Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

markstanco

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

This timeline we are in is really screwed up. I honestly at times feel kind of sad for the Americans following Trump because some of them are in my family. 

Her staff is doing a great job and I do not use that praise lightly because I care very little for most politicians. I hope she keeps on fighting back against the lunacy she is up against. 

Loon vs loon wars settle nothing.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 11:10 PM, UpperWestside said:

This timeline we are in is really screwed up. I honestly at times feel kind of sad for the Americans following Trump because some of them are in my family. 

Her staff is doing a great job and I do not use that praise lightly because I care very little for most politicians. I hope she keeps on fighting back against the lunacy she is promoting

FIFY

7 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Hence why people call her the left's Trump. They're both stupid and dangerous. 

Yea the power of the president and the power of a first term congressman from New York are similar. 

Sharks and perch are both fish. 

• Like 3

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Yea the power of the president and the power of a first term congressman from New York are similar. 

Sharks and perch are both fish. 

Yea, people like Michael Moore aren't calling to do away with the age 35 thing so she can run for president in 2020 or anything. 

And it's congresswoman you damn dirty chauvinist pig. 

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

Yea, people like Michael Moore aren't calling to do away with the age 35 thing so she can run for president in 2020 or anything. 

LOL whut?  Assuming he's pushing for this, do you sense a groundswell on the left in support of this idiotic idea?  

12 hours ago, TexasMan said:

And it's congresswoman you damn dirty chauvinist pig. 

35 is fine. We need to amend it to cap the upper age limit at 60. 

And I think Congresscritter is the appropriate gender neutral term. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

35 is fine. We need to amend it to cap the upper age limit at 60. 

And I think Congresscritter is the appropriate gender neutral term. 

60 ? That's too young.  I'd tack on another 10 years. At 70 your general health, and memory are going to start down the back side of the hill.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has an asteroid named after her

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-asteroid-2018-6

observers have pointed out that she has an asteroid named after her, called 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.

The Democratic politician confirmed this fact in early June.

"It's true! Science was my first passion," she tweeted on June 12, adding that the asteroid was named in honor of longevity experiments she conducted out of Mt. Sinai Health System in New York.

"My research won 2nd place globally in Microbiology at @intel ISEF," she said in the tweet, referring to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. "At [Boston University] I started as science major, changed to Econ 🤓#nerdalert"

[snip]

When she submitted her high-school microbiology project in 2007 and won second place at Intel's science and engineering fair, she automatically won the naming rights to an asteroid found by LINEAR.

From there, Evans worked with the IAU to propose the name "23238 Ocasio-Cortez" and ask its 13-member judging panel to approve the title. The name passed in August 2007, affixing Ocasio-Cortez's name to a space rock.

About 15,000 asteroids have been named after people, and Ocasio-Cortez was far from the first student - the naming program has been going since 2001.

Today, about 4,000 middle- and high-school students have had asteroids named after them, which represents nearly a fifth of all named space rocks.

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has an asteroid named after her

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-asteroid-2018-6

observers have pointed out that she has an asteroid named after her, called 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.

The Democratic politician confirmed this fact in early June.

"It's true! Science was my first passion," she tweeted on June 12, adding that the asteroid was named in honor of longevity experiments she conducted out of Mt. Sinai Health System in New York.

"My research won 2nd place globally in Microbiology at @intel ISEF," she said in the tweet, referring to the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair. "At [Boston University] I started as science major, changed to Econ 🤓#nerdalert"

[snip]

When she submitted her high-school microbiology project in 2007 and won second place at Intel's science and engineering fair, she automatically won the naming rights to an asteroid found by LINEAR.

From there, Evans worked with the IAU to propose the name "23238 Ocasio-Cortez" and ask its 13-member judging panel to approve the title. The name passed in August 2007, affixing Ocasio-Cortez's name to a space rock.

About 15,000 asteroids have been named after people, and Ocasio-Cortez was far from the first student - the naming program has been going since 2001.

Today, about 4,000 middle- and high-school students have had asteroids named after them, which represents nearly a fifth of all named space rocks.

The LA Times covered her asteroid 

Radar Helps in Discovery of Dumbbell-Shaped Asteroid

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-11-21-mn-183-story.html

Edited by EuroHorn

On 3/24/2019 at 10:37 PM, UpperWestside said:

I fully support what she is doing. She will not get a lot of her proposals passed into law, but in die time her views will be more widely accepted. I respect her for wanting to so forcefully challenge economic inequality in our country. I mean this woman is 29 years old. There isn't a person on this board that knew their ass from a hole in the ground at that point, but here she is trying to fundamentally change how things work in America. It's a beautiful thing to see honestly. 

Part of that is that she is bright, articulate and passionate.  Another huge part is that she hasn't been co-opted by party politics (not partisan, but that too), and doesn't really have a sense of the (im)possible.  I assume she has her own constituency fairly locked down, but I wonder what happens when the DNC and related organizations start sucking her time for fundraising.

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

AOC tomorrow:  “Rich old white men continue to be out of touch with how real Americans live.  Like, do you even know how much foie gras costs?  When is the last time you ordered your own grocery delivery from Whole Foods?  Do you even have the Prime app?  You have no idea the  struggle we go through.  It doesn’t matter how often I say ‘FRESH ONLY!!!’ on the delivery instructions or ask to speak to a manager - the kiwis are ALWAYS mushy!”

The struggle..... it's fucking real.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Complaining about the price of croissants. Lulz. That should resonate with the poors.

Should have used Cinnebon instead of croissants. 

I bet AOC overprounounces "croissant".  My wife has been to France a few times, and will not add any flair to any french word.  But when she says "croissant" she sounds like a drunken depardiueu (sp?) in a period piece.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez