2018 Longhorns Fall Practice/Football Season Thread

Tex Pete

21 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm gonna get on the record that I think Kirk makes it to the season healthy and finishes the year with the highest ypc on the team. Limited carries (3rd or 4th most) and not a lot of TDs. 

Now let me go find some wood to knock the fuck out of

E: Going off nothing but blind faith and belief in his grind here. It's one of my bold predictions for the season. Speaking of, we need a 'Call your shot' type thread in the week leading up to the season. 

I like the cut of your jib.

This is why highlights are not a good representation of what halpened. He was fucking awful in that game. . 
what were his responsibilities and reads/keys?

I seem to recall a couple games where he seemed to be playing 4 positions... sometimes on the same play. I think he was being asked to do too much to cover too many deficiencies.

10 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm gonna get on the record that I think Kirk makes it to the season healthy and finishes the year with the highest ypc on the team. Limited carries (3rd or 4th most) and not a lot of TDs. 

Now let me go find some wood to knock the fuck out of

E: Going off nothing but blind faith and belief in his grind here. It's one of my bold predictions for the season. Speaking of, we need a 'Call your shot' type thread in the week leading up to the season. 

So you are telling me the coaches are going to run the least yards per carry rb’s the most again this season......   Great

Watson is still no-contact. CTH said the presser that they'll test him again on Monday and hopefully he'll be ready for contact. Right now just 7v7 and individual drills. 
I'm guessing the ankle breaker is Kyle Porter Kirko Grinds or Toneil. Level 2 that Kirk's fast twitch moves have been super so far. I know we're all tempering expectations for him but it's good to hear he's still fast and quick after the injuries, although CTH has already said he needs to learn to apply it within the playbook. 

I see a red stripe on his helmet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Domedriver said:

A proper mix for Burnt Orange Kool-aid for the preseason is this:

In a large glass or mug 20-26 oz, size depending on proximity to refill or crusin, if hunting tail I suggest the large Yeti or like type big cup.

1) Fill to above half with ice

2) float the ice with Heradura Reposado

3) Top with OJ to a true Burnt Orange

4) Drink and become more ready for the season that awaits us.

Under its influence you will actually like our QB, line and corches after al it can only help.

Why can't  any of you assholes spell Herradura?

14 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

Maryland fans expect their offense to be better this year still I'm not worried about our defense. They should be motivated after the shitshow last year. Can the offense consistently put up TD's not FG's on the road in a semi-hostile environment? IDK. 

As far as talent goes, I'd take their rb's, Carter and Aniebonam on our team.   

Their offense should be better than they were over the course of last season, considering the QB injuries. However, I doubt that they'll be better than the healthy Maryland offense we saw, which included a 1st round WR that they won't have this year. 

I feel that our defense is going to come out hyped against Maryland.  Nothing really against Malik and the early draft guys, but I like seeing guys like Roach and Hager leading the defense.  Charles O is also having a monster offseason from the looks of it and should be terror on the edge.  GJ is going to be key to the defense.  Honestly not too worried about the secondary, and I'm excited to see Sterns back there with Brandon Jones...athletic as fuck.

I think the offense needs to get the run game going against Maryland.  It will lead to opening up the middle for LJH and the deep routes for Johnson.

I'm a lot more excited for this season than I've been in a while, but I am also cautiously optimistic based on past results.  This team just needs to not crumble when one thing goes wrong and we'll be fine.

• Like 1

That's a part of the Maryland article that made me smile. The writer said last year's offense did well against a top rated Texas defense.

The defense that played against Maryland wasn't the 2017 Texas defense. It was the 2016 defense with different players and coach. They still played with the "better wait and see, my teammate might mess up" approach. Even though Orlando had drilled them all summer to know their role, then execute with bad intentions, the defense played that first game unsure and timid.

The Texas players have put in the work to be elite. We know that. It comes down, then, to the mental aspect as sports usually does. It gets calle swagger or momentum or mojo or a bunch of other terms, but it all means conquering the mind. Once you've done the preparation, knowing that you'll act instinctively without second guessing or doubting produces championships.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-bowl-projections-preseason-calls-for-each-of-the-2018-19-games/

First round of bowl projections and Jerry Palm has us in the Sugar Bowl getting roasted by Georgia

fify

Edited by Thetexashammer

I tortured myself and re-watched the Maryland game last night... I'm not going to discuss the D because that was painful but the O just shot itself in the foot soooo many times.  They actually moved the ball pretty well just never cashed in.

Drove down.. Missed FG

Blocked FG

Converted and had 1st and G set-up. Off PI. Called back. 

1st an G set-up.. Go for it on 4th. Come away with nothing. 

15 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

I tortured myself and re-watched the Maryland game last night... I'm not going to discuss the D because that was painful but the O just shot itself in the foot soooo many times.  They actually moved the ball pretty well just never cashed in.

Drove down.. Missed FG

Blocked FG

Converted and had 1st and G set-up. Off PI. Called back. 

1st an G set-up.. Go for it on 4th. Come away with nothing. 

I did the same a few days ago and had forgotten how awful our FG kicker was last year. The blocked kick was maybe 5 feet off the ground, just ridiculous. 

This has to do with the 2019 season, but LSU has now had two guys get in trouble (Edward Ingram and Tyler Taylor) who likely would have been starters for our 2019 LSU matchup, who likely won't be on the team anymore by then 

2 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

With the way sec cheats the bowl matchups, not a chance aggie play Michigan. They will seek an easy win like Wake, KSU or Louisville...Oh wait

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Goodman said:

With the way sec cheats the bowl matchups, not a chance aggie play Michigan. They will seek an easy win like Wake, KSU or Louisville...Oh wait

The SEC would want a relevant brand to play Michigan. No way aggy plays them.

If none of the eligible SEC teams had much chance of beating meatchicken they would...doesn't tarnish the brand too much if you throw one of the noobs to the slaughter.

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
36 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If none of the eligible SEC teams had much chance of beating meatchicken they would...doesn't tarnish the brand too much if you throw one of the noobs to the slaughter.

I'm not too sure it would be a slaughter, which I'd want of Herculean proportions if aggy did play MeatChicken. 

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

Kirk is winning the Heisman this year you dickwads.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kirko's got as much as 3 years eligibility left right?

Any production out of him this year is unexpected and gravy at this point.  Bubble wrap him now to preserve his near mint status and see what he can do during the regular season.  

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

USC starting OLB Portet Gustin will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus and said to be out 2-5 weeks so he could potentially not play in Austin depending how his recovery goes.

Isn't that the same surgery that Connor Williams had after the USC game last year? He didn't return until WVU (week 11). Seems unlikely that Gustin will be back by week 3, especially considering that he will have missed fall camp.

19 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Isn't that the same surgery that Connor Williams had after the USC game last year? He didn't return until WVU (week 11). Seems unlikely that Gustin will be back by week 3, especially considering that he will have missed fall camp.

I don't think Williams had surgery during the season. 

16 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Connor's injury was a sprained MCL, not a meniscus tear.