rest of us on the ride to healing makes me feel lucky.  

and watching him and Gilda in skits together will be a treat we can enjoy with our grandkids.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Those "All out of Love" one-liners were damn funny.  That sketch was so close to being cut, and ended up being a long-running, multi-season 10:1 sketch.  

I think somebody posted the Neil Diamond by Will Ferrell bit on the old site.  It was also a 10:1 sketch IIRC and probably sounded insane at table read.  And I can't find it online either, but fuck it that didn't make me double over in laughter when he talks about killing a hitch-hiker just to feel human again.  I think it was Tim Meadows as the band leader and you cannot honestly tell if he's about to break/bust out laughing or is just ashamed of being in such a moronically-premised sketch.  But I fucking love that one.  

Speaking of breaking.  "Quien es Mas Macho" will always stick out to me because Ricky Nelson, who had no business being on the shoe.  He was a washed up singer at that point and had no comedic chops.  And the ending with ICE coming onto the set is lazy.  But there are a few minutes where Murray and Nelson don't even use the cue cards.  They nail the whole sketch, dry style.  And mind you, in Spanish.  And nobody breaks despite the absurdity and shitty accents.  It always stuck out to me as a demonstration of the absurd without being that absurd.  

Edited by 66BUFF
double

Schmitts Gay had Beautiful Girls by VH when originally aired. They replaced the song with a generic rock guitar track for subsequent airings and collections. Van Halen put the entire skit over the top IMO:

• Hook 'Em 2

The running gag that Lorne would uncharacteristically allow would be for Mulaney to switch up lines on the cards for Hader-centered sketches/WU segments like Stefan between dress and live show.  It was done to fuck with Bill and he would often break and crack up because it was all on the fly.  

hader could keep his shit together though as in an all-time favorite of mine when he makes his own puppet with Seth McFarlane and it takes a very dark turn.  Bill was actually the only one who didn’t crack up

ill find the clip

• Hook 'Em 1

^

That was one where I didn't mind Horatio and Fallon busting up because that had to be really fucking hard to not slip up once and say "cocksucker." and get fired.    Gotta give 'em credit on that one even if they broke a few times.  

We could do a whole other thread on just the best moments of Celebrity Jeopardy, best W/U segments, best pre-recorded sketches, best cold open, best monologue, etc.  

I have literally watched this 100 times because I just love Harry and Will Ferrell.  For some reason, it still gets me every single time 25 years later:

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/27/2024 at 7:54 AM, smuggs said:

Schmitts Gay had Beautiful Girls by VH when originally aired. They replaced the song with a generic rock guitar track for subsequent airings and collections. Van Halen put the entire skit over the top IMO:

Much better with VH. I knew it had changed over the years.