Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

33 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Say the unlikely happens and he gets canned, who would you like to see as HC?  

If matt Campbell has a good year that seems like a solid choice, likewise the interim guy.   Outside a couple guys tOSU can pick and choose, so who would you want?

Too soon to have that discussion.

44 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Say the unlikely happens and he gets canned, who would you like to see as HC?  

If matt Campbell has a good year that seems like a solid choice, likewise the interim guy.   Outside a couple guys tOSU can pick and choose, so who would you want?

I like Campbell so I hope not, cheating is part of the job description at that school. History tells us you will not run a clean program, name the last non-cheating tosu HC?

25 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

That guys a douche.  If I was accused of domestic abuse by my wife and fired from my job I would go ballistic over it and not sit around justifying shit and defending the guy who fired me.  

But then again I don't abuse my wife.  

This guy is not innocent and there's texts showing this.  This is a calculated defense of urban that's quite transparent.  It makes him look like more of an asshole based on new texts released, but it also helps give Meyer cover that he just didn't know this guy was such a liar when he told him he never hit his wife.   Direct the focus of the public on this Shitbag while reducing the focus on Meyers role.  

• Like 2

That guys a douche.  If I was accused of domestic abuse by my wife and fired from my job I would go ballistic over it and not sit around justifying shit and defending the guy who fired me.  
But then again I don't abuse my wife.  
This guy is not innocent and there's texts showing this.  This is a calculated defense of urban that's quite transparent.  It makes him look like more of an asshole based on new texts released, but it also helps give Meyer cover that he just didn't know this guy was such a liar when he told him he never hit his wife.   Direct the focus of the public on this Shitbag while reducing the focus on Meyers role.  

Oh, he is getting paid I’m sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zach Smith says it never happened.  Urban now says it did and he reported it.  The AD, Gene Smith, has not spoke but he has a choice, either confirm Urban’s statements and he is gone with possible sanctions against osu or he says he was never told and urban is gone.  Either way, no bueno for osu!

7 minutes ago, CockadoodleHorn said:

Zach Smith says it never happened.  Urban now says it did and he reported it.  The AD, Gene Smith, has not spoke but he has a choice, either confirm Urban’s statements and he is gone with possible sanctions against osu or he says he was never told and urban is gone.  Either way, no bueno for osu!

Sounds like they are going with door #1 since it's probably cheaper and they keep their MNC winning coach.   Doubt there would be sanctions for just being the unethical shithead school they already are.  The title IX is not so clear cut or there wouldn't be so much debate over it, urban sounds like he plans to keep his job and doubled down on it today. 

Beating your wife will never end well for you no matter the circumstance or generation.  Urban Meyer missed be nice to women not kin to you day.  He co-opted the core values from whatever coach he stole them from.  He let a murderer run loose at Florida.   Maybe Charlie Strong wrote the core values because he was told to by the Urban.    Maybe not.     

Edited by lemonandaturd

Beating your wife will never end well for you no matter the circumstance or generation.  Urban Meyer missed be nice to women not kin to you day.  He co-opted the core values from whatever coach he stole them from.  He let a murderer run loose at Florida.   Maybe Charlie Strong wrote the core values because he was told to by the Urban.    Maybe not.     

Worked well for him for years. Lost my urban blinders in 2007. If you can coach, hired. If you can play, recruited.

Florida was his first long term gig, he can recruit talent for sure, can’t build a team for shit.

It’s about winning with him, that’s it. Collateral damage be damned. He says the right things, doesn’t practice what he preaches and believe me, he controls the message. There is zero chance he didn’t know. He was caught short by the question because no one in his circle would have let the truth out. Whoops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forde went scorched earth on Urban:

Friday was Protect Urban Day in Columbus, a coordinated media strike designed to shield the coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes.

In a classic late-Friday news dump, Urban Meyer himself got the spin started at 4:22 p.m. ET by releasing a statement on Twitter. What the statement included: Meyer abruptly changing his tune and saying he knew about the allegations of domestic violence against assistant coach Zach Smith in 2015. Meyer says he did the right thing by following “proper reporting protocols and procedures” at the university. What the statement didn’t include: a single syllable of regret for having an alleged abuser on staff for three more years before firing him last month, or concern for Courtney Smith, alleged victim of the abuse at the hands of her ex-husband.

Urban’s statement was all about Urban. Tossing in an unctuous sentence about being the son of a woman and the husband of a woman and the father of two women — thus being a champion of women — was quite the capper.

