Hard Knocks -- 2018 Cleveland Browns -- The Search for One Win

Patrick Bateman

is there really something that you can put your money in that guarantees 10%? 

He referenced some arbitrary set of years that seems to be marking the great depression as the starting point. So I looked it up and sure enough the S&P 500 has come close to producing that 10% average rate of return since then so that's clearly what he's talking about.   

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
On 8/22/2018 at 12:44 PM, Bogeywon said:
is there really something that you can put your money in that guarantees 10%? 

He referenced some arbitrary set of years that seems to be marking the great depression as the starting point. Sure enough the S&P 500 has come close to producing that 10% rate of return since then so that's clearly what he's talking about.

This is exactly what my financial advisor pulled out for me as an example and it’s gained exactly 10%

Also I don't know if I am just making this up, or if I am correct on this, but it seems like this season blows when it comes to showing personnel decisions.  Most of the previous ones show multiple weeks(last couple episodes) of cuts I thought when the decision making etc that goes into this.  This season we haven't seen any cuts, so they will only be on the finale.  

After looking it up it looks like the NFL did away with cutting to 75 players about a week prior to cutting to the 53 man roster.  This season the 53 man roster cut won't be until 9/1 so that explains the above I guess....but doesn't make for great tv.  

For the most part to me this has been a pretty lame season.  Nothing super intriguing.  No position battles being followed.  No cuts made.  

Edited by Scraps

Also I don't know if I am just making this up, or if I am correct on this, but it seems like this season blows when it comes to showing personnel decisions.  Most of the previous ones show multiple weeks(last couple episodes) of cuts I thought when the decision making etc that goes into this.  This season we haven't seen any cuts, so they will only be on the finale.  
After looking it up it looks like the NFL did away with cutting to 75 players about a week prior to cutting to the 53 man roster.  This season the 53 man roster cut won't be until 9/1 so that explains the above I guess....but doesn't make for great tv.  

For the most part to me this has been a pretty lame season.  Nothing super intriguing.  No position battles being followed.  No cuts made.  
The 3 coaches have been entertaining( haley, William's and Lard ass)

he gone

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24513086/cleveland-browns-release-mychal-kendricks-linebacker-charged-insider-trading

The Cleveland Browns have released linebacker Mychal Kendricks after he was charged Wednesday with insider trading by federal prosecutors to make nearly $1.2 million in illegal profits on four major investments four years ago.

In a statement, the Browns said they were aware of Kendricks' involvement prior to signing him to a one-year deal in June, but "circumstances have changed" and the team has elected to release him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kendricks apologized earlier Wednesday in a statement shortly after the announcement by U.S. Attorney William McSwain, admitting to insider trading and saying he accepts "full responsibility for my actions" and that he "knew it was wrong."

Damilare Sonoiki, a television writer, also has been charged with assisting Kendricks in his investments.

McSwain, the U.S. Attorney for the District Court of Eastern Pennsylvania, said both Kendricks and Sonoiki face "substantial prison time" if convicted.

"I would like to apologize," Kendricks said in the statement released by his attorneys. "Four years ago, I participated in insider trading, and I deeply regret it. I invested money with a former friend of mine who I thought I could trust and who I greatly admired. His background as a Harvard graduate and an employee of Goldman Sachs gave me a false sense of confidence.

"To this point, I had worked my tail off since I was 5 years old to become a football player. I was drawn in by the allure of being more than just a football player. While I didn't fully understand all of the details of the illegal trades, I knew it was wrong, and I wholeheartedly regret my actions."

Kendricks, 27, said he has cooperated with the authorities and "will continue to do so." He also said he would repay all of the illegally gained funds.

Kendricks spent his first six seasons with the Eagles before being released by Philadelphia in May. A source told ESPN's Tim McManus the team was aware Kendricks was being investigated prior to his release.

"I sincerely apologize to my coaches, the owners, and my teammates on the Eagles and the Browns, the NFL, and the magnificent fans to whom I owe my career," Kendricks said in the statement. "I also apologize to my family, who I have failed in this. You all deserve better, and I will work my hardest to re-earn your trust and respect, serve as an advocate to educate others, and show you that I will never be involved in anything like this again."

According to prosecutors, Sonokoi is a former investment banking analyst at a large investment bank who tipped Kendricks to four corporate acquisitions from the bank from July 2014 to November 2014.

In exchange for the illegal tips, prosecutors say Kendricks gave Sonoiki $10,000 in cash kickbacks, along with additional perks such as tickets to Eagles games and a luxury car service.

20 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Garrett is a fucking beast.  Shame he was an aggy.  

He has developed better than I expected. In college, he had one move(speed rush) and if it did not work, he would just quit. He has seemed to develop some more moves since he got there. Saw him use both a rip and swim move, in those highlights.

On 8/31/2018 at 11:24 AM, bamachine said:

He has developed better than I expected. In college, he had one move(speed rush) and if it did not work, he would just quit. He has seemed to develop some more moves since he got there. Saw him use both a rip and swim move, in those highlights.

He had to have been half assing it in college.  Why risk yourself when you already know you're a high draft pick? Same thing happening on The 40.

The show doesn't excite me much any more, hasn't in a few years. Formula is formula, same stories different faces, all loser teams with horribad coaches. It's pretty much a bigger budget version of Storage Wars, maybe not quite as fake, but some of it is definitely staged for the show. Lot of fun for a while, but gets pretty stale after you've seen enough of it.

Frankly this season should have been epic -- Josh Gordon MIA, Callaway drug stop and excuses, high priced UFA WR, two of the biggest assholes in the NFL as coordinators, #1 draft pick, and a dude who was indicted on insider trading!!!!  When can you say that?  And of course all the dudes on the cut line.  Instead we got a dog wondering the building, a fat OL coach (the novelty!), and a HC who's probably getting fired at the end of the season.  Why was there nothing on on their running backs -- Duke Johnson, Hyde, and Nick Chubb, another high draft pick?  They did very little on Garrett and you really have no feel how this team will do..... I'm thinking 5-11ish but you have no idea if they're that much better.  They should have gone into the Sashi Brown vs Dorsey angle too.  Overall, felt like a C..... but hey, it's the Browns.  They'd take a C level performance.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I guess it has something to do with the players’ attitude toward the show. Guys like Gordon and Chubb seem like they wanted nothing to do with the show.

I hadn’t watched since the Texans in 2015 but thought the Browns might be an entertaining train wreck.  The season did end up as kind of a dud though.  The Hue Jackson experience was amusing at times.