CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Geoff Collins seems like a great hire for The Ramblin Wreck....

Would be great to see Georgia Tech Win an ACC Championship again every now and then.  Forgot that the 1990 GaTech team won the National Championship ( UPI/Coaches poll).

Funny how those split titles never get mentioned in 30for30.  And that GTECH is the only Southern program that declined in the last 30 years.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
8257312.png
Florida State has been in contact with several candidates to fill its vacancy at offensive coordinator following the departure of Walt Bell on Monday.

Names of LarryFedora and Kendal Briles have emerged in recent days. 

FSU was rumored to have had interest in both  Kliff Kingsbury, and Hugh Freeze but both have recently taken other coaching positions....

I hate to say it, but Kenny Briles to Florida State might propel the guy to an eventual head coaching gig...

13 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I hate to say it, but Kenny Briles to Florida State might propel the guy to an eventual head coaching gig...

I think with the passage of time, more people will come around and realize that Kendal Briles is a good coach, and no matter what anyone says, he’s a rape enabling sack of shit that shouldn’t be allowed to coach anyone, and if I had my way, someone would take a bat to his knees. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think with the passage of time, more people will come around and realize that Kendal Briles is a good coach, and no matter what anyone says, he’s a rape enabling sack of shit that shouldn’t be allowed to coach anyone, and if I had my way, someone would take a bat to his knees. 

Agreed, & I owe you a posi rep as soon as it re-ups..!

24 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Funny how those split titles never get mentioned in 30for30.  And that GTECH is the only Southern program that declined in the last 30 years.

Uhhh... Couple things wrong with this statement:

-There are lots of other “southern programs” that have declined... Tennessee anyone?

-The 1990 GT Natty was kind of a perfect storm. They were HORRIBLE in the late 70’s and mid 80’s.

-Paul Johnson is the winningest (and longest tenured coach) at GT since Bobby Dodd. He won an ACC championship, made two orange bowls, and had lots of other big, top 10 wins. Things slowed a little bit the last few years but he still went 9-4 in 2016 and will likely go 8-5 this year. Definitely a future CFB HOFer.

4 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

K-State is done. That program's success was all Snyder. Smart move by Littrell...don't ruin your coaching stock by taking that job. 

Seems like Snyder is just hurting KState badly now...... KState's 2019 Recruiting Class will suck, and Snyder keeps blocking any new good  Head Coaches in a futile attempt to get his son the KState HC job.  For me it is hurting Snyder's Legacy at KState the same way as when Mack left Texas.

In some aspects, Snyder is repeating some of the same mistakes that Mack did at the end..... Things that  really hurt and set back the Longhorns FB Program.

Purple Kansas Aggy is a rural outpost in a state with next to zero recruits and what few are there are split between them and KU.  There's a reason Snyder is considering one of the all time greats.  

Their only recruiting ground aside from JUCO's is begging 3 star kids from Texas to play there and those kids have other options closer to home.  It's a terrible stepping stone job and that's before you add in Snyder's meddling.

hiring Mack has brought them more attention in the past few weeks than the last decade.....they report on who he might hire, who he did not hire, who he missed out on and then they still build up who he did hire as being the home run he was looking for....this Army hire seems like it could be a good one, but all the ones he missed out on or was thinking about were going to be huge hires too.....and it does look like he is getting recruiting off to a good start

it would be nice to see an ACC team that is probably not destined for the playoffs go out there and take some players from Big 10, ACC and SEC SEC SEC schools that might be sniffing the playoffs.....the key will be to not let him encroach into Texas too much and make him stay on the east coast mostly where he can take recruits from anyone but Texas and the Big 12 schools

it would be equally nice to see Les Miles dip into Louisiana and other SEC SEC SEC areas and take a few recruits from some of those schools

and at this point KSU needs to tell Snyder to fuck off and that if his son was worth a shit he would have stepped out from his dad's shadow 5 or 6 years ago to get some experience elsewhere to prove he was worth a shit.....if they can't do that then fuck it hire him as head coach and give him 3 years for $1 million and fire him after the first year if he does not win 6 games plus a bowl game and tell him and his dad to fuck off them

either pull the band-aid off now completely or put a bigger one on and be ready to pull it off in one fell swoop ASAP when it is clear it is not stopping the bleeding

Edited by ButtFumble

16 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It's funny when local writers write puff pieces to build up the Program..  Check out who Utah State was rumored to be after besides Gary Andersen....

"SB Nation can confirm former Arizona and West Virginia head coach Rich Rodriguez, Maryland interim head coach Matt Canada, and former Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich were among the names being considered for the job."

USU is an attractive destination, if not a powerhouse program. Yeah, Mormons are weird, but there is about zero crime in Logan, and it's right up there in the Wasatch mountains, so if you have a family, there's all that nature to ramble around in. My sister is from Nashville and her husband is from San Antonio. He's career Air Force. He was stationed in Florida for many years, then got transferred to Utah. They have four boys -- triplets and another -- and they plan on staying in Utah forever. They are not Mormons. So the USU AD could sell it on that angle.  

15 hours ago, Juke_Em said:

K-State is done. That program's success was all Snyder. Smart move by Littrell...don't ruin your coaching stock by taking that job. 

Agreed. They are a mini-Nebraska. Never consistently quite as good as the Huskers even when both programs were at their best, and KSU's downfall will be even more drastic, especially as long as Snyder is in the shadows. 