Then at 5:07 p.m., Zach Smith did a radio interview with a Columbus station, and at 6 p.m. a TV interview with ESPN. Smith did a pretty terrible job painting himself as a believably innocent figure, but he did accomplish one thing: He stuck up for Meyer. Smith said Meyer told him he would be fired if he hit Courtney, and that he knows his former boss’ hardline stance against violence toward women.

It all came out of nowhere. And it’s remarkably brazen.

While on administrative leave, Urban Meyer spoke up. In the process, he shifted responsibility to athletic director Gene Smith and the Ohio State administration — implying that he did his job in this matter, and if there is fault to be found for the handling of Zach Smith it rests somewhere above Meyer. He’s just your average $7 million-a-year mid-level employee.

6f312ed8f3486e528e21b00226cbda37

Ohio State’s Urban Meyer, right, and then-assistant coach Zach Smith, left, gesture from the sidelines during a game. (AP)
More

Breaking his silence while under an independent investigation would seem a dubious strategy. Meyer dragged the issue further into the public domain at a time when conventional wisdom would advise shutting up and cooperating with the inquiry.

But not this guy. Theoretically on thin ice, Urban Meyer skated out to the middle of the pond and basically declared he can walk on water.

If Meyer in any way convinced Zach Smith to go public — and to time it with his own statement — it’s an even more craven act of self-preservation. Smith is facing a domestic violence civil protection order hearing next month. Any lawyer worth his billable hours will tell you that this is not the time to be doing media interviews — especially interviews in which the accused flails around in an unconvincing search for a credible explanation of his innocence.

This is a curious change of strategy from earlier in the week, when Smith’s attorney, Brad Koffel, told The Washington Post: “Zach Smith wants to be as transparent and honest as possible, but it is not going to be done today through the media. It will only be after he and his ex-wife are sworn in to testify.”

Silence is legally golden — unless maybe your old boss, who stood by you through multiple allegations of domestic abuse, called in a marker. Then it’s time to go to the media.

Sorry to be cynical regarding Meyer and his motives, but what’s the point in trusting him? His statement Friday vaguely admitted to lying repeatedly at Big Ten media day when asked about Zach Smith’s 2015 incident. Meyer said in Chicago last month that he knew nothing about it, then Friday admitted he knew about it, trying to chalk up the multiple falsehoods to not being “adequately prepared” for that line of questioning.

Please.

It wasn’t until Brett McMurphy dropping this week’s bombshell, revealing that Courtney Smith had informed Meyer’s wife, Shelley, of Zach’s alleged abuse, that Urban suddenly became truthful. Without that reporting, does anybody believe Meyer’s public stance would have shifted?

Maybe he’s just now “adequately prepared” for telling the truth. At least as part of an orchestrated media power play.

The power play now throws the onus on Gene Smith to show his work, so to speak. What did he do with the Zach Smith allegations? After pulling the wide receivers coach off the recruiting road to question him in 2015, did the whole thing die on the AD’s desk?

Why did a seemingly disposable position coach get the backing of everyone needed to keep his job? Even if Smith never struck his ex-wife, as he maintained, the multiple domestic incidents would make him more trouble than he’s worth in the eyes of many administrators. At the very, very least, he was extended an extraordinary benefit of the doubt by a heavyweight coach and a heavyweight athletic director.

So far, Meyer has taken two swings at explaining his knowledge of the allegations against Zach Smith. The story changed completely from swing one to swing two. The only constant between the two versions is that Urban Meyer is looking out for Urban Meyer, and nobody else.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Sounds like they are going with door #1 since it's probably cheaper and they keep their MNC winning coach.

Excuse me, you're gonna need to explain this to me. You can't reconcile the fact that Urban first denies knowledge, Brett McMurphy breaks the story and Urban summarily fires Smith on the spot, then releases a statement admitting he knew about it and reported it in 2015. If Urban knew about it in 2015 why didn't he immediately fire Smith on the spot in 2015. What changed between 2015 and 2018? The issue came to light. I don't think Urban survives this.

15 minutes ago, sdm said:

Excuse me, you're gonna need to explain this to me. You can't reconcile the fact that Urban first denies knowledge, Brett McMurphy breaks the story and Urban summarily fires Smith on the spot, then releases a statement admitting he knew about it and reported it in 2015. If Urban knew about it in 2015 why didn't he immediately fire Smith on the spot in 2015. What changed between 2015 and 2018? The issue came to light. I don't think Urban survives this.

