CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Having coached Mahomes is selling point to Offensive Recruits....

Heck, he also coached 2 Heisman Trophy winners. One he kind ran off from the team after they split up and the other has his own well documented drug/alcohol issues, but Mahomes and 2 Heisman Trophy winners.. yeah if I'm a recruit that's something I'd like.

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Wait... WVU's Holgo???  No way he was considering leaving WVU for Tech.  Not when he finally got them into top 10 territory.

Take a look at who is returning on offense next year for WVU. Now is precisely the time for him to leave. 

26 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Heck, he also coached 2 Heisman Trophy winners. One he kind ran off from the team after they split up and the other has his own well documented drug/alcohol issues, but Mahomes and 2 Heisman Trophy winners.. yeah if I'm a recruit that's something I'd like.

To be fair, he kind of ran Mayfield off because he had a better quarterback (Mahomes) and Mayfield is a douchebag. When he's your starter you can deal with it, when he's a malcontent backup you need that kind of guy to leave.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

To be fair, he kind of ran Mayfield off because he had a better quarterback (Mahomes) and Mayfield is a douchebag. When he's your starter you can deal with it, when he's a malcontent backup you need that kind of guy to leave.

Did Kliff know what Mahomes was when Baker left? I mean, Baker left before Mahomes ever set foot on campus as a student, so when Baker left, Mahomes was just an unsigned 3 star.  And I think Mahomes was the backup in 2014 for the first handful of games behind Webb who had bested Brewer by then and Baker had left.

Edited by relapse98

45 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

They usually pay him by the "line". Its normally like reading a fucking novel, so I like these "shorter" BF posts.

His job is "writing" those Zagat "review" digests. It can be "hard" to "make adjustments" when typing in his "free time".

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Did Kliff know what Mahomes was when Baker left? I mean, Baker left before Mahomes ever set foot on campus as a student, so when Baker left, Mahomes was just an unsigned 3 star.  And I think Mahomes was the backup in 2014 for the first handful of games behind Webb who had bested Brewer by then and Baker had left.

I doubt he knew Mahomes was going to be what he is, but he also didn't know Baker was going to be what he is either.  Baker wasn't lighting the world on fire that year at Tech either. 

Kingsbury was confident in Mahomes but thought Webb would be better than needing to deal with Mayfield's attitude (probably the wrong conclusion there).

But he was definitely high on Mahomes coming in. Sure I skipped a detailed discussion but Kingsbury came to the conclusion that he'd be fine at QB without Mayfield and his attitude around. He ended up being absolutely correct, even if it wasn't exactly how he envisioned it happening (Webb being a bridge to Mahomes).

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

WVU wants to win more than 8 games regularly and believes they can and should and they should have a coach with the same goals

Tech thinks 8 wins means you are an elite coach and should be paid in the top 15 of all coaches and worshipped

not sure which one is easier to win at, but it is clear which one is easier to coach at

WVU's self worth is inflated much like aggy's. WVU thinks they are better than what they are because they had some good years under Rich Rod in an 8 team conference that didn't have Virginia Tech or Miami in it any more. Oh an they had that one year in '88 when they almost won it all.

They are in the big leagues now, they don't have the luxury of beating up on a bunch of bad Temple, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, South Florida, UConn, Cincinatti and Boston College teams anymore. What happened to them this year in Stillwater is what happens when your program take a step up in competition. It is hard to get up week in and week out and if WVU is actually expecting to win more than 8 games on a regular basis (I assume that means every year) they are in for a rude awakening.

10 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I doubt he knew Mahomes was going to be what he is, but he also didn't know Baker was going to be what he is either.  Baker wasn't lighting the world on fire that year at Tech either. 

...other than winning Big 12  Freshman Offensive Player of the Year,  and throwing for more than 2000 yards in about half the games, he totally didn't light the world on fire.

• Like 1

Just now, 0xdeadbeef said:

...other than winning Big 12  Freshman Offensive Player of the Year,  and throwing for more than 2000 yards in about half the games, he totally didn't light the world on fire.

I'm not saying he sucked but he didn't light the world on fire.  Especially the back half of the season.  He for sure played above his paper as a walk on, but the idea that someone could see him becoming as prolific as he did based off his play at tech is a joke.

2 minutes ago, Doze said:

Amazing to see Coach Bro be the hottest coaching prospect around after getting shitcanned for performance. 

Keep him on the right side of the ball and he's pretty good.

As someone stated earlier, just because someone is a good coordinator, doesn't make them a good head coach. Maybe with time Kliff will be a better head coach, maybe he'll be more like Lane and need to just stick to coordinating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doze said:

Amazing to see Coach Bro be the hottest coaching prospect around after getting shitcanned for performance.

It's actually the exact opposite of this.  The Tech job was his "failure" moment.  This is a bunch of programs attempting to hire him back in the role (OC) that he has had great success in.