Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

My PhD is in higher ed admin.  I know what the purpose of a BOR is.  I also know at the university level, they tend to consist of individuals who are graduates of that school and have a perceptual bias in favor of their university, especially if they are a big dawg in football.  Can BOR members put aside the bias and butthurt of the fanbase and objectively make a ruling.  That's my question. 

Granted I really don't care since I didn't graduate from there and think that place is trash. 

No need to get snippy. . We don’t want you to get any summer’s eve on your Education Administration diploma. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markstanco said:
3 hours ago, Zharkov said:
Did jimbo ever actually sign his contract? I thought I'd read he still hadn't yet.  Would be hilarious if he jump ship. Not likely I think, but the potential aggy meltdown would be awesome to behold.

They dont want jimbo.

The job opening itself would probably be enough for jimbo to force a raise. Aggie would be scared shitless he would leave. 

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not much of a Twitter guy, although I ponder getting into it again every now and then, but I just lobbed him a CessPool taunt. Fuck that piece of shit. 

Twitter is great and terrible at same time. As long as you try to keep it focused, it's great for sports and markets info.  

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I think it's important to be reminded of the specific bases upon which Meyer would (and likely will) be canned, and not get caught up in the other side stories.  This is a university policy matter more than anything, and even wunnerul lawyers usually can't beat it (I used to audit for the State of Texas and am a little familiar with these kinds of policies, and they are tough to beat):

Meyer has clearly violated these statues, and this is the basis for his firing, whatever else happens.

That said, I can easily see OSU President not firing him, but launching this sickening bullshit "we'll keep him but he's going to go to training" while Ohio State launches some sort of pathetic public initiative on "we have learned from this, and have instituted training for all of our coaches on sexual assault" or some fuckshit like that, then some kind of blitz on how Ohio State has instituted this or that bullshit fake policy or program and show nice videos of women talking with coaches or players and everyone nodding their heads and laughing, "all cleared up!".

I think they're gonna try like fuck to hang onto this guy and try to out-PR the critics.  The perverse part of me thinks it'll be a hoot.  Also if they try to keep him, I can't wait to see how TV handles every Ohio State game... announcers repeatedly chirping that "this is a serious matter but our job is to describe the action on the field only" or some other pathetic bullshit, or some other fakey "awareness of sexual assault" campaign - and mostly, a check/donation - to some womens' causes and presentations on TV front and center.

But really, I'd rather say fuck all of that and fire the bastard.

What is this? Analysis for ants?!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I think it's important to be reminded of the specific bases upon which Meyer would (and likely will) be canned, and not get caught up in the other side stories.  This is a university policy matter more than anything, and even wunnerul lawyers usually can't beat it (I used to audit for the State of Texas and am a little familiar with these kinds of policies, and they are tough to beat):

Meyer has clearly violated these statues, and this is the basis for his firing, whatever else happens.

That said, I can easily see OSU President not firing him, but launching this sickening bullshit "we'll keep him but he's going to go to training" while Ohio State launches some sort of pathetic public initiative on "we have learned from this, and have instituted training for all of our coaches on sexual assault" or some fuckshit like that, then some kind of blitz on how Ohio State has instituted this or that bullshit fake policy or program and show nice videos of women talking with coaches or players and everyone nodding their heads and laughing, "all cleared up!".

I think they're gonna try like fuck to hang onto this guy and try to out-PR the critics.  The perverse part of me thinks it'll be a hoot.  Also if they try to keep him, I can't wait to see how TV handles every Ohio State game... announcers repeatedly chirping that "this is a serious matter but our job is to describe the action on the field only" or some other pathetic bullshit, or some other fakey "awareness of sexual assault" campaign - and mostly, a check/donation - to some womens' causes and presentations on TV front and center.

But really, I'd rather say fuck all of that and fire the bastard.

This is a major issue for tOSU. Rubber stamp Urban and you're getting sued by every subsequent employee dismissed under that policy. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

From T9, it applies to all students, parents, and faculty/staff, not just if it is a student and not just if it is on campus.  Third parties have rights extended to them when the accused is a member of the university community.   So since Smith was on staff and was alleged to have been committing relationship abuse to a third party, it needed to be reported and could have been since both Urbs and his wife are both employees of OSU and Urbs is likely classified as a mandatory reporter since he's in the management role.