He's now claiming he did what he was supposed to do and spoke up.  Implying that he let whoever handles these matters fucked up and not him, therefore someone else needs to take the fall.  

We know he lied at media day, he says so today.   We will se who has the power here, does the high power/highly paid and successful coach keep his job while a scapegoat is crafted or does he get canned?   Shit was obviously swept under the rug so the question is who is culpable?  

This crap that played out today was an orchestrated move by Meyer to keep his job and let someone else go down.   

I realize this is an orchestrated effort, but again, he didn't do the right thing in 2015. Urban had the authority to fire Smith in 2015 and chose not to. But then immediately fires him in 2018 when the facts come to light. You can't reconcile that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sdm said:

Actually, let me clarify my thoughts a little more.   Meyer is ZSmiths "boss" but he doesn't sign his paychecks.   I'm sure there's more to the firing process than telling someone to hit the road, particularly when there's legal exposure to the company.  So Meyers stance is he told whoever he was supposed to, the implication being there was no reason found for firing him so he stayed.  

We all know the personal connection, particularly while Bruce was still alive.   Just reading the tea leaves from what urban said today, the smith interview 45 minutes later, the lack of anything out of the AD, and the "impartial" panel set to investigate. 

So Meyers stance is he told whoever he was supposed to, the implication being there was no reason found for firing him so he stayed.  

And my point is there's been no new evidence revealed this past week that wasn't known by the parties involved in 2015. So if the evidence wasn't sufficient for a dismissal in 2015 why is it sufficient now other than that evidence finally saw the light of day. 

Christ.  The right thing to do would have been to immediately go to the AD and say "I'd like to fire him now but I need to know if that would hinder our process for getting this to the proper authorities."

Anyone who thinks Urban Meyer doesn't have ultimate hiring and firing power over assistants is a fool. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Christ.  The right thing to do would have been to immediately go to the AD and say "I'd like to fire him now but I need to know if that would hinder our process for getting this to the proper authorities."

Anyone who thinks Urban Meyer doesn't have ultimate hiring and firing power over assistants is a fool. 

We know that, and we know he didn't want to fire him.  I'm certainly not standing up for the shitbags moral value, just laying out what appears to be his defense.  Just how powerful is he over there?  

14 minutes ago, sdm said:

And my point is there's been no new evidence revealed this past week that wasn't known by the parties involved in 2015. So if the evidence wasn't sufficient for a dismissal in 2015 why is it sufficient now other than that evidence finally saw the light of day. 

Actually there was new shit that happened since 2015, the criminal trespassing charge from a few months ago and the domestic civil filing 3 days before the article.   

I think urban is going to try/trying to claim that he believed smith before because he told the AD or whoever and they didn't find anything so he kept him, but the new charge and filing along with new evidence led to him firing smith.

On tapa, so May have missed this, but worth repeating with McMurphy throwing haymakers on Twitter.

And the replies are all either he or the wife are shits for all the lying.

So, can someone explain to me how a wide receivers coach is worth this? He must have some serious dirt on Urbie

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

On tapa, so May have missed this, but worth repeating with McMurphy throwing haymakers on Twitter.

And the replies are all either he or the wife are shits for all the lying.

So, can someone explain to me how a wide receivers coach is worth this? He must have some serious dirt on Urbie

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Earle Bruce

I hope he gets fired and that program burns to the ground.  Worst fans I have ever met and I've been to collieville and fayetnam.  Anyone who went to that game in Columbus should know as well.  They have a coach who fits their fans profile quite well.  

met a lot of people at different venues and until then I would say Arkansas by far, with weirdo aggy a distant second.  But tOSU could burn in a slow couch fire and I would hold my bladder.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I hope he gets fired and that program burns to the ground.  Worst fans I have ever met and I've been to collieville and fayetnam.  Anyone who went to that game in Columbus should know as well.  They have a coach who fits their fans profile quite well.  

met a lot of people at different venues and until then I would say Arkansas by far, with weirdo aggy a distant second.  But tOSU could burn in a slow couch fire and I would hold my bladder.  

Some of the worst fans I've ever experienced as well (after Miami). Have been twice; first time I figured I just ran into some shithole fans like we all have but it was even worse the second time. I'm sure there are a lot of good fans like Parliament, yet it was certainly my misfortune not to run into any.