The trend for retiring coaches in successful programs is to have someone on staff ready to continue the success. Snyder had a particular way that worked for that program. They didn’t have someone ready to keep it going? Is the son really incompetent or something?

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The trend for retiring coaches in successful programs is to have someone on staff ready to continue the success. Snyder had a particular way that worked for that program. They didn’t have someone ready to keep it going? Is the son really incompetent or something?

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Snyder kept demanding his failson be the HC in waiting, which in turn drove off every ambitious coordinator.

20 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

pm Gillooly

• Like 1

Agreed. They are a mini-Nebraska. Never consistently quite as good as the Huskers even when both programs were at their best, and KSU's downfall will be even more drastic, especially as long as Snyder is in the shadows. 

WTF?

Nebraska screwed themselves long term by running to the Big Ten but they had 4 decades of tremendous success under multiple coaches.

Kansas State was the worst program in history before Snyder got there. Calling them a mini-Nebraska may be one of the worst takes I've ever read.
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Snyder kept demanding his failson be the HC in waiting, which in turn drove off every ambitious coordinator.

KState may need to take a chance on an up and coming young offensive minded Coach that has a great personality that KState fans can get behind.....  

Long Shot Coach like Matt Drinkall, architect of the high-powered Kansas Wesleyan offense that is currently averaging 54.3 points per game—good for only third in NAIA....

Edited by LTtxfan

31 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Under Snyder, they were mini-Nebraska. Never quite as good and they face the same hurdles, and now that Snyder is gone, they will fall off the cliff even harder than Nebraska. 

I think you are right, & hopefully things are in order for the Wildcats pre-2025...

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If so, will another asst coaching move occur for Horns to add a recruiter on defensive side??

Hopefully Meh takes Warehime with him and we get Beatty at WR, move Meekins back to TE and get a big time recruiter for DL.

Edited by rickyspub
  • Like 1

K-State needs to be very careful here.  They could easily make the wrong hire leading up to the next round of conference realignment.  

Compare that to KU.  They hired Jeff Long from Arky, who has extensive ties to the OU people and he hired Les Miles, who may not be the greatest coach in the world but he'll get them competitive quickly.  KU knows what the long game is and Purple Kansas Aggy's Snyder worship is going to torpedo them.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:36 PM, Treefidy said:

Except he makes around $450k while KSU was paying Snyder 3.45M.  Just so people don't have to do maths, that's $3M more than he is making, nearly an 8x pay difference.  

Making close to 500k a year might be nice, but there's a lot of shitty jobs I would take for 3.5M

Not to mention 3.5M in Kansas is like making 10M on the coasts

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

K-State needs to be very careful here.  They could easily make the wrong hire leading up to the next round of conference realignment.  

Compare that to KU.  They hired Jeff Long from Arky, who has extensive ties to the OU people and he hired Les Miles, who may not be the greatest coach in the world but he'll get them competitive quickly.  KU knows what the long game is and Purple Kansas Aggy's Snyder worship is going to torpedo them.

is 4 years quickly? Because it's gonna be awhile.  Also, comparing KState to Nebraska, I'm curious how many mini national championships they won.

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Looking forward to more realignment so everything can be our fault again. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wow, that looks like a terrible hire.  

He was Stoops DC in kentuckys 2-10, 5-7, 5-7 campaigns, and CUs 5-7 and 5-6 after his predecessors 10-4 season.  

Who knows how Mel Tucker will fare at CU, but he is a hell of a DC and I wouldn't hire the guy he fired.  

Wow, that looks like a terrible hire.  
He was Stoops DC in kentuckys 2-10, 5-7, 5-7 campaigns, and CUs 5-7 and 5-6 after his predecessors 10-4 season.  
Who knows how Mel Tucker will fare at CU, but he is a hell of a DC and I wouldn't hire the guy he fired.  

Don't think Les cares. Just wants an easy paycheck for 3/4 years before "mutually agreeing" to part ways with Kansas.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Surprised if this is true for DC position at KU.... Kentucky Fans were happy when DJ Eliot left to go to Colorado in 2017.

D.J. Eliot leaving Kentucky Football to join Colorado staff

Kentucky needs a new defensive coordinator, which really has been true since 2013.

By Jason Marcum@marcum89  Jan 18, 2017, 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 12/8/2018 at 7:31 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Purple Kansas Aggy is a rural outpost in a state with next to zero recruits and what few are there are split between them and KU.  There's a reason Snyder is considering one of the all time greats.  

Their only recruiting ground aside from JUCO's is begging 3 star kids from Texas to play there and those kids have other options closer to home.  It's a terrible stepping stone job and that's before you add in Snyder's meddling.

The Wildcats job is in the top 50 now, far better than when Snyder took over the helm; but Kansas State isn't a top 10 or 15 program for the delusioned fans up there...

On 12/9/2018 at 5:21 AM, MaybeACoordinator said:

ImSmukk.gif?noredirect

84245266.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5992234

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 12/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, Machinator said:

Tweet was deleted.

This isn't getting discussed enough.  This is a killer hire, assuming Mack lets them practice tackling in practice.  Bateman is one of the up-and-comers on the defensive side of the ball.

Mack is putting together a badass staff at UNC.

19 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Under Snyder, they were mini-Nebraska. Never quite as good and they face the same hurdles, and now that Snyder is gone, they will fall off the cliff even harder than Nebraska. 

Under Snyder they thrived on JUCOs and an offensive system that didn't much include the option at all. Again completely different from Nebraska.

They're from a neighboring state, that's pretty much it. Still a terrible take.