Here's OSU's actual policy guide if it helps the debate:

OSU Sexual Misconduct

According to legal experts... Probably not. 

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/questions-about-whether-urban-meyer-may-have-violated-title-ix-or-osu-policy

• Like 1

Given the time it would take to complete an "exonerating" investigation and the risk of more details coming out later (friendly reminder to OSU from Project Veritas), I think we are looking at a negotiated resignation to allow them to get back on track. If Urbs wants to stick to his guns instead of having another heart attack, he could drag this out though.

39 minutes ago, Loco said:

What is this? Analysis for ants?!

Whoosh, I don't get it.

29 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

This is a major issue for tOSU. Rubber stamp Urban and you're getting sued by every subsequent employee dismissed under that policy. 

Oh yeah, definitely.  But this is Urban Meyer.  I'm saying they are clutching at something to try and keep him. The fact that he's not been canned already is to me evidence of that.

8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Oh yeah, definitely.  But this is Urban Meyer.  I'm saying they are clutching at something to try and keep him. The fact that he's not been canned already is to me evidence of that.

That was my thought when I read they were forming a committee to investigate.  Seems like the marching orders are "find something/anything that will allow us to keep him"

10 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Whoosh, I don't get it.

Had they fired him without following process, his lawyers would have made their life even more miserable.

27 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Well, I was talking about who was covered, not if he'd be fired, but, ok...let's play that.   Did those guys take this into consideration too?

The new clause in Urban Meyer's contract that might matter now

New paragraph 4.1 (e) of Meyer's extension reads:

Coach shall promptly report to Ohio State's Title IX Athletics any known violations of Ohio State's Sexual Misconduct Policy (including, but not limited to, sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking) that involve any student, faculty or staff or that is in connection with a university sponsored activity or event. ... For purposes of this Section 4.1 (e), a "known violation" shall mean a violation or allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has reasonable cause is taking place or may have taken place.

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

Okay.  Cool. 

Hey bud. I’m just impressed you’ve sent consecutive posts without bringing up race or criticizing whitey. You should pay yourself on the back. 

Edited by Guest
I was just checking the specs on the endline for the...rotary...girder... I'm retarded.

9 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Hey bud. I’m just impressed you’ve sent consecutive emails without bringing up race or criticizing whitey. You should pay yourself on the back. 

Do you know where you are grandpa?

CR beef cannot be contained

• Haha 1

https://www.statesman.com/news/national/what-title-and-what-does-have-with-urban-meyer/L7orgHCM66ZtRWJzVsRlQN/

How does Title IX apply to the Meyer situation?

Meyer received a contract extension in March. In the contract is a clause that says Meyer must report “any known violations of Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy” to the school’s Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinator for athletics.

The school’s policy says employees must report, “sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking” involving any student, faculty or staff. 

The policy states that it applies to sexual misconduct that takes place on university property or at “university-sponsored events regardless of their location.” 

It goes on to say the policy may “apply to alleged sexual misconduct that occurs off-campus, including virtual spaces, when the Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinator determines that the alleged sexual misconduct could reasonably create a hostile environment” for students or student athletes.

A “known violation,” per Meyer’s contract, refers to an incident that the coach knows has happened or has “reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place.”

1.  Does the conduct meet the reporting requirement?  Intimate violence or stalking, yepper

2.  Could the off-campus conduct create a hostile environment for students or student athletes [or other staff]?  This might be tough to argue.

25 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Hey bud. I’m just impressed you’ve sent consecutive emails without bringing up race or criticizing whitey. You should pay yourself on the back. 

20 minutes ago, B00M said:

Do you know where you are grandpa?

CR beef cannot be contained

Fixed. God I’m old. I literally just turned 40 this week. It’s tough being Brat’s grandson. 

18 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

https://www.statesman.com/news/national/what-title-and-what-does-have-with-urban-meyer/L7orgHCM66ZtRWJzVsRlQN/

1.  Does the conduct meet the reporting requirement?  Intimate violence or stalking, yepper

2.  Could the off-campus conduct create a hostile environment for students or student athletes [or other staff]?  This might be tough to argue.