Edited by flatdawgs
tOSU

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

But his wife didn't even tell him it was going on...

7 hours ago, sdm said:

I realize this is an orchestrated effort, but again, he didn't do the right thing in 2015. Urban had the authority to fire Smith in 2015 and chose not to. But then immediately fires him in 2018 when the facts come to light. You can't reconcile that.

B-I-N-G-O!

These clowns get so caught up in their legacies that their judgement on some matters get clouded.  He's pretty much going the JoePa route and saying he did what he's supposed to do, it was the others that didn't follow through.  Motherfucker would come out much better if he just admit he failed, failed the defenseless, failed on his team, school and his family.  Then he can go back to ESPN like nothing happened and yuck it up with Reece, Herbie and Lee. 

From the unbelievably tone deaf department, JayPa chimes in.

August 1, 2018

Just a few hours ago a member of the media published a story about Ohio State's Urban Meyer alleging he had knowledge of domestic violence issues involving Ohio State’s now-former wide receiver coach. A former ESPN writer wrote a story on Facebook and now…..

Social media is abuzz with people in the outrage spiral descent where one after another weighs in to show just how much more outraged they are over some alleged wrong. People from other schools on social media are giddy with the excitement of “Urban being in trouble” and breathless in anticipation that he will be fired.

That is what losers do. Being unable to beat someone on the field they take excitement that some other means of derailing a rival will suffice.

I am a Penn Stater but I am an American first. As Penn Staters, we’ve seen the forces of innuendo, implication and allegation damage the lives and careers of good innocent people. 

We should demand something more in America.

We should wait for facts. We should drive a stake in the ground to defend due process. We should shed our implicit bias against people we dislike being accused. We should have courage to stand against the virtual mob gathering for a virtual lynching before we know the facts.

And for those who need a refresher course: Published allegations do NOT automatically equal facts.

https://www.votejaypaterno.com/single-post/2018/08/01/Due-Process-Rule-of-Law-for-Urban-Meyer

Edited by PittsburghTiger

Meh, from where I sit no one at that shit hole gave two fucks about some guy’s wife. What they DO care about is recruiting. And this guy has the goods, and why Urb’s brought his ass with him.

Now, anyone who has worked in a situation where the guys with the real power use their henchmen to do the wet work know two things. First, the guy is good at what he does. And second, he knows all the dirt on all the parties involved. Therefore termination was never an option. At least not without providing him a landing spot. The guy knows where all the bodies are buried for Christ sakes. 

So the way I see it ol’ Gene’o better get his box because his days are numbered. I’m sure they were burning the midnight oil last night putting together his severance package. Which will be good enough that he can retire wherever he wishes....after he signs his NDA.

Urb keeps his job and puts this behind him as he has done throughout his career. And the guy in the crosshairs lays low until the money people can find him a spot same as Tressel.

And lastly the wife. If she has some dirt on Urb, she too may be in line for some cash. If not fuck her for bringing this on the school. 

At the end of the day a MNC may be mythical. But it’s worth millions to the university. They will not term the very guy who brought them one unless they have to. And even then no one knows if anyone at that shit university has enough power to fire him without a prolonged legal battle.

• Fuck You 6

20 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Meh, from where I sit no one at that shit hole gave two fucks about some guy’s wife. What they DO care about is recruiting. And this guy has the goods, and why Urb’s brought his ass with him.

Now, anyone who has worked in a situation where the guys with the real power use their henchmen to do the wet work know two things. First, the guy is good at what he does. And second, he knows all the dirt on all the parties involved. Therefore termination was never an option. At least not without providing him a landing spot. The guy knows where all the bodies are buried for Christ sakes. 

So the way I see it ol’ Gene’o better get his box because his days are numbered. I’m sure they were burning the midnight oil last night putting together his severance package. Which will be good enough that he can retire wherever he wishes....after he signs his NDA.

Urb keeps his job and puts this behind him as he has done throughout his career. And the guy in the crosshairs lays low until the money people can find him a spot same as Tressel.

And lastly the wife. If she has some dirt on Urb, she too may be in line for some cash. If not fuck her for bringing this on the school. 

At the end of the day a MNC may be mythical. But it’s worth millions to the university. They will not term the very guy who brought them one unless they have to. And even then no one knows if anyone at that shit university has enough power to fire him without a prolonged legal battle.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, or for real.

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games