If other football operations staff, assistant coaches and their wives were dragged into this mess because of Smith beating his wife and they had to walk on eggshells for fear of losing their jobs for speaking out arguably could be a hostile environment that affects "programs or activities" of the university.  

12 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If other football operations staff, assistant coaches and their wives were dragged into this mess because of Smith beating his wife and they had to walk on eggshells for fear of losing their jobs for speaking out arguably could be a hostile environment that affects "programs or activities" of the university.  

Wat?

Does the clause in his contract retroactively apply to domestic violence incidents that happened previously? I think the official position is going to be that Urbs fired Smith for the first domestic violence incident that occurred after he signed his new contract. And that he was not obligated to do anything regarding previous incidents.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pops said:

funkhouser_portrait.jpg

Yes, it's true: having your eyebrows surgically removed can save you hours and hours you'd otherwise spend plucking.

However... unlike what you see in the picture, it's not a good idea to do it at home using a dull box-cutter.

3 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I don't understand circling the wagons to protect coaches/staff/players who are legally or ethically in the wrong. If this type of ordeal happened at Texas, I would want Bellmont to sever all ties with the people involved. I don't care how much value someone provides from a sports standpoint, it isn't worth having the university's reputation permanently damaged and having my alma mater become a punchline for domestic violence, rape, pedo jokes, etc. 

This type of thing can unfortunately happen anywhere. I think the public can largely forgive an institution and its fans if they feel the institution did everything possible to cut the cancer out. People are not forgiving when it appears the institution (or a large percentage of the fans) makes attempts to protect the people involved (see: Baylor, Pedo St).

yeah, i said this earlier. i simply do not understand why people rush to rationalize the unthinkable. if this happens at texas, i want pounds of flesh. i don't want a cover up. no man or team is bigger than the university.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

Wat?

Do you think the assistant coaches or staff who may have wanted to speak out would do so and buck Urban Meyer?  Zach Smith's conduct very likely affected the football operations workplace in a negative way.  If the university believes that Urban violated Title IX reporting requirements and that such is a firing offense, the argument can be made that Smith's conduct off campus affected their programs and activities and may have created a hostile environment.  What is so difficult for you to understand about that?  .  

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

The argument that their system allows employees to beat the shit out of their wives as long as it's off-campus and the wife is not an employee should be a real winner in the court of public opinion.

no one is saying that. Just that it doesn't fall under title 9 in this case. Keep swinging at those windmills, bud. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

37 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

How about the Pepperdine Sports Law professor?

https://mobile.twitter.com/RulingSports

Oh no, a professor! They've never been wrong before! 

Any employee who receives a disclosure of a sexual assault or becomes aware of information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a sexual assault may have occurred involving anyone covered under this policy, must report all known information immediately.

Emphasis added

Here's an appeal to authority since you like this, an Ohio Title IX attorney said

You have to report all violations of sexual misconduct, even those regarding third parties.

Oh, here's a relevant authority, Ohio State policy available at https://hr.osu.edu/wp-content/uploads/policy115.pdf:

The university community seeks to eliminate sexual misconduct through education and by encouraging everyone to report concerns or complaints,

including third parties when the accused is a member of the university community.

V. Reporting Allegations of Sexual Misconduct

A. Reports/complaints of alleged sexual misconduct can be made by any individual who is directly involved in, who observes, or who reasonably believes that sexual misconduct may have occurred. This includes allegations by third parties against any individual covered by this policy. See IV-Employee Duty to Report section. Note below that only some reporting methods satisfy this duty.

You got any more opinions from people thousands of miles away who haven't done their research? I'm interested in reading more.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Title 9 says Urb had a legal obligation to report.

I'm not privy to know how or if that happened, but it certainly is a title 9 concern.

As did his wife as an employee of the university. The administration also has an easy out, because there is a clause in Urban's contract that states he must immediately report all Title IX violations he knows about concerning his players, staff, and support personnel. If this 6 person panel of slap dicks find out he knew in 2015 and didn't say a word, which is about a 99.9% certainty at this point, they have an out to fire him with cause.

At this point I think the panel is trying to find out who else is getting fired.

Edited by HtownHorn

• bob in houston changed the title to Urban Meyer suspended first 3 games